Options
167891012»

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Sasuke never lost to anyone except naruto.

Most of his "wins" is on some fluke ?

Bee killed that fool. Literally.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    This thread brings the essays of DuBois to mind, particularly his definition of what he terms, "double consciousness":
    the ? is a sort of seventh son, born with a veil, and gifted with second-sight in this American world,—a world which yields him no true self-consciousness, but only lets him see himself through the revelation of the other world. It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others, of measuring one’s soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One ever feels his two-ness,—an American, a ? ; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder.

The history of the American ? is the history of this strife — this longing to attain self-conscious manhood, to merge his double self into a better and truer self. In this merging he wishes neither of the older selves to be lost. He does not wish to Africanize America, for America has too much to teach the world and Africa. He wouldn't bleach his ? blood in a flood of white Americanism, for he knows that ? blood has a message for the world. He simply wishes to make it possible for a man to be both a ? and an American without being cursed and spit upon by his fellows, without having the doors of opportunity closed roughly in his face.

African American culture is an amalgamation of atavistic compulsions and Western education. The African American mind is unique. All that we've achieved collectively is our culture by definition. I think that our culture will flourish as long as we strive to uplift and unify each other.

Is that from "Dark Water?"
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @mods.. Please sticky this goat thread!
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    This thread brings the essays of DuBois to mind, particularly his definition of what he terms, "double consciousness":
    the ? is a sort of seventh son, born with a veil, and gifted with second-sight in this American world,—a world which yields him no true self-consciousness, but only lets him see himself through the revelation of the other world. It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others, of measuring one’s soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One ever feels his two-ness,—an American, a ? ; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder.

The history of the American ? is the history of this strife — this longing to attain self-conscious manhood, to merge his double self into a better and truer self. In this merging he wishes neither of the older selves to be lost. He does not wish to Africanize America, for America has too much to teach the world and Africa. He wouldn't bleach his ? blood in a flood of white Americanism, for he knows that ? blood has a message for the world. He simply wishes to make it possible for a man to be both a ? and an American without being cursed and spit upon by his fellows, without having the doors of opportunity closed roughly in his face.

African American culture is an amalgamation of atavistic compulsions and Western education. The African American mind is unique. All that we've achieved collectively is our culture by definition. I think that our culture will flourish as long as we strive to uplift and unify each other.

Souls of Black Folk
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im gonna make some threads about AA culture for you guys this week
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »

Souls of Black Folk

Good looking out. I bought that book some years ago with "Dark Water" but one of my homies "Borrowed" it and never gave it back. I wonder if he read it.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

I'm half way thorough this...

This is one of the saddest videos I've seen in my life. I wonder how these people and their children are doing now.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been to a few weddings where the couple jumped the broom back in the day and recently. All I thought was I ain't jumping no muthafucking broom. Sure enough my wife felt the same!
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    I've been to a few weddings where the couple jumped the broom back in the day and recently. All I thought was I ain't jumping no muthafucking broom. Sure enough my wife felt the same!

Lol.

Yeah we said the same thing.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

This is one of the saddest videos I've seen in my life. I wonder how these people and their children are doing now.

Its sad but very eye opening. I mean think about how many videos we have seen from back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and how ? hasn't changed at all for us as a people. In some situations the ? has actually gotten worse.

As ? up as it made me feel I'm still glad I watched it though.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Lol.

Yeah we said the same thing.

Good for yall!
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

Its sad but very eye opening. I mean think about how many videos we have seen from back in the 60's, 70's and 80's and how ? hasn't changed at all for us as a people. In some situations the ? has actually gotten worse.

Right. That video could be made now and look very similar to how it did back then. But the thing that tripped me our is how they mentioned white families being in the same boat, but you will never see a news special about that...

But that young Billy Dee Williams looking dude was ? me off....
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Right. That video could be made now and look very similar to how it did back then. But the thing that tripped me our is how they mentioned white families being in the same boat, but you will never see a news special about that...

But that young Billy Dee Williams looking dude was ? me off....

You wouldn't out your family members or friends to world about they ? up ? . Same with the media they not going to show themselves in a bad light doing ? up ? . All the ? up ? they do is never put on camera or publicly criticized but when we do the same its broadcast the world over for us to be criticized about it though. The luxury you get when you get to control your own narrative.

That dude was a ? clown who really had no self respect whatsoever. I really would like an update to see how they fared in life.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    LPast wrote: »
    What culture?

Expound

I'd argue that AA are too closely related America and to far from its diverse African origins to have a true culture.

I would say AA culture is American culture.

Mainstream culture have truly never accepted us or our contributions

So to that I say we made American culture our own spawning AA culture
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    @desertrain10

You generally have solid opinions on the topics discussed here. How do you feel about AA culture in the context of what has been discussed in this thread so far?
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @desertrain10

You generally have solid opinions on the topics discussed here. How do you feel about AA culture in the context of what has been discussed in this thread so far?

If we are going by the traditional definition of the word culture, there is a such thing as AA culture

With that said, considering how young AA culture is and it's unique genesis I think it's a mistake to compare it to other cultures
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    @desertrain10

If we are going by the traditional definition of the word culture, there is a such thing as AA culture

With that said, considering how young AA culture is and it's unique genesis I think it's a mistake to compare it to other cultures

I can understand that point. Examining a culture from an academic perspective, certain aspects of that particular culture are commonly observed to get a good understanding of it. With AA culture having a unique origin and being "new" compared to others, maybe a different approach would be necessary.