Simone Manuel FTW

Options

Comments

• CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    What else could African American mean?

Someone from Africa that immigrated to America and became a citizen...

It's not that hard guys
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't consider myself African Americans as I feel like

1) it's slightly offensive because it groups all Africans in one group as if Africa is one big Country

2) I'm not from Africa, I'm black though.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most media use AA to describe all black ppl living in the us
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

Yep, and a lot of arrogant ass AAs act like AAs are the only people who count as black. We saw that during Obama's first run when black people were saying he wasn't black because his dad was Kenyan.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    Worried about bad ? instead

Ingrid Oliveira

206499317.jpg

3_zpskybhji0h.jpg

13_zpssmnbbhdq.jpg

2i9o3k0.jpg

Ingrid-oliveira-5.jpg

Less time looking cute and more time training she might have placed higher than 8th.

So awesome for Simone. Two amazing Simones representing the H!

SMFH. Some people just on a mission to ? on dark women....

I was waiting for someone to say "only ? can swim, real ? drown"
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yep, and a lot of arrogant ass AAs act like AAs are the only people who count as black. We saw that during Obama's first run when black people were saying he wasn't black because his dad was Kenyan.

That's not what they were saying at all. They were saying he wasn't African American which is something applied to people whose ancestors were slaves. Barack is Kenyan American or simply American which AAs go by also. I'm sure you are aware that African Americans are named such because they don't have a country of origin in Africa. It is distinct from Asian Americans which is a pointless nomenclature being that Indians in no way identify with Chinese, or Russians which are all on the Asian Continent and are aware of and identify wholly with their homeland unlike europeans which have a very close nit, yet distinct culture across the continent. Even they identify with their homeland (country, nation, tribe) first and foremost.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »

That's not what they were saying at all. They were saying he wasn't African American which is something applied to people whose ancestors were slaves. Barack is Kenyan American or simply American which AAs go by also. I'm sure you are aware that African Americans are named such because they don't have a country of origin in Africa. It is distinct from Asian Americans which is a pointless nomenclature being that Indians in no way identify with Chinese, or Russians which are all on the Asian Continent and are aware of and identify wholly with their homeland unlike europeans which have a very close nit, yet distinct culture across the continent. Even they identify with their homeland (country, nation, tribe) first and foremost.

This is true but there are some who will call any black person not from the states not black. I've seen AAs tell people from the islands all the time that they're not "real black people"
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

No, there were people saying he wasn't black. We had a big thread about this where people were trying to justify that dumb ? .
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Well he is mixed
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited August 2016
    Options

No, there were people saying he wasn't black. We had a big thread about this where people were trying to justify that dumb ? .

Man i thought you were speaking on the AAs that were politically against him like Jessie Jackson because he wasn't an AA. People on this board are ass backwards, so i can't really comment on that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Man i thought you were speaking on the AAs that were politically against him like Jessie Jackson because he wasn't an AA. People on this board are ass backwards, so i can't really comment on that.

It wasn't just people on this board though. The thread existed because of the fact that it was a trend going around at the time.

The closest anyone had to a valid point was that he wasn't the American kind of "black" in that since his father was from Africa and the other side of his family was white, he didn't really have a good understanding of what it really means to come up as Black in the US. Even that's problematic though.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

This is true but there are some who will call any black person not from the states not black. I've seen AAs tell people from the islands all the time that they're not "real black people"

IDK how to respond to that. I've personally in my life have never heard that. I've only seen conflict between AAs and blacks from elsewhere. Every black has at least said they were African or identified with their country of birth.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited August 2016
    Options

It wasn't just people on this board though. The thread existed because of the fact that it was a trend going around at the time.

The closest anyone had to a valid point was that he wasn't the American kind of "black" in that since his father was from Africa and the other side of his family was white, he didn't really have a good understanding of what it really means to come up as Black in the US. Even that's problematic though.

They were speaking on the fact that his pops wasn't actually from here so he wasn't coming up "Black in the US". He was "Black in Africa". His moms was white and raised him. People questioned how he could identify with issues that affect the Black Community in America which he didn't directly come up in. It had nothing to do with him being specifically of Kenyan descent. No matter where you are from, if you move into the black community, your kids will identify a certain way unless you grew up cac which many have even though they parents grew up around their own. This is the reason blacks give him a hard time now and feel he doesn't connect with black issues.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is so sad
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

IDK how to respond to that. I've personally in my life have never heard that. I've only seen conflict between AAs and blacks from elsewhere. Every black has at least said they were African or identified with their country of birth.

