A Look Back At The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie From 1990

Options

Comments

• Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just got all caught up with the animated series on Nick and there are some great nostalgic moments on a few of the episodes. In one of the episodes they introduce Mondo Gecko -- who was a character in the OG cartoon -- and he's voiced by the OG movie's Michelangelo; Robbie Rist. They also use Mondo to reintroduce the super popular "Cowabunga!" phrase and Mikey has now been using it interchangeably with "Booyakasha!"

They also had a great time travel episode that focused on Splinter and Shredder, when they were Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki, and the origin of their rivalry culminating in the death of Yoshi's love; Tang Shen.

The writers at Nick are doing a great job and I suggest all my fellow Turtle Heads check out the show if you haven't already. Great fight scenes, a lot of comedy, and a perfect blend of being true to the source material and introducing new stuff organically -- as opposed to it being contrived.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I just got all caught up with the animated series on Nick and there are some great nostalgic moments on a few of the episodes. In one of the episodes they introduce Mondo Gecko -- who was a character in the OG cartoon -- and he's voiced by the OG movie's Michelangelo; Robbie Rist. They also use Mondo to reintroduce the super popular "Cowabunga!" phrase and Mikey has now been using it interchangeably with "Booyakasha!"

They also had a great time travel episode that focused on Splinter and Shredder, when they were Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki, and the origin of their rivalry culminating in the death of Yoshi's love; Tang Shen.

The writers at Nick are doing a great job and I suggest all my fellow Turtle Heads check out the show if you haven't already. Great fight scenes, a lot of comedy, and a perfect blend of being true to the source material and introducing new stuff organically -- as opposed to it being contrived.

The show can be good when it want to be. I just feel they do too many "mutant of the week" type episodes
  • Like Water
    Options

The show can be good when it want to be. I just feel they do too many "mutant of the week" type episodes

I can agree with you to an extent. I'm much more of a fan of the show when a theme spans over a couple episodes as well, but I probably don't mind the "Mutant of The Week" style episodes as much.

Feels like the show may be around for a while, so it seems like the writers are taking their time with introducing source material story arcs.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

I've been watching and enjoying the show from the beginning.

My favorite Turtles universe is the one from the current ongoing IDW comic book though. That's the best version of the Turtles story ever. Like the Nick show it tries it's best to combine elements of ALL Turtles media into one thing. So you get to see Fred Wolf show characters but with the more rawer sensibilities of the original comic books but enough balance with humor and heart like the first movie to make it all work cohesively.
  • bossdon201
    bossdon201 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember bringing the vhs tape to school for movie day in 6th grade. ? was GOAT. ? respected it and the hoes loved it
  • Like Water
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

I've been watching and enjoying the show from the beginning.

My favorite Turtles universe is the one from the current ongoing IDW comic book though. That's the best version of the Turtles story ever. Like the Nick show it tries it's best to combine elements of ALL Turtles media into one thing. So you get to see Fred Wolf show characters but with the more rawer sensibilities of the original comic books but enough balance with humor and heart like the first movie to make it all work cohesively.

Good ? . I'll check it out then.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    “Ohh so that's the plan of a great leader huh?....just sit here on our butts?"

Remember that look the turtles had when they realized the shredder was the bogeyman (aka oroku saki) splinter been telling them about since they were small?
    Straight fear

TMNT_1_Blu_ray_image_answer_4_xlarge.png
  • Copper
    Options
    “....couple of throw pillows a TV news reporter...whaddya think?"
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    The new movie should've went the utrom/krang route.
    If they were gonna make shredder a huge lifeless character they should've just went all in and made him an alien in a robots body that you don't find out till the end credits.
    Hamoto Yoshi didn't exist and they took away the fued splinter had with shredder which is,an important element.... Also took away the ties to japan
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We watched the new ninja turtles movies last night on netflix, and the whole time im thinkin "what is so freakin bad with this one? why dey dont like it son?" and he was just like idk.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for putting me onto the Nickelodeon version of turtles. This makes me hate Michael Bay's version even more. I love this show. Pure nostalgia and they actually ? with their weapons.
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Dave2one6 wrote: »
    We watched the new ninja turtles movies last night on netflix, and the whole time im thinkin "what is so freakin bad with this one? why dey dont like it son?" and he was just like idk.

giphy.gif

"I made a funny"
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    So this

ShredderTMNTMovie.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hqdefault.jpg

?????

I don't care if it's CGI, if it looks better it looks better.

And y'all got to admit that each turtle looking different is better than them looking exactly alike.

bruh...i'm with you..the original is goat

but i had no problem with the new TMNT movie at all, and new shredder was dope to me.

i dont play attention to these ? on here dissing the new TMNT movie. But the orig. is goat.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    Watch the Nickelodeon cartoon and you'll see the difference and why the movie made no sense. Or watch the original cartoon from the early 90's. They ? the story all the way up and now when they introduce new characters it will make no sense. Them turtles are too ? big with super strength. They were never ever like that.
  • vagrant-718
    Options
    Episode in Nick Toons where they fought shredder the first time was GOAT
  • ghost!
    Options
    Watch the Nickelodeon cartoon and you'll see the difference and why the movie made no sense. Or watch the original cartoon from the early 90's. They ? the story all the way up and now when they introduce new characters it will make no sense. Them turtles are too ? big with super strength. They were never ever like that.

Bruh i seen all that.

1. Movies, cartoons. Comics are mostly all done diff. Not everythings has to be exact.

Nothing was wrong with the shredder in the new movie.
  • ghost!
    edited September 2015
    Options

Would you like a list?

