GnS Politics 2016: Death Penalty

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For Death Penalty (Courts/Jurors Decision)
    zzombie wrote: »
    LPast wrote: »
    @zzombie

I thought thou shall not ? ?

It's thou shall not murder

Thou shalt not ? .
    Ex 20:13

Strongs # 07523 for "? " in that verse.

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

iv.slayer (intentional) (participle)

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

ii.murderer, assassin (participle)(subst)

D.(Pual) to be killed

Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)

רָצַח râtsach, raw-tsakh'; a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. ? (a human being), especially to murder:—put to death, ? , (man-) slay(-er), murder(-er).

There is a difference in context you cannot just go by dictionary definitions outside of context. If people followed context they would be a lot less confused

That is the strongs number and definition used for that exact verse tho.....

So the definition given by strongs is in linev with what I said.

If you were quoting from exodus 20:13, yes sir.

From the wiki:

Unlike other Biblical reference books, the purpose of Strong's Concordance is not to provide content or commentary about the Bible, but to provide an index to the Bible.

Pretty much the only versions of the Bible that translate it as "Thou Shalt Not ? " is the KJV or variants of it. Go look in the NIV or NKJV or any other book that focuses on accuracy and you'll see it translated as "You shall not murder" or "You shall not commit murder." Again, it's silly to believe that ? commanded people not to ? considering how much he helped them do just that. Hell, in Deuteronomy ? specifically tells the Israelites to ? everyone they come across when they got to the promised land.

On topic, I don't see how anyone can say the Death Penalty is cruel. Being caged for the rest of your life, sometimes in solitary confinement is way more cruel. Every living thing dies. That's a natural part of life. Being trapped in a box for 23 hours a day is as unnatural as it gets for human beings.

And this is why....we should only use the KJV bible and strive to learn the Hebrew to be able to go back to the original.

Hebrew and English are very different. And that's why I keep my Strong's concordance on me to reference the original Hebrew words before they were translated.

This doesn't make sense. The KJV is notoriously inaccurate, so why of all the versions would you choose to stick with that one? And again, Strong's Concordance just allows you to trace words. It doesn't actually help you understand what was being said or the context in which it was being said. You'd be much better off reading something like the New International Version, which was created with the expressed purpose of being as close to the original Aramaic and Hebrew as possible. For the third time, ? gave people directives to ? and he gave people powers (i.e. Samson), which he expected them to use for nothing else but killing. It would make absolutely no sense to believe that he would do that, not want people to ? under any circumstances.
    riddlerap wrote: »
    Only reason Im kinda against the death penalty is because its the easy way out compared to life in prison.

i've never understood this logic.

breathing >>>> not breathing

the first little stint is gonna suck in prison, but eventually you get used to it and that becomes your life.. you adapt and then you enjoy little dumb ? like the dessert at meal time, instead of whatever you enjoyed on the outside, but you're still alive, and ABLE to "enjoy" things, and think, and everything.

I get it. I rather not exist than exist in captivity for the rest of my life. I'm sure you could adapt to life in jail. Africans adapted to live in slavery. Jews adapted to live in Concentration Camps. You being able to adapt to a ? life doesn't make that life any less ? .
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pro-Life (Against death penalty)
    Only reason Im kinda against the death penalty is because its the easy way out compared to life in prison.

the first little stint is gonna suck in prison, but eventually you get used to it and that becomes your life.. you adapt and then you enjoy little dumb ? like the dessert at meal time, instead of whatever you enjoyed on the outside, but you're still alive, and ABLE to "enjoy" things, and think, and everything.

I tend to agree with this. I mean, how many "life without parole" prisoners are trying to get the death penalty? A lot less than vice versa. So I dont really buy into the idea that life is worse than the death penalty. But still, the idea for me is so horrific and primitive that I can't get with it.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »
    Some people deserve horrible deaths.

They should die in the same manor they killed the victim

i.e. firing squads
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tend to agree with this. I mean, how many "life without parole" prisoners are trying to get the death penalty? A lot less than vice versa. So I dont really buy into the idea that life is worse than the death penalty. But still, the idea for me is so horrific and primitive that I can't get with it.

This is a fair point, but I think that's more because living things are kinda predisposed to cling to life. Most people don't become suicidal under any circumstances. Just because somebody is not choosing to leap to their deaths doesn't mean that their life is better than being dead.

I don't believe I'd commit suicide if I got life in prison, but I'd probably still prefer death over spending the rest of my life behind bars.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @zzombie

Thou shalt not ? .

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

D.(Pual) to be killed

רָצַח râtsach, raw-tsakh'; a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. ? (a human being), especially to murder:—put to death, ? , (man-) slay(-er), murder(-er).

There is a difference in context you cannot just go by dictionary definitions outside of context. If people followed context they would be a lot less confused

From the wiki:

Unlike other Biblical reference books, the purpose of Strong's Concordance is not to provide content or commentary about the Bible, but to provide an index to the Bible.

