Old article: Obama’s scolding tone with black audiences is getting old...and a few comments

Options
1235»

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »
    We scold because we love. If you don't give a ? you don't waste your breath.

this is simple yet the most powerful post in the history of the IC.

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

if you know someone wants better for you...you will take it as encouragement

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love

Obama has been where they are...they have not been where he is.

he can say what it takes to get out

those people cant tell him how to do better.

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about

was he not in chicago?

do you have to struggle to know what it is to be a black man?

whats the difference between a black man from hawaii and a black man from chicago?

nothing

But how can a person speak on the conditions of someone struggling if they never struggled themselves?

Bruh, all struggle doesn't have to be financial. You're a black man, I assume. So u should know that. Money wouldn't change how you're perceived in America. C'mon bruh

The money will insulate you from a lot of their ?

you think so?

please tell me how.

cause from what a few on this site will say.....just cuz you have a few dollars you still a ? .

now you telling me cuz i have a few dollars i aint a ? ?

which is it?

If you get unlawfully arrested won't you have money for lawyers and bail?
    If they try to gentrify your neighborhood by raising property taxes won't you have the money to pay it?
    If they are underfunding your kids school won't you be able to afford private?
    If all that's in the community is junk food can't you afford to go to whole foods?
    And I never said having a few dollars don't make you a ? in their eyes I just said it will insulate you from some of their ?

imma ask you again to please inform me how it insulates you...i am living this and have first hand experience...so i can share quite a few things with you.

all the thing you named....

i am well aware....but only we can clean up our community, not allow the fukkery from our own, we can choose to not buy junk food, someone in the community can open up a grocery, and we can and should listen to financial literacy.

the real reason regentrification exist is because the rampant crime thats allowed to go unchecked that allows the property value to fall which then allows someone who has $400,000 instead of only affording 2 $200,00 houses....now hes able to buy 8.

cuase who wants to live around crime....but once they invest....some how the crime stops.

Wow @ the bolded.

So why does the crime exist ?

Who lets it go unchecked ? What should they do to check it ?

Do they have money to invest ? Do they even know how to invest ?

There's a lot more to that assessment.

bruh,

no snitching?
    if you snitch the block damn near turns on you an your family....
    you can tell me dudes dont be terrorizing hoods.

as far as the investment.....

when the houses are that cheap....there are multiple ways to get them....that IRS check could be a downpayment on a house...not a car.

and yes, my people know how to invest, sometimes the idea is limited not the person

I would like proof of the theory that "no snitching" is why crime exists in poor / Black neighborhoods, because I can almost swear that a crime would have had to already happened for someone to have something to "snitch" about. Not to mention the countless crimes that happen, that there are no witnesses or for.... then there's also the fact that a lot of MFs already do talk to cops.

Investment - Are most people in those neighborhoods educated about investing ? And a lot of people need a car for work, or can't even afford a car, or just don't have money like that.

there was always crime in any poor area.....but how likely would someone continue to do crime if they knew no one would talk?

an why do you think there are no witnesses....cause they dont want to snitch.

are people educated about investment, mostly likely not. but to own a house can be an investment.

as for the car....do you really need a 2018 ultima? or just a car to get to work and around.

No actually, crimes do happen where are there are no witnesses to the crime. Nobody actually saw what happened, knows what happened, etc.. etc... It's not always that somebody saw it and ain't talking like they try to make it sound.

As far as the investment stuff, it's seems pretty well-known that a lot of people aren't financially educated so they don't even have knowledge of how they're supposed to be investing.

Backtracking to the original topic though, I think there's more crime in "poor neighborhoods" in general just as a matter of logic.

of course some crime happen an no one sees them. thats a given. but the no snitching help ? along at light speed.

as far as crime....thats always going to be crime. you cant stop it...an if poor people are committing crimes to eat...you cant really blame them but so much. i am speaking more along the lines of opportunity. some ? is done just because it can be done and wont be challenged.

this is where i look at the men of the community.

they should be the ones to stop this fukkery. the ? hurts everyone
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

Why do people keep putting every black person in a box? The black community is not just bad neighborhoods you know? There are plenty of good black neighborhoods that still face the same problems due to the racist system in place. Every black person is not living in the conditions of Chicago or Detroit. No one has complained about what Obama didn't do, they complained about what he said. See the difference. You also contradicted yourself and keep bringing up that stupid vote ? when people voted for Obama. Did you forget he did two terms and ? was still the same?
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

Why do you ? ass ? keep putting us in one bag? While leaving yourself out of it.

