McDonald's Killed The Dollar Menu — Here's What It's Doing Instead

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
McDonald's is offering a new promotion reminiscent of its former Dollar Menu.

The "McPick 2" deal will let customers select two of the following items for $2: a McDouble, a McChicken, small fries, and mozzarella sticks.

The promotion returns sandwiches to the $1 price point of the Dollar Menu.

The deal is the start of a broader value platform that McDonald's is planning to roll out next year, the company told Business Insider.

The fast-food chain killed the Dollar Menu two years ago and turned it into the "Dollar Menu and More." The name change went along with a price hike.

Whereas everything on the Dollar Menu had cost $1, the Dollar Menu and More contained items that cost up to $5.

The shift upset some customers, according to McDonald's CEO Steve Easterbrook.

"Some of the challenges we've had in the US have been somewhat self-inflicted," Easterbrook said during a conference call in July. "We moved away from the Dollar Menu and didn't replace it with significant-enough value in the eyes of consumers."

McDonald's is hoping the new McPick 2 excites those value-seeking customers, who account for about one-quarter of the fast-food chain's total visitors, according to executives. Nation's Restaurant News first reported on the McPick 2 menu.

The new promotion will run nationally for five weeks, starting January 4. At the end of the five weeks, franchisees will have the option to extend the promotion.

A number of other fast-food chains have also started running promotions in the $1 to $5 range recently.

Wendy's recently started offering a "4 for $4" meal that includes a junior bacon cheeseburger, four chicken nuggets, small fries, and a drink — all priced at $4.

Burger King is also lowering prices.

The chain has been offering a 10-piece chicken-nugget deal for $1.49, as well as coupons for other items through its mobile app.

Meanwhile, KFC has been offering a $5 "Fill Up" meal that includes an entrée, a drink, several sides, and a dessert — all for $5.

The meal is largely responsible for recent sales growth at KFC, according to Citi Research analysts.

The rush of promotions indicates that despite lower gas prices and signs of an improving economy, customers are still demanding deep discounts from fast-food chains.

Excessive discounts are hurting the companies' profits, however, so all four chains are pricing promotions a little higher than in the past.

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Laaaaaaame.

Dollar menu been dead for awhile now.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More signs of a company that will eventually fall off. McDonalds will end up at the bottom of the fast food chains.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    If they were to change to match their competitors, they'd bounce back.

Build your own burgers/sandwiches set up like Chipotle or Subway

Fresh, never frozen beef
    Fresh tomatoes, lettuce etc
    Fresh baked buns
    Better oil for their fries
    More cheese seletions

Something like that would help them than these ? tactics

It's always a fun challenge going to Subway and picking out the right breads & toppings that'll make the sub into something that isn't bland as ? .
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had no idea the dollar menu was killed. That was the only reason I used to go back in the day.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mozzarella sticks from McDonald's? Nah bruh.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    Which movie predicted the fast food chain wars
    Was it demolition man?
    I remember some ? like that
    They said taco bell would win too

Yeah it was Demolition Man lol
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KFC would beat Taco Bell.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Our generation and younger ain't playing with our food anymore.

I can dig it.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They already killed it years ago when they made it "Dollar Menu and more" and nothing on the actual menu was $1.

Ain't nobody trying to pay 2 bucks for one of their dog food tasting cheeseburgers.

So yeah...I'll stick to Five Guys and Shake Shack for my fast food needs thank you very much.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you still eating McDonald's this how you should feel
    samwell-fml.gif
    7Z6sl8q.gif
  • Broddie
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    If they were to change to match their competitors, they'd bounce back.

Build your own burgers/sandwiches set up like Chipotle or Subway

Fresh, never frozen beef
    Fresh tomatoes, lettuce etc
    Fresh baked buns
    Better oil for their fries
    More cheese seletions

Something like that would help them than these ? tactics

Dude said Subway lmao

Subway has been irrelevant as hell for the longest. Shake Shack and Five Guys beat them at their own game and personally after the E. Coli scare I'm a bit leery of Chipotle right now.
  • Broddie
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What McDonald's really need to do if they want to survive is compartmentalize their menu. They have way too much ? on there and none of it is quality. Like really who ever asked for salads and ? oatmeal from rinky ass Mickey D's? Ultimate jacks of all trades while mastering none. That's what they get for not staying in their lane and why it was better quality with better service back in the early 90's and late 80's.

If they just focused on what they're known for (Big Mac, Quarter Pounders, Fries) and focused on mastering the recipes on a smaller menu (10 items or less) making the items much more quality from a flavor, cooking and ingredient POV they wouldn't be in this predicament.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude said Subway lmao

Subway has been irrelevant as hell for the longest. Shake Shack and Five Guys beat them at their own game and personally after the E. Coli scare I'm a bit leery of Chipotle right now.

You realize Subway is the number two fast food chain in the world, right?

Shake Shack and Five Guys aren't even touching Subway overall. I'm not talking preferences here. I'd go w those two over McDonalds, as well.

Subway is far from irrelevant.

You're missing what I'm saying, McDonalds changing their whole way of competing to being similar to how these newer "build your own plate" guys are doing it, with healthier options, would skyrocket their sales. Changing prices or a few menu items will do nothing.