The Official "Espn First Take , FS1 Undisputed, Sportscenter , Sports Radio, Podcasts etc" Thread.

Options

Comments

• the ghost
    the ghost Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Honkie had the nerve to say ''yes i can do that i just did and let's get back on topic.''

Man i would've gave that honkie the business somethin serious like he was my son that brought home a bad grade.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/vin-scully-nfl-player-protests-will-never-watch-another-nfl-game.html
    Vin Scully on NFL player protests: ‘I will never watch another NFL game’

Legendary baseball broadcaster Vin Scully was the attraction Saturday night at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium, as part of the venue’s Distinguished Speaker Series. During An Evening with Vin Scully, the longtime voice of the Los Angeles Dodgers shared stories and experiences from his 67 years of calling games for the team.

But a remark Scully made toward the end of the event is currently drawing attention in regards to current events. The Q&A discussion turned to the issue of player protests during the national anthem, something that has dominated sports discussion for the past couple of months, especially since Donald Trump criticized NFL players for kneeling during the anthem.

Scully has long been one of the most thoughtful, reasoned voices in sports broadcasting during his career, often taking the opportunity to lend perspective to issues and sharing historical lessons to audiences who could learn (or be reminded) from what he said on Dodgers broadcasts.

That was the case when Scully commented on player protests, though what he ultimately said might surprise many people. Naturally, that depends on which side you’ve taken in the debate over these protests. Scully said “I will never watch another NFL game again” because of this. Here is video of the remarks:

“I am so disappointed. And I used to love, during the fall and winter, to watch the NFL on Sunday,” said Scully. “It’s not that I’m some great patriot. I was in the Navy for a year, didn’t go anywhere, didn’t do anything. But I have overwhelming respect and admiration for anyone who puts on a uniform and goes to war.

“So the only thing I can do in my little way is not to preach. I will never watch another NFL game.”

As NFL reporter Ed Werder points out, that sentiment coming from someone as renowned and respected as Scully isn’t good for the league. Nor is the enthusiastic reaction from the audience after Scully said he’d never watch another NFL game again. (Not to mention this is circulating as Sunday’s Week 9 games are about to begin.) But as Scully explained it, this isn’t an impulsive response from him. His service and feelings about those who serve in the military inform his feelings on the subject.

Plenty of people will respond to Scully’s remarks by saying that the NFL player protests, in addition to demonstrations by athletes across sports, aren’t about the American flag or views toward the military. Beginning with Colin Kaepernick, the protests are intended to draw attention to racial inequality, especially within the criminal justice system in regards to police brutality toward black people in this country.

Others will also mention that Scully was the longtime voice of the Dodgers, who made one of history’s greatest statements against racial injustice and inequality by being the first major league team to sign a black player in Jackie Robinson. How would Robinson feel about these player protests? How might he respond to how Scully has chosen to frame the issue in his view?

Or perhaps he has taken Robinson into consideration and doesn’t believe that what current NFL players are protesting doesn’t compare to what the Dodgers great experienced in his time.

Some will surely be disappointed by Scully’s remarks, believing that someone who has been a voice of reason for decades, is taking what many will view as the wrong side in this debate. But it’s become clear that many others perceive kneeling during the national anthem as a show of disrespect for the American flag — a symbol they love and cherish — and our troops. Even an association with the NFL is enough to stir up feelings among those who are offended and outraged.
  • stringer bell
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.mediaite.com/online/sports-radio-host-craig-carton-speaks-out-after-being-charged-in-ponzi-scheme-it-is-killing-me/
    Sports Radio Host Craig Carton Speaks Out After Being Charged in Ponzi Scheme: ‘It is Killing Me’

Apart from a brief statement issued shortly after his arrest, Craig Carton — a prominent New York-based sports talk host — had yet to speak out after being brought up on Federal charges in connection with a Ponzi scheme.

But now, the host is opening up for the first time since his arrest. In an interview with USA Today, Carton talked about his experiences at the center of a Federal probe.

“It is killing me,” Carton said. “I made my living speaking and being opinionated on whatever it was I was speaking about. Now I am the focus of that. I am the subject that people are talking about. It is extraordinarily frustrating. It is maddening.”

Carton has been charged with one count each of wire fraud, securities fraud, and conspiracy in connection with a ticket scam. In the alleged scheme, Carton and an alleged co-conspirator ripped off a hedge fund to the tune of nearly five million dollars by promising investors access to blocks of face value tickets for sought after events which could be resold at a premium. If convicted, the radio personality could face 45 years behind bars.

Beyond the pending criminal charges, Carton was forced to resign from his morning drive show on New York’s WFAN — which was also simulcast nationally on CBS Sports Network.

“I was employed for 10 years at my dream job. I have no income now,” Carton said. “My life is unfortunately kind of on hold. The last two months have been hell.”

There are still some people in his corner, though. Notably, Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) — a frequent guest co-host with Carton.

“I believe in Craig and I believe in his goodness as a person,” Christie said. “I asked him when this all broke to be honest with me and he said he has done nothing wrong and he is the victim here. Craig has never lied to me before and so if a friend of mine tells me they are being wronged and I believe them – and I do believe Craig – (then) friendship is not just for good times but for difficult times too. That’s when you need to stand up.”

x19f7ic9kvjh.gif
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://savannahnow.com/news/sports/2017-11-08/espn-s-sage-steele-talks-nfl-protests-importance-veterans-day-prior-parris
    ESPN’s Sage Steele talks NFL protests, importance of Veterans Day prior to Parris Island special

The military and sports have always shared a strong kinship, but those lines have blurred this football season in a way many haven’t seen before.

