The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    About Jill Stein - the way to solve this is to have less democracy? Plenty of countries have more
    than 2 parties, America could benefit from a viable 3rd party

Majority of the people in this country are locked in for life to either democrat or republican and don't even want a third party.

Its funny to me especially in regards to black people when it comes to being open about a 3rd party. Cause I have no understanding of the blind love and loyalty that too many of us give to the democratic party like they really deserve such undying loyalty.

Look at this thread all you see is black people talking about all the dems have to do is put up some good candidates and they got their vote just that easy.

Exactly. Doug Jones already signalling he aint doing ? for Bama

The truth is the federal government would say it’s the states obligation to fix these neighborhoods and HUD can only do so much. Ben Carson has zero interest in enforcing Fair Housing or Urban development

States say they waiting on federal dollars

Municipalities say they waiting on state funds.

Rinse, Repeat

why are we waiting on the state tho?

i bet at least 5 ? who live close got a car worth over $40k and those cribs are about $10k.

]stop waiting on the state or govt
    stop looking like a million when we got a few thousand
    we can take the hood back.....? just dont want to cause it dont bring the ? .

but when them hipsters come in...then ? wanna scream gentrification from their passing audi

Nah ...

Much easier to blame the government
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but none of you ? wanna live in the hood tho
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    About Jill Stein - the way to solve this is to have less democracy? Plenty of countries have more

Majority of the people in this country are locked in for life to either democrat or republican and don't even want a third party.

Its funny to me especially in regards to black people when it comes to being open about a 3rd party. Cause I have no understanding of the blind love and loyalty that too many of us give to the democratic party like they really deserve such undying loyalty.

Look at this thread all you see is black people talking about all the dems have to do is put up some good candidates and they got their vote just that easy.

The truth is the federal government would say it’s the states obligation to fix these neighborhoods and HUD can only do so much. Ben Carson has zero interest in enforcing Fair Housing or Urban development

Rinse, Repeat

Our loyalty should be to us not a ? political party ...

Ok ...

^ This is a given. And really it’s rhetoric

What does that have to do with the local or presidential elections?

Having “loyalty to your own” and voting in your own best interest are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Both can be true at the same time.

Just blindly and faithfully voting democrat ...

Cool.

Find me someone who advocated for this ...
    Thanks, I’ll wait.

Rinse, Repeat

Ok ...

Having “loyalty to your own” and voting in your own best interest are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Why is WAS voting for the DEOMCRATIC CANDIDATE in the 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION democrat in our best interest?

I'm really trying to understand where this mindset is coming from.

Have you been conscious in the last 6 mos?

Check.

Ok - If you STILL need an explanation as to why THIS PRESIDENT and the CURRENT state of his political party are considerably worse for black people (and considerably worse for the majority of Americans) -

Then someone else will have to explain it to you, because I am not willing to expend that time and
    energy.

I’m not “blind”. I’m objective.

Can you say the same for yourself?

Rinse, Repeat

Ok ...

I'm all for local elections the presidential election is just a show to make americans feel like they are really involved in the process of picking the president when IMO we really not.

x37wa2p3l68t.gif

Oh ok - that sounds cool on a message board.

But Who picked the President, then - If it wasn’t Americans?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Rinse, Repeat

Ok ...

Just blindly and faithfully voting democrat ...

Cool.

Find me someone who advocated for this ...
    Thanks, I’ll wait.

Rinse, Repeat

Ok ...

Why is WAS voting for the DEOMCRATIC CANDIDATE in the 2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION democrat in our best interest?

I'm really trying to understand where this mindset is coming from.

Have you been conscious in the last 6 mos?

Check.

Ok - If you STILL need an explanation as to why THIS PRESIDENT and the CURRENT state of his political party are considerably worse for black people (and considerably worse for the majority of Americans) -

Then someone else will have to explain it to you, because I am not willing to expend that time and
    energy.

I’m not “blind”. I’m objective.

Can you say the same for yourself?

Rinse, Repeat

Ok ...

I'm all for local elections the presidential election is just a show to make americans feel like they are really involved in the process of picking the president when IMO we really not.

x37wa2p3l68t.gif

Oh ok - that sounds cool on a message board.

But Who picked the President, then - If it wasn’t Americans?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

You typed a lot of ? to say absolutely nothing.

To act like black people not blindly voting democrat is you bullshitting. All the talking about what democrats need to do and nothing ever said about what any other group or party needs to do equals blindly voting democrat.

