A Serious Discussion About "African-American Culture"

Options

Comments

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    FOH ? , ? don't know ? about African American culture

Like we needed some bare-footed island rats to help us do some ? we been doin for
    Bare foot island rats? Unnecessary

Years and years of me internalizing unprovoked African American bashing caused that
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    African American Culture is an amalgam of the two cultures mentioned in the name. African culture is one of life, art, music, good cuisine, etc. All of those aspects we still maintain today, however, some we have lost. Many of us aren't as hospitable as our African counterparts, for example. We have created multiple genres of music, which is remarkable due to the complete lack of musical training many Blacks received in this country. Soul food, have flavors that are easily superior to that bland ? that White Americans cook. That's due to African influences as well, particularly recreating the spice palette as best we could. Like Whites we are individualistic, so eating communally with our hands, like in Africa, isn't done anymore. We need knives & forks.

I think our culture aligns closely with Africa in the way we worship. The lively church services and soulful music that is known in the Black Churches is similar to African spiritual sessions. White churches are typically more formal and uptight. Typically throughout history whites didn't even want music in the church. It was considered devilish. In contrast Black People have put ? into every genre of music, which is probably why there is a gospel version of every genre.

The bagginess of our clothes is widely believed to be influenced by prison culture. However, the fact is that tight clothes are just uncomfortable. Most people wore robes & cloth until European contact. Are current Fashion sense is much like White people, and that's why it's so stupid. Who wears a three-piece suit in a tropical region? That ? is dumb. The point i'm trying to illustrate is that White people use culture-shaming tactics today to make us want to be like them. You havee to dress like them, talk like them, act like them, etc at the expense of your cultural identity. It's how our culture was influenced by White culture, which is really an oxymoron. Some is gone, some is still with us, but culture is an ever-evolving entity,; it can be reclaimed, refine, and improved at any time.

Word, I was just thinkin bout this ? the other day. We have different body shapes and ? from them flat assted ass ? crackas, ? we got hips, ass, and ? , no ? , can't no ? walk around wit ? ass jeans designed for some reptillian, pigskinned ? cracka, that ? aint designed for us
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    @AggyAF

? what you said disproves itself because it's illogical.

The founders were west Indian but yet somehow hip-hop is only African American???? Lol does that make ? sense to you. And I'm talking about hip-hop your just speaking about the Music.

Disprove anything i said with evidence.

Dog what you said makes no sense. asking me to disprove it is like asking me to prove a round triangle.

You cannot say hip-hop was solely created by African americans and then say some of the founders were west Indian. You are contradicting yourself.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    ZuluQueen wrote: »
    There are very little things left over in African American culture thats African, it has all been destroyed. The only people who have been able to keep apart of Africa alive are the Gullah-Geechie people. The main element of African American music that is rooted in Africa is the Blues. Latin Americans are more African culturally than African Americans. The whites in the United States were more invested in breaking the slave, and that detailed removing the slave of their entire identity. The main element thats African about African Americans is their genetics, which is not something Latin Americans can claim. But y'all are mixing like crazy, so soon everything about Africa will soon be erased from your memories.

A lie, i know yall ? dont ? wit the place im bout to link but ? it, they can explain better than i can
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are very little things left over in African American culture thats African, it has all been destroyed. The only people who have been able to keep apart of Africa alive are the Gullah-Geechie people. The main element of African American music that is rooted in Africa is the Blues. Latin Americans are more African culturally than African Americans. The whites in the United States were more invested in breaking the slave, and that detailed removing the slave of their entire identity. The main element thats African about African Americans is their genetics, which is not something Latin Americans can claim. But y'all are mixing like crazy, so soon everything about Africa will soon be erased from your memories.

A lie, i know yall ? dont ? wit the place im bout to link but ? it, they can explain better than i can

The first six pages all they talked about was music.....

I'm cool
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options

The first six pages all they talked about was music.....

I'm cool

its 22 pages long though and it is about more than just music they touch on many things but you are only doing yourself a disservice so who gives a ? lol you can remain ignorant about your own culture
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    and you a ? shalom heberew isralite ? , smh lost ass damned fool
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

Point me down the path to enlightenment then, brother.

