Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Moonlight was a great film but.............yet again the Oscars choose to give awards to us when its "that" type of role/movie. The Halle in Monster Ball type role, the Denzel as a bad guy role, the ? black dude role this time around, along with Naomi as a ? ? .

Yall notice Hidden Figures basically got shutout. You know, the film where nobody had to compromise themselves. Selma had the samething happen.

If hidden figures woulda won yall would be complaining because John Glenn & Kevin Costner had "white savior" roles

Instead of conspiracy theories & complaints how about celebrating the Black Excellence that actually happened last night.

BECAUSE ? COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING FAM
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Moonlight was a great film but.............yet again the Oscars choose to give awards to us when its "that" type of role/movie. The Halle in Monster Ball type role, the Denzel as a bad guy role, the ? black dude role this time around, along with Naomi as a ? ? .

Yall notice Hidden Figures basically got shutout. You know, the film where nobody had to compromise themselves. Selma had the samething happen.

not saying its enough but people dont accept those roles thinking they gonna get an Oscar it just so happens and to be fair they have been damn good in those portrayals whether you think it is stereotypes or not.

and to be fair...

Jamie won for Singer
    Jenifer Hudson - Singer
    Forest Whitaker - Real life dictator/president
    Morgan - aged Boxing Trainer assistant
    Louis Gossett Jr - An Army Officer
    Whoopi Goldberg - Seance Lady
    Sidney Poitier - Jack of All trades messiah type

• blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Moral of the story moonlight was a great film it deserved the awards won.

I haven't seen hidden figures the white hero stuff really put me off.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options

why is this such a big deal?

what white hero are you referring to?
  • fortyacres
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    Oh look another thread yall turning into the kat show

For real..can I live?

Kat told yall in 96 she came to take this ? and she did

no she didnt..

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Its a true story.

You getting hidden figures and the great wall confused
  • fortyacres
    Options

what white hero stuff? , you do know its a true story based on a book written by a Black Woman ?
  • Already Home_17
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

what white hero stuff? , you do know its a true story based on a book written by a Black Woman ?

if the white actor isn't playing the devil himself, they're the hero
    if the black actor isn't playing what they deem to be a saint, powers that be are "pushing an agenda"
  • fortyacres
    Options

if the black actor isn't playing what they deem to be a saint, powers that be are "pushing an agenda"

i still think that wouldnt be enough lmao.
  • blue_london
    Options

I know it's a true story however some scenes was added the director said

He didn’t see a problem with adding a white hero into the story.

“There needs to be white people who do the right thing, there needs to be black people who do the right thing,” Melfi said. “And someone does the right thing. And so who cares who does the right thing, as long as the right thing is achieved?”

• blue_london
    Options

I agree that's the attitude here however in this situation it's relevant
  • fortyacres
    Options

“There needs to be white people who do the right thing, there needs to be black people who do the right thing,” Melfi said. “And someone does the right thing. And so who cares who does the right thing, as long as the right thing is achieved?”

But there were white people who did the right thing(s) or NASA would still be segregated.

Have you even watched the movie before just making these white savior claims ?

and from the accounts ive heard from some black engineers who worked for JPL/NASA Gus Grissom ,Alan Shepard and John Glenn where some stand up white dude so....

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Anybody that makes the argument that the dude is ? and therefore emasculated clearly hasn't seen the movie and their opinion is ? .
  • blue_london
    Options

But there were white people who did the right thing(s) or NASA would still be segregated.

Have you even watched the movie before just making these white savior claims ?

and from the accounts ive heard from some black engineers who worked for JPL/NASA Gus Grissom ,Alan Shepard and John Glenn where some stand up white dude so....

The point is things were added in. I'm not saying there was never good white people that would be insane and if people needed a film to highlight that issue then they need to grow up. what I'm saying is irrelevant things was added to the plot to be a hero the bathroom scene did not happen....

The book states very clearly that Johnson “refused to so much as enter the Coloured bathrooms,” and that nobody ever tried to make her do so. Would that not highlight NASA as an organisation that doesn't have racist beliefs?

To confirm this, I asked Johnson if she used the Coloured bathrooms. “I just went on in the white one,” she said.

Johnson told me she was at her desk when the launch took place; she was not allowed into Mission Control. The book confirms this: She “sat tight in the office, watching the transmission on a television.”

Those scenes was added to be a white hero.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

I seen alot of people complain about this snatching... It was needed. Someone had to take charge and it was all his fault. He shoulda said it was the wrong card from the get-go.

New rule... Nobody over age of 60 is allowed to read card winners.
  • Already Home_17
    edited February 2017
    Options

I seen alot of people complain about this snatching... It was needed. Someone had to take charge and it was all his fault. He shoulda said it was the wrong card from the get-go.

he knew something was wrong from the get-go
    it was the co-presenter who announced lala land won
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he knew something was wrong from the get-go
    it was the co-presenter who announced lala land won

Yeah, you could see he was trying to buy time.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Warren knew something was up when he open the envelope and it said emma stone which was previous category winner .
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But they do that for damn near every movie based on a true story.

Hell for years, until I read his Autobiography, I thought once Malcolm X and his siblings were sent to foster care that he never saw them again. But that's not true at all, he lived w/ his sister when he was in Boston and it was a sibling or 2 that introduced him to Islam when he was in prison and he had some communication with them while he was in the NOI. For whatever reason Spike left all that out the movie.