A Serious Discussion About "African-American Culture"

Options

Comments

• semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The child is second generation cuz the mom came here as a child. The mom is first generation. U only need one parent to move to a country to be second generation
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Outside of hiphop being our ? , I can't say how anything else is set in stone about us. The IC alone is proof that what we do round my way is different from a lot of y'alls in other state or countries do, often enough. But I'll answer OPs questions.

I have to say the genesis is rooted in American slavery. As plantation property, much of the indigenous practices of captive Africans was oppressed by slavers to render them fit for a life in ? . So AA ? grows from that.

Customs/traditions can vary greatly on many levels depending on a number of factors within a black community. Region, religion, sub-culture, etc. But by default, as Americans, we are in line with most American practices.

The African slaves of America, as property, were heavily influenced by the culture of their captors I say. Throughout the years post slavery, influences by other outside forces I'm sure. But In modern times that has reversed as much of the main stream is more and more influenced by what is considered black culture today.

How has it evolved over time? Through force, adaptation, assimilation, and rebellion.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AA are a paradox. We don't have no culture. Not as a collective group, and not in the traditional sense at least. But at the same time we do.

What we have here in the states now for the most part is a group of individualistic people. We all raised different. most sense of culture we develop primarily exists on a level subject to the individual personally and is variable depending on a number of factors - circumstantial, secular, environmental influences (family, religion etc). But traditionally speaking, there are some things which we will always have in common with one other. Like how we can make a beat out of any ? thing no matter what. Or how we are naturally intimidating or naturally talented in various ways without exerting too much effort. our ability to put soul in to some otherwise lifeless ? . It don't matter what it is, you can give us anything and we'll take it, do our own thing and make a lifestyle out of that ? . That's what black culture is.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip-hop isn't African American it was created by Afro Caribbeans, Africanc americans and Puerto Ricans .

The artistic creations of African americans include jazz, blues, African American style gospel. African american folk music. African Americans have produced great writers and painters. African Americans have cultural expressions .

But a culture is more than just art it's a way of thinking and being and living.now do African American s have their own culture in that manner??? I'm not to sure about that.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Kool herc himself will tell u hip hop at the beginning wasnt influenced by jamaican soundsystems. All the elements for hip-hop already existed in AA musical traditions.

You have to remember in the 70s, jamaican culture wasnt "cool" to black Americans yet. It wasnt until the 80s that the Jamaican influence really began and Jamaicans were accepted. Puerto Ricans just watched from the sides, calling it music for "Morenos".

With that said, many of the "founders" were from or of Caribbean descent.

So yeah, hip hop is African-American, just the fact that many West Indians and Puerto ricans were involved from the very beginning and dancehall developed concurrently in Jamaica and both genres heavily influenced each other has led to the belief that hip hop was some great black and brown collaboration.
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    ok so i said i would come back and address oral communication. it seems i am in a small percentage that think we have a culture. i will say this and fall back. it has been studied for years and they are still studying it now. the slaves did not speak the same language nor did they speak the language of the slave masters. they created a language to communicate with each other and with the slave masters. the language is AAE (African American English). y'all might have heard about it lol. folks call it ebonics, slang, aave, and bve. it is our language. now some blacks get upset about this. they think it makes us inferior in some way by saying we dont speak standard english. some folks will argue that white america wants to ? AAE because if u ? a language u ? the peoples cultural identity. mexicans and puerto ricans speak different spanish. they all speak differently than someone born in spain. they can identify each other based off the spanish they speak. we can identify each other based off the AAE we speak. you can tell if a person is from the south or the north or the west coast. we have different dialects within our language.

our language has stayed with us since our beginning. the question was asked why do black children score lower on test. its was argued because the test are not in our language of AAE. the test are in standard english and black americans usually switch from AAE to standard depending on the situation. the children who scored lower are the kids whose families spoke mostly AAE in their household.

there was a documentary done last year about a native american tribe in california that had only 1 fluent speaker left of their language. she created a dictionary for her people so that it could survive because they didnt write their history. slaves wrote ours. we added to it over the years. our language is evidence of our culture. it will continue to be evidence of our cultural.
  • zzombie
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Kool herc himself will tell u hip hop at the beginning wasnt influenced by jamaican soundsystems. All the elements for hip-hop already existed in AA musical traditions.

You have to remember in the 70s, jamaican culture wasnt "cool" to black Americans yet. It wasnt until the 80s that the Jamaican influence really began and Jamaicans were accepted. Puerto Ricans just watched from the sides, calling it music for "Morenos".

So yeah, hip hop is African-American, just the fact that many West Indians and Puerto ricans were involved from the very beginning and dancehall developed concurrently in Jamaica and both genres heavily influenced each other has led to the belief that hip hop was some great black and brown collaboration.

hip-hop is not only african american and that was my point and if many of the "founders" were of caribbean descent then what you are saying makes no ? sense
  • zzombie
    Options
    Also keep in mind we are talking about hip-hop not just rap hip-hop is composed of many elements not just music
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

hip-hop is not only african american and that was my point and if many of the "founders" were of caribbean descent then what you are saying makes no ? sense

Can you disprove anything i said?

