Let's End The Debate: Kareem Abdul Jabbar vs Michael Jordan

Options

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The similarities between Red and Russ and Pop and Duncan is crazy, Pop and Duncan are literally a modern day Red and Russ
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    I can vaguely remember the early 80s. I grew up in Boston (Newton Centre, MA) so the Celtics were huge in the 80s. Little known fact; most Black people in Boston didn't like the Celtics in the 80s because they didn't have enough brothers on the team.

Anyway, from how I remember it, Kareem was a beast in the early 80s and they won a few championships. I think they won in 80, 82, 85, 87 and 88. Jabbar had his hands full guarding Daryl Dawkins, Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwan, Ralph Sampson, Robert Parish and John Salley. Toward the end of the 80s he wasn't a "beast" but he was still good for 10-15 points, rebounds and blocks.

What I'm saying is that I remember the second half of Kareem's career. I can remember Magic passing him the ball and he'd hit that skyhook like it was automatic.

Here's a short lil documentary about Kareem's skyhook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB8X101kME
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I can vaguely remember the early 80s. I grew up in Boston (Newton Centre, MA) so the Celtics were huge in the 80s. Little known fact; most Black people in Boston didn't like the Celtics in the 80s because they didn't have enough brothers on the team.

Anyway, from how I remember it, Kareem was a beast in the early 80s and they won a few championships. I think they won in 80, 82, 85, 87 and 88. Jabbar had his hands full guarding Daryl Dawkins, Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwan, Ralph Sampson, Robert Parish and John Salley. Toward the end of the 80s he wasn't a "beast" but he was still good for 10-15 points, rebounds and blocks.

What I'm saying is that I remember the second half of Kareem's career. I can remember Magic passing him the ball and he'd hit that skyhook like it was automatic.

Here's a short lil documentary about Kareem's skyhook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlB8X101kME

No one said he sucked bruh
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Kevin Garnett's best statistical season he averaged 24/14/5/1.5/2.2, Kevin Garnett's best season period he averaged 19/9/3.5/1.5/1.3 where he sacrificed stats for winning not because he fell off, he changed the whole culture of a franchise, led one of the great defensive teams of this generation and was the centerpiece to his one and only championship
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    i could only imagine had might not retired what his numbers wouldve looked like (injury free).

but even with those retirements ill still pick Mike
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Just to show a different perspective, because people saying Jordan are cherry picking stats, and acting like it's silly to pick Kareem as if, people that have elite knowledge of the game don't also think Kareem is the greatest.

Isiah Thomas:

“If they say the numbers don’t lie, then Kareem is the greatest ever to play the game,” Thomas said. “And I’m a big proponent of that. … No disrespect to Jordan, but he won in the ’90s. And if the ’80s are the golden era, then the person who dominated the NBA in the ’80s and the ’70s was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.”

Julius Erving:

” For him to that (being the best ever). for me, he (Lebron) has to surpass Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. He is the best to ever play the game”.

Gary Payton doesn't even have Jordan in his top 5. See video below.

https://youtu.be/JJn5MEZ_zUg

Bill Walton – Kareem Abdul Jabbar

“Without question, no hesitation, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was the best player I ever played against. Not just the best center, he was the best player, period. He was better than Magic (Johnson), better than Larry, better than Michael (Jordan). He was my source of motivation. Everything I did was to try to beat this guy. I lived to play against him, and I played my best ball against him. No matter what I threw at him, though, it seemed like he’d score 50 against me. His left leg belongs in the Smithsonian. And it wasn’t just offense. He was a great defender and rebounder, a great passer, a wonderful leader. He was phenomenal.”
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    1 ring before Magic

Hell he didn't even finish out one series they one.

That same team went the finals without him

Missed playoffs played on losing team

Played more years

Jordan average more PPG and have better accolades. I don't see why Jordan is not better
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    1 ring before Magic

Played more years

Jordan average more PPG and have better accolades. I don't see why Jordan is not better

bolded happened to Jordan too, he wasnt in the playoffs every year and he was also on losing teams

and you need to go check the stats of the finals series where he missed game 6, even without playing he was still robbed of finals MVP, they gave it to magic cuz he had that great clinching game.
    the players on the 76ers will tell you who the Best player was, just as NothingButTheTruth posted above!!
    i trust hall of famers over sheep who follow the media loving ? !

like i said ........... Magic was a media darling

the 1980 finals was a prime example

Kareem numbers - 33ppg 14reb. 4.6 blocks

Magic 21ppg and 11ast

but Kareem was carried in his chips that Magic won finals MVP? cmon now

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ Kareem having his hands full guarding Dawkins. Gtfoh. Dawkins held Philly back if anything. Lakers wanted him to shoot.

