Simone Manuel FTW

Options
13»

Comments

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry for derailing this thread, after some research I found the answer, She is the first Black woman to win a gold in an individual swimming event and the first Black American Woman to medal in an individual swimming event

Enith Brigithia was the first Black person to medal in an individual swimming event, she represented the Netherlands

Interesting. I wonder what it's like to be black in the Netherlands. I can't imagine there is a ton of them, but the ones you see seem to be very integrated into that society.

Surinam is part of the Netherlands and a lot of them are over there. There are a lot of people from North Africa too. I've been there. They got they own hoods.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    I'm sorry for derailing this thread, after some research I found the answer, She is the first Black woman to win a gold in an individual swimming event and the first Black American Woman to medal in an individual swimming event

Enith Brigithia was the first Black person to medal in an individual swimming event, she represented the Netherlands

Interesting. I wonder what it's like to be black in the Netherlands. I can't imagine there is a ton of them, but the ones you see seem to be very integrated into that society.

Surinam is part of the Netherlands and a lot of them are over there. There are a lot of people from North Africa too. I've been there. They got they own hoods.

Suriname is independent
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

Suriname is independent

My bad. Should have said was.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    babelipsss wrote: »
    What else could African American mean?

Most media use AA to describe all black ppl living in the us

Yep, and a lot of arrogant ass AAs act like AAs are the only people who count as black. We saw that during Obama's first run when black people were saying he wasn't black because his dad was Kenyan.

That's not what they were saying at all. They were saying he wasn't African American which is something applied to people whose ancestors were slaves. Barack is Kenyan American or simply American which AAs go by also. I'm sure you are aware that African Americans are named such because they don't have a country of origin in Africa. It is distinct from Asian Americans which is a pointless nomenclature being that Indians in no way identify with Chinese, or Russians which are all on the Asian Continent and are aware of and identify wholly with their homeland unlike europeans which have a very close nit, yet distinct culture across the continent. Even they identify with their homeland (country, nation, tribe) first and foremost.

This is true but there are some who will call any black person not from the states not black. I've seen AAs tell people from the islands all the time that they're not "real black people"

IDK how to respond to that. I've personally in my life have never heard that. I've only seen conflict between AAs and blacks from elsewhere. Every black has at least said they were African or identified with their country of birth.

I've used this example before on here... while back MTV did a special on hip hop in Puerto Rico. Tego Calderon, who has written articles about how blacks in PR are treated, showed where he grew up. A town that's 90% black and someone on the IC said "damn they look like normal black people".... that's part of where that conflict you see comes from. People telling us we aren't black just because we speak another language or with an accent....yes there's issues on the other side too in terms of self identifying but I can tell you in my 30 years alive I've never had another Latino or Caribbean person tell me I'm not really black...that's only came from AAs

Yeah I know what you mean. It's a byproduct of slavery and racism. AA people only identify being black with being a descendent of slaves and the black struggle in the U.S. They made us hate or isolate ourselves from those who came from a different culture after forcing their culture abd religions upon us. On the flip side I never heard a Puerto Rican or a Dominican refer to themselves as black.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Man i thought you were speaking on the AAs that were politically against him like Jessie Jackson because he wasn't an AA. People on this board are ass backwards, so i can't really comment on that.

It wasn't just people on this board though. The thread existed because of the fact that it was a trend going around at the time.

The closest anyone had to a valid point was that he wasn't the American kind of "black" in that since his father was from Africa and the other side of his family was white, he didn't really have a good understanding of what it really means to come up as Black in the US. Even that's problematic though.

They were speaking on the fact that his pops wasn't actually from here so he wasn't coming up "Black in the US". He was "Black in Africa". His moms was white and raised him. People questioned how he could identify with issues that affect the Black Community in America which he didn't directly come up in. It had nothing to do with him being specifically of Kenyan descent. No matter where you are from, if you move into the black community, your kids will identify a certain way unless you grew up cac which many have even though they parents grew up around their own. This is the reason blacks give him a hard time now and feel he doesn't connect with black issues.

lol You just rephrased the exact ? I said. Some people didn't believe he was "Black" in the American sense because he didn't grow up like "typical" black American. Even that's a little stupid because he damn sure spent his adult life as a black american so it's not like he's completely ignorant of what it means to be a black native.