The ? is way bigger than trump. Its about history, the present and the future. ? still voting democrat and getting nothing in return.

You shouldn't have to tell me ? about trump or republicans to explain to me why voting democrat only is so good for black people. If a ? choosing and she ask you to tell why she should choose you. You going to only speak down about the next man or just speak about all the great ? you bring to the table?

The same people who always select the president not the american people.

Said by a president you can keep believing you have an actual say so though.
    CRgiO70VAAEtAwV.jpg

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Screen-Shot-2017-12-18-at-6.35.58-PM.png

9fse28wya8fm.gif

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/restaurant-owner-apologizes-for-trump-jr-ted-cruz-obama-cake-photo
    Restaurant Owner Apologizes For Trump Jr.’s Photo With Ted Cruz, Obama ‘Cake’ – Talking Points Memo
    Dec 17, 2017 at 5:00pm PST
    The owner of a Dallas restaurant on Monday apologized after Donald Trump Jr. and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) celebrated a birthday at the restaurant with “an Obama cake” he said was not created by the restaurant.

Trump Jr. on Sunday posted photographs of himself and Cruz at the restaurant with a dessert resembling a cookie cake that featured a vague depiction of former President Barack Obama. He described the creation as “an early 40th birthday cake” given to him by “some good friends.”

In a statement, Stephan Courseau, the owner of Le Bilboquet Dallas, apologized for “the unfortunate circumstances” and called it “distasteful.”

“This morning a lot of you have been shocked and appalled to hear that Donald Trump Jr. and Ted Cruz celebrated a birthday of a friend at Le Bilboquet with a cake with our former president Barack Obama’s face on it,” Courseau said. “Let me be clear, I share your indignation without any reservation.”

He said Trump Jr. and Cruz “were attending a birthday celebration of one of our regular patrons who rented out our venue for a private event.”

“The party was not for either one of them nor was it any kind of partisan rally,” Courseau said. “Someone that attended the party brought in an outside cake for Donald Trump Jr.’s upcoming birthday and we are not sure who that was.”

Courseau said he was not working on Sunday “and could not intervene in the unfortunate circumstances that unfolded.”

“I believe I owe you an explanation and an apology,” he said. “We at Le Bilboquet feel betrayed and sad.”

Courseau said that the restaurant’s “friends and patrons represent a wide spectrum of American beliefs including: Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.”

“The fact that guests decided to use our restaurant as a platform to promote, disrespect, and spread hatred goes against everything we stand for,” he said. “I am truly sorry that such distasteful events happened at our venue and that these circumstances brought me to write this statement today.”

Corseau posted the statement on Instagram. Though the post is no longer available, D Magazine published its contents.

Courseau was not immediately available in response to TPM’s request for comment.
  • stringer bell
    Options
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rinse, Repeat

why are we waiting on the state tho?

i bet at least 5 ? who live close got a car worth over $40k and those cribs are about $10k.

stop waiting on the state or govt
    stop looking like a million when we got a few thousand
    we can take the hood back.....? just dont want to cause it dont bring the ? .

but when them hipsters come in...then ? wanna scream gentrification from their passing audi

True - agree, but dont absolve government of their responsibility either, Flint gonna need tens or hundreds of millions to fix the lead pipes
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think that we have been to comfortable with the status quo. We believe the dems when they say they will help our communities when they get into office. The problem is that when they don't keep their promise, we just say "oh well, maybe next time". All of the other groups would be right at city hall or the state capital and let their voices be heard.

I think a lot of times we just vote Democrat and then hope for the best.
    We don't hold them to the fire while they're still in office.... unless its Obama.

I can't recall a time in my brief life history where we kept the same energy before and after an election.

When Obama was in Office.. The LGBTQ community was in his ? ... pause. They
    also had specific grievances involving the military and equal employment ect.

Brothers/sisters be tired, but we gotta keep up the momentum. Doug Jones got 2 years to initiate some effort in those forgotten communities full of black people ... But again, its not a one sided action plan.

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/white-house-blames-media-for-trump-low-approval-ratings
    WH Blames ‘Negative Coverage’ For Trump’s Rock-Bottom Approval Ratings – Talking Points Memo\

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Tuesday blamed the media’s focus on “negative coverage” for President Donald Trump’s poor approval rating, which is at a historic low for the December of a President’s first term.

