The Official 2016/17 Football/Soccer Thread

Options

Comments

• TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I wasn't even born when Liverpool last won the league. (Born 94). And I wasn't watching football like that till 2010. So I missed the famous CL win, years of Gerrard (prime) Michael Owen, Xabi Alonso etc and just started watching when Fernando Torres was leaving and Rafa was sacked. All I knew as a casual fan was Barcelona with Ronaldinho and of course the world cups. It also helped that NBC actually aired PL matches.

Still a work in progress as far as Football knowledge outside Liverpool and Barcelona are concerned. Oh and most of my friends who actually were huge football fans in high-school and middle school were Manchester United and Chelsea fans. But I didn't like them mofos lol.

You missed that GOAT ? how did you wind up a Pool fan?

I wish I was about on the IC durin' that Liverpool CL win lol wudda broke the thread

It's a bit anti climatic since im from the states and obviously PR but a friend back in middle school let me borrow FIFA 08. Loved the game and started buying FIFA every year (still do smh). Since my friends were PL fans I wanted to pick a side but not Arsenal, Utd or Chelsea. My favorite color is red. And on fifa out of the 4 1/2 star teams Liverpool caught my eye and I picked them. All the time. (Torres was a,? beast) Anyway they were and still are my fifa team. It wasn't until I heard the passionate YNWA live on YouTube in 2010 where it was a wrap.This was going to be my club in football. Watched every season since. Even researched their history and learned as many chants.

https://youtu.be/J6wRa8xLVcI

Although I missed the GOAT times of Liverpool such as the CL win and such, I did go through that incredible 2013-14 season (say what you want about the *slip* haha) and my mini instanbul Liverpool vs Dortmund Europa League. I'm absolutely sure they'll be more great times and moments, especially with Klopp.
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im probably the only one in my family that watches football too haha.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mseries_ wrote: »
    I was born in 1985 so I kinda missed out on the Spurs glory days, Hoddle Waddle Ossie Ardiles, Ricky villa, I remember Gary Lineker before he bounced to Japan.......... GAZZA

Y'all must be getting sick of me on some " I remember way back when" ? I'm just tryna figure out the real from the fake.

It's mad popular for Yankee cats to rock soccer jerseys now and have no clue who plays for the club. Don't get me wrong I like seeing people wearing EPL Jerseys, but I remember seeing a dude with a Chelsea Jersey on and I was like congratulations, as they just won the champs league. An he was like

bz4dxu2il1p6.gif

I feel the same way..I grew up playing soccer and me and boys used to be the only kids wearing sambas and jerseys as casual wear....:now everyone and they momma rocking Real Madrid and PSG shirts with joggers but can't name naaan player cept Messi or Ronaldo
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    93 checking in

Used to be a Barca and Milan fan ....now just Milan

(As you prolly guessed Ronaldinho is my favorite player; also was a big Robinho fan so I also watched most Real Madrid, man city games. I also used to play right back and my favorite players to emulate where Cafu, Dani Alves and Roberto Carlos)

Used to only have EPL and Serie a until we got goltv which showed La Liga and Bundesliga

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a striker. I loved Michael Owen but I was never fast, so I'm more of a playmaker forward.

I'm the type of forward who could go 10 games without a goal but no one complains when I don't get dropped. Possession ? from the front is useful.

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    s0j0urner wrote: »
    A lotta the 80s black guys over here are Liverpool fans. My oldest brother and my dad support Liverpool. These ? been mad for so long lol who wudda thought the title you won in 90, is it?, would end up bein' your last for so long

Well, as frustrating as it is for us - we have won some major trophies since 1990. I have convinced my self that UEFA Champ Trophy >> EPL Trophy. It would be nice for Klopp to get us an EPL trophy.

Dude, late 80's Pool was packed with some legends; from Grobbelarr to Barnes to Rush - our playing style back then had so much fluidity.

I am not even past 31 and I remember this ? to a T.

Lates 70s to early 90's Liverpool were mad dope, they'd have won more European competitions if English clubs weren't banned from them

We would have too!!!