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited December 2015
    Options

You sittin up here denying the existence of your own true AA culture, but you somehow have come to believe that you are a jew from israel, ? ? yoself

you hate yourself thats the problem, and thats why you refuse to read the thread i linked, because it without a doubt proves that you are an african, and you are ashamed of being of african descent, you aint no ? jew, you a african ?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options

You sittin up here denying the existence of your own true AA culture, but you somehow have come to believe that you are a jew from israel, ? ? yoself

Ight cool
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still watching this ? is wild!!!
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

thats a very informative video, i'm watching it myself. the black experience by in large has been that of the struggle and overcoming those odds, turning a negative into a positive. the broken family structure is a by product of the black experience in america.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That video got me tight son

I don't like the fact that cacs caused the majority of these issues we see today, and then observe and try to determine what the issue is as if they can fix it or genuinely care......it's like a ? consoling the victim....foh with that ?

Only watched like 2-3 minutes of the video tho
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »

I don't like the fact that cacs caused the majority of these issues we see today, and then observe and try to determine what the issue is as if they can fix it or genuinely care......it's like a ? consoling the victim....foh with that ?

The first few minutes is what ? me up the most so far. What's crazy is the simple fact that they could have done the same documentary on poor white people and got the same ? results.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »

thats how I felt too, you steal my car then come over the next day like damn, so how you gone get to work now?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @AggyAF

The founders were west Indian but yet somehow hip-hop is only African American???? Lol does that make ? sense to you. And I'm talking about hip-hop your just speaking about the Music.

Dog what you said makes no sense. asking me to disprove it is like asking me to prove a round triangle.

You cannot say hip-hop was solely created by African americans and then say some of the founders were west Indian. You are contradicting yourself.

There's plenty of videos and books that support what i say
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @AggyAF

I doubt they say what you think they say because what you are saying makes no ? sense.

If many of the first hip-hop deejays were west indian, if many of the audience members were west indian, if many of the break dancers were not african american, if many of the graffiti artist were not african american. If both west indians, hispanics and african americans had sufficient influence on the hip-hop dress, speech and world view then how exactly is hip-hop culture the sole creation of african americans????
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @AggyAF

I doubt they say what you think they say because what you are saying makes no ? sense.

If many of the first hip-hop deejays were west indian, if many of the audience members were west indian, if many of the break dancers were not african american, if many of the graffiti artist were not african american. If both west indians, hispanics and african americans had sufficient influence on the hip-hop dress, speech and world view then how exactly is hip-hop culture the sole creation of african americans????

The thing is thats not true
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think part the problem is that a lot of us in thread don't actually know about AA culture... Because we're not cultured...

So the discussion falls into what a lot of us know... Music
  • zzombie
    Options
    @AggyAF

The thing is thats not true

yes it is for example the founders and influencers of the graffiti art bomber crews like

tats cru, cope 2, pink lady etc etc were all hispanic.

king charles is west indian, grandmaster flash is from barbados, kool herc is jamaican,
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    Hip Hop music is 100% African American, period
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    And can some of you ? ? give examples of Jamaican culture, hatian culture, afro guyanese culture and what makes it so grand in comparison to the lowly ? in the united states(who just so happen to influence jamaicans, hatians and other non-american black in damn near everything they do)

I bet no one would accuse afro latinos or mixed latinos of having no culture, them muthafuckas come from slaves just like we do

? will walk around talkin about some ? ? culture then act like african americans aint got no culture, every ? group has a culture
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And can some of you ? ? give examples of Jamaican culture, hatian culture, afro guyanese culture and what makes it so grand in comparison to the lowly ? in the united states(who just so happen to influence jamaicans, hatians and other non-american black in damn near everything they do)

I bet no one would accuse afro latinos or mixed latinos of having no culture, them muthafuckas come from slaves just like we do

? will walk around talkin about some ? ? culture then act like african americans aint got no culture, every ? group has a culture

Im not as harsh as u but said what needed to be said. ? is taking shots at us like we not ? .