I've used this example before on here... while back MTV did a special on hip hop in Puerto Rico. Tego Calderon, who has written articles about how blacks in PR are treated, showed where he grew up. A town that's 90% black and someone on the IC said "damn they look like normal black people".... that's part of where that conflict you see comes from. People telling us we aren't black just because we speak another language or with an accent....yes there's issues on the other side too in terms of self identifying but I can tell you in my 30 years alive I've never had another Latino or Caribbean person tell me I'm not really black...that's only came from AAs
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

They were speaking on the fact that his pops wasn't actually from here so he wasn't coming up "Black in the US". He was "Black in Africa". His moms was white and raised him. People questioned how he could identify with issues that affect the Black Community in America which he didn't directly come up in. It had nothing to do with him being specifically of Kenyan descent. No matter where you are from, if you move into the black community, your kids will identify a certain way unless you grew up cac which many have even though they parents grew up around their own. This is the reason blacks give him a hard time now and feel he doesn't connect with black issues.

lol You just rephrased the exact ? I said. Some people didn't believe he was "Black" in the American sense because he didn't grow up like "typical" black American. Even that's a little stupid because he damn sure spent his adult life as a black american so it's not like he's completely ignorant of what it means to be a black native.

And again, that was simply the most reasonable thing said. There were plenty of people just saying he wasn't black because he wasn't from here. If get some time I'll go to Youtube and try to find the compilation video they mad of people saying it. Seems like you are trying to give people the benefit of the doubt. Stop it. I know it's hard to believe, but people really are that dumb.
  • kid_khameleon
    kid_khameleon Members Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm sorry for derailing this thread, after some research I found the answer, She is the first Black woman to win a gold in an individual swimming event and the first Black American Woman to medal in an individual swimming event

Enith Brigithia was the first Black person to medal in an individual swimming event, she represented the Netherlands
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

I've used this example before on here... while back MTV did a special on hip hop in Puerto Rico. Tego Calderon, who has written articles about how blacks in PR are treated, showed where he grew up. A town that's 90% black and someone on the IC said "damn they look like normal black people".... that's part of where that conflict you see comes from. People telling us we aren't black just because we speak another language or with an accent....yes there's issues on the other side too in terms of self identifying but I can tell you in my 30 years alive I've never had another Latino or Caribbean person tell me I'm not really black...that's only came from AAs

Idk about you for me and my peers who also were second gen identified as black but AAs were black black
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'm sorry for derailing this thread, after some research I found the answer, She is the first Black woman to win a gold in an individual swimming event and the first Black American Woman to medal in an individual swimming event

Enith Brigithia was the first Black person to medal in an individual swimming event, she represented the Netherlands

Interesting. I wonder what it's like to be black in the Netherlands. I can't imagine there is a ton of them, but the ones you see seem to be very integrated into that society.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Interesting. I wonder what it's like to be black in the Netherlands. I can't imagine there is a ton of them, but the ones you see seem to be very integrated into that society.

Depends. I have several cousins that live there and their experience varies. Most don't like it
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Depends. I have several cousins that live there and their experience varies. Most don't like it

Really? What do they not like about it and were they born there or did they migrate there?
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Really? What do they not like about it and were they born there or did they migrate there?

My family is Aruban so they are Dutch citizens but grew up in Aruba which is vastly different than Europe as you can imagine. For example we speak a totally different language and they only learn Dutch in school but all the colleges and jobs are in Holland so many migrate there

Most of their complaints are the weather and racism. It also depends on your ethnicity . I think Surinamese folk adjust better @Muhannad correct me if I'm wrong
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Also Dutch ppl tend to think of themselves as very open and tolerant but they are no different than any other white group
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

My family is Aruban so they are Dutch citizens but grew up in Aruba which is vastly different than Europe as you can imagine. For example we speak a totally different language and they only learn Dutch in school but all the colleges and jobs are in Holland so many migrate there

Most of their complaints are the weather and racism. It also depends on your ethnicity . I think Surinamese folk adjust better @Muhannad correct me if I'm wrong

Interesting. I just read an article from a chick that moved there from Philly, and she thought that the outlook for racism was better there than in the U.S. She said the only problem was that they adopted that whole "we don't see color" type thinking, so when you encounter racism, no one will listen because they believe it's in your head.