Who was the more dominant player? Jerry Rice or Michael Jordan?

Options
bow to royalty
bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
No disrespect since they're both greats, but I'm riding with Rice. Who you got?

I said Rice because NOBODY is ? with what he did in his career, or even coming close IMO. When you look at the numbers, even other all-time great WR's would have to have another 5-6 years of their PRIME to meet his numbers (not just another 5-6 years in their career). For example, Moss would need another 567 catches, 44 Touchdowns, 7,603 yards to catch up. That's about 113 catches, 8-9 touchdowns, and 1,520 yards a year for 5 straight years to do what Rice did, and that's Randy Moss. And it's not just longevity because he's right up there with single season records too.

So when I look at other once-in-a-lifetime talents, the greatest of their eras, top players of all time, and they're not even sniffin what you've done...you get my nod as the most dominant.

Career stats

Receptions

Rice - 1,549
Gonzalez - 1,325
Harrison - 1,102

Receiving Touchdowns
Rice - 197 (
Moss - 156
TO -153

Receiving Yards
Rice - 22,895
TO - 15,934
Moss - 15,292

Single Season Stats

Touchdowns
Moss - 23
Rice - 22 (Did this in a 12 game season. One TD less than what Moss did in that insane year, and played 4 less games. He almost averaged 2 TD's a game...that's like a 29-30 TD season now)
Sterling Sharpe - 18

Yards
Calvin Johnson - 1,964
Julio Jones - 1,871
Jerry Rice - 1,848

Receptions
He's 7th here (1 catch away from top 5). I think that's a product of changes in play style, since only 1 person above him is from before 2002. But it is what it is...he's 7th.

Comments

• eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hard to answer.

Jerry Rice is my favorite football player of all time, always will be.

But you can affect the game more as an individual player in basketball. Unless you're a QB.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    Hard to answer.

Jerry Rice is my favorite football player of all time, always will be.

But you can affect the game more as an individual player in basketball. Unless you're a QB.

True. You just gotta look at what they can do given the position they're in. So not necessarily bigger impact, since Jordan plays offense and defense
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wrote a long post but decided to delete it. sports fans are hard to reason with at times.

I'll just say alot of angles have to be looked at.

not a simple answer
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This kinda ? question b/c Rice's production was largely based on 6 other guys doing their jobs before he could do his. If the qb and 5 lineman ain't worth ? then Rice isn't as production. Where as Jordan could take the ball and do whatever.

• Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan

While Rice is considered the greatest WR of all time, depending on who you ask he isn't the greatest football player.

While Jordan is considered the greatest 2 guard ever AND greatest basketball player ever.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    This kinda ? question b/c Rice's production was largely based on 6 other guys doing their jobs before he could do his. If the qb and 5 lineman ain't worth ? then Rice isn't as production. Where as Jordan could take the ball and do whatever.

exactly what I was gonna say...

one is a choice the other controls the choice
  • bow to royalty
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Not a dumb question because you could say the same thing about any players that arent teammates. Who's better, Antonio Brown or Julio Jones? I could say that can't be debated because their production depends on their OL and RB blocking, the quality of their QB's throws, the quality of their offensive coordinator's scheme, and the ability of their #2 receivers to take some attention off them. I get what you're saying, but we ignore or account for those factors all the time when comparing people.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    It's funny because if I asked who's the most dominant athlete of all time, I bet people would name players from a lot of sports, but when I name 2 specific people yall act like you can't even understand the question. Ok...
  • bow to royalty
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jordan

While Rice is considered the greatest WR of all time, depending on who you ask he isn't the greatest football player.

While Jordan is considered the greatest 2 guard ever AND greatest basketball player ever.

That's not always true. Someone may give that to Kareem or someone else. You ask some old heads they may not have that unanimous choice of Jordan being the GOAT ball player
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bow to royalty
    edited August 2016
    Options
    gman82 wrote: »
    Jordan

K, cool. Why though? I added my reasons for Rice to the OP since I asked you to explain yours.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    after posting my initial response and seeing what the few have stated I decided to edit the post. Lol.

Like one poster already stated I had a lot to say on the subject but sports fans are hard to try and rationalize things to. Lol
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jordan

I wouldn't say Rice was dominant more than he was more consistent. Dominant to me is Moss in his prime where defenses couldn't guard him. He was making mediocre QB's look great.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Jordan

I wouldn't say Rice was dominant more than he was more consistent. Dominant to me is Moss in his prime where defenses couldn't guard him. He was making mediocre QB's look great.

You wouldn't say he was dominant? C'mon...

40upwcp4mvlb.jpg
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan

40upwcp4mvlb.jpg

Dominant is head and shoulders better than your peers. I wouldn't say Rice is head and shoulders better than his peers. You could say Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor,etc are all right there with him. Those dudes probably did more with less if we're being honest. Rice played with three MVP winning QB's and a decent one in Seattle.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jordan

That's not always true. Someone may give that to Kareem or someone else. You ask some old heads they may not have that unanimous choice of Jordan being the GOAT ball player

Fair.

But if you did ask. Jordan would come up as the greatest basketball player ever more than Jerry Rice would come up as the greatest football player ever by a wide margin.

Hell it's debatable if he was even the best on his own team.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You would be hard pressed to find many athletes as dominant as Jordan in any sport, any era.

Shaq ... Wilt? ... (Though his competition was grossly inferior)

Serena for sure ...

Tyson's up there ...

But when you talk about MJ - sure his stats and achievements are nearly untouchable when placed in context...

? all that tho, the eye-test is what separates him. What he did on the court and how he did it...

I can't think of a more dominant athlete
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Lotta talkin and not backin it up going on. I said why Rice was the most dominant in my eyes, and gave the numbers to prove it. All I've heard is he had good teammates and Jordan passed the eye test. I'm not saying y'all are wrong in your opinion just because it's different than mine, but damn...you gotta do better than that
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rice 87 season was beastly. And they only played half the games that year because I think that was the strike year.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan has 6 rings
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Jordan

40upwcp4mvlb.jpg

Dominant is head and shoulders better than your peers. I wouldn't say Rice is head and shoulders better than his peers. You could say Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor,etc are all right there with him. Those dudes probably did more with less if we're being honest. Rice played with three MVP winning QB's and a decent one in Seattle.

I just showed you a 10 year period where he never had less than 1,000 yards, and only had less than 10 TD's once (and it was 9), and you're telling me he wasn't dominant? You're saying Jerry Rice wasn't dominant while looking at that decade of dominance.

I just showed you a 10 year period where he averaged 1,400 yards and 14 TD's per season, and you came back with he's not dominant?

Remind me to not listen to your sports opinion again...that's my bad.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Rice 87 season was beastly. And they only played half the games that year because I think that was the strike year.

Ya, man. 12 game season with 22 TD's. Held the record until Moss put up 23 during the 18-1 year...in a 16 game season. I honestly think Rice was so good, that people can't get an accurate grip on it. NO ONE in the league has done anything close to him. I'm not saying Jordan wasn't dominant, but people haven't said ? to support that.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lotta talkin and not backin it up going on. I said why Rice was the most dominant in my eyes, and gave the numbers to prove it. All I've heard is he had good teammates and Jordan passed the eye test. I'm not saying y'all are wrong in your opinion just because it's different than mine, but damn...you gotta do better than that

Lol - You need me to show you stats that prove Jordan was dominant in the 90s???

For real, Bruh?