Who Was The MVP of 2002

Options

Comments

• GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem
    The quality of work Em did in 02 ended up earning him a Grammy, Oscar, and Golden Globe among countless others boi was winning film and music awards left and right selling like crazy and his ? wasn't on no pop ? he was actually in his prime spitting days AND he had 50 buzz going crazy on his roster.... The boi literally checks every box for that year
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    The quality of work Em did in 02 ended up earning him a Grammy, Oscar, and Golden Globe among countless others boi was winning film and music awards left and right selling like crazy and his ? wasn't on no pop ? he was actually in his prime spitting days AND he had 50 buzz going crazy on his roster.... The boi literally checks every box for that year

Can't really argue with this. 50 came on really strong with Wanksta and it was a wrap when "In the club" dropped in late 2002. Em had the sales but Nas to me still owned 2002 with the battle with Jay and then coming through with that "One Mic" video and then later on in 2002 came out with that street banger with "made you look"

The MVP don't always have to be a top seller. Like basketball for example NBA MVPS don't always lead the league in top scoring. Nas or Em in 2002 are MVP worthy though.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem
    jim1000 wrote: »

Can't really argue with this. 50 came on really strong with Wanksta and it was a wrap when "In the club" dropped in late 2002. Em had the sales but Nas to me still owned 2002 with the battle with Jay and then coming through with that "One Mic" video and then later on in 2002 came out with that street banger with "made you look"

The MVP don't always have to be a top seller. Like basketball for example NBA MVPS don't always lead the league in top scoring. Nas or Em in 2002 are MVP worthy though.

Do y'all really think Jay v Nas was debated/talked about in places, pass let's say Feb/March 2002, other than forums like this and a couple of corners in Queens and Brooklyn?

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do y'all really think Jay v Nas was debated/talked about in places, pass let's say Feb/March 2002, other than forums like this and a couple of corners in Queens and Brooklyn?

How long have you been into Hip Hop?

Do you remember 2002?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    Eminem
    5 Grand wrote: »

Do you remember 2002?

Enough with this age ? . Yeah ? we know you was just gettin outta HS when this hip hop thing started popping off.

Still doesn't change the fact that Jay v Nas was dying down in early 2002.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Nas

Do you remember 2002?

Enough with this age ? . Yeah ? we know you was just gettin outta HS when this hip hop thing started popping off.

No it wasn't dying down. That was a constant topic of discussion for like 3/4 years.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    Eminem
    5th Letter wrote: »

Do you remember 2002?

No it wasn't dying down. That was a constant topic of discussion for like 3/4 years.

I said it was a hot topic on places like these in an earlier post. And still is 15 years later.

But once you logged off, that ? was brought up past April/May 2002 like it was in the fall of 2001.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scarface
    Stew wrote: »
    Face had the hardest album but got burried beneath all the hoopla..

Facts but that aint the question here.

then Nelly then ? ! lol

thats the "hot in herrr" right!!?
    yeh! that ? had the clubs lit!!
    was a great time to be alive! lol
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scarface
    The Fix is the best album that was dropped that year.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Nas
    smp4life wrote: »
    Still no Xzibit?

Hahaha
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas

IF you were involved with the industry it was ? was deep and kats were worried we may see ? go the Pac and Biggie route...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Em and it's not even close.

Nelly had the biggest song (hot in here) and another huge hit (dilemma) playin every 5 mins.

Nas was cool but started Rollin with murda inc (it's Murda? Word? You Ashanti now?)

Killa Cam got the most burn from me CHWM and the clowning of Nas had my ears.

Scarface dropped a 5mic album.

• Revolver Ocelot
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem

IF you were involved with the industry it was ? was deep and kats were worried we may see ? go the Pac and Biggie route...