And again, that was simply the most reasonable thing said. There were plenty of people just saying he wasn't black because he wasn't from here. If get some time I'll go to Youtube and try to find the compilation video they mad of people saying it. Seems like you are trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. Stop it. I know it's hard to believe, but people really are that dumb.

It isn't dumb. It's ignorance spread from oppression and lack of education. You have to live amongst it to understand. I seen it growing up and had to throwcaway everything I thought I knew about being black or what black could be. Instead of condemning the ignorant, educate them.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black excellence
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It isn't dumb. It's ignorance spread from oppression and lack of education. You have to live amongst it to understand. I seen it growing up and had to throwcaway everything I thought I knew about being black or what black could be. Instead of condemning the ignorant, educate them.

Nah it's dumb. Ignorance is fair. We're all ignorant to something, but having a reasonable level of intelligence should allow you to reject certain lines of thinking. You can't really educate someone like that. If they willingly subscribe to a nonsensical line of thinking, what can you tell them to change their minds?
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Excellence around
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Smh just finding out she my cousin.

throw that alley
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ain't cho got dam cousin....
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She is really pretty but she's way taller than me :'(

like I had a chance anyways lolzzzz
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Worried about bad ? instead

Ingrid Oliveira

206499317.jpg

3_zpskybhji0h.jpg

13_zpssmnbbhdq.jpg

2i9o3k0.jpg

Ingrid-oliveira-5.jpg

Yeah, she bad as ? . Quick question, though: How did this broad do in her actual race(s)?

#BlackGirlMagic
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    Worried about bad ? instead

Ingrid Oliveira

206499317.jpg

3_zpskybhji0h.jpg

13_zpssmnbbhdq.jpg

2i9o3k0.jpg

Ingrid-oliveira-5.jpg

Less time looking cute and more time training she might have placed higher than 8th.

So awesome for Simone. Two amazing Simones representing the H!

There we go...

Close thread.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trollio wrote: »

throw that alley

Nah I definitely called dibs
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enith Brigitha was actually from my native island Curaçao. Most people on the island can swim. As far as swimming competitively the sport isn't that popular. Baseball is more popular.
    I know a black swimmer from Surinam Anthony Nesty won a gold medal in '88.

Depends. I have several cousins that live there and their experience varies. Most don't like it

Really? What do they not like about it and were they born there or did they migrate there?

My family is Aruban so they are Dutch citizens but grew up in Aruba which is vastly different than Europe as you can imagine. For example we speak a totally different language and they only learn Dutch in school but all the colleges and jobs are in Holland so many migrate there

Most of their complaints are the weather and racism. It also depends on your ethnicity . I think Surinamese folk adjust better @Muhannad correct me if I'm wrong
    Yeah while the Dutch Antilles were a Dutch colony, most slave owners and masters were Sephardic Jews. I guess that's why the language is similar to Portuguese and the culture is closer to latin America and Jews than to the Dutch. During slavery the Dutch Antilles primarily served as trade posts. The soil wasn't ideal for growing crops. The vast majority of slaves who weren't sold off to other islands were house slaves. In the other Dutch colony in the 'New World' Surinam they did grow crops. The slavery over there was different. While you had houseslaves, you also had slaves working the fields. While slavery was practised different, slaves were treated horrible in both places. Jews justified slavery and bad treatment of blacks in general by a passage in their holy book. They believed blacks were cursed because of the "Hamitic curse". The bad treatment of slaves is a reason why there were alot of revolts and why there's still resentment to this day.
    I think Don Cheadle made a movie about Tula and Karpata, two people who fought against slavery in Curaçao.