Heres just one source:
    One of the first rappers at the beginning of the hip hop period, at the end of the 1970s, was also hip hop's first DJ, DJ Kool Herc. Herc, a Jamaican immigrant, started delivering simple raps at his parties, which some claim were inspired by the Jamaican tradition of toasting.[41] However, Kool Herc himself denies this link (in the 1984 book Hip Hop), saying, "Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn't play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn't accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler's Convention.".[42] Herc also suggests he was too young while in Jamaica to get into sound system parties: "I couldn’t get in. Couldn’t get in. I was ten, eleven years old,"[43] and that while in Jamaica, he was listening to James Brown: "I was listening to American music in Jamaica and my favorite artist was James Brown. That's who inspired me. A lot of the records I played were by James Brown."[41] from this book http://www.amazon.com/Hip-Hop-Illustrated-History-Graffiti/dp/0312373171
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    ok so i said i would come back and address oral communication. it seems i am in a small percentage that think we have a culture. i will say this and fall back. it has been studied for years and they are still studying it now. the slaves did not speak the same language nor did they speak the language of the slave masters. they created a language to communicate with each other and with the slave masters. the language is AAE (African American English). y'all might have heard about it lol. folks call it ebonics, slang, aave, and bve. it is our language. now some blacks get upset about this. they think it makes us inferior in some way by saying we dont speak standard english. some folks will argue that white america wants to ? AAE because if u ? a language u ? the peoples cultural identity. mexicans and puerto ricans speak different spanish. they all speak differently than someone born in spain. they can identify each other based off the spanish they speak. we can identify each other based off the AAE we speak. you can tell if a person is from the south or the north or the west coast. we have different dialects within our language.

our language has stayed with us since our beginning. the question was asked why do black children score lower on test. its was argued because the test are not in our language of AAE. the test are in standard english and black americans usually switch from AAE to standard depending on the situation. the children who scored lower are the kids whose families spoke mostly AAE in their household.

there was a documentary done last year about a native american tribe in california that had only 1 fluent speaker left of their language. she created a dictionary for her people so that it could survive because they didnt write their history. slaves wrote ours. we added to it over the years. our language is evidence of our culture. it will continue to be evidence of our cultural.

I understand your train of thought but aave in 2015 is not a separate language than english
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

I understand your train of thought but aave in 2015 is not a separate language than english

It has always been english but our own form of english. We still speak it today. U remember when u were in school u made fun of the kid that spoke "proper"

https://www.uni-due.de/SVE/VARS_AfricanAmericanEnglish.htm
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @AggyAF

? what you said disproves itself because it's illogical.

The founders were west Indian but yet somehow hip-hop is only African American???? Lol does that make ? sense to you. And I'm talking about hip-hop your just speaking about the Music.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Also kool herc was not the first west indian hip-hop dj nor was he the most influential or innovative west indian hip-hop dj.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If talking about the music, early Hip Hop groove is in a way a modified adaptation of swing grooves found in early Jazz and funk drums...some of those drummers back then was doing Hip Hop without realizing it before the term was coined. To me that's why you can say it came from African Americans, but that's not to say AA were only contributor. All the Djs did was came along and started looping breaks from funk and jazz records.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Christianity :/ AAVE (ebonics), HBCU's(AA bands and halftime shows), second lines at funerals, mardi gras festivals in the gulf coast, AA day parade, modern gospel, blues, jazz, country, rock, soul, funk, disco, doo ? , bee bop, techno, house, new jersey garage, hip hop(has absolutely nothing to do with jamaican people), ragtime, rapping(not the same as hip hop), hoo doo, AA films and literature, Harlem renasiance, soul food , AA pimps, we even had our own form of martial arts at one point I think during slavery, the way our dance steps spread out across the country amongt ourselves(let along the non-blacks and foreign blacks that steal from us) is an example of culture, Louisiana creoles and Gullah geechie ? is AAs so whatever customs they have, civil rights movement, cowboy culture was originally AA, the way we dap ? up and shake hands(terrorist fist bumps), the way we do the head nod at ? when we walk past each other, black panthers, bloods, crips, gd, vl, naacp, ideas of pan-Africanism(which existed in the AA community before marcus garvey, so jamaicans can stop tryna take credit for it), take the chicken out the freezer before yo mama get home

I love how mufuckas say AAs aint got no culture while partaking in our culture

Basically this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture and much more ? i cant think of at the moment for a stupid mufuhcka
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cool thread @Judge_Judah

u ? TS lol

Eat a ? .

But I guess my issue is the fact that AA have no core, fundamental "culture" that we can call our own. Everything we hold on to stems from being enslaved, or we adopted it from others during that time.

Most ancient civilizations that evolves into the various cultures abroad have a core set of beliefs and customs. Rights of passage. Values and morals tied directly to who they are as a people....these things may have some degree of variance when you look at individuals, but there is always a source that these differences can be traced back to....

Can anyone point these things out for me in AA culture? Maybe I'm missing something.

You stupid muthafucka, every group in the world has a ? culture, even homeless people have their own culture, even if it is beggin for money, sleepin on the side walk, and eatin out of trash cans, its still a ? culture

Idk why muthafuckas from all over the world and even African Americans themselves are so hellbent on denying the existence of African American culture
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hip-hop isn't African American it was created by Afro Caribbeans, Africanc americans and Puerto Ricans .

The artistic creations of African americans include jazz, blues, African American style gospel. African american folk music. African Americans have produced great writers and painters. African Americans have cultural expressions .

But a culture is more than just art it's a way of thinking and being and living.now do African American s have their own culture in that manner??? I'm not to sure about that.

How when Hip Hop sounds absolutely NOTHING like any carribean musical genre that came before it?

When you listen to Hip Hop from ANY era of the past what does it sound like to you?

I'll answer it for you. Soul, Jazz, Funk, and Disco, ALL of those genres are African American, Hip Hop music is just a continuation of older African American genres. There is no trace of Reggae or any other form of Jamaican music in Hip Hop from any time period.

Even the actual rapping has been apart of African American culture since the slavery days. African American pimps and preachers have far more influence over hip hop then any scatting or whatever that ? is yall be tryna claim started it all.
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options

How when Hip Hop sounds absolutely NOTHING like any carribean musical genre that came before it?

When you listen to Hip Hop from ANY era of the past what does it sound like to you?

I'll answer it for you. Soul, Jazz, Funk, and Disco, ALL of those genres are African American, Hip Hop music is just a continuation of older African American genres. There is no trace of Reggae or any other form of Jamaican music in Hip Hop from any time period.

Even the actual rapping has been apart of African American culture since the slavery days. African American pimps and preachers have far more influence over hip hop then any scatting or whatever that ? is yall be tryna claim started it all.

Hip-hop may not sound like Caribbean music but Caribbean people helped create hip-hop music and culture. Now the thread is not questioning if African americans created music.it's about if you have your own culture Sorry you can't claim hip-hop as only yours and hip-hop is not just music
  • zzombie
    Options
    Hip-hop music really starts with the dj and the break beat that's where a lot of the west indian influence comes into hip-hop.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hip-hop may not sound like Caribbean music but Caribbean people helped create hip-hop music and culture. Now the thread is not questioning if African americans created music.it's about if you have your own culture Sorry you can't claim hip-hop as only yours and hip-hop is not just music

Hip-hop music really starts with the dj and the break beat that's where a lot of the west indian influence comes into hip-hop.

The things you are saying have been debunked countless times on other forums.

Hip Hop is African American music period.
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    edited December 2015
    Options
    FOH ? , ? don't know ? about African American culture

Like we needed some bare-footed island rats to help us do some ? we been doin for the last 400 ? yearssuge-knight-knocked-out-e1270052583433.jpeg?w=700

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRS62nccwmw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvCCWcR5dM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzKZ7lJRUc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqyZpfsUB0
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options

The semantics of their descent doesn't change that hip hop is an AA culture. Defined, fueled, and dominated by what AA think and live. And to address your obvious disconnect from us, yes, we do have our own culture. We don't just do whatever white people or any other people do.
  • zzombie
    Options
    FOH ? , ? don't know ? about African American culture

Like we needed some bare-footed island rats to help us do some ? we been doin for the last 400 ? yearssuge-knight-knocked-out-e1270052583433.jpeg?w=700

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRS62nccwmw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvCCWcR5dM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzKZ7lJRUc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqyZpfsUB0

Even if your argument was valid that's just music hip-hop is more than music.
  • zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »

The semantics of their descent doesn't change that hip hop is an AA culture. Defined, fueled, and dominated by what AA think and live. And to address your obvious disconnect from us, yes, we do have our own culture. We don't just do whatever white people or any other people do.

No it was not solely fueled by African americans NYC which is the place were hip-hop came together, here the black population is heavily west indian and has been for a long time.

The people making the music, playing the music and listening to the music were west Indian and African American. And hip-hop isn't just music anyway. And lol at the semantics of descent ? there is more than substantial proof to back up what I am saying. It's not my disconnect you need to worry about.

The fact that African americans can even question the Existence of their culture means you are ? Lost.

And I never said anything about white people
  • zzombie
    Options

The things you are saying have been debunked countless times on other forums.

Hip Hop is African American music period.

? out of here. Other forums??? ? I didn't post on those other forums debunk what I am saying here if you can if you cannot move the ? on