P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    P. Town wrote: »
    Nelly is a fly by night rapper? Never knew
    take the music they made out of the question, success/accolades wise

yall would rather have krs one career or nelly's last 15 years?

no diss on either side im just curious.

I'd rather be a legend than a fly by night rapper. And it ain't like KRS One is broke either.

so u'd rather have krs 1 career?

whats the definition of fly by night?

does being relevant for 12 years musically and 15 period fall under that?

Nelly had a 4 year run you may stretch it out to 6. He's not a legend, no one has him in their top 5/10, he has no classic albums.

KRS 1 is a legend, highly influential, classic albums and is a debatable goat depending on who you ask. So yes I'd rather have KRS career.

Define "relevant"?

Everything you said in this post is subjective.

Like what? Was Nelly's run longer than 6 years the most? Like what? KRS One being influential? Like what? KRS One isn't considered top 5/goat status depending on who you ask? The only subjective thing I said is about the albums.

If you have to ask certain people if somebody is top 5 then that is subjective. Who in the game right now has KRS One influenced? The top artist in the game right now is a clear offspring of Nelly. And from 2000-2008 Nelly dropped either Gold or Platinum albums. That would make a 9-10 year run.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah bruh thats fact
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'd rather be a legend than a fly by night rapper. And it ain't like KRS One is broke either.

Nelly had a 4 year run you may stretch it out to 6. He's not a legend, no one has him in their top 5/10, he has no classic albums.

KRS 1 is a legend, highly influential, classic albums and is a debatable goat depending on who you ask. So yes I'd rather have KRS career.

Define "relevant"?

nelly may not be a legend but he's either had hit singles, successful albums, or both that span from 2000 to 2012(his last top 5 hit) he may not be a top lyricist and of course its not ALL about selling records but, he made music that moved the crowd and satisfied his lane. he is an artist that reached a level of commercial success that krs one never has come close to. and now ? are clowning him for being a reality star but its not love and hip hop so im not to sure whats wrong with that, in general id say he's much more relevant overall than krs 1. to say he's fly by night is absurd.

now krs is a hip hop legend that paved ways for rappers today. id never go as far as saying debatable goat with people like nas or jay z (not to mention several of his peers) existing but yea. that classic album ? is subjective. when u say nelly had a run what do u mean? mainstream? how long was krs 1's mainstream run?
    5 Grand wrote: »

KRS can go anywhere on Earth and do a show at a decent sized nightclub (300 people). And he doesn't even need a single to promote the tour. He can perform classic songs that he made over the past 30 years.

I don't think Nelly can go to any country on Earth and pack a decent sized nightclub (300 people). But I could be wrong.

wrong is an understatement. nelly was recently arrested, ON TOUR. the only reason nelly cant pack a club of 300 people is cuz his ass would never be in a club that small anyway

the ? has a damn near diamond album, he can tour for life off his first album. u should had yo young ? make this thread or sum
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    nelly was, is and will always be a clown. he had nothing to lose by going at krs. in fact krs did him a favor by engaging in a so called "beef" with him in the first place.

krs on the other hand is a legend and one of the cornerstones on which this culture is built. to this day i still cant understand why he wasted his historical capitol that he built up since the 80s on a crossover pop star. he cheapened his legacy by doing that.

krs could have played the role of the elder statesman and hip hop ambassador like ll cool j has. instead he picked a fight with a worthless opponent in a battle he couldnt win. if he slaughters nelly ppl would have said he didnt accomplish anything b/c he was supposed to win. if he loses or even if the battle is somewhat close ppl would laugh and say he lost to a lightweight. not to mention krs was waging this generational battle while trying to get props from the 106 and park crowd who was more concerned with air force 1s than knowledge.

that was a no win situation and a legend of his stature should have known better. he came off like a bitter old ass hater. he wasted his time on nelly and ended up losing a lot of points as a result.

You finally said something I agree with.

But you still gotta capitalize the first word in a sentence.
    Eat a ? .