Pretty much the only versions of the Bible that translate it as "Thou Shalt Not ? " is the KJV or variants of it. Go look in the NIV or NKJV or any other book that focuses on accuracy and you'll see it translated as "You shall not murder" or "You shall not commit murder." Again, it's silly to believe that ? commanded people not to ? considering how much he helped them do just that. Hell, in Deuteronomy ? specifically tells the Israelites to ? everyone they come across when they got to the promised land.

On topic, I don't see how anyone can say the Death Penalty is cruel. Being caged for the rest of your life, sometimes in solitary confinement is way more cruel. Every living thing dies. That's a natural part of life. Being trapped in a box for 23 hours a day is as unnatural as it gets for human beings.

And this is why....we should only use the KJV bible and strive to learn the Hebrew to be able to go back to the original.

Hebrew and English are very different. And that's why I keep my Strong's concordance on me to reference the original Hebrew words before they were translated.

This doesn't make sense. The KJV is notoriously inaccurate, so why of all the versions would you choose to stick with that one? And again, Strong's Concordance just allows you to trace words. It doesn't actually help you understand what was being said or the context in which it was being said. You'd be much better off reading something like the New International Version, which was created with the expressed purpose of being as close to the original Aramaic and Hebrew as possible. For the third time, ? gave people directives to ? and he gave people powers (i.e. Samson), which he expected them to use for nothing else but killing. It would make absolutely no sense to believe that he would do that, not want people to ? under any circumstances.

I'm not tryna derail this any longer, but if you really want to know why after this post, hit the pm or make a thread....

But to understand why I say the KJV is the best is because it is the closest to the original scriptures in their native tongues. And because man is susceptible to error in translations, this is why I'm studying Hebrew and ALWAYS cross reference with the Strongs. And for you to say this
    And again, Strong's Concordance just allows you to trace words. It doesn't actually help you understand what was being said or the context in which it was being said

Indicates to me tou dont understand how a Strong's Concordance works. For example, here are all the different Hebrew words used for the general English word "love"

http://www.eliyah.com/cgi-bin/strongs.cgi?file=hebrewlexicon&isindex=love

Now if you looked at that link, you will see all the different words in Hebrew that mean different types of "love" based on context. Bur in English, we would just translate each one of those DIFFERENT words as "love".

So knowing the Hebrew word originally used gives you better understanding of what is being said.

All these new translations are bastardized, paraphrased versions of the KJV....

http://av1611.com/kjbp/articles/bacon-niv1.html
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    every time something like this is discussed, y'all bring up slavery, revenge, and anger.
    those things have no place in a civilized society.
    especially a civilized justice system.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm not too keen on the death sentence being left up to the discretion of one man either. There are too many biases and emotions that can skew objectivity and could tip the balance of someone's life. I've seen judges drop ridiculous sentences and bond amounts just because they're having a ? day.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For Death Penalty (Victims family's decision)
    @zzombie

Thou shalt not ? .

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

D.(Pual) to be killed

From the wiki:

I'm not tryna derail this any longer, but if you really want to know why after this post, hit the pm or make a thread....

But to understand why I say the KJV is the best is because it is the closest to the original scriptures in their native tongues. And because man is susceptible to error in translations, this is why I'm studying Hebrew and ALWAYS cross reference with the Strongs. And for you to say this
    And again, Strong's Concordance just allows you to trace words. It doesn't actually help you understand what was being said or the context in which it was being said

Indicates to me tou dont understand how a Strong's Concordance works. For example, here are all the different Hebrew words used for the general English word "love"

Now if you looked at that link, you will see all the different words in Hebrew that mean different types of "love" based on context. Bur in English, we would just translate each one of those DIFFERENT words as "love".

So knowing the Hebrew word originally used gives you better understanding of what is being said.

the only reason you are defending the exclusive use of the jkv is because you are a hebrew isralite ....keep it real because i know that is part of what you ? believe. the current jkv is not even the original one
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I support the death penalty 100%......some people deserve to die, point blank period. Can't no one look me in the eye and tell me someone like a Charles Manson or John Wayne Gacy doesn't deserve to die. I've read up on some torturing, ? ? type killers. those who are against the death penalty might want to do the same.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Special challenge to those against the death penalty.....Google Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. Then tell me some people don't deserve it
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@zzombie

Thou shalt not ? .

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

D.(Pual) to be killed

From the wiki:

the only reason you are defending the exclusive use of the jkv is because you are a hebrew isralite ....keep it real because i know that is part of what you ? believe. the current jkv is not even the original one

I use a 1611 KJV because it has the apocrypha. And in defending it because of the reasons in the post you quoted.

There seems to be varied opinions on Hebrew Israelites, which I guess is understandable. But I'm nothing like GMS or ISUPK Israelites.

But since you mentioned it....what is the original kjv?
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    ? ain't quick enough for me. ? be on death row for like 30 years before they get put down. ? all that ? . Pedos and their ilk need to go too.

"Oh you murked someone? ? , you dying tomorrow."

Amen to that, the death penalty (in cases where the evidence is not in question or dispute) should be sped up, like it is in Saudi Arabia and most African countries. Waiting 20 or 30 years to die is ridiculous, ? that
  • zzombie
    Options
    @zzombie

Thou shalt not ? .