Goes back to lurking.
  • O.G.
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Btw those Lakers teams with Kareem before Magic was full of selfish unmotivated players. They use to always say when is Kareem gonna get help.
    Paul Westhead was a weak coach. Players did not respect him. Reason number 1 why Riley was hired in the first place.

Goes back to lurking.
  • its....JOHN B
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Bill Walton's opinion matters now? Isiah and Payton hmm I wonder why they wouldn't have Jordan as the greatest or even rank him, I won't even start posting all the players who consider Jordan the goat that ? will take too much time and again would be a lopsided victory
  • O.G.
    Options
    IMO Kareem had the better career bcuz you have to include his dominance in high school and college. He was the main focus in three different dynasties. ( Power Memorial Academy,UCLA, Lakers) Jordan was the better player bcuz he impacted his team more. If MJ had a good game the Bulls usually won. It's that simple. His heart, work ethic and clutch performances is on some level 10 ? . He worked his ass off to get to that level of dominance. Kareem was able to dominate bcuz of his size mostly. Especially in high school and college. Not that it is a knock against him. While MJ was just more talented and skilled than his competition.

5 seconds on the clock. Are you gonna pass to Kareem or are you gonna let MJ take the shot?
    Houston Mitchell of The Los Angeles Times researched the number of game-winning shots that Jordan had made in his NBA career. Mitchell discovered that Jordan had made 22 game-winners, and add three more from '97-98 -- culminating with his championship-winner in Game 6 of the Finals -- for a total of 25. Twenty-four were in the last 10 seconds of games (one was with 22 seconds left) and eight were at the buzzer. And those are only the NBA game-winning shots -- the list does not include Jordan's 16-foot jumper with 15 seconds left in North Carolina's 63-62 victory over Georgetown in the 1982 NCAA championship game.

Also not included is his games with the Wizards. And also ? him for that shot against Georgetown.

MJ is the goat player.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    O.G. wrote: »
    Lol @ Kareem having his hands full guarding Dawkins. Gtfoh. Dawkins held Philly back if anything. Lakers wanted him to shoot.

Goes back to lurking.

Well Darryl Dawkins wasn't much of a scorer, but he used to break backboards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJawsitMsA

Personally I'd be scared to guard him.
  • O.G.
    Options

Goes back to lurking.

Don't blink!!!
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options

Goes back to lurking.

Lol.

Are you in the conversation for the Greatest Basketball Player of All Time?

Point seems kind of moot
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO Kareem had the better career bcuz you have to include his dominance in high school and college. He was the main focus in three different dynasties. ( Power Memorial Academy,UCLA, Lakers) Jordan was the better player bcuz he impacted his team more. If MJ had a good game the Bulls usually won. It's that simple. His heart, work ethic and clutch performances is on some level 10 ? . He worked his ass off to get to that level of dominance. Kareem was able to dominate bcuz of his size mostly. Especially in high school and college. Not that it is a knock against him. While MJ was just more talented and skilled than his competition.

5 seconds on the clock. Are you gonna pass to Kareem or are you gonna let MJ take the shot?
    Houston Mitchell of The Los Angeles Times researched the number of game-winning shots that Jordan had made in his NBA career. Mitchell discovered that Jordan had made 22 game-winners, and add three more from '97-98 -- culminating with his championship-winner in Game 6 of the Finals -- for a total of 25. Twenty-four were in the last 10 seconds of games (one was with 22 seconds left) and eight were at the buzzer. And those are only the NBA game-winning shots -- the list does not include Jordan's 16-foot jumper with 15 seconds left in North Carolina's 63-62 victory over Georgetown in the 1982 NCAA championship game.

Also not included is his games with the Wizards. And also ? him for that shot against Georgetown.

