The First Ghostbusters (2016 Remake) Review Is Out... It Ain't Looking Good

Options

Comments

• BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Saw the full trailer when I went to see Civil War....

magicpass.gif

Bruh I saw the trailer before Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets...

Why they tryna give my toddler nightmares?
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It wasnt that bad lol
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll watch on kodi
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    So I just watched it. The first half of the movie I thought was pretty good. I really enjoyed it. The visuals, the dialogue, it had its cheesy moments but I thought it was good. It seemed to really come together.

The second half of the movie was like a big "wtf just happened" moment. It turned into a mix of a videogame, charlies angels, strange dialogue, sillyness and randomness. The visuals were good. But It was so random in some of those action scenes I was expecting Dom from fast and the furious to show up and be like " One last ride ladies, this is for family".

Overall I came in with moderate to low expectations and liked the first part of the movie. But I didnt enjoy the last half as it was just all over the place. I would've preferred a true sequel where the old ghostbusters pass off the torch to the new guys but it is what it is.

first half- 8.5 out of 10
    2nd half-4 out of 10

overall rating- 6.3

See a fair review
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The original 2 are way overrated anyway, all of u outraged nerds

...yep i said it
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I have to see this for my job today is the only reason im going.

Will see whats up in a few hours
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm looking forward to this, the outrage over it has been hilarious to me, I trust the talent involved enough for it to be at least passable.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    No way is the first Ghostbusters overrated. I still find new jokes in that ? to this day and I've watched it hundreds of times since the 80s. It's pretty flawless comedy. The second one was a retread and a poor xerox copy at points at that but everything Bill Murray does in it is ? gold.

"You're not gonna get a green card with that attitude pal."
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    No way is the first Ghostbusters overrated. I still find new jokes in that ? to this day and I've watched it hundreds of times since the 80s. It's pretty flawless comedy. The second one was a retread and a poor xerox copy at points at that but everything Bill Murray does in it is ? gold.

I didnt know ghostbusters 2 was considered a bad movie until everybody started saying it when the reboot came out. lol I still like watching the court room scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_th4Xe6Dsm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SdGNJGwOww
  • lazypakman
    Options

Do you think you at any point in the future will check out this new incarnation?

Or is the personal disdain just too much?
  • Broddie
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

Do you think you at any point in the future will check out this new incarnation?

Or is the personal disdain just too much?

I have no disdain for this movie. I even like the people involved with the right material (that Peanuts movie Feig produced was brilliant for example). I'm just indifferent towards it. It really doesn't look engaging or funny to me so I doubt that I'll ever see it tbh.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2016
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »

I didnt know ghostbusters 2 was considered a bad movie until everybody started saying it when the reboot came out. lol I still like watching the court room scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_th4Xe6Dsm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SdGNJGwOww

I always watch it if it's on. It's not that it's a bad movie per se just pretty lazy and uninspired. Which to it's credit is a problem with the majority of comedy sequels.

So compared to the original which fires on all cylinders and is very imaginative it comes up really short. But a lot of the jokes ("I think they're more interested in my epididymis") are very funny and like I said everything Venkman does is gold.

Compared to a lot of other comedies especially sequels from that era like Fletch Lives or Caddyshack II it's a masterpiece.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL it has a 74% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes but only a 51% from everyday people. Classic case of the liberal media championing it because it has a cast made up mostly of women, especially after the initial negative blowback it received.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    kx98wl1liu3b.png

Well that's not good
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I mean watch it First that's all I'm saying. I wish they didn't reboot it. That's all but I will check this movie out soon. I hate when people complain about them remaking classic movies but won't go see original movies like the Nice Guys, or Midnight Special. It's Hollywood they are in the business of making money. Even though this may not do great at the box office.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Just saw it.

It was cool. Funny how its gettin all the hate for a female cast and the worst part of the movie was Chris Hemsworth.

Its better than the OG. But since its a reboot it will never be seen that way.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Big Kola wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean watch it First that's all I'm saying. I wish they didn't reboot it. That's all but I will check this movie out soon. I hate when people complain about them remaking classic movies but won't go see original movies like the Nice Guys, or Midnight Special. It's Hollywood they are in the business of making money. Even though this may not do great at the box office.

As somebody who saw both The Nice Guys and Midnight Special in almost empty theaters I agree with that point. The original movies don't have 100 million dollar marketing budgets or crazy ass effects so that's one reason they get overlooked.

Still even then those that go by ? like Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb as a guideline have no excuse cause those 2 movies got solid ratings scores on both sites. So there really aren't any excuses.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The nice guys was funny as hell
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Just saw it.

It was cool. Funny how its gettin all the hate for a female cast and the worst part of the movie was Chris Hemsworth.

Its better than the OG. But since its a reboot it will never be seen that way.

You're on drugs
  • lazypakman
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    LOL it has a 74% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes but only a 51% from everyday people. Classic case of the liberal media championing it because it has a cast made up mostly of women, especially after the initial negative blowback it received.

Or its more likely rage clicking by those intent on smearing it's name?

People in the real world could care less about an RT or imdb rating.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Or its more likely rage clicking by those intent on smearing it's name?

People in the real world could care less about an RT or imdb rating.

What "real world" do you live in exactly? The majority of people I know use Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB.