The 2017 MLB Thread

Options

Comments

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    boston most pressing need is a middle of the order power bat but with stanton most likely headed to san francisco or stl — i would say the red sox just take their time and be patient unless the asking price for abreu is so low that the red sox would be fools to turn it down (not likely)

because i wouldnt want no part of jd martinez — he is 3 seasons removed from being cut by the astros — he just turned 30 and his combined numbers in detroit and arizona from this past season leads me to believe hes the quintessential contract year hitter — rumors have it that he is seeking in the area of $200 million which is a lot to swallow for a guy who may have already peaked (or may have a PED suspension coming)

smart play is to just make a few minor moves and go into 2018 hoping that they can count on sale and a bounce back year from price in the rotation and that

bogaerts
    betts
    bradley
    benny
    devers

continue to develop as hitters

then they can use the money they would have spent on JD next off season to land one of the big fish (harper/machado)

Eric Hosmer. They need a 1b and a lefty,not a middle of the order power bat but close

I know it's early but who you want the bulls to draft? I'm still bagley or porter
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    boston most pressing need is a middle of the order power bat but with stanton most likely headed to san francisco or stl — i would say the red sox just take their time and be patient unless the asking price for abreu is so low that the red sox would be fools to turn it down (not likely)

because i wouldnt want no part of jd martinez — he is 3 seasons removed from being cut by the astros — he just turned 30 and his combined numbers in detroit and arizona from this past season leads me to believe hes the quintessential contract year hitter — rumors have it that he is seeking in the area of $200 million which is a lot to swallow for a guy who may have already peaked (or may have a PED suspension coming)

smart play is to just make a few minor moves and go into 2018 hoping that they can count on sale and a bounce back year from price in the rotation and that

bogaerts
    betts
    bradley
    benny
    devers

then they can use the money they would have spent on JD next off season to land one of the big fish (harper/machado)

Eric Hosmer. They need a 1b and a lefty,not a middle of the order power bat but close

I know it's early but who you want the bulls to draft? I'm still bagley or porter

i was hearing on the radio that theres been a lot of talk in boston in recent days about how the red sox off season is a failure even before the winter meetings have begun lol so hopefully dombrowski does something stupid

whats your thoughts on ayton?

for me at least i think a player thatll compliment lauri the best is the direction the bulls need to go — despite dunn inconsistency so far i think he will be at least a solid starting PG to compliment lavine short term if not long term

bagley is my favorite prospect at this time -- for many reasons -- skill set but more importantly his motor -- he is so effective while having so much room for improvement — wait until he learns to use right hand or better footwork — he and lauri would be beautiful — neither is a classic 5 but half the teams in the league really hardly use a true center much — it could work

i just wish porter hadnt got hurt

i would have really liked to seen his game
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

bogaerts
    betts
    bradley
    benny
    devers

i was hearing on the radio that theres been a lot of talk in boston in recent days about how the red sox off season is a failure even before the winter meetings have begun lol so hopefully dombrowski does something stupid

for me at least i think a player thatll compliment lauri the best is the direction the bulls need to go — despite dunn inconsistency so far i think he will be at least a solid starting PG to compliment lavine short term if not long term

bagley is my favorite prospect at this time -- for many reasons -- skill set but more importantly his motor -- he is so effective while having so much room for improvement — wait until he learns to use right hand or better footwork — he and lauri would be beautiful — neither is a classic 5 but half the teams in the league really hardly use a true center much — it could work

Not particular high on ayton. He has a 7'5 wing span but only contests 4% of shots at the rim and the way the nba is you don't need a big 5 anymore like the 80'-90's.I think people will get sent off if they believe ayton is embiid 2.0

I agree with everything you said about bagley he's been the most impressive prospect I've seen so far.

Porter imo will be the best player of the draft in 4-5 years, his offensive skills are advanced and he can easily average 25+

I'm not that concerned about his injury it's not as bad as projected.He might be back this season that's what he indicated at least

I rather draft bpa over fit markannan been Struggling the last 2-3 weeks if he had hypothetically porter and lavine to take defensive pressure off him then markannan would eat.

ayton plays like a quicker greg monroe to me lol
  • ckfree
    Options

bogaerts
    betts
    bradley
    benny
    devers

Not particular high on ayton. He has a 7'5 wing span but only contests 4% of shots at the rim and the way the nba is you don't need a big 5 anymore like the 80'-90's.I think people will get sent off if they believe ayton is embiid 2.0

I agree with everything you said about bagley he's been the most impressive prospect I've seen so far.

Porter imo will be the best player of the draft in 4-5 years, his offensive skills are advanced and he can easily average 25+

I'm not that concerned about his injury it's not as bad as projected.He might be back this season that's what he indicated at least

I rather draft bpa over fit markannan been Struggling the last 2-3 weeks if he had hypothetically porter and lavine to take defensive pressure off him then markannan would eat.

