Old article: Obama’s scolding tone with black audiences is getting old...and a few comments

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

fact is at one point he had a problem with his messaging to the blk community

his tone was at times paternalistic and condescending.....different from when he spoke to other audiences

it matters and is problematic because it perpetuated the myth that blk ppl, blk culture does not value education same as non blks and is more morally bankrupt than other cultures, races

framing blks as deficient and pathological

given that he was the president of the united states and his words reach millions of ppl, it was problematic

So then we as a community need to be pacified?? He's a black man that, contrary to some peoples opinion, understands black plight in America. Being a successful black man in america and leader of the free world at the time, I think his opinion on things would matter. But I'll take the bait: how should a black man address black people about black problems? Given your profile name, I assume you're a black woman. Speak on it....

he shouldn't speak in a paternalistic and condescending tone

and not perpetuate negative stereotypes

hen i was little ...we had OGs that checked us constantly.

i was one of the ones they told couldnt be in a gang...i was too smart to be out in the street fighting.

at the times...guess how i felt, like them ? was talking down on me.

now i thank them for looking out for me when i wasnt looking out for myself.

sometimes the message aint what you want to hear or when you want to hear it, but you should be thankful someone took the time to say it.

cuz if they didnt....go right ahead and fail...i dont care i got mine. those are the people you should be going at
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I don't see whats controversial or demeaning about what we wrote

Facts - he went to a private high school
    Facts - his grandmother was a VP at a bank
    Facts - his father went to Harvard
    Facts - he inherited $500k
    Facts - these are all different than the average black man his age
    Facts - takes nothing away from him but these are the breaks

i really have a problem with the bolded.

was he the exception and not the rule?

but him wanting it to be the rule....he wrong?

you see how he cant win?
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

his tone was at times paternalistic and condescending.....different from when he spoke to other audiences

it matters and is problematic because it perpetuated the myth that blk ppl, blk culture does not value education same as non blks and is more morally bankrupt than other cultures, races

given that he was the president of the united states and his words reach millions of ppl, it was problematic

So then we as a community need to be pacified?? He's a black man that, contrary to some peoples opinion, understands black plight in America. Being a successful black man in america and leader of the free world at the time, I think his opinion on things would matter. But I'll take the bait: how should a black man address black people about black problems? Given your profile name, I assume you're a black woman. Speak on it....

i refuse to be pacified.

i often bring this up....all this tough talk, beat a ? ass...record a chick being beat up, shoot up the mall, i bust my guns...? wont punk me, im not a ? talk....im from bedstuy the toughest of the tough hood and i walk around at 1am with a pocket full of money an no one will touch me because i got respect in these street....

where is all that ? ?

you mean to tell me, a few words hurt? a few words about bettering your situation is offensive? not the ? gunning for you cuz you wear red..not the latin kings or the tainos...but saying turn off the tv...that hurts and is offensive?

for you sensitive ? .....this aint all black people.

feel better?

its not about hurt feelings

i'm concerned with pushing back against the narrative that the measurable disadvantages blk face are caused by something other than structural racism

so i rather we not arm ppl with malicious intent with the ammo to further frame blks as deficient and pathological

because fact is, we don't live in a vacuum, bubble....

• ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »
    We scold because we love. If you don't give a ? you don't waste your breath.

this is simple yet the most powerful post in the history of the IC.

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

if you know someone wants better for you...you will take it as encouragement

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love

Obama has been where they are...they have not been where he is.

he can say what it takes to get out

those people cant tell him how to do better.

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about

was he not in chicago?

do you have to struggle to know what it is to be a black man?

whats the difference between a black man from hawaii and a black man from chicago?

nothing

But how can a person speak on the conditions of someone struggling if they never struggled themselves?

Bruh, all struggle doesn't have to be financial. You're a black man, I assume. So u should know that. Money wouldn't change how you're perceived in America. C'mon bruh

The money will insulate you from a lot of their ?

you think so?

please tell me how.

cause from what a few on this site will say.....just cuz you have a few dollars you still a ? .

now you telling me cuz i have a few dollars i aint a ? ?

which is it?

If you get unlawfully arrested won't you have money for lawyers and bail?
    If they try to gentrify your neighborhood by raising property taxes won't you have the money to pay it?
    If they are underfunding your kids school won't you be able to afford private?
    If all that's in the community is junk food can't you afford to go to whole foods?
    And I never said having a few dollars don't make you a ? in their eyes I just said it will insulate you from some of their ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    No one is questioning his blackness but we are saying the environment he was raised in was different. it afforded him opportunities the median African American (descendant of a slave) didn't have.
    Lineage matters, while his grandmother was VP at a Hawaii bank, on the mainland where would the grandmother of a man his age be working?

