The Official Drake ‘VIEWS’ Album Thread

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited April 2016 in The Reason
2SiyPDu.png
@Sion

Drake’s If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late is easily the best selling Hip Hop album of the year.

And it probably won’t be Drizzy’s only album of 2015.

Views From The 6 has been chatted about since 2014, and Drake may be dropping a big hint on when we’re going to get the LP on his OVO website.

Drake-OVO.png

If it does drop on September 24 do you think it has a chance to surpass IYRTITL, which is approaching 1.5 million sales + streaming?

We’re thinking that if anybody can top Drake in 2015 it would have to be Drake.

Comments

• DOPEdweebz
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    If that ? wants to change the game, put it up for sale on the website and watch the bank account for the first 48 hours. It's an album so ppl are going to pay money for it.

Why go through a label at this point. He should have done that on his first album. Now it's a sure bet more than ever so I don't get why he doesn't do it. He's going to do platinum in the first week anyways so what does he have to lose but gain ? Maaaaannn....

He's basically the modern-day Jay-Z consistency of sales wise, so why not? A man with as many hits as him (I don't think anyone in hip hop has more number ones than Drake now) should own his own publishing by now or from now on. He would be a 100 times richer, and I don't think he's slowing down pop wise.

It's time for Drake, the "BUSINESSMAN", to transcend the Drake, the artist.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can you make threads without typing in all caps my ? ?
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i heard some of the tracks . its dope
  • 216atlran
    216atlran Members Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Worl'boss wrote: »

Where?

• RickyRich
    edited July 2015
    Options
    216atlran wrote: »

Where?

im cool wit some of the ovo ? and they was playin some of his music
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If that ? wants to change the game, put it up for sale on the website and watch the bank account for the first 48 hours. It's an album so ppl are going to pay money for it.

Why go through a label at this point. He should have done that on his first album. Now it's a sure bet more than ever so I don't get why he doesn't do it. He's going to do platinum in the first week anyways so what does he have to lose but gain ? Maaaaannn....
    Because he's signed a contract mate. As the IC's so-called "business guru" I thought you'd know this. You seen how IYRTITL went from being a mixtape to an album because Cash Money wanted part of that money.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

im cool wit some of the ovo ? and they was playin some of his music

I heard it suppose to sound like 808s... That's the feels you got from it?

• bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

because he HAS to.

hes still contractually obligated to give Cash Money 6 of them thangs all day.

So Far Gone EP
    Thank Me Later
    Take Care
    Nothing Was The Same
    If You're Reading This Its Too Late
    Views from The 6

after this, he can do that whole direct to consumer route if he wants.
  •  i ro ny
    Options

Because he's signed a contract mate. As the IC's so-called "business guru" I thought you'd know this. You seen how IYRTITL went from being a mixtape to an album because Cash Money wanted part of that money.

Pretty sure IYRTITL fulfilled contractual obligations with Cash Money. Also artists drop "mixtapes" all the time, you telling me he couldn't make an album or EP and sell it on his website ? Why not ? And if the label is the problem why not work out a deal to give his label a portion of the proceeds ? Rappers man SMMFH

it didnt.

hes still with Cash Money. Don't you think it would be the biggest headline in rap music if Drake was an INDEPENDENT artist right now?

He cant sell his music independently yet, so no. Drake could have dropped If You're Reading This Its Too Late as a mixtape and nobody would have seen a penny from it outside of touring.

•  i ro ny
    Options

Pretty sure IYRTITL fulfilled contractual obligations with Cash Money. Also artists drop "mixtapes" all the time, you telling me he couldn't make an album or EP and sell it on his website ? Why not ? And if the label is the problem why not work out a deal to give his label a portion of the proceeds ? Rappers man SMMFH

The way his deal works is like this:

Drake is signed with Aspire/Young Money/Cash Money Records and is distributed by Universal
    Drake got a $2 million advance (I’ll give you a moment to read that again)
    Drake retains the publishing rights to his songs and only pays 25% of his music sales revenues to the label as a “distribution fee”
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "only pays 25% of his music sales revenues to the label..."

which label though? There's 4 labels involved in total..
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    "only pays 25% of his music sales revenues to the label..."

which label though? There's 4 labels involved in total..

If I had to make a guess, it would be Universal.
  •  i ro ny
    edited July 2015
    Options
    50 Cent dropped mixtapes, some of which were sold in stores, Drake's So Far Gone also had retail copies and this was before he was signed to a major. All I'm saying is I don't see the point in a label anymore. I would just put my music out on my website and call it a day. Aside from maybe international distribution and a label marketing a major artist like a blockbuster movie I don't see the point. Most of that he could do from his own pockets. To each his own tho.

the So Far Gone EP, which was sold in stores, is a CASH MONEY album. look it up.

Theres a BIG point in labels. If you want your music to have the biggest platform possible, you sign to a major.

Ideally, every body wants to do the whole "i'll just put it on my website and sell it direct-to-consumer". Yeah, you can do that AFTER the deal.

Any label that would allow you to do that ? while on contract would be ? dumb.
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    Could not be me fam, I wouldn't sell my rights to my own material to a major. I'd stay independent & only have them distribute my records a la Master P or Tech N9ne. In short term sure I can see why one would but after album 1 or 2 ? FOH I'm sprouting my wings and building my own.

It's all about your goals and realizations.

Sometimes it just makes sense for certain artists to remain independent.
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    And btw, no major label creates 2 album contracts. Usually, they get 5 out of you.
  • RickyRich
    Options
    Cant really give out much info on it but its goin to be crazy
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TO SIMP A BUTTERFLY
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    6 gawd been very patient with us...
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    How crazy would it be if Drake dropped VFT6 on September 24th ? Got dayum I really think the internet would EXPLODE.

That album is his most important album yet, he has to show progression and I still think in order to cement himself he NEEDS his true classic album.

i think Drake low key already dropped a classic. You can hear other rappers with the same sound already like Travis Scott and Mac Miller.
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

because he already signed the contract lol
  • antarticp
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »

in light of that drake def is far from being business minded lol ... #1 that would of slowed up the process of getting out of his contract ... and #2 he wasnt focused on pushing the culture forward .... by cash money stepping in with thier greed they accidently pushed it forward with putting that piiece of work on paper instead of just letting it go for free and off the books ........ as drake was planning to do ............
  • antarticp
    edited September 2015
    Options

you about to learn why signing a contract is very similar to slavery lol #propertybelongstoMASTAH #hegottasayyesFIRST lol
  • antarticp
    edited September 2015
    Options
    50 Cent dropped mixtapes, some of which were sold in stores, Drake's So Far Gone also had retail copies and this was before he was signed to a major. All I'm saying is I don't see the point in a label anymore. I would just put my music out on my website and call it a day. Aside from maybe international distribution and a label marketing a major artist like a blockbuster movie I don't see the point. Most of that he could do from his own pockets. To each his own tho.

easier said than DONE ... I dont know much about tech but i know he has a business partner who prob has all the $$ and resources to help get his thing rolling .... master p spent 25k alone just getting advice form a lawyer working his way to that indy deal ... most artist coming up dont have access to that kind of cash ... let alone have a legitimate support system ... you need a team ... it aint all just about the music ... if it were it would be alot more folks on that are great @ making music .........