The Official 2016/17 Football/Soccer Thread

Options

Comments

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one told me Yaya Toure had a trial with Arsenal.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mseries_ wrote: »
    I was born in 1985 so I kinda missed out on the Spurs glory days, Hoddle Waddle Ossie Ardiles, Ricky villa, I remember Gary Lineker before he bounced to Japan.......... GAZZA

Y'all must be getting sick of me on some " I remember way back when" ? I'm just tryna figure out the real from the fake.

It's mad popular for Yankee cats to rock soccer jerseys now and have no clue who plays for the club. Don't get me wrong I like seeing people wearing EPL Jerseys, but I remember seeing a dude with a Chelsea Jersey on and I was like congratulations, as they just won the champs league. An he was like

bz4dxu2il1p6.gif

Samething with this "United fan" at my work.

United is playing in the fa cup final - blank stare
    Congrats on winning the fa cup - blank stare
  • northside7
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »
    northside7 wrote: »
    Didier Drogba is to be picked for the MLS All-Stars game against Arsenal - Arsenal might as well just give up now.

He's old and washed up. Nothing to fear.

https://youtu.be/1AT5wAGxcDE

That activator juice he puts in his hair will keep him youthful and agile, just look how James Brown was moving deep into his 60's, might have to look into perming my hair and using activator juice.

Smh

Bro I'm assuming that nobody posting in the football forum was born before 1980, seeing as pretty much nobody has referenced a game or player before 1990, so you know yo gotta do what you gotta do to preserve your youthful appearance , aint nobody getting any younger in this ? .

Shots fired at the United fans on here.

I assumed bigev and Josh were the old heads on here. I doubt anyone is under 25.

Most of us United fans are always talking about our older legends like Best, Charlton, Edwards, Law, Robson, Whiteside, Stiles our great keeper Stepney etc I like to think we are especially appreciative of our past players due to the Munich air crash...
    IMO younger Arsenal fans are the ones that never talk about their pre 90s players...

@arsenal fans on here... who are your favourite pre 90s players???

This is why they need to show Arsene more love and respect. They dont talk about their pre Wenger era/players bcos they played some of the most negative, unattractive football in the league.

Now that Wenger has them playing "Beautiful football", and they like to look down and criticize others who dont, Wont make sense for them to bring up their "UGLY" past.

U know what, George Graham deserves more respect. Yes his teams played such defensive football, but that dude won trophies.

I could ? with graham because I love a defensive approach when it comes to sports. I'd rather ugly football that wins us games that'll win us major trophies.

Wenger gets love and respect up until 08. After that, foh.
  • northside7
    Options
    No one told me Yaya Toure had a trial with Arsenal.

Yup. Work permit issues.
  • northside7
    Options
    All I know is that 86 was a great year. 86ers are deep on here.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was born in 1985 so I kinda missed out on the Spurs glory days, Hoddle Waddle Ossie Ardiles, Ricky villa, I remember Gary Lineker before he bounced to Japan.......... GAZZA

Y'all must be getting sick of me on some " I remember way back when" ? I'm just tryna figure out the real from the fake.

It's mad popular for Yankee cats to rock soccer jerseys now and have no clue who plays for the club. Don't get me wrong I like seeing people wearing EPL Jerseys, but I remember seeing a dude with a Chelsea Jersey on and I was like congratulations, as they just won the champs league. An he was like

bz4dxu2il1p6.gif

I only remember the 90s too, never saw any 80s football that I remember... My earliest memories of watching football as a kid was 92ish, at about 5 or 6, but as a fan still got videos and schitt and researched history...
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    85 in the house.
  • water ur seeds
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Didier Drogba is to be picked for the MLS All-Stars game against Arsenal - Arsenal might as well just give up now.

That activator juice he puts in his hair will keep him youthful and agile, just look how James Brown was moving deep into his 60's, might have to look into perming my hair and using activator juice.

Smh

Bro I'm assuming that nobody posting in the football forum was born before 1980, seeing as pretty much nobody has referenced a game or player before 1990, so you know yo gotta do what you gotta do to preserve your youthful appearance , aint nobody getting any younger in this ? .

I assumed bigev and Josh were the old heads on here. I doubt anyone is under 25.

Most of us United fans are always talking about our older legends like Best, Charlton, Edwards, Law, Robson, Whiteside, Stiles our great keeper Stepney etc I like to think we are especially appreciative of our past players due to the Munich air crash...

IMO younger Arsenal fans are the ones that never talk about their pre 90s players...

Most of us? I may be wrong but I think you're the only that talks about those guys. And if we're talking offline? 95% of United fans don't speak about them. That includes people who are 40 and older.

Im the only United fan that talks about our past??? Nah, Im sure Ive seen DNB1 and Cellar talk about our past, especially paying tribute to Munich and Best & Charlton etc... And TRUST my United fans in my family talk about our past, and fans I chop it up with at work and in the gym etc especially old fans who watched us in the 70s and 80s...

Also every year most United fans pay tribute to the Munich players that past...
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 80s was our golden age. With Peter Reid, Andy Gray, and Lineker for a season. Don't think we'll get back to that era, but a couple of trophies would be nice.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    toheeb27 wrote: »

Smh

This is why they need to show Arsene more love and respect. They dont talk about their pre Wenger era/players bcos they played some of the most negative, unattractive football in the league.