How many black families that are descendants of slaves will inherit $500k from their grandmother which means he was getting broke off during his life, how many have the Harvard alum box checked off?

Michelle's story is more in line with the median African American family

bruh....maybe changing your enviroment or location will show you just how much opportunity is available.

if you at a job that aint going nowhere...maybe you should change jobs.

only you can help you be better.

an this aint about looking down on anyone...i am saying its a big world out there. money for everyone.

everywhere i have been i seen africans trying to go get it. fearless in the face of white people.

so when i see that, i know we can do it.

somalians and ethopian float here to europe on rafts and makeshift boats.

seeing that ? with my own eyes is some very humbling ? .
    then i go back to philly and ? dont even want to go into jobcorp a few towns over.

we are better than that. i know it and i can see it.

You can't change where you start but you can where you finish, however where you start can determine how fast or likely it is you will cross the line. I get it though, men gotta do better, sistas been carrying the burden for a while

and thats all we are saying...

we cant blackball a brother because he was born into money....

what matters is will he look over his shoulder to say come with me to get this or help in some sorta way.

alot of black men was born into money and fukked it up. would that make them black enough or the average black man at that point?

if you dream big and plan correctly and have a good work ethic,,,you can surpass a lazy ? that was born into money. you can control your own destiny. dont worry about the handicap or who cheated. that shot wont change, but with the knowledge you have of the odds....you should be prepared to navigate it.

i personally think we need to stop associating how black someone is or they aint real because their background is different.

cuz at the end of the day....white people unite for a common cause....not allowing blacks to rise...but we still fighting thru that glass ceiling they put in place and that fact we or i want more of us coming thru the broken ceiling.....

bruh ..we can do this.

there are alot of battles to fight....someone saying pull up your pants aint one of them you should want to fight.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

i refuse to be pacified.

i often bring this up....all this tough talk, beat a ? ass...record a chick being beat up, shoot up the mall, i bust my guns...? wont punk me, im not a ? talk....im from bedstuy the toughest of the tough hood and i walk around at 1am with a pocket full of money an no one will touch me because i got respect in these street....

where is all that ? ?

you mean to tell me, a few words hurt? a few words about bettering your situation is offensive? not the ? gunning for you cuz you wear red..not the latin kings or the tainos...but saying turn off the tv...that hurts and is offensive?

for you sensitive ? .....this aint all black people.

feel better?

its not about hurt feelings

i'm concerned with pushing back against the narrative that the measurable disadvantages blk face are caused by something other than structural racism

so i rather we not arm ppl with malicious intent with the ammo to further frame blks as deficient and pathological

because fact is, we don't live in a vacuum, bubble....

look at it this way...those people already had ill intentions. he aint changing there minds...their minds was already set.

but for the bolded.....

that just the way it is...

now what?

but we can not sit here and say that every person who talks about how they are held down actually was held down.

sometimes you just need to find your own path...the problems will come...thats life

but at that moment you have 1 of 2 choices.

lay down and allow them to ? on you...without even trying

or continue on your path and know you tried your best

which will you choose?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That message is often if not always delivered to the wrong black people
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about

was he not in chicago?

whats the difference between a black man from hawaii and a black man from chicago?

nothing

But how can a person speak on the conditions of someone struggling if they never struggled themselves?

Bruh, all struggle doesn't have to be financial. You're a black man, I assume. So u should know that. Money wouldn't change how you're perceived in America. C'mon bruh

you think so?

please tell me how.

cause from what a few on this site will say.....just cuz you have a few dollars you still a ? .

which is it?

If they try to gentrify your neighborhood by raising property taxes won't you have the money to pay it?
    If all that's in the community is junk food can't you afford to go to whole foods?
    And I never said having a few dollars don't make you a ? in their eyes I just said it will insulate you from some of their ?

imma ask you again to please inform me how it insulates you...i am living this and have first hand experience...so i can share quite a few things with you.

all the thing you named....

i am well aware....but only we can clean up our community, not allow the fukkery from our own, we can choose to not buy junk food, someone in the community can open up a grocery, and we can and should listen to financial literacy.

the real reason regentrification exist is because the rampant crime thats allowed to go unchecked that allows the property value to fall which then allows someone who has $400,000 instead of only affording 2 $200,00 houses....now hes able to buy 8.

cuase who wants to live around crime....but once they invest....some how the crime stops.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I think part of the issue was when/where he did some of that. Like when he gave the speech at Morehouse. That's not really the time/place for what he was saying in that speech.