Yeah it really fckd you guys up, in a way you have never fully recovered...
  • dagmarlena
    dagmarlena Members Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ijfh1ucd41ak.gif

coming soon to an EPL stadium near you.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    s0j0urner wrote: »
    A lotta the 80s black guys over here are Liverpool fans. My oldest brother and my dad support Liverpool. These ? been mad for so long lol who wudda thought the title you won in 90, is it?, would end up bein' your last for so long

Well, as frustrating as it is for us - we have won some major trophies since 1990. I have convinced my self that UEFA Champ Trophy >> EPL Trophy. It would be nice for Klopp to get us an EPL trophy.

Dude, late 80's Pool was packed with some legends; from Grobbelarr to Barnes to Rush - our playing style back then had so much fluidity.

I am not even past 31 and I remember this ? to a T.

Lates 70s to early 90's Liverpool were mad dope, they'd have won more European competitions if English clubs weren't banned from them

We would have too!!!

Yeah it really fckd you guys up, in a way you have never fully recovered...

Here's an article on the what if the ban never happen. Long read.

sabotagetimes.com/football/everton-what-if-heysel-had-never-happened

Everton: What If... Heysel Had Never Happened?
    The disaster saw English teams banned from competing in Europe for five years and after Everton had recently won the 1985 first division title, it could have been so different for the Toffees had 39 fans not lost their lives that fateful May day.

Jim Keoghan
    Apr 21, 2013

It’s very difficult for an Evertonian to wade into the debate surrounding the Heysel Stadium disaster without sounding bitter. The often touted assertion by blues, that were it not for the European ban which arose after Heysel, Everton would still be a great club can seem a little desperate to some (particularly fans of our esteemed neighbours).

And yet to appreciate the impact Heysel has on the collective Everton psyche, it’s probably necessary to outline just what the club lost during the lifetime of the ban.

There is little doubt that the sides that Howard Kendall put together in the early-to-mid 1980s were the best that Everton have ever produced. The 1985 title-winning side in particular was exemplary, renowned for its flowing movement, speed across the park, creativity and goal scoring. As a result of this and the sides that followed, the mid-1980s became a golden age for Evertonian's, the kind of era that few clubs ever enjoy and amongst those that do, often only fleetingly.

By the time that British clubs were allowed back into Europe in 1991, Everton’s golden age was gone. The great sides of that era had broken up, the inadequate stewardship of Kendall’s replacement, Colin Harvey, had only yielded mediocrity and the prospect of relegation rather than league success was now more likely for the club.

But was this the fault of the ban? Every football club is constantly at the mercy of any number of variables and to suggest that Everton’s change in fortunes was entirely attributable to Heysel would probably be foolish. As proof, you could point to the amateurishness of the board as a contributory factor, something that has dogged Everton for decades both before and after the ban.

But equally, to deny that the ban had no impact at all would also be wrong. And the reason for this is the effect that European success could have had on the club.

There are two teams in Liverpool, but only one that has a significant international fan base. Everton remain a club rooted in the city, whereas Liverpool have spread their influence around the world like a pandemic (probably the kind that gives you horrible diarrhoea). They’ve been able to do this because of their period of European dominance in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It raised their profile internationally, giving fans of English football around the globe a team to focus on. And despite Liverpool never again reaching those heady heights, the loyalty has persisted, providing the club a vast source of revenue from beyond the confines of the city.

No-one can know whether Everton would have been able to replicate Liverpool’s success. But when you look at the sides marshalled under Kendall and then compare them to the clubs that we would have potentially faced in Europe, then it’s plausible to suggest that Everton would have been in with a fighting chance.

Look at the finalists from that era; Steaua Bucharest, Porto, Benfica, PSV and Bayern Munich. Although all great sides of the day, each one was capable of being beaten by Everton. It’s not like we’d have been up against Guardiola’s Barcelona. What’s more, Villa and Forest managed to win in Europe a few years before, and these were teams whose quality didn’t come close to Everton’s. We’d also proven our ability to compete on the European stage in 1985 through our capture of the Cup Winners Cup at the first attempt. This was not a team that had shown any evidence of suffering from European jitters.