Did I get the capitalization right?
  • dj pre-k
    Options
    ice-t, salt n pepa, three 6 mafia, snoop dogg, rev run, luke, dmx, lil kim, the hgame, t.i. and diddy have all had their own reality tv shows btw
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    And where is Nelly now? He was a fly by night rapper who landed already. It's over for him. He will be put in the Ja Rule tier where ? remember him for pop hits... FOH!

KRS bodied him lyrically, and bodied his career in the long run. Nelly has a ? reality tv show now, and doesn't have near the influence or stance of a KRS.

These fairweather fans always entertain this dumb ? , and the truth always reigns supreme. 50 was talking reckless against Nas, saying he's finished and now Nas is more "relevant" in music than 50.

That's the difference between a legend and a ? trying to get a lick. KRS is 50 years old repping Hip-Hop the right way, touring year 'round the world due to his musical brilliance, while these pop-tart ? moved on to the next hustle.

Word, I don't even listen or get into debates with people that said Nelly bodied him.

He predicted Nelly's whole style. Just like KRS said...

You cats still worried about chart position
    It's the heart that your missin
    It's the art that your missin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-hkzMyFMrQ

When you're number one
    everybody come
    But when you drop to two
    everybody still with you
    But when you drop to three
    everybody want to see
    But when you drop to four
    everybody still endures
    But when you drop to five
    people will help you strive
    When you drop to six
    you still in every mix
    But when you drop to seven
    people start guessin
    When you drop to eight
    people hesitate
    But when you drop to nine
    thats when you start to find
    That when you drop to ten
    you start to lose your friends
    When you drop to eleven
    your record stop sellin
    When you drop to twelve
    it's everyone for themselves
    So when you drop to thirteen
    you stop working
    When you drop to fourteen
    no more self esteem
    You drop to fifteen
    cuz you lived and you seen
    When you drop to sixteen
    you now out the scene
    When you drop to seventeen
    you see things you never seen
    Like when you drop to eighteen
    you know what it mean
    So drop to nineteen
    and on then to twenty
    At nineteen you lose your honey
    At twenty your money
    to a Playboy bunny
    At twenty one things ain't funny
    At twenty two
    you don't know what to do
    So you hit twenty three
    you look for security
    So you drop to twenty four
    no more can you endure
    When you drop to twenty five
    at the bottom you've arrived
    When you drop to twenty six
    you in an old school mix
    When you drop to twenty seven
    until you start steppin
    When you drop to twenty eight
    you start to meditate
    When you drop to twenty nine
    you expand your mind
    When you drop to thirty
    you see it was all ?
    No you drop to thirty two
    and it occurs to you
    When you hit thirty three
    now you can see
    That it's all about skill and a love for the art
    Not whose above or whose below in the chart
    You got to look in your heart
    It's there where you start
    I and hip hop are never ever ever apart

and the moral to the story is
    a guy a fi learn of eat a big piece of blood claaat humble pie
    and fall the ? back

Blaaat ! ... gunje

this dis about nelly also went under the radar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHO_GlU2OOY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMuY9sK6fQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeg8MHDRm2A

You tired of me saying what's real hip hop
    Well I'm tired of you biting my ? to go pop
    This is why we need hip hop history
    Cause if we had it
    you knew you shouldn't get with me
    I'm free
    I don't need MTV
    I could smash your click like 1-2-3
    You think I care if you plat-in-um
    Where I come from, we be slappin' em' uh
    Sales dont make you the authority
    It only means you sold out to the white majority
    What you know about seniority you ain't major
    Ya whole album appeals to little second graders
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say this KRS holds up a lot better than Nelly
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Define "relevant"?

Like what? Was Nelly's run longer than 6 years the most? Like what? KRS One being influential? Like what? KRS One isn't considered top 5/goat status depending on who you ask? The only subjective thing I said is about the albums.