Lol oh u took offense to something I wrote?? Speak on it. I never claim to be perfect but I also have never went out of my way to ? up my life and blame others for it. I've stated this before and I'll continue to believe it: whites are the devil that will NEVER have our best interests at heart.

So now that we've established that since being in America, should we just die?? Should we continue to disenfranchise ourselves?? What can u do specifically to change your circumstances?? It's ? that I've done that are missteps. Everyone has. But multiple kids by multiple women?? Going to jail?? Not getting an education?? Then complaining about low job prospects? That's never been in my make up bruh. All 3 of those things increase the likelihood of poverty. Obama wasn't gone change that for u

Yeah because every black person fits those description. Get your wack ass outta here.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why do people keep putting every black person in a box? The black community is not just bad neighborhoods you know? There are plenty of good black neighborhoods that still face the same problems due to the racist system in place. Every black person is not living in the conditions of Chicago or Detroit. No one has complained about what Obama didn't do, they complained about what he said. See the difference. You also contradicted yourself and keep bringing up that stupid vote ? when people voted for Obama. Did you forget he did two terms and ? was still the same?

Why do you ? ass ? keep putting us in one bag? While leaving yourself out of it.

Lol oh u took offense to something I wrote?? Speak on it. I never claim to be perfect but I also have never went out of my way to ? up my life and blame others for it. I've stated this before and I'll continue to believe it: whites are the devil that will NEVER have our best interests at heart.

So now that we've established that since being in America, should we just die?? Should we continue to disenfranchise ourselves?? What can u do specifically to change your circumstances?? It's ? that I've done that are missteps. Everyone has. But multiple kids by multiple women?? Going to jail?? Not getting an education?? Then complaining about low job prospects? That's never been in my make up bruh. All 3 of those things increase the likelihood of poverty. Obama wasn't gone change that for u

Yeah because every black person fits those description. Get your wack ass outta here.

You read what I posted and got that I feel every black person (myself being black) fits the descriptions discussed and that I was putting everyone in one bag..... you know what? U got it. Its not worth the words. Take it easy
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I understand the backlash in the slew of comments, even if the speech was supposedly well-intentioned.

It does get repetitive and perhaps unnecessary / counterproductive talking at Black people all the time in some accusatory / derogatory tone, especially when not having assessed that it's the appropriate audience being addressed, or even that your statements are correct / generalizing / stereotypes.

For instance, one person says to a Black man: "Black men need to stop having multiple baby mamas on welfare, living in their mama's basement, with they pants sagging, on listening to Lil' Wayne"... not even considering that the Black man they're talking to might be taking care of his one kid (or doesn't have any kids), never received public assistance, doesn't listen to Lil' Wayne, has a college degree, has his own place, etc.... etc... and even knows several other responsible Black men.

So then it becomes, "Look, who the ? are you talking to ? Why I gotta listen to this ? everyday ? Talk to those Black men you're referring to and stop talking ? as if all Black men are like this - that ? is played. Do people address all white men by saying, Y'all need to stop shooting up schools ? dammit."

Actually yes..yes we do address white folks like this...hence the tendency to not trust a white person to not do some crazy ?
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah 2 stepz is one of those ? who might have came from the hood but he made it out and now he is looking down on you. smmfh. he's one of those ? that preach that we need to be a community ? but he lives with the white people. you hear what im saying? he's no better than a ? who says he gives his time back to the community but i cant live there because its to many "? in a barrel" and "snakes" to live in the hood anymore. i done elevated beyond that. gtfohwtbs. you a sell out bruh. plain and simple. just eat the ? either fast or slow. however you choose.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Very interesting comments on both sides

True

I'll just say once Trump and the Republicans are done cutting,gutting, and over turning laws,policies,executive orders, programs,etc passed, signed and initiated by Obama

In 4 or 8 years from now many will have a better idea of what Obama did when he was President
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I understand the backlash in the slew of comments, even if the speech was supposedly well-intentioned.