Most Antillians are mixed race. Most native Arubans are white or mixed race but consider themself white. Black Arubans are from other islands or South America. Most black Surinamese people are mostly of (west) African descent. Surinamese people of African descent do adjust better because culturally they're closer to Dutch people. They actually speak Dutch at home while Antillians and Arubans generally don't. I've seen both Surinamese and Antillian people complain about racism in The Netherlands though. Arubans complain less because they don't self identify with black issues, but sometimes they will complain because the racial stratification system is different in Europe than what they're used to. People who would be seen as white in their home country are lumped in with black people in the Netherlands.
    Like you say some of these Dutch think they're tolerant and open minded, but in reality they're racist or atleast insensitive or indifferent to the feelings of black people from former colonies. A good example is a Dutch national holiday they still celebrate called Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas in Dutch language). It's a holiday comparable to Santaclaus but it's a white guy with a beard with black slaves working for him. The slaves are called Black Pete. Black people complained about it for the longest, but some of these Dutch don't want to hear it.
    Some people want to act like racism is a thing of the past because there is no real stigma on interracial relationships between black and white in the Netherlands. Black people can get profiled and harassed by police. They can face exclusion on the jobmarket. To make a long story short they can face racism, but I think it's less overt than in countries like Italy or Spain.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »
    Like you say some of these Dutch think they're tolerant and open minded, but in reality they're racist or atleast insensitive or indifferent to the feelings of black people from former colonies. A good example is a Dutch national holiday they still celebrate called Saint Nicholas (Sinterklaas in Dutch language). It's a holiday comparable to Santaclaus but it's a white guy with a beard with black slaves working for him. The slaves are called Black Pete. Black people complained about it for the longest, but some of these Dutch don't want to hear it.
    Some people want to act like racism is a thing of the past because there is no real stigma on interracial relationships between black and white in the Netherlands. Black people can get profiled and harassed by police. They can face exclusion on the jobmarket. To make a long story short they can face racism, but I think it's less overt than in countries like Italy or Spain.

I actually read about that. The problem there is that I think the blackface legitimately means something different in this case. Like Black Pete's face is supposed be that way because of him being the one that went down the chimneys or something like that. So that's where a little of the problem comes in. Because blacks from other areas immediately associated it with American style blackface and want it changed, whereas the Dutch don't understand the feelings and are going to be resistant because it doesn't mean that to them.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I actually read about that. The problem there is that I think the blackface legitimately means something different in this case. Like Black Pete's face is supposed be that way because of him being the one that went down the chimneys or something like that. So that's where a little of the problem comes in. Because blacks from other areas immediately associated it with American style blackface and want it changed, whereas the Dutch don't understand the feelings and are going to be resistant because it doesn't mean that to them.
    No, black Pete is supposed to be a Moorish or African slave. That chimney is a copout. They used to depict Moors as blacks back in the day. He wears an outfit Moors in Spain used to wear.
    Back in the day these black Pete's used to speak with an accent mocking black people from former colonies. If it was just the chimney, they wouldn't have to speak with an accent. Black Pete also ? , like he bucks his eyes, acts childlike, dumb and animated and does other stuff they feel black people do. Black Pete's been a charicature. Black Pete also wouldn't have to wear a afro wig and wouldn't put on big red lipstick. They're obviously mocking black people with that sh*t. I've heard some black kids say they get picked on by their white classmates during this holiday. If it was just the chimney, children wouldn't make that association between a black slave and their classmates. In a few years it'll be a thing of the past because big corporations don't want to be associated with anything that's considered racist. Every year there's a big debate and tense situation in cities with a large black population. I give it 5 years tops...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

No, black Pete is supposed to be a Moorish or African slave. That chimney is a copout. They used to depict Moors as blacks back in the day. He wears an outfit Moors in Spain used to wear.
    Back in the day these black Pete's used to speak with an accent mocking black people from former colonies. If it was just the chimney, they wouldn't have to speak with an accent. Black Pete also ? , like he bucks his eyes, acts childlike, dumb and animated and does other stuff they feel black people do. Black Pete's been a charicature. Black Pete also wouldn't have to wear a afro wig and wouldn't put on big red lipstick. They're obviously mocking black people with that sh*t. I've heard some black kids say they get picked on by their white classmates during this holiday. If it was just the chimney, children wouldn't make that association between a black slave and their classmates. In a few years it'll be a thing of the past because big corporations don't want to be associated with anything that's considered racist. Every year there's a big debate and tense situation in cities with a large black population. I give it 5 years tops...

Oh ok. Yeah, makes sense.