If you have to ask certain people if somebody is top 5 then that is subjective. Who in the game right now has KRS One influenced? The top artist in the game right now is a clear offspring of Nelly. And from 2000-2008 Nelly dropped either Gold or Platinum albums. That would make a 9-10 year run.

Old school cats that grew up on 70's/80's hip hop. I used to work with a dude (rip to him) that had Kane as his goat but KRS One was in his top 5, another old dude I knew had KRS in his top 5. So like I said depending on who you ask he's top 5. Younger cats that grew up on 90's/00's hip hop may have a different top 5/goat that may not include KRS.

You ask who in the game right now that he influenced? Nas, Fat Joe, Cam'ron, Snoop, Ice Cube to name a few.

Drake is the hottest in the game right now and there is absolutely nothing similar about them outside of the occasional harmonizing. If that's who you're referencing.

Nelly's last gold/platinum selling (not shipped gold) album was the Sweat/Suit albums he dropped in 2004. Which was the end of his run. He dropped a bunch of albums that flopped with a bunch of weak singles.

KRS One was apart of BDP in the 80's and then reinvented himself in the 90's with songs like Sound of Da Police and Step Into A World etc. between BDP and his 90's stuff he had a solid 10 year run, with gold selling albums and hits. Nelly may have had bigger hits than KRS One, but his legacy dwarfs Nelly's.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the mere fact that the great name of krs-1 is now tied to ? nelly shows how hard krs fell off. he lost by accepting the battle
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

nelly may not be a legend but he's either had hit singles, successful albums, or both that span from 2000 to 2012(his last top 5 hit) he may not be a top lyricist and of course its not ALL about selling records but, he made music that moved the crowd and satisfied his lane. he is an artist that reached a level of commercial success that krs one never has come close to. and now ? are clowning him for being a reality star but its not love and hip hop so im not to sure whats wrong with that, in general id say he's much more relevant overall than krs 1. to say he's fly by night is absurd.

now krs is a hip hop legend that paved ways for rappers today. id never go as far as saying debatable goat with people like nas or jay z (not to mention several of his peers) existing but yea. that classic album ? is subjective. when u say nelly had a run what do u mean? mainstream? how long was krs 1's mainstream run?

His last successful album was dropped in 2004. His only hit after Grillz in 2005 was Just A Dream, outside of that he's dropped non impactful singles and flopped albums. So like I said Nelly's run was 4 years, I gave him 6 because he had himself a hit with Grillz. You want to know what rapper had a truly long run its the Eminem's and the Jigga's that had that long sustained run, it's the LL Cool J's that had 10+ year runs, not Nelly. Nelly has his lane but he's a fly by night rapper. His audience were mostly fickle fans that dickrides the latest trends. He's a pop rapper that should never be placed in the same category as legends.

I've chopped it up with oldheads who don't even put Jay Z and Nas in their top 5, but KRS One is there though. That's some perspective for your ass.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited August 2015
    Options

Define "relevant"?

Old school cats that grew up on 70's/80's hip hop. I used to work with a dude (rip to him) that had Kane as his goat but KRS One was in his top 5, another old dude I knew had KRS in his top 5. So like I said depending on who you ask he's top 5. Younger cats that grew up on 90's/00's hip hop may have a different top 5/goat that may not include KRS.

You ask who in the game right now that he influenced? Nas, Fat Joe, Cam'ron, Snoop, Ice Cube to name a few.

Drake is the hottest in the game right now and there is absolutely nothing similar about them outside of the occasional harmonizing. If that's who you're referencing.

Nelly's last gold/platinum selling (not shipped gold) album was the Sweat/Suit albums he dropped in 2004. Which was the end of his run. He dropped a bunch of albums that flopped with a bunch of weak singles.

