What is the best way to find a new job?

Options

Comments

• SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, it's been a year and two months since I graduated and I still don't have a job in my field. I really think it has a lot to do with my location. CT is not the place for someone with a journalism degree. I have been looking real hard as well. I have had a few interviews but still no luck. Any suggestions?
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    How important are Reference's on apps?

My old boss is gone...one my supervisor still works

I was thinkn about bs...n having my fam member act like a old boss...

Folks do check them but I never put any down. Many places just verify work history anyway since references can be fabricated
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SimplyKrys wrote: »
    Well, it's been a year and two months since I graduated and I still don't have a job in my field. I really think it has a lot to do with my location. CT is not the place for someone with a journalism degree. I have been looking real hard as well. I have had a few interviews but still no luck. Any suggestions?

Yea, you're going to have to start looking elsewhere. I assume you have a job, just not in your field. If you haven't started, then start stacking up some bread. You're probably going to have to make a big move soon. Good luck on your search, and don't get discouraged.
  • AggieLean.
    Options
    How important are Reference's on apps?

My old boss is gone...one my supervisor still works

I was thinkn about bs...n having my fam member act like a old boss...
    In my experiences, they never really called. I've only had one prospective company ever call my references. Who knows, though. If you're going to do the fam thing, then def make sure they're aware.
  • SimplyKrys
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »

Yea, you're going to have to start looking elsewhere. I assume you have a job, just not in your field. If you haven't started, then start stacking up some bread. You're probably going to have to make a big move soon. Good luck on your search, and don't get discouraged.

I have been looking for jobs in NY but I still have not had an interview there yet. I have been saving to move out for a while. If I could I would move Manhattan but it's way too much money to live there. I hope I can get a job without having to move. I currently work part time.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just got fired from my job today for using profane language threatening a coworker. Guess that company coming off the resume

Wtf bruh drop story
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got turned down for a job I was a shoe in for yesterday. ? messed up my whole aura
    next month makes 1 year.......
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Just got fired from my job today for using profane language threatening a coworker. Guess that company coming off the resume

Wtf bruh drop story

nothing major....just me having another case of the terrible thirties.....I was trying to leave this joint anyway, but you know its always better to have a job while you looking for the one you want....only thing is The benefits and pay were pretty good....Im not betting on finding anything comparable anytime soon.

anyway been spending the last 4 hours looking for something new.....

already did an interview and got a background authorization from one company but aint nothing guaranteed.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Got turned down for a job I was a shoe in for yesterday. ? messed up my whole aura

dont trip homie. the same thing happened to me a few months ago and i had an inside connect. they were only hiring for one position and someone else got it. i was qualified as ? and my connect was a manager who was deeply involved in the hiring process. i was bummed the ? out when i was told they went with someone else. it took me about a week to get over that ? . the day that i forced myself to get over that ? hr called out of the blue and told me they created another position and asked if i would accept it. they hired an internal candidate and were scared that i had accepted another job. i accepted their offer and got my ass back to work.

put it behind you and KEEP GRINDING!!!!!! keep applying, improve your resume, stay prayed up and KEEP GRINDING!!! if i can bounce back you can to.
  • texas409
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »

dont trip homie. the same thing happened to me a few months ago and i had an inside connect. they were only hiring for one position and someone else got it. i was qualified as ? and my connect was a manager who was deeply involved in the hiring process. i was bummed the ? out when i was told they went with someone else. it took me about a week to get over that ? . the day that i forced myself to get over that ? hr called out of the blue and told me they created another position and asked if i would accept it. they hired an internal candidate and were scared that i had accepted another job. i accepted their offer and got my ass back to work.

put it behind you and KEEP GRINDING!!!!!! keep applying, improve your resume, stay prayed up and KEEP GRINDING!!! if i can bounce back you can to.

my ? !
  • Max.
    Options
    Idk if i told story i had interview last year (i have alot of tattoos so u know how jobs act) so he asks me where do i see myself in 5 years? I said with hard work hopefully moving up...idk but i feel like that killed it

The dude he ended up hiring 6 weeks later got flagged by a cop drove off fast on high speed chase n killed himself in a car wreck