man i was in on ayton to the point where i was already picturing ayton and embiid duking it out in the 2020 ecf lol if you think of the current structure of the east a player like ayton could be irreplaceable long term if embiid stays healthy — undoubtably the 76ers and celtics are the future — ayton would help equalize embiid and would be dominant against a center like horford

but ive been hearing people question his motor and to me when you question a players motor you questioning a players heart

so ive cooled off on him

come march we will have a better assessment

so this is where im at

i can be warmed to the idea of ayton as a bull if bagley is off the board next june or porter but sweet merciful heavens dont take doncic with a top three pick
  • ckfree
    Options
    and i have no concerns about lauri struggles

at this point of the season from

summer league
    fiba
    preseason

to now

he has played over a full college season of play at a higher level

playing more minutes with more travel

its just a rookie hurdle + hes not hidden from because hes the bulls best player
  • ckfree
    Options
    something about this guy taking his sweet time exploring every option available before he signs for 1.5% of his market value really rubs me the wrong way
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

bogaerts
    betts
    bradley
    benny
    devers

man i was in on ayton to the point where i was already picturing ayton and embiid duking it out in the 2020 ecf lol if you think of the current structure of the east a player like ayton could be irreplaceable long term if embiid stays healthy — undoubtably the 76ers and celtics are the future — ayton would help equalize embiid and would be dominant against a center like horford

but ive been hearing people question his motor and to me when you question a players motor you questioning a players heart

so ive cooled off on him

come march we will have a better assessment

so this is where im at

i can be warmed to the idea of ayton as a bull if bagley is off the board next june or porter but sweet merciful heavens dont take doncic with a top three pick

Real talk + his defensive awareness is shaky from what I watched.I'll watch ayton more and be objective I just know the 1st time I watched embiid I immediately thought he was kansas best player not wiggins. With ayton not completely sold yet(not sayin he sucks just don't think he's the best player in the '18 draft)

I saw bagley I think it was vs florida in the lane protecting the rim then the driver kicked it out for a corner 3 and bagley closed out on that 3 so quick I was like hell nah, he moves like a wing. bagley will be a 6'11 more athletic bosh imo and he's still raw wait til he develops

Porter still the #1 for me he's durant 2.0 ,cowley said the bulls were high on porter and had scouted him at the u18 in august(they also been to a few duke games at least 2 so far)

It's still early but those 2 are my top choices and doncic man I don't know I just see a younger hedo turkglu.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    There's no yankee fans on here except october bandwagoners but an ny writer suggested a chance adams and betances for schwarber trade

Man I'd be on that ? in a heart beat lol
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Otani met all the teams Monday and Tuesday except the padres, they go last today.dude met 3 teams a day but the Padres get the whole day smdh

Decision expected by the weekend, then the off season will pop off
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Otani met all the teams Monday and Tuesday except the padres, they go last today.dude met 3 teams a day but the Padres get the whole day smdh

Decision expected by the weekend, then the off season will pop off

he met the padres last night, so much secrecy the media be out the loop
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    really curious to see who they target in free agency and what kind of trades they may be able to pull off

traded a lot of top prospects away the past 2 years so any big trades have to involve a current player on the 25 man roster at this point

mlbtr has darvish as the #1 FA signing with the cubs for 6/150 but arrieta going to the brewers for 4/100

i guess they think darvish signs early and arrieta cant find a taker because if arrieta would take 4/100 the cubs would have already probably done this

alex cobb & tyler chatwood I bet the cubs sign one or both.Darvish only if otani attached

Besides that maybe sign a bullpen pitcher or 2(Addison reed)

I wouldn't put anything past theo but I doubt baez or russell gets traded.Either Happ or schwarber will

:)
  • ckfree
    Options
    chatwood is a good signing for the cubs but the timing leads me to believe they think theyre out on otani

he will excel outside of coors field

3 years 38 mil is pretty low risk in todays SP market

i thought he was older than 27
  • ckfree
    Options
    the twins acquired a top 60 draft prospect and an intriguing catcher that went 5th round for $2 million in slot money

great deals for minnesota

if otani dont go to the cubs (i would love to watch how his career plays out up close) i hope he goes go to the angels

trout deserves some good teammates
  • ckfree
    Options

ive had him on my fantasy team the last two years and as long as you benched him for home starts he was good money
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    chatwood is a good signing for the cubs but the timing leads me to believe they think theyre out on otani

I personally never thought the cubs were gonna get otani just being in the running is a bonus. I already see fools complaining about the contract like lackey didn't get 32 mil to serve up batting practice for 2 years.

chatwood has a 58% groundball rate wit the cubs defense he should thrive. I think this will be a great value contract if he can stay healthy(shaky history)

Now hopefully they can get cobb
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
  • ckfree
    Options

I personally never thought the cubs were gonna get otani just being in the running is a bonus. I already see fools complaining about the contract like lackey didn't get 32 mil to serve up batting practice for 2 years.

chatwood has a 58% groundball rate wit the cubs defense he should thrive. I think this will be a great value contract if he can stay healthy(shaky history)

his numbers are said to be helped by his BABIP lol

but like this move

not outright love at first sight but this move fits the theo/jed m.o and theyve earned a good bit of benefit of the doubt at this point — if hickey is as good as advertised i could see some real upside with chatwood in a cubs uniform the next couple of years (if his health holds out)
  • ckfree
    Options
    jeter is pretty much moving anyone that makes money on that team

kinda rough if you are a marlins fan
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

but like this move

not outright love at first sight but this move fits the theo/jed m.o and theyve earned a good bit of benefit of the doubt at this point — if hickey is as good as advertised i could see some real upside with chatwood in a cubs uniform the next couple of years (if his health holds out)

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-the-cubs-might-see-in-tyler-chatwood/

read this when you get a chance
  • ckfree
    Options

but like this move

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-the-cubs-might-see-in-tyler-chatwood/

read this when you get a chance

that high spin rate and increased velocity probably leads theo and co to believe that he could be this years version of charlie morton

its a solid move for the potential upside vs the cost

especially if you view him as a replacement for lackey in the rotation

just need a 3/4ish type guy to round things out (assuming they dont land otani)