Lala Land

Best Docu
    13th - Ava Duevaney

Best Animated
    Moana

• fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    I do hope there arent alot Trump speeches or ? focused on Trump but with the banning of news outlets from the White House this weekend, Hollywood gonna play into Steve Bannon's hands.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In order my rank for Best Picture:

1. Hidden Figures: Best overall story, acting, music and ending.
    2. Hacksaw Ridge: The backstory was a bit rushed, but very entertaining when boot camp starts til the end.
    3. Hell or High Water: Has some really slow moments but incredible ? .
    4. Lion: Powerful ending, great not amazing. But I didn't care for his "new" parents story.
    5. Fences: Amazing acting, not excited about major characters disappearing off screen.. see Moonlight.
    6. Arrival: Good not great. Should've offered more to the alien story.
    7. Moonlight: Chapter II should've been more delved into, the strongest chapter. Very realistic overall.
    8. LaLa Land: Ryan Gosling can't sing. The ending was good though and the beginning sequence.
    9. Manchester By The Sea: Some of the best story they didn't really get into. Actually kind of boring, original doesn't mean award worthy every time.

I'd take Birth of a Nation over a few of these movies. Meh, what do I know awards probably will go in reverse order in likelihood to win.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »

2. Hacksaw Ridge: The backstory was a bit rushed, but very entertaining when boot camp starts til the end.
    4. Lion: Powerful ending, great not amazing. But I didn't care for his "new" parents story.
    5. Fences: Amazing acting, not excited about major characters disappearing off screen.. see Moonlight.
    7. Moonlight: Chapter II should've been more delved into, the strongest chapter. Very realistic overall.
    8. LaLa Land: Ryan Gosling can't sing. The ending was good though and the beginning sequence.
    9. Manchester By The Sea: Some of the best story they didn't really get into. Actually kind of boring, original doesn't mean award worthy every time.

I'd take Birth of a Nation over a few of these movies. Meh, what do I know awards probably will go in reverse order in likelihood to win.

Birth of a nation was very average , very average.I expected more.
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    S.jR. wrote: »

Birth of a nation was very average , very average.I expected more.

You know I think my expectations wanted more for the revolt. But it was what it was. Still had some powerful imagery IMO.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1. Arrival: Most imaginative & unique story. Most rewatchable of the films nominated
    2. Moonlight: im actually rooting for this the most. Amazingly shot.
    3. Manchester By the Sea: Great performance by Casey. Not really a multiple watch movie but hits you deep the 1st time you sit thru it.
    4. Hell or High Water: The most "fun" movie in the bunch. Ben Foster always been underrated. ? the Big Lebowskis racist version of Tommy Lee Jones character from No Country Old Men
    5. Hidden Figures: Very good movie. Surprised its up for best picture tho. Its kinda similar to all the civil rights based family films like Remember The Titans. Good movie tho.
    6. Fences: Denzel made this movie watchable. He made a boring movie barable with a great performance and deserves Best Actor.
    7. Lion: I was not able to enjoy this proper because i saw the 60Mins episode on the real story. Tainted the experience of the film for me.
    8. Hacksaw Ridge: This movie was not great. Battle scenes were very good but other than that i dont see the hype.
    9. LaLa Land: ? this corny ass ? . And i already know its gonna sweep every category
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

1. Arrival: Most imaginative & unique story. Most rewatchable of the films nominated
    3. Manchester By the Sea: Great performance by Casey. Not really a multiple watch movie but hits you deep the 1st time you sit thru it.
    4. Hell or High Water: The most "fun" movie in the bunch. Ben Foster always been underrated. ? the Big Lebowskis racist version of Tommy Lee Jones character from No Country Old Men
    5. Hidden Figures: Very good movie. Surprised its up for best picture tho. Its kinda similar to all the civil rights based family films like Remember The Titans. Good movie tho.
    6. Fences: Denzel made this movie watchable. He made a boring movie barable with a great performance and deserves Best Actor.
    7. Lion: I was not able to enjoy this proper because i saw the 60Mins episode on the real story. Tainted the experience of the film for me.
    8. Hacksaw Ridge: This movie was not great. Battle scenes were very good but other than that i dont see the hype.
    9. LaLa Land: ? this corny ass ? . And i already know its gonna sweep every category

Jeff Bridges based his character on a real-life Texas Ranger named Joaquin Jackson.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Jeff Bridges based his character on a real-life Texas Ranger named Joaquin Jackson.

Well my mexican & indian blood says ? that guy
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures and Arrival are the only major nominees I actually watched. I skimmed thru Moonlight. Don't really have any strong rooting interest, but Hacksaw was my ? .
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options
    Respect to Ali. Didn't think his role was big enough to get the W, but he killed it.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black Excellence!!!
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ogdwuv.gif

Janelle Monae

Ever since she stopped dressing like a boy, she's been A1
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Yea Janelle been hidin that body too long
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I did not know she was only 16
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black excellence
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oj Made in America was a master piece.it captured many of the same themes in the 13th and I am Not your ? .. how it pulled everything together was amazing and the clarity of 20/20 hindsight older age and just an overall awareness of how ? was framed it was enlightening
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Denzel legit looked upset he took the L
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Denzel looking like he about to say ? this ? lol
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meryl streep is awful
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

giphy.gif i need this photo shop
  • Rampage12
    Options
    Denzel legit looked upset he took the L

Yeah looked super ? when Casey gave him a shout out in his speech too. Mel Gibson looked kinda salty when he didn't win Best Director also.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

giphy.gif i need this photo shop

I don't know how to do that ? but a pic of Casey Affleck's face as the cup would be gold.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options