RATSACH

I.to murder, slay, ?

A.(Qal) to murder, slay

i.premeditated

ii.accidental

iii.as avenger

B.(Niphal) to be slain

C.(Piel)

i.to murder, assassinate

D.(Pual) to be killed

From the wiki:

I use a 1611 KJV because it has the apocrypha. And in defending it because of the reasons in the post you quoted.

There seems to be varied opinions on Hebrew Israelites, which I guess is understandable. But I'm nothing like GMS or ISUPK Israelites.

But since you mentioned it....what is the original kjv?

The original one that went into mass production was the 1611 however the logic in only using a kjv of the bible when all versions of the jkv are imperfect translations makes no sense.

especially since the english language has changed so much since 1611 it doubly make no sense
  • kingblaze84
    Options

And locking someone up in a prison cage for the REST of their life isn't horrific and primitive.....? Meanwhile, my taxpayer dollars gotta pay for some child molesting, psychopath ? that murked a whole family and tortured and did worse to them? ? THAT, it's better for everyone that someone like that is killed off and forgotten about.

And yes I get the death penalty process is expensive but if we speed up the death process, tax payer dollars can be wasted less.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    serial killers/rapists are rare...
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2015
    Options
    serial killers/rapists are rare...

True but they still exist in big enough numbers. It's estimated that there are hundreds and maybe thousands of serial killers in America alone. And torture murderers are not that rare, so the system needs to ? off people like that, before they become a threat to anyone else, including people in jail.

Just on principle alone, people like that shouldn't be allowed to live, and why should they. ? them.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just think the death penalty is Barbaric.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Special challenge to those against the death penalty.....Google Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. Then tell me some people don't deserve it
    WHEN Bill Clinton was governor of Arkansas, he oversaw the execution of Ricky Ray Rector, a man so mentally disabled that he said he would save the pecan pie from his last meal “for later”. In 2002 the Supreme Court ruled that putting mentally ? people to death was “cruel and unusual”, and therefore unconstitutional. But the justices left it up to the states to define what “? ” meant, and this has proved so difficult that on March 3rd the issue came before the court again.
    http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21598681-can-you-execute-man-whose-iq-71-death-mentally-disabled

Happens far more than the stuff you talking
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    WHEN Bill Clinton was governor of Arkansas, he oversaw the execution of Ricky Ray Rector, a man so mentally disabled that he said he would save the pecan pie from his last meal “for later”. In 2002 the Supreme Court ruled that putting mentally ? people to death was “cruel and unusual”, and therefore unconstitutional. But the justices left it up to the states to define what “? ” meant, and this has proved so difficult that on March 3rd the issue came before the court again.
    http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21598681-can-you-execute-man-whose-iq-71-death-mentally-disabled

I just holler'd. I actually screamed.

4622173.gif
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm gonna show you how wrong killing is by killing you!!

Lol ......

That's not what capital punishment is for

It's has no purpose .... And that is the problem
  • zzombie
    Options

Lol ......

It's purpose is to remove people that have proven that they are to dangerous to keep alive.

And to give the families of their victims satisfaction.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

This is a fair point, but I think that's more because living things are kinda predisposed to cling to life. Most people don't become suicidal under any circumstances. Just because somebody is not choosing to leap to their deaths doesn't mean that their life is better than being dead.

I don't believe I'd commit suicide if I got life in prison, but I'd probably still prefer death over spending the rest of my life behind bars.

Living things are predisposed to prefer living ......lol ...what a novel concept

I will say tho that any inmate who has been given a life sentence with no chance of parole should have the option of voluntary euthanasia if desired ....although I doubt you'd have many capitolizing on the opportunity to escape the cruel torturous conditions of prison via death ......
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    jono wrote: »

I'm not big on executing mentally ? people but if the crime is especially brutal, I'm not gonna have sympathy. I don't give a ? if Forrest Gump is on trial, if he or she has committed an especially brutal murder, I'll ? the muthafucka myself.

That goes for Ricky Ray too. If the crime is brutal and was not justified in ANY way, then my sympathy goes out the window.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Lol ......

The purpose is JUSTICE and satisfaction of the family. Go ? a baby bear in front of a mother bear and tell me what that mother bear is gonna do to you.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

And locking someone up in a prison cage for the REST of their life isn't horrific and primitive.....? Meanwhile, my taxpayer dollars gotta pay for some child molesting, psychopath ? that murked a whole family and tortured and did worse to them? ? THAT, it's better for everyone that someone like that is killed off and forgotten about.

And yes I get the death penalty process is expensive but if we speed up the death process, tax payer dollars can be wasted less.

"There have been 321 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States. The first DNA exoneration took place in 1989. Exonerations have been won in 38 states; since 2000, there have been 254 exonerations. 20 of the 321 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row."

? Your Innocence......What About My Tax Payer Dollars B! I Need A New Flatscreen ..What About Me!! ....Speed That ? Up!!