1. The Turtles are supposed to be ninjas. Ninjas are sleek and stealthy. Shaq can't be a ninja because he's a behemoth. The Turtles are damn near as big as Shaq. Ie. The Turtles aren't believable ninjas.
    2. Not only are they big, but they just looked ridiculous. Michelangelo was over accessorized, Raphael looked like he could take down an entire offensive line, and Donatello was running around wit ? Johnny 5 on his back.
    3. Speaking of Donny, anyone else notice he only had like two scenes in the entire movie?
    4. The Turtles just looked like Goombas with masks.
    5. Meagan Fox is a ? terrible actress.
    6. They spent way too much time focusing on April and her cameraman's wack relationship.
    7. They whitewashed the ? outta the movie and removed almost all of its ties to Japan.
    8. I know this is a movie about mutant turtles, but Master Splinter learned ninjutsu from a book. Smh. A ? book, son. Word?
    9. Shredder looks like the lost love child of Megatron and a can opener.
    10. It's a disgrace to the Turtles franchise.

And those are 10 reasons why this movie needs to be burned right along with Michael Bay.

THEY ARE TALKING TURTLES, with a rat as a master...all this ? your suppose to suspend belief..lol

disgrace of a franchise and made enough money for a sequel. Ha ha ok

I aint a M.Bay fan by no means, but this ? is alot better what he was gonna originally do.

Still peace to the orig. 90s movie n cartoon.
  • vagrant-718
    Options
    In Michael bay's defense he didn't make the movie.

I agree with Like Water tho. Movie need a reboot already
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    All of Michael Bay's projects on our favorite cartoons are ? up. I can't stand that ? . I hate transformers and turtles. He pays no homage to the cartoons and that's the ? manuscript right there. Both of his projects were racist as ? and disrespected both blacks and Asians. He's a close minded ? and even worse, I can't stand that 50 lb, 5'2 coke head ? Megan Fox. They over use her for every character. April Oneil is a red head, not a brunette. I just don't understand and Stephen Amel has done a terrific job with arrow but bruh... Sheamus and that other comedian dude are bebop and rocksteady. This dude gives no ? . I like Jon Turtlebaums movie national treasure but Michael Bay is a poison to everyone and everything he produces.
  • Like Water
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »

Would you like a list?

1. The Turtles are supposed to be ninjas. Ninjas are sleek and stealthy. Shaq can't be a ninja because he's a behemoth. The Turtles are damn near as big as Shaq. Ie. The Turtles aren't believable ninjas.
    2. Not only are they big, but they just looked ridiculous. Michelangelo was over accessorized, Raphael looked like he could take down an entire offensive line, and Donatello was running around wit ? Johnny 5 on his back.
    3. Speaking of Donny, anyone else notice he only had like two scenes in the entire movie?
    6. They spent way too much time focusing on April and her cameraman's wack relationship.
    7. They whitewashed the ? outta the movie and removed almost all of its ties to Japan.
    8. I know this is a movie about mutant turtles, but Master Splinter learned ninjutsu from a book. Smh. A ? book, son. Word?

And those are 10 reasons why this movie needs to be burned right along with Michael Bay.

THEY ARE TALKING TURTLES, with a rat as a master...all this ? your suppose to suspend belief..lol

I aint a M.Bay fan by no means, but this ? is alot better what he was gonna originally do.

It didn't stay true to source material in the least bit. It's not a difficult concept to understand. It's also not difficult to expand on a premise while adhering to some semblance of its origin -- all it takes is some creativity.

Michael Bay and his productions have no creativity. They have this Americanized mindset of "bigger is better", special effects and explosions. That's it.

And are you really gonna use the fact that it's getting a sequel as a basis for a debate with me? Pffttt... Don't waste your keystrokes. There are countless bad movies with sequels. Terrible arguing point.
  • ghost!
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »

Would you like a list?

It didn't stay true to source material in the least bit. It's not a difficult concept to understand. It's also not difficult to expand on a premise while adhering to some semblance of its origin -- all it takes is some creativity.

Michael Bay and his productions have no creativity. They have this Americanized mindset of "bigger is better", special effects and explosions. That's it.

And are you really gonna use the fact that it's getting a sequel as a basis for a debate with me? Pffttt... Don't waste your keystrokes. There are countless bad movies with sequels. Terrible arguing point.

If you aren't talking about staying true to the source material then why ? and moan about the origin then? IT's all part of the source material, and as I said before. There' s been plenty of movies that swerved from their origin/source material. It's not a stretch for this movie to follow that path. As i said before, it's talking ? mutual turtles with a rat as a master, yeah they were big, but you arent' watching the cartoon version or the 90s version.......the origin story didnt need to be a blueprint..again suspend belief.

and a metal suit, seeing how it was used. I did not have a problem with that. It's 2015, i would expect a super suit/super version of some kind, it's 2015! And sorry master splinter learned ? from a book..there are books out there were you can learn to fight..this movie isn't going be like harry potter where you get sequels on top of sequels, so "staying true to origin" isn't gonna effect the story telling.

they are fighting talking turtles, point got across to the kids. That's what matters. and just like some bad movies get sequels, some movies in hollywood as long as they make enough movie they get sequels as well. This did. Again not a M.Bay fan because i hate TFers, and i have some fault with the new movie, but not enough to hate it.

I dont get all the b*tching, that "down the snowy hill" scene was goat action ? . The fight with shredder was goat as sh*t too...dont know what you'll were watching.