Let's talk about the soul.

Options

Comments

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please, research neuroscience. We have a great explanation for these things.

Who is "we" not every scientist agrees with the mainstream opinions of neuroscience. In fact slowly materialistic science is breaking apart. Even hard nosed skeptics like Michael Shermer have had unexplained things happen to him

Logical rational thinking only come from one part of the brain, what happens when humans use every part of their brain to understand the world and universe inside and outside of them.

You talk as if you have everything figure out, but you are a puppet to your own EGO
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    I just think it's odd you have access to peer reviewed evidence that hasn't received an absurd amount of publicity. If you think it's cohesive and can withstand critique, post it,

Most peer reviewed studies are false, fake and fudged and have been for decades. A lot of scientists have agenda how would certain scientist or skeptic get funding...smh

http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/90-of-peer-reviewed-clinical-research-is-completely-false-greenmedinfo/#.VgyYzZdKWyI

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

• KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Body is like a car. We jump in the car, and drive it.. we too, jump in the human body, and drive it. Crash it or whatever and when it breaks down beyond repair, we get up outta there.. hopefully.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Many Christians are taught through tradition to believe animals don't have a soul, but this is what the word says:
    Ecclesiastes 3:21 - Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth.

As for me, I guess the difference of what you're really asking is the difference between the brain vs a soul. Or difference of the mind vs the soul.
    Basically, how can one answer this? I don't know.
    I can try to say the soul is that piece of you that makes you-you. Meaning that side that talks to you, tells you what to think, searches for your convictions, fights against your bodies cravings or gives in but it ultimately is that decision maker for the intangible things that effect your behavior. Like a consultant or conscience.
    Your mind is 'like' a muscle. Some people's work better than others. Recall ability, memory, understanding things quickly or slowly, observing and calculating, controlling other body movements and in direct link to your soul. In this body the two go together.

A person brain dead that comes back to life is interesting. A person who isn't braindead, but loses all normal mental functions is interesting, people with downsyndrome or brain disorders that effect personality bring questions of the soul to mind.
    There is no way to answer the question of if the soul exists. To me, it seems like it does. Emotions seem to border more on the soul level, although even those can be effected with caffeine and a little bit of alcohol.
    I can't wait until we do brain transplants. That'll be crazy.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I also think your evidence of the spirit and soul is in the fact that something controls your brain and tells it what to do, what to think, what not to think, what to pay attention to and your brain obeys it. Your arm doesn't do things unless you make it do something, this is the same thing for the brain. In other words what is telling your brain what or who is telling your brain to do?
    On another note, proving the soul exists is how I thought on this recently due to your thread.
    Depression is not physical. It is a mental state that cannot really be proven. However, we accept it exists even though you can't look in one's body and say there it is. But yet, depression can lead increase tension, contribute to high blood pressure, increase cancers in your body and make you physically (I repeat physically) ill.
    This is an invisible emotion a state of the spirit and soul NOT caused by the brain but that part of you that is the soul.
    So the state of the soul can effect the body directly without the need of the brain or body. In reverse the soul if happy, and put in a different state that can change one's depression can also physically heal the body and normalize blood pressure, fight cancers, improve your immune system and balance the chemicals in your body. It can do all this without medicine (I believe in medicine and I'm not saying don't use it).
    So, if the mind or soul or spirit is capable of effecting the body without being a physical object one can identify then I use these examples as proof of its existence in contrast to the brain.

Soul tells brain what to do and soul can effect your body based on your soul's state. Also the body can also effect the state of one's soul/feelings.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Animals have souls. Soul is what makes it a living being. Spirit is what allows you to make a choice between good and bad.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Animals have souls. Soul is what makes it a living being. Spirit is what allows you to make a choice between good and bad.

yea i do think there is a piece of soul even in every insect or plant
    few weeks ago i drank ayahuasca and i felt a plant tried to communicate with me breh, that was some trippy ish

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't believe a soul, or a mind separate from a body, exists. Mind is an emergent property of a brain/body. Any notion about the soul is purely speculative.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    I don't believe a soul, or a mind separate from a body, exists. Mind is an emergent property of a brain/body. Any notion about the soul is purely speculative.