The ban robbed Everton’s greatest side of both the opportunity to enjoy success in Europe and the chance to build ourselves into an international brand to rival our neighbours across the park. But it also did something more.

Think of the football world before the ban, one characterised by poor commercial management, falling attendances and violence on the terraces. Then compare that to the one that began to emerge in the 1990s, when the ban was eventually lifted. This was a football world awash with money from Sky, a world in which the Premier League was beginning to build itself into a global brand with a global reach and one where the most successful clubs had the opportunity to pull away from the herd.

The club who ultimately made the most of the opportunities presented in the 1990s was Manchester United. Although they were always a big club, United had done f**k-all for decades, aside from win the occasional FA Cup. And yet, it was they who were ultimately best positioned to capitalise on the cash bonanza that has arrived with both the Premiership and the Champions League.

Who’s to say that couldn’t have been Everton instead? Had Europe been available to us then we would have retained our manager rather than losing him to the Spanish. A player like Lineker, arguably one of the best forwards in the world at that point, might have stayed at the club rather than buggering off to Barcelona. We would also have been able to attract the best talent available and perhaps built a squad that could have continued the momentum of the mid-eighties.

As with any counter-factual, there is plenty of supposition evident here. After all, it’s just as possible that Everton would have floundered in Europe or the incompetence of the board would have undermined any success we did enjoy. The problem is we’ll never know.

But that what if... continues to torture us. The actions of a few Liverpudlian gobsh**es and the response of both the Tory government and the football authorities robbed us of the chance of ever putting the club’s greatest ever side to the test. It’s arguably one of the saddest things to ever happen to Everton, which is saying something when you consider that this is the club that signed Ibrahima Bakayoko.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    interesting to see how everton fc perform this season and beyond with koeman in charge. i believe in his philosophy. players better catch up quick.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @CeLLaR-DooR yoo, you and your crew still does that podcast joint? drop link when yall at it
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    West Ham is interested in Godoy Cruz (Argentina) striker, Ecuador international Jaime Ayovi
  • englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? allardyce smh, throw the next World Cup in the trash too lol.
  • water ur seeds
    edited July 2016
    Options

I bet Big Sam got the call and was like:

HairyLikelyAlbino-size_restricted.gif
  • englishdude
    Options
    Smh back to Andy Carroll and long ? I guess.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd take Big Sam over Steve ? Bruce. Overall the FA never learns.
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pogba for over €120m is absolutely outrageous...especially when he was in your academy

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    Smh back to Andy Carroll and long ? I guess.

Its needed at times... But TBH Sam can play good football at times, I think he gets a bad rep these days...
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There really isn't a feasible person for the england job at all.

I mean literally no one.
  • toheeb27
    toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ESPN3's commentator provided extra entertainment for those not watching on Chelsea TV. Batshuayi (#23) was not on the official teamsheets, and the poor TV guy could not figure out for the life of him who it was. He called him Chalobah for a good 20 minutes, then switched to calling him Remy after Chalobah actually came on. At one point, he even tried on Matt Miazga, but realized that it was a very poor guess.
  • chgarcia345
    chgarcia345 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tonight!!!
    aiw4w112nr1t.jpg

Unexpected finalists,, should be good
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give big Sam a go.

Chris Coleman did what he did.

I say that because I'd rather him over even Klinsmann and Bruce.

But there was no other options
  • englishdude
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    Give big Sam a go.

Chris Coleman did what he did.

I say that because I'd rather him over even Klinsmann and Bruce.

But there was no other options

Holloway >>>> atleast the post match interviews will have more entertainment than the game itself.

Polish a ? as much as you like, it's still a ? at the end of the day.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Portugal just won the Euros playin' the most negative football I've seen in ages.

Just give us a tournament that isn't an embarrassment