MJ is the goat player.

/thread this cat old enough to see both play unlike these other dudes on here

And not one person in here made a case for kareem being better they mentioned the usual media,wheaties,nike marketing trash talking points and got sonned with facts
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    DaBull wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    1 ring before Magic

Played more years

bolded happened to Jordan too, he wasnt in the playoffs every year and he was also on losing teams

Jordan never missed the Playoffs with the Bulls.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Did Jordan only play for the bulls?

oh ok....
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    DaBull wrote: »
    Did Jordan only play for the bulls?

oh ok....

lol at nitpicking Jordan career with the Wizards to make a ? arguement. Even then Jordan on the Wizards was a better player than Kareem was at the end of his career.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both are in my top 3 along w/ the original MJ. To me it all comes down to generations and preferences. To say either doesn't have an argument for the number one spot is silly as hell to me.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's misleading to compare total career stats seeing as MJ only played 2/3 as many games as Kareem. It would also be misleading to post career averages since Kareem played well past his prime compared to Jordan who only had 2 years as a Wizard. I also love how that list left out Finals MVP's which MJ trumps Kareem 6-2.

That said, if anybody other than Jordan has a case to be the GOAT, it's Kareem.

i actually argue Magic..
    bein better AND greater..

but i digress..

I agree, but if you're talking career accomplishments it goes to Kareem. Kareem won a ring without Magic and twice as many MVPs. He's got as many rings and 1 more MVP than Jordan. Jordan has 1more ring and 2 more MVPs than Magic. And Kareem won more NCAA championships than Jordan and Magic combined.

Dog don't nobody care bout no college chips lol...the NBA stats Kareem got on MJ are irrelevant due to the position they played..of course Kareem is gonna have a better FG percentage, more rebounds and blocks than MJ he was a FREAKING CENTER LOL. The stats are also irrelevant bc Jordan took time off in his prime n could have stat stuffed during that time too. ..oh and one other thing for the thread starter

Y DID U LEAVE OUT FINALS MVP COMPARISONS? coincidence haha

• Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    All time playoff scoring Leader Michael Jordan

179 games - 5,987 points 33.4 ppg scoring average highest in nba history

FACTS: kobe(41 games),kareem(58 games),duncan(62 games) and shaq(37 games) all played way more playoff games than the GOAT and none of em have scored more than mike.That's when you elevate your game in the playoffs this thread got bodied wit facts.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

And not one person in here made a case for kareem being better they mentioned the usual media,wheaties,nike marketing trash talking points and got sonned with facts

Several points have been made for Kareem and no one is getting bodied with facts. You just keep ignoring them and only want to focus on Jordan's scoring and the media ? - and even then you keep minimizing the media stuff like it's not relevant. It's extremely relevant in addition to the numbers.

You could really use a course in media effects son. The Agenda Setting Theory, the Hypodermic Needle Theory, and the Spiral of Silence have all been heavily employed in the making and defending of Jordan as the GOAT.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

Several points have been made for Kareem and no one is getting bodied with facts. You just keep ignoring them and only want to focus on Jordan's scoring and the media ? - and even then you keep minimizing the media stuff like it's not relevant. It's extremely relevant in addition to the numbers.

You could really use a course in media effects son. The Agenda Setting Theory, the Hypodermic Needle Theory, and the Spiral of Silence have all been heavily employed in the making and defending of Jordan as the GOAT.
    billbored_zpsimrzq2oa.gif

I'm not quoting that wikipedia page you just posted.Magic was not a good defender he has no case whatsoever for being better than jordan NONE AT ALL.
    NO HE DID NOT. That's a media fairy tale. See my other posts about Pippen. TLDR version: Pippen's 94 Bulls only loss 2 more games without Jordan, had a higher defensive rating and everyone enjoyed a higher shooting percentage with Pippen distributing the ball more evenly and in a timely manner regarding time on the shot clock. Pippen made Pippen and won in the playoffs without Jordan.

Yes he did and stop mentioning the media I'm not impressionable and let whitey dictated media control my thoughts

I said this pages ago miss me wit that ? narrative

You = media,media,media,media

Me = talking about basketball accomplishments,skill and dominance.You sound like a broken record at this point