Quite an ironic opinion given your screename. Longtime no see bruh.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »

Quite an ironic opinion given your screename. Longtime no see bruh.

How so? Long time indeed. Hope all is well. I don't plan on sticking around. I've been avoiding social media and online forums.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is in the form that are basically saying, matter is energy and can the information that we obtain exist outside of this current dynamic of existence? That is the question and people would love to have that answered, but possibly so.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

It is in the form that are basically saying, matter is energy and can the information that we obtain exist outside of this current dynamic of existence? That is the question and people would love to have that answered, but possibly so.

The conservation of energy doesn't prove souls exist. And energy is not the self. The brain is a complex structure that gives us the illusion of a soul or a "thinker behind the thoughts". From a Buddhist perspective, one of the three marks of existence is no-self, or anatta. Buddha said, "this exists because that exists". Thus, consciousness exists because brains exist.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The conservation of energy doesn't prove souls exist. And energy is not the self. The brain is a complex structure that gives us the illusion of a soul or a "thinker behind the thoughts". From a Buddhist perspective, one of the three marks of existence is no-self, or anatta. Buddha said, "this exists because that exists". Thus, consciousness exists because brains exist.

I can ? with that. I'm just saying right now that is correct, but we can be surprised about what we find out in the future. New found information replaces old current thinking.
  • Bodhi
    Options
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ the bolded, so you willfully admit that "the brain is a complex structure", which it is; but yet don't believe that said "complex structure" had an intelligent designer?

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

The largest machine ever built as well as the most complex experimental facility ever built is this:

atlas-large.jpg

Please do tell me how something like the LHC took intelligence to make, but yet the brain had no intelligent designer behind it?

HOW?

are-you-serious-gif.gif

• Bodhi
    edited December 2015
    Options

@ the bolded, so you willfully admit that "the brain is a complex structure", which it is; but yet don't believe that said "complex structure" had an intelligent designer?

Please do tell me how something like the LHC took intelligence to make, but yet the brain had no intelligent designer behind it?

HOW?

Through the natural process of evolution, starting from the Big Bang, it took about 13 billion years for the human brain to exist as it does today.

It took about 30 years to build the LHC...
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    13 billion years is very very very very fast for something like the human brain to evolve the ? dinosaurs were around longer than that and there is no indication that they evolved a brain that can come close to matching ours.

the whole problem with the position that humankind just somehow naturally came to exist on chance is that it makes no ? sense the odds are too astronomical.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2015
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    13 billion years is very very very very fast for something like the human brain to evolve the ? dinosaurs were around longer than that.

The dinosaurs existed from the Triassic to the Cretaceous era which was around 165 million years.
    13 billion years is the amount of time from the Big Bang to the modern era.
    What I'm saying is, it took 13 billion odd years to get from the Big Bang to the modern human brain. Or, if you want to instead go by the age of the earth, we'll say 5 billion years. The LHC, on the other hand, only took 30 years. That's a big difference. One was created by human intelligence, the other was created through natural processes, which took a very long time relatively speaking.
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2015
    Options
    the whole problem with the position that humankind just somehow naturally came to exist on chance is that it makes no ? sense the odds are too astronomical.

It has some chance involved but we don't exist on chance alone. There are natural processes at work that guide the formation of things. A snowflake, for instance, doesn't pop into existence strictly by chance.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    13 billion years is very very very very fast for something like the human brain to evolve the ? dinosaurs were around longer than that.

The dinosaurs existed from the Triassic to the Cretaceous era which was around 165 million years.
    13 billion years is the amount of time from the Big Bang to the modern era.
    What I'm saying is, it took 13 billion odd years to get from the Big Bang to the modern human brain. Or, if you want to instead go by the age of the earth, we'll say 5 billion years. The LHC, on the other hand, only took 30 years. That's a big difference. One was created by human intelligence, the other was created through natural processes, which took a very long time relatively speaking.

yeah i got the numbers all ? up but what i was trying to say is that the human brain came into being too fast for it to happen by chance and we know that the lhc did not happen by chance. Humankind made it and how we made it it much easier to explain than trying to explain how we came to be.

have you ever looked up the odds of abiogenesis it's something like 10 to the 900000 power OR some ? like that. IT IS EXTREMELY unlikely that the life just sprung from hot rocks and chemicals THERE is no way we can objectively say natural processes have rise to life
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

HOW?

