Comments

• ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    So the IC went from saying mixed people aren't black to saying a person with a Dominican father and Puerto Rican mother is?

You do know that Dominicans and Puerto Ricans can be black?

Do you?

They can be but don't most Dominican not identify as black and also I don't consider them black cuz they can play both sides of the fence, thats why she can say people of color dont exist then turn around and say she is a black woman when it benefits her

And people think I'm lying when I say black latinos don't get told the bold

That's cuz they say things like people of color don't exist
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    MD_PROPER wrote: »
    Danai Gurira would have been a better choice for this role. She can act and has features similar to Nina Simone

20130718201621!Danai-gurira.jpg
    4e9ca969d4b84fe97bd53e0a7784e0b7.jpg?itok=4KfocFgS
    1361465825nina-simone.jpg

Never heard of her.

Zoe got star power to put people in the seats

Oh u mean the movie gotta make money too?

200w.gif

Internet activism does not have a budget. We operate in a bubble off pure vigor and imagination jack
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

This some crab ? , cause let's say, this movie turns out to be a big hit, now the estate is looking stupid.
    Plus im sure the estate knew about all this before the trailer came out.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    Danai Gurira would have been a better choice for this role. She can act and has features similar to Nina Simone

Never heard of her.

200w.gif

Internet activism does not have a budget. We operate in a bubble off pure vigor and imagination jack

This is a biopic genius. The Ppl who are interested in this movie are gonna wanna see it because of Nina Simone ....not Zoe Saldanna...
    Example. who the ? were the five ? in the NWA movie? what block busters where they apart of before the NWA movie???
    Yet, The NWA movie still did over 200mill...

When it come to biopics... its the person that's being depicted that drives the movie, not the actor.

Lol at comparing a movie about current pop culture icons like Ice Cube, Dr Dre, & Eazy E (90s)

To Nina Simone who hasnt been mainstream famous since the 60s

Big leap there

In 2016 Zoe Saldana is more relevant than Nina... like it or not
  • 25centsandwich
    25centsandwich Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This is like the OJ/Cuba casting...but worse because you can see all the makeup...

At this pont you really have to suspend belief that saldana can pull off nina simone...

I agree with someone here who said that tachina arnold wouldve been a better choice...she's more experienced and highly popular with black moviegoers...

But you know how hollywood is...always trying to appease to the white audience by retreading the same few black actors...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    soul-man-1-1_8col.jpg

Look like MJ in his Off The Wall days. ..
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

This some crab ? , cause let's say, this movie turns out to be a big hit, now the estate is looking stupid.
    Plus im sure the estate knew about all this before the trailer came out.

Nina Simone's family has been against this from the beginning since the movie was announced in 2012. Their biggest problem isn't even with Saldana being cast it's the writers turning Nina Simone's relationship with her best friend, who was ? , into a love story as if she was some love struck puppy sad she couldn't be with her "soul mate"
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michonne could have played her
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actors who play biopics hardly ever look like the characters they portray but this case here is just unacceptable; they darken her skin and give her a fake nose. .. why go to all those lengths?

Plus Saldana has never struck me as a talented actress. Her film roles or films are always instantly forgettable
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole thing about Zoe didn't bother me i didnt care. But when i seen the trailer all i could do was laugh. It was horrible
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what does @obnoxiouslyfresh think of all this
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The trailer is atrocious. She looks like an SNL character. As I said in another post there is an alternative available on Netflix complete with a soundtrack. It was also backed and supported by Nina's family and Estate. "What Happened to Miss Simone?"
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never heard of her.

She's playing Tupac's mother in the biopic...Mischonne from walking dead

I dont watch zombie shows

She not big enough to headline a major motion picture

Yes she is u bugging she stars in one of the most popular shows on the dam planet

That show has a totally different audience bruh.

It's a soap opera zombie show there's no niche audience to that
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never heard of her.

Yes she is u bugging she stars in one of the most popular shows on the dam planet

Never seen it

Looks wack

Dosent make it less popular
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They better choices to cast than Zoe. I think Anika Noni Rose would have been perfect because of her skill set. The casting decision distracts from the legacy of Nina.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never heard of her.

That show has a totally different audience bruh.

It's a soap opera zombie show there's no niche audience to that

Lawd. You serious?
  • S2J
    Options

Never heard of her.

200w.gif

This is a biopic genius. The Ppl who are interested in this movie are gonna wanna see it because of Nina Simone ....not Zoe Saldanna...
    Example. who the ? were the five ? in the NWA movie? what block busters where they apart of before the NWA movie???

When it come to biopics... its the person that's being depicted that drives the movie, not the actor.

The analogy of the duck swimming comes to mind. ..

You see that movie just magically pop up at your theatre, what you dont see is the haggling for funding and the need for return on investment. That a lot of movies dont wvn make it to theatres. The people funding it want names, b

You'll notice Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller, or in Notorious Angela Bassett as Voletta, Derek Luke as Puff

They not gon purely cast for accuracy. They gon always have established names bc this is a business, they not doin it for their health

And NWA vs Nina Simone is a no-go comparison- wise. NWA has a more movie friendly story.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So many words.

Anally.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Never heard of her.

200w.gif

The analogy of the duck swimming comes to mind. ..

You see that movie just magically pop up at your theatre, what you dont see is the haggling for funding and the need for return on investment. That a lot of movies dont wvn make it to theatres. The people funding it want names, b

You'll notice Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller, or in Notorious Angela Bassett as Voletta, Derek Luke as Puff

They not gon purely cast for accuracy. They gon always have established names bc this is a business, they not doin it for their health

And NWA vs Nina Simone is a no-go comparison- wise. NWA has a more movie friendly story.

I agree 100%. But to the point you have to put a woman in Black Face is overkill. I think as stated there were better choices that would have commanded the same box office draw. While Zoe has had roles in Blockbusters she isn't exactly a huge block buster draw on her own.
  • S2J
    Options
    I agree, the blackface is ridiculous
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope for zoe's sake that the story is compelling and that she portrays nina above and beyond her perceived acting capabilities, otherwise she'll probably never be able to live this down.

On another note, given all the Oscars diversity controversy I'd expect there to be a lot more focus by voters to watch more movies with black actors, so I hope there's more black acting performances on display between now and the end of the year otherwise don't be surprised come "Oscar nominations season" this movie might sneak into the discussion "just because".
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    I was riding for Zoe to pull this off. But word is bond. I am completely thrown off by the blackface. That ? is nuts. They could have made a CGI of Nina if, the make up job was going to be that pronounced, and amateurish.