For “SportsCenter” anchor Sage Steele, whose father was the first African-American to play varsity football at West Point, there is no blur at all.

A lifelong dedication to the men and women in uniform is what makes heading to Parris Island on Friday to co-host a SportsCenter special for Veterans Day from the base so special to Steele, who will be joined by anchors Jay Harris and Randy Scott, who also come from military families.

“Reveille, retreat…when you hear any of those things, you could be driving in your car … if you heard that at any point in the day, you stop your car and you stand at attention,” Steele said. “You put your hand over your heart. It’s that simple.”

The clash between the perceived principles of patriotism and the duty of NFL players as Americans has been at the forefront of the sport since former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the national anthem to protest police brutality.

Steele said she respects the players’ right to protest, but she feels it could be done in a better manner.

“I have that right to disagree, number one, and number two, I want to show what I think is the appropriate way for me and for my children (to respect the anthem),” she added. “I think for a lot of us, we are protective in many ways of those who came before us and exactly what they sacrificed. So we have a lot of work to do in this country and it doesn’t matter what political affiliation you are.”

The special, which will feature pieces on service members and their association with the sports world, is something Steele cherishes every year.

“I almost feel like I’m right at home (doing the Veterans Day special). Being an army brat has made me who I am and so I get emotional (with) everything military that (ESPN) did…when we’re able to incorporate it into our shows…when I hear the national anthem at the beginning of any sporting event, I’m the one that gets choked up and stands at attention because I’ve never served. It’s such a huge part of my life.”

For the Parris Island visit, Steele said she hopes viewers will respond to the gravitas of both the day itself and the act of seeing the soldiers at the base. The line-up of guests and anchors all come from military families, including analysts Herm Edwards and Trevor Matich, which is something Steele said adds to the weight of celebrating this day amongst people who truly appreciate its importance.

“It really is only once a year that we get to blend in something, that maybe isn’t directly sports related, but is something that obviously ESPN has deemed a chief priority and I don’t know one person that disagrees with it.”

The Veterans Day special from Parris Island will air live on ESPN from 7 to 10 a.m. Friday
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope someone breaks his face that is the true face most damaging face or racism not hoods/bald heads and swatstikas
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max Kellerman actually saved it with a common sense response
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last show today for mike and mike.

Lol at golic new show on ESPN U. That's a huge loss
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-radio-shakes-up-lineup-adds-shows-hosted-by-will-cain-sarah-spain.html
    ESPN Radio shakes up lineup, adds shows hosted by Will Cain, Sarah Spain

With Mike & Mike” ending” and Bomani Jones asking out of his radio show, we knew a shakeup was coming on ESPN Radio. On Friday, ESPN announced its 2018 lineup, with Will Cain and Sarah Spain among the personalities to gain new shows and Stephen A. Smith gaining national distribution.

Here is what ESPN Radio will sound like beginning January 2 (all times Eastern):

4-6 a.m. — “First and Last” with Mike Golic Jr., which remains in its current slot.

6-10 a.m. — “Golic and Wingo” with Mike Golic and Trey Wingo, replacing “Mike & Mike,” in the same time slot.

10 a.m.-1 p.m. — “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz,” also remaining in its current slot

1-3 p.m. — “The Stephen A. Smith Show,” which was not previously distributed nationally

3-6 p.m. — “Russillo and Cain” with Ryen Russillo and Will Cain. Russillo has been hosting alone since Danny Kanell was laid off in April, while Cain has emerged as a frequent contributor on ESPN Radio and on ESPN’s “First Take.”

6-9 p.m. — “Spain and Fitz” with espnW’s Sarah Spain and SEC Network’s Jason Fitz, who previously hosted a weekend ESPN Radio show with Jordan Rodgers.

9 p.m.-1 a.m. — “Freddie and Fitzsimmons” with Freddie Coleman and Ian Fitzsimmons. This show previously aired from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. but is now getting an extra hour.

1 a.m.-4 a.m. — “SportsCenter All Night,” which currently airs from 2-4 a.m.

Here is how Jones and ESPN senior VP of audio Traug Keller explained the decision.

Podcasting is changing how audio is consumed, since the listener is more in charge than ever, and offering dynamic content is a smart way to grow our business and serve our listeners,” said Keller. “Bomani, whose trajectory continues to rise, brings a distinct voice to an audience looking for compelling discourse. He asked to move his show from radio to a podcast and we readily agreed. His thought-provoking and entertaining opinions will translate perfectly to our on-demand platform.”

Jones stated, “I couldn’t be more excited about moving exclusively to a podcast. As someone whose career began in the digital space, I can’t wait to fully explore what can be done there with an audio program. This podcast will be insightful, and I hope it will be as much fun to listen to as we’ll have putting it together

The Nolan podcast was first announced last week. That show will air weekly, while “Jalen & Jacoby’s” new show will be produced four or five times a week, ESPN said.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I listen to Right Time wth Bomani everyday.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Espn going full fox news with that one
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    Bomani jones radio show got axed?

White dolks wasnt ? with him at all....he lost over 90 affiliates and said to have the worse ratings in espn radio history. .not sure where they go next

His tv show with pablo is gonna be a major fail too

Yeah none of that is true. Never trust a tweet from Clay Travis @lamontbdc