Exactly

Can't understand why he would talk like that to a group of college graduates from one of the most prestigious historically black colleges in the country.......(besides Hampton, of course)

That kind of speech would be more appropriate for a group of juvenile delinquents or convicts/ex-cons trying to get their life together.

Since these kids are graduating from college, it stands to reason that they're probably on the right track for the most part.

Lol at addressing an audience full of college graduates like they're a bunch of deadbeat dads and thugs.

WTF.

0y8n7z5ck8y0.gif

He's definitely out of touch in that regard.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

you think so?

please tell me how.

which is it?

imma ask you again to please inform me how it insulates you...i am living this and have first hand experience...so i can share quite a few things with you.

i am well aware....but only we can clean up our community, not allow the fukkery from our own, we can choose to not buy junk food, someone in the community can open up a grocery, and we can and should listen to financial literacy.

the real reason regentrification exist is because the rampant crime thats allowed to go unchecked that allows the property value to fall which then allows someone who has $400,000 instead of only affording 2 $200,00 houses....now hes able to buy 8.

cuase who wants to live around crime....but once they invest....some how the crime stops.

Wow @ the bolded.

So why does the crime exist ?

Who lets it go unchecked ? What should they do to check it ?

Do they have money to invest ? Do they even know how to invest ?

There's a lot more to that assessment.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

you think so?

please tell me how.

which is it?

I just gave some examples. A black person without money would fall victim to all of that.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    My only issue with Obama was him not doing anything about these race soldiers unjustly killing black people. Imagine if we had an Asian, Jewish, or ? president and we see race soldiers murdering any of those groups at the rate black people were getting murdered, and them not doing anything to help their own. They would've done something about that ? . And if Obama can give criticism of the black community then I can give criticism about his presidency.

two different things....

those groups are a unit....we are a unit when its convenient and even then we have ? who want to be mavericks.

Obama had a very hard job and I understand the bigger picture.

cut him some slack

He didn't cut us any slack when he sat up there and called black kids "thugs" after the Baltimore uprising, nor did he cut us slack whenever he got on his soapbox to criticize black people. Nor did he cut us slack when he saw black people get slaughtered by race soldiers and did nothing about it. Like I said before if he can criticize black people then I can criticize him.

again he is not perfect....this man has to basically steer the direction of the world. you might have been hearing frustration.

using myself.....i am often frustrated seeing some many white people barely getting by..just because of their color. being in the right place, knowing someone. whatever. yet, when i come back to my foundation, i am always questioned about dumb ? from parent, that should not even matter.

you guys are hard on obama just like the white people..is not harder.

this is why i said.....being a successful black man is the hardest job on this planet. simply because everything you do or say will be used against you to prove you aint ? .
    I'm well aware that his job was hard. But being black don't exclude him from constructive criticism.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you can deliver the same speech to wayward teenagers as you can to college graduates there's an issue.

Cant imagine white college grads getting this same speech
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

was he not in chicago?

nothing

you think so?

please tell me how.

which is it?

Wow @ the bolded.

bruh,

no snitching?
    if you snitch the block damn near turns on you an your family....
    you can tell me dudes dont be terrorizing hoods.

as far as the investment.....

when the houses are that cheap....there are multiple ways to get them....that IRS check could be a downpayment on a house...not a car.

and yes, my people know how to invest, sometimes the idea is limited not the person
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    My only issue with Obama was him not doing anything about these race soldiers unjustly killing black people. Imagine if we had an Asian, Jewish, or ? president and we see race soldiers murdering any of those groups at the rate black people were getting murdered, and them not doing anything to help their own. They would've done something about that ? . And if Obama can give criticism of the black community then I can give criticism about his presidency.

two different things....

those groups are a unit....we are a unit when its convenient and even then we have ? who want to be mavericks.

Obama had a very hard job and I understand the bigger picture.

cut him some slack

He didn't cut us any slack when he sat up there and called black kids "thugs" after the Baltimore uprising, nor did he cut us slack whenever he got on his soapbox to criticize black people. Nor did he cut us slack when he saw black people get slaughtered by race soldiers and did nothing about it. Like I said before if he can criticize black people then I can criticize him.

again he is not perfect....this man has to basically steer the direction of the world. you might have been hearing frustration.

using myself.....i am often frustrated seeing some many white people barely getting by..just because of their color. being in the right place, knowing someone. whatever. yet, when i come back to my foundation, i am always questioned about dumb ? from parent, that should not even matter.

you guys are hard on obama just like the white people..is not harder.

this is why i said.....being a successful black man is the hardest job on this planet. simply because everything you do or say will be used against you to prove you aint ? .
    I'm well aware that his job was hard. But being black don't exclude him from constructive criticism.

exactly....so it shouldnt be for those with potential either
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    If you can deliver the same speech to wayward teenagers as you can to college graduates there's an issue.