KRS One was apart of BDP in the 80's and then reinvented himself in the 90's with songs like Sound of Da Police and Step Into A World etc. between BDP and his 90's stuff he had a solid 10 year run, with gold selling albums and hits. Nelly may have had bigger hits than KRS One, but his legacy dwarfs Nelly's.

jamaica.

stop.

u know damn well 2004 wasnt the end of nelly, lol @ u tryna bring up "selling not shipped" either way gold/platinum is gold/platinum. and he's done that more than krs 1. lol @ a bunch of albums that flopped with weak singles, have u seen krs 1's career commercially? ill give u a solid 10 year run definitely but that wasnt mainstream or high selling at all, more like underground just above gold at best with very few top 100 let alone top 50 hits. matter fact krs one has has a long lasting CAREER, but his "run" compared to nelly's is nonexistent if u being honest. yall get on cats like big krit and say he dont match up to his peers commercially, well neither did krs one commercially, and imo not musically either. legend sure, goat status ehh.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Define "relevant"?

His last successful album was dropped in 2004. His only hit after Grillz in 2005 was Just A Dream, outside of that he's dropped non impactful singles and flopped albums. So like I said Nelly's run was 4 years, I gave him 6 because he had himself a hit with Grillz. You want to know what rapper had a truly long run its the Eminem's and the Jigga's that had that long sustained run, it's the LL Cool J's that had 10+ year runs, not Nelly. Nelly has his lane but he's a fly by night rapper. His audience were mostly fickle fans that dickrides the latest trends. He's a pop rapper that should never be placed in the same category as legends.

I've chopped it up with oldheads who don't even put Jay Z and Nas in their top 5, but KRS One is there though. That's some perspective for your ass.

lol oh u mean the old heads who think everything after them is wack and say hip hop is dead as soon as a new generation comes up. yea they definitely had some perspective for me

when i think fly by night i think chicken noodle soup or some ? , nelly is still having success now. not sayin he a legend but everybody dont have to be, doesnt mean he aint have a good career.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

jamaica.

stop.

u know damn well 2004 wasnt the end of nelly, lol @ u tryna bring up "selling not shipped" either way gold/platinum is gold/platinum. and he's done that more than krs 1. lol @ a bunch of albums that flopped with weak singles, have u seen krs 1's career commercially? ill give u a solid 10 year run definitely but that wasnt mainstream or high selling at all, more like underground just above gold at best with very few top 100 let alone top 50 hits. yall get on cats like big krit and say he dont match up to his peers commercially, well neither did krs one commercially, and imo not musically either. legend sure, goat status ehh.

KRS One was never a big seller/super mainstream rapper. Yall like to point to Nelly's sales and hits as a reason why he's greater than KRS, so it's fair to use it against him.

2004 was the end of his mainstream run, he had 2 other hit singles after 2004, Grillz and Just A Dream. Outside of those he had a bunch of flopped singles and low selling albums. Keep in mind that Nelly used the fact that he sold as a bragging point, so once again it's fair to use sales against him.

Krit doesn't matchup to his peers commercially but no one expects Krit to be a big seller anyway, similar to KRS.

Finally. Define "musically"
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Define "relevant"?

jamaica.

stop.

u know damn well 2004 wasnt the end of nelly, lol @ u tryna bring up "selling not shipped" either way gold/platinum is gold/platinum. and he's done that more than krs 1. lol @ a bunch of albums that flopped with weak singles, have u seen krs 1's career commercially? ill give u a solid 10 year run definitely but that wasnt mainstream or high selling at all, more like underground just above gold at best with very few top 100 let alone top 50 hits. yall get on cats like big krit and say he dont match up to his peers commercially, well neither did krs one commercially, and imo not musically either. legend sure, goat status ehh.

KRS One was never a big seller/super mainstream rapper. Yall like to point to Nelly's sales and hits as a reason why he's greater than KRS, so it's fair to use it against him.

2004 was the end of his mainstream run, he had 2 other hit singles after 2004, Grillz and Just A Dream. Outside of those he had a bunch of flopped singles and low selling albums. Keep in mind that Nelly used the fact that he sold as a bragging point, so once again it's fair to use sales against him.