Now I needed to be an A&R to REALLY see that Jay/Nas was some real life or death ? and was still going strong well into 2002. LOL

Y'all got it. ? everywhere was still giving a ? about Jay v Nas in 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Nas was a man on fire in 2002 like cube was in 1991. He destroyed the record company thats in me and geto boys avatar after everybody counted him out and hopped on Jay Z ? with takeover. 95% of everybody said Nas was done after Takeover. Ether impacted hip hop so hard because his words indirectly spoke to his nonbelivers and turncoats also. There has never been a momentum change so drastic in hip hop like the impact after Nas dropped Ether on Jay Z.

For starters yes everybody was still talking about this beef in 2002 are you ? kidding me. This beef was the main reason street ? and computer illteriate people even discovered the internet. This beef is why hip hop became so wide spread on the net. This beef has even affected YOUR life. There is no doubt this beef shaped the views of how you embrace music, artists and people in general. we dont like cuckolds like nas. we dont like ugly camel looking ? like jay. we dont want to be broke like nas. the baby seat. the tek on dresser. getting chased through the building. This beef teaching ? a crash course in life lessons. Everybody on this board views on hip hop to your username is somehow a product of this beef. This wasnt just 2 ? dissing each other. This was Ali/Frazier, Warrior/Hogan, 2016LBJ vs 2016warriors

Eminem didnt really run ? . Like supergangster said He is product of interscope machine that pushed that trash album everywhere. One reason why it sold so much because it was cheap album. It was one of the first round of CD releases that became cheaper at retail and big box stores. Best buy had a 8 page circular dedicated to this album and was selling it at 6.99. Walmart and Target didnt sell edited versions of BP1 or Stillmatic but had a shitload of TES right besides country western. 8 mile was a wack ass movie only whiteboys with subarus went to go see that in theatres because Barbershop and Brown Sugar were out at same time I passed up 8 mile to support black films. Think about it the only reason TES sold because he dissed his mama through out the whole album after he promised ? he wouldnt do it on 2nd album because he did it so much on the 1st. Now that im older I can say thank heavens my mom was a black woman and Cleaning Out My Closet is one of the biggest snitch anthems ever created. No matter how yall feel about yall mothers would any of you black men. not mixed not white but black men would ever talk about yall mom on a record like Eminem did giving out the names of drugs she used, abuse tacticts, locations and time? When his mama do pass away he is going to have that one quiet lonely moment where the guilt of making that song and the pain he KNOW it caused will outweigh all rational thinking.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem
    Tough, yo....I dont think Godson and Lost Tapes can do enough to say it was Nas's year if you really think about that ? ....Yo Em, Jarule and Nelly were everywhere b.....With the movie, soundtrack and an album all being successful, and signing 50 gotta roll with Em.....Oh ? Nas is ahead @5th Letter switch my vote...lol.... na jokin
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Eminem
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Nas was a man on fire in 2002 like cube was in 1991. He destroyed the record company thats in me and geto boys avatar after everybody counted him out and hopped on Jay Z ? with takeover. 95% of everybody said Nas was done after Takeover. Ether impacted hip hop so hard because his words indirectly spoke to his nonbelivers and turncoats also. There has never been a momentum change so drastic in hip hop like the impact after Nas dropped Ether on Jay Z.

For starters yes everybody was still talking about this beef in 2002 are you ? kidding me. This beef was the main reason street ? and computer illteriate people even discovered the internet. This beef is why hip hop became so wide spread on the net. This beef has even affected YOUR life. There is no doubt this beef shaped the views of how you embrace music, artists and people in general. we dont like cuckolds like nas. we dont like ugly camel looking ? like jay. we dont want to be broke like nas. the baby seat. the tek on dresser. getting chased through the building. This beef teaching ? a crash course in life lessons. Everybody on this board views on hip hop to your username is somehow a product of this beef. This wasnt just 2 ? dissing each other. This was Ali/Frazier, Warrior/Hogan, 2016LBJ vs 2016warriors