It does get repetitive and perhaps unnecessary / counterproductive talking at Black people all the time in some accusatory / derogatory tone, especially when not having assessed that it's the appropriate audience being addressed, or even that your statements are correct / generalizing / stereotypes.

For instance, one person says to a Black man: "Black men need to stop having multiple baby mamas on welfare, living in their mama's basement, with they pants sagging, on listening to Lil' Wayne"... not even considering that the Black man they're talking to might be taking care of his one kid (or doesn't have any kids), never received public assistance, doesn't listen to Lil' Wayne, has a college degree, has his own place, etc.... etc... and even knows several other responsible Black men.

So then it becomes, "Look, who the ? are you talking to ? Why I gotta listen to this ? everyday ? Talk to those Black men you're referring to and stop talking ? as if all Black men are like this - that ? is played. Do people address all white men by saying, Y'all need to stop shooting up schools ? dammit."

Actually yes..yes we do address white folks like this...hence the tendency to not trust a white person to not do some crazy ?

Yeah - when we're talking to each other, Black people talking about ? white people do.

But what I mean is are we getting up and lecturing white people based on negative stereotypes - like them shooting up schools or how their women teachers always smashing students ?

Not quite, but it's supposed to be acceptable to always lecture any Black man (or group of men) about having multiple BMs, sagging pants, doing drugs, not being in their children's life, sippin lean, crime or whatever the ? stereotypes a MF might have in mind.

BTW this is not equivalent to saying problems in the Black community can't be addressed.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ? acting like ? with degrees cant be aint ? dudes

Wasn't saying that at all.

But it wasn't what I thought it was after hearing what @manofmorehouse 's firsthand account of the actual speech:

Allow to speak to that speech, as I was actually there. He was speaking to black men at our institution to highlight that, while graduating is dope and this was an all male college of African American men, that was not a microcosm of the country.

I can tell u this: none if my Morehouse brothers were offended by that speech.

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This right here is 100% facts. Thats what these uppity Obama loving negros dont get. Yea we have a portion of black folks struggling. But what about the ones who went to school, dont have multiple bm's, go to work & take care of their responsibilities everyday? Why does this ? alwayz speak to the dysfunctional portion of black america, as if ALL of us are welfare recipients. Thats why i take offense to Obama's finger wagging to black ppl. The same ? will NEVER call out white america on their BLATANT racism towards not only us, but Obama himself & his family (Calling Michelle a monkey etc). These are the same ppl that put the chief white supremacist in office Donald Trump.

Bottom line, all black folks aint bottom feeders. Obama needs to stop feeding dumb stereotypes
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ineedpussy wrote: »
    yeah 2 stepz is one of those ? who might have came from the hood but he made it out and now he is looking down on you. smmfh. he's one of those ? that preach that we need to be a community ? but he lives with the white people. you hear what im saying? he's no better than a ? who says he gives his time back to the community but i cant live there because its to many "? in a barrel" and "snakes" to live in the hood anymore. i done elevated beyond that. gtfohwtbs. you a sell out bruh. plain and simple. just eat the ? either fast or slow. however you choose.

you trailing behind me again snickering?

you are the type dude that tries his best to keep everyone FROM elevating themselves.

your own comments are dumb

did you even read what you said?

come to the community to help, but dont want to live there?

why should I? already grew up there?

an because i dont live there, i cant come back to help?

an you are there and doing what exactly?

sounds like you saying im too good...i never said that, but thank you for the compliment

but real talk...its ? like you that stop people who want to help those who want it. people aint got to prove ? to you, if they already there wanting to help. you see how that works. but then ? like you want to then point out, how no one wants to help.

you have nothing constructive to say but want to try to point out how someone aint ? ...

does that make you feel better? this game you wont win.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    That message is often if not always delivered to the wrong black people

maybe those wrong black people can take to those who need it...but didnt show up