I have a interview in a few hours (diff place) so if u end up getn the job ima go up to first place with a big ass smile on my face n laugh at the manager
  • texas409
    Options
    yea man alot of times these companies pick the bad apples over the good one in the hiring process. You would be surprised how incompetent most HR folks are
  • texas409
    Options
    Im convinced that employers are starting to run unofficial background checks on potential employees before they even offer folks jobs. They run names through databases and even call folks off record to get any info they need to not hire people
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Im convinced that employers are starting to run unofficial background checks on potential employees before they even offer folks jobs. They run names through databases and even call folks off record to get any info they need to not hire people

you gotta keep applying and maybe humble yourself a little. the first thing I did when I my manager called me and told me I was officially fired was start calling temp agencies. I aint gonna make what I was making with them no, but the bills still gotta get paid. Apply in volume. The odds will be in your favor, trust me. Already did 3 interviews...the odds are pointing to me having to tell some people thanks but no thanks.
  • whatevathehell
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Doing all these apps and interviews and ain't nothing hitting...yet...I'm going to take a break from the job search...ride up to the old job and beat my ex-coworker ass. Them hoes snatched my last paycheck cuz of unearned vacation....he gotta get the beats... and management too.
  • texas409
    Options
    Doing all these apps and interviews and ain't nothing hitting...yet...I'm going to take a break from the job search...ride up to the old job and beat my ex-coworker ass. Them hoes snatched my last paycheck cuz of unearned vacation....he gotta get the beats... and management too.

man dont start tripping yet try going months without work then talk to me lol
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One HR actually tried to find my social media accounts to justify something was wrong about me since I'm black and I interviewed well.

I'm actually happy I didn't get that job.

Btw I start tomorrow at Morehouse as a office manager. My intentions with this position is to grow and groom my resume and pick up job duties and skills in their IT department, and work there longer then a year so I can finish my degree there for free (faculty don't have to pay the 35k tutition) also I'm gonna pick up my cert. In A+ while I'm there.

That way in about two years, I'll have my bachelor's in MIS, some certs. And most importantly some office and IT experience which will launch me to a real job. That way future HRs will have no excuse not to hire me haha.
  • AggieLean.
    Options
    GOAT for getting on at Morehouse. Didn't go there, but my best friend graduated from there and I work alongside a few Morehouse men. Great institution. Big ups to you brotha @silverfoxx
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT for getting on at Morehouse. Didn't go there, but my best friend graduated from there and I work alongside a few Morehouse men. Great institution. Big ups to you brotha @silverfoxx

Thanks fam! It must mean alot man because no disrespect but alot of people been big upping me on aquiring the position, although I thought It was just another job, but the more I learn about the networking capabilities and future opportunities and just the brotherhood I feel hella blessed, even if the pay is not a1 the long term implacation is very fruitful.
  • AggieLean.
    Options

I have been looking for jobs in NY but I still have not had an interview there yet. I have been saving to move out for a while. If I could I would move Manhattan but it's way too much money to live there. I hope I can get a job without having to move. I currently work part time.

I know your degree is in journalism & mass communication, but have you ever thought of working at a bank? I gotta homie I went to school with who majored in that field, and now he's a regional manager for a bank. I know it's not in your field per se, but it's going to be hard to find something in that field. Just throwing out suggestions.
  • SimplyKrys
    Options

I know your degree is in journalism & mass communication, but have you ever thought of working at a bank? I gotta homie I went to school with who majored in that field, and now he's a regional manager for a bank. I know it's not in your field per se, but it's going to be hard to find something in that field. Just throwing out suggestions.

Thank you for the suggestion. You're not the first person to tell me to try a bank. At this point I will try almost anything that is full time with benefits.
  • AggieLean.
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion. You're not the first person to tell me to try a bank. At this point I will try almost anything that is full time with benefits.

You've got that and you could possibly try to get on with Human Resources. Just tryna help ya out.
  • whatevathehell
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Start my ? new job Monday...at least I stopped the drain on my savings..I got to find a better paying job quick though
  • Max.
    Options
    Got a new job...supervisor is cool dude

I was shook it was gona be sum old angry dude