Eminem didnt really run ? . Like supergangster said He is product of interscope machine that pushed that trash album everywhere. One reason why it sold so much because it was cheap album. It was one of the first round of CD releases that became cheaper at retail and big box stores. Best buy had a 8 page circular dedicated to this album and was selling it at 6.99. Walmart and Target didnt sell edited versions of BP1 or Stillmatic but had a shitload of TES right besides country western. 8 mile was a wack ass movie only whiteboys with subarus went to go see that in theatres because Barbershop and Brown Sugar were out at same time I passed up 8 mile to support black films. Think about it the only reason TES sold because he dissed his mama through out the whole album after he promised ? he wouldnt do it on 2nd album because he did it so much on the 1st. Now that im older I can say thank heavens my mom was a black woman and Cleaning Out My Closet is one of the biggest snitch anthems ever created. No matter how yall feel about yall mothers would any of you black men. not mixed not white but black men would ever talk about yall mom on a record like Eminem did giving out the names of drugs she used, abuse tacticts, locations and time? When his mama do pass away he is going to have that one quiet lonely moment where the guilt of making that song and the pain he KNOW it caused will outweigh all rational thinking.

So in short nas was the MVP becuz he beat Jay in your opinion and Em is white.... You could of saved yourself a bunch of time and just said that my ?
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    Nas

100% my ? !! This battle was talked about for a long time. Don't forget Jigga dropped blueprint 2 in 2002 followed by Last real ? alive. This battle didnt really die down until probably around 2003 ish.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    tompetrez3 wrote: »

Post of thé year
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Options
    Eminem

100% my ? !! This battle was talked about for a long time. Don't forget Jigga dropped blueprint 2 in 2002 followed by Last real ? alive. This battle didnt really die down until probably around 2003 ish.

And neither one of those songs talked about like Takeover or Ether outside of the Reason or any other forum back then.

Plus I never said they didn't continue to take shots at each other, just the general public didn't give a ? like the first 2 disses.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nas

Now I needed to be an A&R to REALLY see that Jay/Nas was some real life or death ? and was still going strong well into 2002. LOL

Y'all got it. ? everywhere was still giving a ? about Jay v Nas in 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006.

At the time I was still producing Tracks at the HoGG House out here in Seattle, the Homies were touring from here to the Bay and ? was a matter of discussion and set the bar for diss records.

Without going too deep into local street politics most of the rappers up here were cliqued up and Beefing Cbo got stomped out by one of the OG's in the Central and his protege's were starting funk and tracks were flying out of studio's recklessly aimed at adversaries and former label mates ? was ill and Ether set the bar.

Nas Changed the game and made HipHop History in 2002, I mean ? Damn the ramification are constantly in front of your face on this board word to the ether button. ? still is a hot and heated topic to this day with a bunch of Jigga Warriors stuck in denial...
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Jay/Nas beef didn't die down till after gods son this dude doesn't know wtf he's talking about, Jay was challenging Nas to a ppv event, Nas was trying to lynch a Jay Z figure at summer jam then went on a rant on the radio, the beef was still on and popping in 02 and no one knew what was next, it wasn't until Jay admitted defeat and Nas put a stamp on it on Last real ? alive where everyone pretty much knew after that there were no more ether or takeovers on deck
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Go to a Nas show to this day people are calling for ether and he won't perform it, imagine how live that ? was back then
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Eminem
    Em had the streets with his artist 50.... He had the pop charts becuz he white.... he had the theaters becuz of his movie. . he had arguably the biggest single at the time with lose yourself.... He had the respect of his peers becuz of his bars.... He had every award you could think of from music to movies... I mean damn how much more MVP of a year can you be??? If Em was black with a year like that we'd be calling it the greatest year ever for a rapper
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    LOL @ Nas. Eminem and Nelly dominated the charts that year.

"Only dudes moving units Em, ? Juice and Us" -Jigger

Jay was reaching big time putting himself with Em and Nelly. Those guys were going diamond. Both Blueprint 1 and 2 sold 2.5. He barely outsold Nas.