A Serious Discussion About "African-American Culture"

Options

Comments

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    I think part the problem is that a lot of us in thread don't actually know about AA culture... Because we're not cultured...

So the discussion falls into what a lot of us know... Music

What does this even mean??????

And what is wrong with discussing music as a part of our culture? Are we going to belittle mexicans for being proud that salsa music is a part of their culture? No, you wouldn't ? dare.

The problem is-is that african americans are just dumb as ? and slave minded to hell and back, you ? is programmed to view everything that is yours as bad. How in the ? is discussing music as a part of our culture a bad thing or something lesser than the rest?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And can some of you ? ? give examples of Jamaican culture, hatian culture, afro guyanese culture and what makes it so grand in comparison to the lowly ? in the united states(who just so happen to influence jamaicans, hatians and other non-american black in damn near everything they do)

I bet no one would accuse afro latinos or mixed latinos of having no culture, them muthafuckas come from slaves just like we do

? will walk around talkin about some ? ? culture then act like african americans aint got no culture, every ? group has a culture

get out of your feelings ? i already gave props to african americans for creating some of the greatest artistic expressions of the last 200 years. it's just that when it comes to hip-hop culture you guys cannot lay total claim to it two many other african descended people had a hand in it's creation.

and just remember this thread was started by an african american so it's you ? with the internal problem.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    I think part the problem is that a lot of us in thread don't actually know about AA culture... Because we're not cultured...

So the discussion falls into what a lot of us know... Music

What does this even mean??????

And what is wrong with discussing music as a part of our culture? Are we going to belittle mexicans for being proud that salsa music is a part of their culture? No, you wouldn't ? dare.

The problem is-is that african americans are just dumb as ? and slave minded to hell and back, you ? is programmed to view everything that is yours as bad. How in the ? is discussing music as a part of our culture a bad thing or something lesser than the rest?

Are you an AA? If not, what do you identify as?
  • zzombie
    Options
    music is art and art is the expression of a culture not the sum total of it
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I´m an African American lol.I was born in south America but it´s still America and I´m still african.I hate the labels dropped on us.But yea Black peope from north America made Hip Hop.That ? started in the Bronx.All you gotta do is go to the Bronx and feel the vibe and you will see hip hop came form there.
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I´m an African American lol.I was born in south America but it´s still America and I´m still african.I hate the labels dropped on us.But yea Black peope from north America made Hip Hop.That ? started in the Bronx.All you gotta do is go to the Bronx and feel the vibe and you will see hip hop came form there.

the bronx is multi-ethnic always has been and for the last ? time hip-hop is not just music
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    if you go to the south bronx today you will see (excluding the recent gentrifiers) african americans, west indians and especially hispanics and is was that way since the founding of hip-hop.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

the bronx is multi-ethnic always has been and for the last ? time hip-hop is not just music

I did not say Hip Hop is just music.? you I do Graffitti.
    Afrika Bambaataa unified hip hop.If you like it or not around the world claims that HE CREATED HIP HOP.Not me brother the whole WORLD says that.He´s so global that theres Zulu Nation in Rio and São Paulo.The Bronx is the birth place of hip hop.THAT ? IS THE HIP HOP MECCA.NY CREATED THAT ? .THERE´S NO WAY AROUND IT AND THAT ? IS GENIUS LIKE.
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options

I did not say Hip Hop is just music.? you I do Graffitti.
    Afrika Bambaataa unified hip hop.If you like it or not around the world claims that HE CREATED HIP HOP.Not me brother the whole WORLD says that.He´s so global that theres Zulu Nation in Rio and São Paulo.The Bronx is the birth place of hip hop.THAT ? IS THE HIP HOP MECCA.NY CREATED THAT ? .THERE´S NO WAY AROUND IT AND THAT ? IS GENIUS LIKE.

afrika bambaataa did not create hip-hop he did not even come up with the term hip-hop and the people who were around bambaata will tell you that. what he did was market it to the world that's why to the mainstream he is sometimes credited with creating it.

but yes hiphop did come out of the poor black communities of nyc and nyc is mixed black american,west indian and hispanic.
  • zzombie
    Options
    also does the idea that one person created a whole culture really make sense to you
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @zzombie Jesus Christ did not create Christianity but that religion is based on his life and teachings.Everyone that did Hip Hop in it´s creation gravitated towards Bambaata and followed his teachings.You can´t debate that.If hip hop is not just music and it´s a culture then show me the influence of Herc in numerous ideias within hip hop.
  • zzombie
    Options
    @zzombie Jesus Christ did not create Christianity but that religion is based on his life and teachings.Everyone that did Hip Hop in it´s creation gravitated towards Bambaata and followed his teachings.You can´t debate that.If hip hop is not just music and it´s a culture then show me the influence of Herc in numerous ideias within hip hop.