Through the natural process of evolution, starting from the Big Bang, it took about 13 billion years for the human brain to exist as it does today.

It took about 30 years to build the LHC...

I was trying to compose myself.....but bruh???

slow-lol-zoom.gif

You can say 10000000 billion years, 999999 gazillion years, or 77777777 bajillion years and it would still mean diddly squat. The human brain did not evolve. It was designed and created by an intelligent being whose name is Yeshua Ha Mashiach.

Like come on @Bodhi, I'm starting to think that you can't even possibly buy the stuff that your spewing. But it's like your trapped in a corner and you just don't want to come out of it, so you stay trapped using the same old tired defenses hoping that something will stick but all you do is continue to stink up the room with flatulent lies coming out of your rear end.

So let me get this straight it took intelligence to build the LHC but yet it didn't take intelligence to build the brains who came together in order to build said LHC......

giphy.gif

Wheredeydodatat?
  • Bodhi
    edited December 2015
    Options
    [the brain] was designed and created by an intelligent being whose name is Yeshua Ha Mashiach.

That's your belief. The problem with belief, though, is that it isn't knowledge.
    But maybe you can try substantiating that claim.
    The human brain did not evolve.
    Science says otherwise.
    So let me get this straight it took intelligence to build the LHC but yet it didn't take intelligence to build the brains who came together in order to build said LHC.......

Right.
  • Bodhi
    Options

Like come on @Bodhi, I'm starting to think that you can't even possibly buy the stuff that your spewing. But it's like your trapped in a corner and you just don't want to come out of it, so you stay trapped using the same old tired defenses hoping that something will stick but all you do is continue to stink up the room with flatulent lies coming out of your rear end.

^^^ Sounds a lot like projection.

defense mechanism

3. Projection is a form of defense in which unwanted feelings are displaced onto another person, where they then appear as a threat from the external world.

http://www.britannica.com/topic/projection-psychology
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    [the brain] was designed and created by an intelligent being whose name is Yeshua Ha Mashiach.

That's your belief. The problem with belief, though, is that it isn't knowledge.
    But maybe you can try substantiating that claim.
    The human brain did not evolve.
    Science says otherwise.
    So let me get this straight it took intelligence to build the LHC but yet it didn't take intelligence to build the brains who came together in order to build said LHC.......

Right.

This is called common sense @Bodhi, all though I realize that sense just isn't very common today.

If you gathered all the parts for a plane, all the parts for a car, all the parts for a computer, all the parts for a television, and all the parts for even the LHC and left them just as they are, they would not come together and magically build itself. It takes intelligence, it takes power, it takes will, it takes initiative, and it takes strength.

If those gathered parts were guaranteed to last for 13 billion year without any chance for erosion, deterioration, or decay and you were allowed to be transported 13 billion years into the future those same parts would still be in th same exact position that you left them.

But yet you're going to sit here and tell me that the most complex ? in the human body which has conquered the splitting of the atom, understood flight, and has even built rockets to propel us into space, evolved over the course of 13 billion years apart from any intelligence behind it?

Bruh my head hurts from even think about the absurdity of the notion! It makes absolutely 0 sense! 0 sense! 0 sense!

It does not compute no matter how you slice the pie. Primordial ooze just doesn't pop out of nowhere and decide over the course of 13 billion years that the human being needs a blood-brain barrier in order to survive.

That takes thoughtful planning and intelligence. And that is just .00000001% of the totality of the intelligence needed to design and create the human brain.

We still can't understand the totality of how grand and awesome the human brain is. But yet you want to tell me that it evolved from some ancient primordial ooze?

I fell like an idiot even discussing this non-sense @bodhi.

How can you even possibly believe such a notion. You are smarter than this. Like come on bruh. You can't be that dumb.