Cant imagine white college grads getting this same speech

white privilege

the speech wouldnt be needed
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Btw difference between Hawaii and Chicago - when he was getting high, would he have a criminal record in Chicago?
  • 7figz
    edited April 2017
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

you think so?

please tell me how.

which is it?

Wow @ the bolded.

bruh,

no snitching?

when the houses are that cheap....there are multiple ways to get them....that IRS check could be a downpayment on a house...not a car.

and yes, my people know how to invest, sometimes the idea is limited not the person

I would like proof of the theory that "no snitching" is why crime exists in poor / Black neighborhoods, because I can almost swear that a crime would have had to already have happened for someone to have something to "snitch" about. Not to mention the countless crimes that happen, that there are no witnesses or for.... then there's also the fact that a lot of MFs already do talk to cops.

Investment - Are most people in those neighborhoods educated about investing ? And a lot of people need a car for work, or can't even afford a car, or just don't have money like that.

• blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama not your homeboy

He on the other side

You should be critical of everything he says.

Black skin, white masks

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Btw difference between Hawaii and Chicago - when he was getting high, would he have a criminal record in Chicago?

hes still a black man....we are guilty and must prove our innocence.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

you think so?

please tell me how.

which is it?

Wow @ the bolded.

bruh,

no snitching?

I would like proof of the theory that "no snitching" is why crime exists in poor / Black neighborhoods, because I can almost swear that a crime would have had to already happened for someone to have something to "snitch" about. Not to mention the countless crimes that happen, that there are no witnesses or for.... then there's also the fact that a lot of MFs already do talk to cops.

Investment - Are most people in those neighborhoods educated about investing ? And a lot of people need a car for work, or can't even afford a car, or just don't have money like that.

there was always crime in any poor area.....but how likely would someone continue to do crime if they knew no one would talk?

an why do you think there are no witnesses....cause they dont want to snitch.

are people educated about investment, mostly likely not. but to own a house can be an investment.

as for the car....do you really need a 2018 ultima? or just a car to get to work and around.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very interesting comments on both sides

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »

I think part of the issue was when/where he did some of that. Like when he gave the speech at Morehouse. That's not really the time/place for what he was saying in that speech.

Exactly

Can't understand why he would talk like that to a group of college graduates from one of the most prestigious historically black colleges in the country.......(besides Hampton, of course)

That kind of speech would be more appropriate for a group of juvenile delinquents or convicts/ex-cons trying to get their life together.

Since these kids are graduating from college, it stands to reason that they're probably on the right track for the most part.

Lol at addressing an audience full of college graduates like they're a bunch of deadbeat dads and thugs.

WTF.

0y8n7z5ck8y0.gif

He's definitely out of touch in that regard.

Allow to speak to that speech, as I was actually there. He was speaking to black men at our institution to highlight that, while graduating is dope and this was an all male college of African American men, that was not a microcosm of the country. Obama always used moments that he knew would be captured as teachable moments. I can tell u this: none if my Morehouse brothers were offended by that speech.

By the way, Hampton ain't even the real HU. LMAO I'm joking. It's all HBCU love fam
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    ? acting like ? with degrees cant be aint ? dudes
  • 7figz
    edited April 2017
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

you think so?

please tell me how.

which is it?

Wow @ the bolded.

bruh,

no snitching?

I would like proof of the theory that "no snitching" is why crime exists in poor / Black neighborhoods, because I can almost swear that a crime would have had to already happened for someone to have something to "snitch" about. Not to mention the countless crimes that happen, that there are no witnesses or for.... then there's also the fact that a lot of MFs already do talk to cops.

there was always crime in any poor area.....but how likely would someone continue to do crime if they knew no one would talk?

an why do you think there are no witnesses....cause they dont want to snitch.

are people educated about investment, mostly likely not. but to own a house can be an investment.

as for the car....do you really need a 2018 ultima? or just a car to get to work and around.

No actually, crimes do happen where there are no witnesses. Nobody actually saw what happened, knows what happened, etc.. etc... It's not always that somebody saw it and ain't talking like they try to make it sound.

As far as the investment stuff, it's seems pretty well-known that a lot of people aren't financially educated so they don't even have knowledge of how they're supposed to be investing.

Backtracking to the original topic though, I think there's more crime in "poor neighborhoods" in general just as a matter of logic.