? what???? this is what bambaata said about the creation of hip-hop:

First of all, let me tell you that the music (beats) that makes up hip-hop, comes from different nationalities and races, especially from black people, and if you think I am a brother who don`t know what he is talking about, just check out many of the music, beats, grooves and sounds that many of your rappers use to make their records or rap over. Hip-hop music in general is colorless and not racist.

It comes from many categories in music, for example: Hip-hop music is made up from other forms of music like funk, soul, rhythm & blues, jazz, rock heavy metal, salsa, soca (calypso), TV shows, kiddie shows, horror movies, techno, pop, disco, african, arabic, reggae -etc. . . . and if you use any records from these categories, you will see that the music is made by people from different races or nationalities from all over the planet, but it`s roots start with black PEOPLE

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

HipHop to me is BLACK music. I don't give a ? whether it was Black Americans or Afro-Carribean who started it..

When a HipHop beat or song come on in the club or any gathering you watch the movement/dance of any Black person no matter their nationality and you can tell the culture is deep rooted in African DNA.

808 drum machine OR the Yoruba talking drum?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    @rip.dilla
    @AggyAF
    Why yall boys in yall feelings like that?
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blacks and Afro-Caribbean's helped to create Hip Hop. They also both had ancestors who survived the trans-Atlantic slave trade as well. It doesn't matter if the slave owners were Spanish, French, English, sometimes we get to thinking like them and want to divide everything up and put labels on it.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    @rip.dilla

don't just hit the button, explain to me what you disagree with, if i didnt ? with yall ? i wouldnt have even taken the time to @ you
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? quit moaning about reaction buttons. Automatic feelings.. you already know
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    Yall carribean ? do the same ? wit Malcolm X, talkin bout he is an Afro carribean because his father is west indian, as if his mother is not African American, yall boys need to slow the ? down, I know African Americans is great and all but damn ease up off the sack

And if these supposed Afro carribeans grew up in NYC, wouldnt that more than likely make them culturally African American, so how much of this west indian dynamic went in to the creation of the music
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yall carribean ? do the same ? wit Malcolm X, talkin bout he is an Afro carribean because his father is west indian, as if his mother is not African American, yall boys need to slow the ? down, I know African Americans is great and all but damn ease up off the sack

And if these supposed Afro carribeans grew up in NYC, wouldnt that more than likely make them culturally African American, so how much of this west indian dynamic went in to the creation of the music

You have it backwards his mother was west indian and his father african american and the majority of children of west indian immigrants still consider themselves west indian. those millions of people who come out reping the carribean every labor day are not immigrants.

are you from nyc or even the northeast?? the roving deejaying thing that sparked the whole musical aspect of the culture is largely the same thing jamaicans did back home.
  • zzombie
    Options
    hip-hop was created by west indians and african americans can we please move the ? on already.... i am interested in hearing what african americans consider the unique culture and i don't just mean your arts
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    hip-hop was created by west indians and african americans can we please move the ? on already.... i am interested in hearing what african americans consider the unique culture and i don't just mean your arts

I've been waiting on a real response as well.

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options

nah

I already posted examples of AA culture, i'm waitin for you to explain jamaican culture and what makes it such a prestigious culture compared to AAs
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options

nah

I already posted examples of AA culture, i'm waitin for you to explain jamaican culture and what makes it such a prestigious culture compared to AAs

? you proved nothing you just talked about music music that was often times played by and innovated by west indian deejays in america and i don't believe jamaican culture is anymore prestigious than african america culture if such a thing exist????

you sound like an insecure girl right now.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

nah

Where did you post this?
  • zzombie
    Options
    a lot of the graf art came from hispanics
    alot of the deejaying came from west indians
    The actual music that was played was african american but how it was played, the techniques and equipment used to play the music was innovated by non-african american blacks word to grandmaster flash