Now that Wenger has them playing "Beautiful football", and they like to look down and criticize others who dont, Wont make sense for them to bring up their "UGLY" past.

U know what, George Graham deserves more respect. Yes his teams played such defensive football, but that dude won trophies.

Yeah I dont know much about Arsenals past, only players pre 90s players I know are Rocastle (rip), Brady, and their keeper Jennings... And most Arsenal fans I know dont really talk about their pre 90s as far I know... I may be wrong though...
  • s0j0urner
    s0j0urner Members Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A lotta the 80s black guys over here are Liverpool fans. My oldest brother and my dad support Liverpool. These ? been mad for so long lol who wudda thought the title you won in 90, is it?, would end up bein' your last for so long

Well, as frustrating as it is for us - we have won some major trophies since 1990. I have convinced my self that UEFA Champ Trophy >> EPL Trophy. It would be nice for Klopp to get us an EPL trophy.

Dude, late 80's Pool was packed with some legends; from Grobbelarr to Barnes to Rush - our playing style back then had so much fluidity.

I am not even past 31 and I remember this ? to a T.
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't even born when Liverpool last won the league. (Born 94). And I wasn't watching football like that till 2010. So I missed the famous CL win, years of Gerrard (prime) Michael Owen, Xabi Alonso etc and just started watching when Fernando Torres was leaving and Rafa was sacked. All I knew as a casual fan was Barcelona with Ronaldinho and of course the world cups. It also helped that NBC actually aired PL matches.

Still a work in progress as far as Football knowledge outside Liverpool and Barcelona are concerned. Oh and most of my friends who actually were huge football fans in high-school and middle school were Manchester United and Chelsea fans. But I didn't like them mofos lol.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And I plan on going to anfield soon. That's a must.
  • water ur seeds
    Options

Ive been in Anfield once and it was fckn amazing, the stands are like a half a meter away from the touch line, right on top of the pitch, so you can literally reach out and ? slap one of the subs warming up... Plus they did takeaway shepherds pie in when most clubs do a dodgy burger!!! haha
  • s0j0urner
    Options

Ive been in Anfield once and it was fckn amazing, the stands are like a half a meter away from the touch line, right on top of the pitch, so you can literally reach out and ? slap one of the subs warming up... Plus they did takeaway shepherds pie in when most clubs do a dodgy burger!!! haha

Lol at water and shepherd's pie

article-2222568-159F3645000005DC-418_634x412.jpg

It's like you only went to Anfield for the pies, this is the 4th time that you have mentioned Anfield pies, haha!

GOAT environment we have at Anfield btw!
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    s0j0urner wrote: »

Lol at water and shepherd's pie

article-2222568-159F3645000005DC-418_634x412.jpg

It's like you only went to Anfield for the pies, this is the 4th time that you have mentioned Anfield pies, haha!

GOAT environment we have at Anfield btw!

Haha daum, I tell everyone that story... I didnt know about the shepherds pie's before hand, but I would go back for them for sure!!! Fulham did good pies too, maybe I should do a pie review for each club I visit next season haha
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't even born when Liverpool last won the league. (Born 94). And I wasn't watching football like that till 2010. So I missed the famous CL win, years of Gerrard (prime) Michael Owen, Xabi Alonso etc and just started watching when Fernando Torres was leaving and Rafa was sacked. All I knew as a casual fan was Barcelona with Ronaldinho and of course the world cups. It also helped that NBC actually aired PL matches.

Still a work in progress as far as Football knowledge outside Liverpool and Barcelona are concerned. Oh and most of my friends who actually were huge football fans in high-school and middle school were Manchester United and Chelsea fans. But I didn't like them mofos lol.

You missed that GOAT ? how did you wind up a Pool fan?

I wish I was about on the IC durin' that Liverpool CL win lol wudda broke the thread
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    A lotta the 80s black guys over here are Liverpool fans. My oldest brother and my dad support Liverpool. These ? been mad for so long lol who wudda thought the title you won in 90, is it?, would end up bein' your last for so long

Well, as frustrating as it is for us - we have won some major trophies since 1990. I have convinced my self that UEFA Champ Trophy >> EPL Trophy. It would be nice for Klopp to get us an EPL trophy.

Dude, late 80's Pool was packed with some legends; from Grobbelarr to Barnes to Rush - our playing style back then had so much fluidity.

Lates 70s to early 90's Liverpool were mad dope, they'd have won more European competitions if English clubs weren't banned from them
  • s0j0urner
    Options

I wish I was about on the IC durin' that Liverpool CL win lol wudda broke the thread

Don't fight it Cellar, you are one of us. Your whole family is Pool; deep down - you're one too.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options

Don't fight it Cellar, you are one of us. Your whole family is Pool; deep down - you're one too.

Lol nah my Dad and older brothers are Pool fans, my third brother and only sister are Utd men/girl and the rest are Arsenal fans.

Happy to report that there isn't a single Spud in the family.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lates 70s to early 90's Liverpool were mad dope, they'd have won more European competitions if English clubs weren't banned from them

We would have too!!!