“While the President and this administration has been very focused on how we can better help the American people, I think oftentimes the media is focused on other things,” Sanders said at her daily briefing.

She claimed that “90 percent of the coverage” about Trump “is negative” and claimed the media is “certainly not talking about the growing economy, certainly not talking about the crushing of ISIS, not talking about the creation of jobs.”

“If people were focused a lot more on those things in the media, I think that his numbers would be a lot higher,” Sanders said. “We anticipate that they’re going to go up as more and more of these things continue to happen.”

rtgyhsw9wjrw.gif
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    37% though. That's got to sting. This is someone who desperately wants to be universally loved.

None of the last 5 US prez' went beneath 49% at this point in their runs. With both Bushes having the highest approval ratings in the 70s and 80s.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    37% though. That's got to sting to someone who wants to be universally loved.

None of the last 5 US prez' went beneath 49% at this point with both Bushes having the highest approval ratings in the 70s and 80s at this point in their runs.

He has a ? approval rating even with a good economy ,imagine if he became President in 2009 during the Great Recession where his approval rating would be.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Trump stays, the dems will control 60% after the 2018 election.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Today’s Impeach-O-Meter: Christie Endorses Mueller to Annoy Kushner

"As I've said (Bob Mueller) is an honest guy. I believe he will do an honest, fair investigation" - Chris Christie tells

Christie: Jared Kushner deserves law enforcement scrutiny "because he was involved in meetings that call into question his role."

He was almost Trump’s running mate, almost in charge of the presidential transition, almost not the most unpopular governor in the history of governing … he was almost a lot of things. One thing he didn’t almost do, though, was put Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner’s father Charles in jail when Christie was a U.S. attorney and Charles hired a prostitute to seduce his brother-in-law for the purposes of blackmail. Chris Christie definitely did do that, which is likely part of why he never seems to get those choice gigs with the administration that Jared Kushner now works for. And also why he, unlike a lot of other pro-Trump Republicans these days, seems to think Robert Mueller is doing a great job investigating certain high-level administration figures:
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some Connecticut parents reportedly pulled their kids out of school after first daughter and presidential adviser Ivanka Trump made a surprise visit.

Trump on Monday spoke to high school students at the Norwalk Early College Academy, a program at Norwalk High School that allows students to earn a high school diploma and associate's degree in software engineering.
    The visit was kept quiet due to security concerns, according to New Jersey's News 12, which reported that parents who opposed the president's views were upset that they did not know about the visit.

"This should have been brought to our attention, although I do understand security reasons," parent Karey Fitzgerald told News 12. "I think we should have had the choice to send our child to school or keep them home."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/angry-parents-pull-kids-from-class-over-ivanka-trump-visit/ar-BBH2yT2?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Weird and very scary ? . That's a powerful weapon.
    weirdest part at this late date remains "how the ? has no one figured out what's going on with those injuries yet"

• janklow
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Sen Franken is done, Kirsten Gillibrand really wants the throne.

? Gillibrand on multiple levels

• janklow
    Options
    mc317 wrote: »
    GOP Bill allows those with Gun Permits to carry in other states.
    https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/house-passes-gop-bill-allowing-concealed-carry-across-state-lines/
    if we can get some legislation that allows me carry in this state with an out-of-state permit, i will give the Republicans credit for doing one thing for me

*waits here while this never actually happens*

• janklow
    Options
    democrats needs to chill and let mueller do his job
    been saying this

• janklow
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the direction the Democratic Party is on. Running off Conyers and Al Franken? Those are, excuse me were, two true blue guaranteed votes the party desperately needed. Now those seats could very well go to the republicans.
    ...if you think Conyers' seat is going to a Republican, i am not sure how deeply you've looked into this issue

• janklow
    Options
    Its funny to me that all these Moral Democrats swore by Bill Clinton but now all of a sudden they are puritanical.
    of course, it's not exactly a principled moral stand when they throw Clinton under the bus... almost 20 years after his second term ended

• janklow
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    serious question: what is this supposed to mean? like... is she going to break into the White House and whip his ass?

...it'd be funny, but i just want a translation of this tweet

• janklow
    Options
    Dina Powell also lowkey leaving that ? in January.
    disappointing as she's at least competent

• janklow
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-atl3-1.? .fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25299216_1939268556324503_60351742650923080_n.jpg?oh=b1454f731d0ee05dc89a88dfa44ee249&oe=5ACADB62[/img]
    ...what is wrong with pumpkin pie