Krit doesn't matchup to his peers commercially but no one expects Krit to be a big seller anyway, similar to KRS.

who is yall. i never said sales made him the better rapper/lyricist. it simply makes him more successful commercially and it makes ur argument of a "run" and "fly by night" laughable. people bring up nelly winning the battle because krs used the fact he could end nelly's career as a bragging point, and he didnt.

musically- ex: "his ? aint sound better than ll's"
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

lol oh u mean the old heads who think everything after them is wack and say hip hop is dead as soon as a new generation comes up. yea they definitely had some perspective for me

when i think fly by night i think chicken noodle soup or some ? , nelly is still having success now. not sayin he a legend but everybody dont have to be, doesnt mean he aint have a good career.

Nelly had a run and is a footnote in hip hop history. He had his lane, but if yall keep ? on a pioneer like KRS while bigging up Nelly, then it's fair to call him fly by night. Nelly has success as he's now delved into acting, can't take that away from him. But he'll never be as important and revered in this culture as KRS One and no amount of pop hits and sales will change that.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Define "relevant"?

Nelly had a run and is a footnote in hip hop history. He had his lane, but if yall keep ? on a pioneer like KRS while bigging up Nelly, then it's fair to call him fly by night. Nelly has success as he's now delved into acting, can't take that away from him. But he'll never be as important and revered in this culture as KRS One and no amount of pop hits and sales will change that.

ive seen a lot of the people in here that think nelly won or dont fool with krs give him his credit so idk where ? on a pioneer comes from, just like idk where yall got the idea ? think he wasnt an influence
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

jamaica.

stop.

who is yall. i never said sales made him the better rapper/lyricist. it simply makes him more successful commercially and it makes ur argument of a "run" and "fly by night" laughable. people bring up nelly winning the battle because krs used the fact he could end nelly's career as a bragging point, and he didnt.

Nelly started it first, with his real hip hop half the time they album flopped line. That line was highly disrespectful, that's why KRS went at him. So it's funny that Nelly can't go platinum anymore despite once ? on ? because they flopped. Y'all used Nelly's sales as if it put him on par with KRS One. Nowadays Nelly is a reality star (nothing wrong with that) while KRS One is a hip hop legend and a pioneer in the game with an unquestioned legacy. Nelly is now known as the rapper on Kevin Hart's show who's whole career was built on a house of cards.

LL's ? sounding better than KRS One's ? is subjective as ? . That's the argument y'all love to pull out y'all ? . You can't prove or disprove who made better music.
  • dj pre-k
    Options
    I bet a KRS reality show would be boring as ?
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

ive seen a lot of the people in here that think nelly won or dont fool with krs give him his credit so idk where ? on a pioneer comes from, just like idk where yall got the idea ? think he wasnt an influence

Strangely enough most of the people that thought Nelly won the battle are southerners.

So y'all don't see people on here ? on KRS One?

He's influential and shouldn't even be in the same category as no damn Nelly. The fact that we're having this discussion is a problem in itself.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

Define "relevant"?

jamaica.

stop.

Nelly started it first, with his real hip hop half the time they album flopped line. That line was highly disrespectful, that's why KRS went at him. So it's funny that Nelly can't go platinum anymore despite once ? on ? because they flopped. Y'all used Nelly's sales as if it put him on par with KRS One. Nowadays Nelly is a reality star (nothing wrong with that) while KRS One is a hip hop legend and a pioneer in the game with an unquestioned legacy. Nelly is now known as the rapper on Kevin Hart's show who's whole career was built on a house of cards.

LL's ? sounding better than KRS One's ? is subjective as ? . That's the argument y'all love to pull out y'all ? . You can't prove or disprove who made better music.

u say that same ? every time someone likes another artist more than the one ur in favor of. so basically no one sounds better than anyone, no wonder u hate hip hop these days ? .

and its been said the real hip hop line wasnt at krs so idk about all that. idk why its funny that nelly cant go platinum. everyone has ups and downs. krs has never been up there commercially in the first place. but once again no one ever said sales made nelly the better lyricist. lol @ "now known as the rapper on kevin harts show". yea sure only to ? who've never entered a club or been in the presence of a female.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KRS is a rap LEGEND. It's indisputable. I'm not sure why those of us that know this even entertain these silly arguments.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Define "relevant"?

jamaica.

stop.

u say that same ? every time someone likes another artist more than the one ur in favor of. so basically no one sounds better than anyone, no wonder u hate hip hop these days ? .

and its been said the real hip hop line wasnt at krs so idk about all that. idk why its funny that nelly cant go platinum. everyone has ups and downs. krs has never been up there commercially in the first place. but once again no one ever said sales made nelly the better lyricist. lol @ "now known as the rapper on kevin harts show". yea sure only to ? who've never entered a club or been in the presence of a female.
    The line wasn't a shot at KRS directly, but the line was disrespectful based on the fact that Nelly was dissing dudes who weren't commercial or made pop sounding music. That's like if a ? say some slick ? that may not be directly talking about you but it's still disrespectful so you approach a dude about it.

It's funny that he can't go platinum considering that he bragged about it all the time. I mean take the sales away and what else is there about Nelly? I never said his sales made Nelly a better lyricist I said that it made y'all put him up there with KRS when he doesn't belong. KRS was never a commercial rapper, but he was known for dropping genre defining albums and being ahead of his time lyrically. Criminal Minded with BDP, will forever be a genre defining album, while Nelly had a run and doesn't have anything on the level of Criminal Minded in terms of impact.

To a generation of fans he's pretty much that dude on Kevin Hart's show.

I've always said music is subjective and it's the truth. You can't quantify better music because people's taste is different.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited August 2015
    Options

Define "relevant"?

Strangely enough most of the people that thought Nelly won the battle are southerners.

So y'all don't see people on here ? on KRS One?

He's influential and shouldn't even be in the same category as no damn Nelly. The fact that we're having this discussion is a problem in itself.

look at jamaica tryna start region ? and u supposed to be a moderator. what does "southerners" have to do with anything. u lookin like a clown now. p. town 5 grand and turfaholic say nelly won. where they from? or better yet, how did krs 1 win the battle, he said he had tracks for days and would end nelly and stop his sales, he did neither. and had such superb lines about acne. thats like yall saying the cavs still won the title this year despite yall clearly seeing gs winning 4 games. ive seen people in here sayin they simply dont ? with krs one. me saying ll>>krs is not shittin on him. would u consider yourself dissing nelly by sayin u dont ? with him? u know damn well nelly aint just no reality star to a generation and u know damn well nobody puts him up there with krs lyrically stop ? playin dumb bruh.

once again(not counting obvious trolls)

"Krs one not influential"-NO ONE
    "Krs one not a legend"-NOT A SOUL
    "Krs one not a better lyricist than nelly"-NOBODY
    "Krs one in the same category as damn nelly"-NARY A PERSON

at this point u ? are fooling urselves into thinking ? dissing krs cuz u cant imagine a world where ? think differently from typical hip hop elitists. reminds me of children who get mad at ? they imaginary friend said to em.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    That's like if a ? say some slick ? that may not be directly talking about you but it's still disrespectful so you approach a dude about it.

Lmao jamaica wat the ? kinda world do u live in family. who does this? if the ? know its not about him why would he still approach him? krs one knew nelly looked up to him, he just wanted some attention.

if some poster randomly say ? u must gon randomly take offense and ban em?
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    That's like if a ? say some slick ? that may not be directly talking about you but it's still disrespectful so you approach a dude about it.

Lmao jamaica wat the ? kinda world do u live in family. who does this? if the ? know its not about him why would he still approach him? krs one knew nelly looked up to him, he just wanted some attention.

if some poster randomly say ? u must gon randomly take offense and ban em?

If a ? said Jamaicans are ? . That line isn't directly directed at me but I'll see about it though. Get my point now?