Big Baller Brand Didn’t Sell Nearly As Many Lonzo Ball Shoes As Initially Reported

Options

Comments

• 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    If Lavar changed had an attitude adjustment tho he'd be on the cover of Fortune and Slam. His attitude hurt the rollout in the beginning. That's why social media is trolling him. He needs more humility but I understand why he's doing it this way.

i like how he is. hes like that ? ass uncle at the cookout talkin ? all day. end of the day, his antics keep people talking.

if this shoe takes off, itll prob give him some head room for an "entry level" shoe. but right now you can guarantee mfs are buying that shoe just to say/show they have it or can...because he threw that you aint a baller if...? .

im surprised he hasnt had any "issues" come up yet lol.

"in 2002, he gave a racist look to a grocery store cashier"

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? wasnt even over the top...for him
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She was trying to create a storyline. "Maybe a disconnect between Lavar and Lonzo" based on the angle of her questions that's the narrative she was pushing for.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    What the Ball family is doing should be lauded and is commendable. However, how Lavar is doing it should not. He's not coming across as genuine, or particularly intelligent. ? , the ? damn near trolling his way to success. He seems opportunistic, overbearing, and just an all-around nuisance. You don't alienate a potential consumer base by saying they don't fit your brand's criteria because they don't have the money to pay for your unproven son's shoe. That's ? stupid.

As far as his son bearing the brunt of his father's obnoxiousness when he gets to the league, I don't know how it'll pan out. I do know he's no LeBron. LeBron was/is truly an anomaly. His body build, fundamental skill set, athleticism and basketball iq were already off the charts before he even got to the league. The potential bust factor for Bron was way smaller than it is for Lonzo. I saw Bron play in hs, and I already knew he was different.

I say that to say this: Lonzo ain't even close to being a LeBron-caliber player, so every target that's on you is not the same as the next man's, nor are the abilities to deal with said target. His shot is ? weird and will be hindered if not tended to. He's not particularly athletic or quick. He's an ok passer. Not really that strong and he needs to hit the weight room. Defense is lacking, and he hasn't really shown us anything that we haven't seen a million times by people that are better than him and still have faltered at the next level.

At this point, he's just a good college player that has to prove he can cut it for himself, and his idiot father. Would there be pressure on him without his pop wylin' out all the time? Undoubtedly. Should he hafta deal with extra pressure when he wasn't even the one that created it? No.

Someone needs to tell the dad to chill and that he's coming across like a selfish leech.
    You make a lot of good points but there is already pressure when a player enters the draft and more when they play in the league. So this stuff about extra pressure is pointless.

He has the right idea to control his son's brand as a family since no player has control and the companies are in charge of everything. If he succeeds and I hope he does this would open up doors for other players to control their own brand and take the power away from these white companies.

All I see are other black people beung negative and criticising this man instead of rooting for him when he has the right idea. I said before, if I was an athlete I would do the same so that I retain ownership of my brand and name instead of letting a company like Nike own me the way Jordan did.

After Jordan is long dead the descendents of Nike will still be rich from his name. Lavar saying you ain't a baller if you can't afford it is no different than white companies charging high prices just because they can. Now cause a black man does it makes it a problem?

I don't think there are many black people that want to see him fail. His success or failure has no bearing on my life whatsoever. I think black people are criticizing him because he's making it more difficult for himself to succeed. If you have the blueprint for success, why the hell would you take the more circuitous route and expose yourself to more chances for failure?

As far as "extra pressure", maybe it should be worded as outside pressure. As in, outside of pressure pertaining to basketball; or distractions. Instead of Lonzo working on his defense, improving his shot, and fielding questions related to his game, msm is more focused on his father and asking him questions related to that. It's unnecessary and unfair for an emerging athlete to hafta deal with stuff like that. Especially when that stuff can be easily prevented.

The shoes are actually a subplot to me though; a microcosm of the larger issue. I'm looking at this from the pov of a father to a son, and the more important issue pertains to the effects that Lavar's actions will have on his sons.

As long as he loyal to his son and they keep a freat relationship. I don't have an issue with how he conducts himself. Trump and his daddy were actually discriminating against people and succeeded from it. History shows you can have a bad public perception and be successful yet it is held against blacks. Dana White as a business owner said and did things much worse than Lavar and the UFC is bigger than ever.

Are you a father? And if you are, would you purposely make your child's life more difficult than it needed to be?
    How is he making his child's life difficult though? I would encourage my child to to believe in their self and go all out like Lavar is doing. My personality is different but I would be as aggressive.

Your son is being made into a bad guy, but not because of his own doing.

There's a difference between being smart and aggressive and being boorish and aggressive. Sometimes the lines may blur, but the smart person can maneuver through these instances a lot more covertly.

I'm tired of this ? though. It is what it is. We all have our opinions.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Folk will diss him for pricing his shoes for $500 but go out and buy Jordans for $300+ every release for different colourways on 31 shoes SMMFH.....

The idiocracy wasn't just a movie....

0t0o88bo35v1.gif

Would you spend 50,000$ on a Chengfeng luxury sedan(a relatively new company)

or

50,000$ on a BMW/Mercedes/Audi.....?
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man im scared trump about to fire spicer and hire this dude lol i dont got no problem about the shoes but least wait to see if ya son really gonna ball like that
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole interview needs to be posted because the stuff in this thread seems to be chopped up a bit.

Lavar handled the interview bad but I found it funny that what I seen she took as a threat.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the Ball family is doing should be lauded and is commendable. However, how Lavar is doing it should not. He's not coming across as genuine, or particularly intelligent. ? , the ? damn near trolling his way to success. He seems opportunistic, overbearing, and just an all-around nuisance. You don't alienate a potential consumer base by saying they don't fit your brand's criteria because they don't have the money to pay for your unproven son's shoe. That's ? stupid.

As far as his son bearing the brunt of his father's obnoxiousness when he gets to the league, I don't know how it'll pan out. I do know he's no LeBron. LeBron was/is truly an anomaly. His body build, fundamental skill set, athleticism and basketball iq were already off the charts before he even got to the league. The potential bust factor for Bron was way smaller than it is for Lonzo. I saw Bron play in hs, and I already knew he was different.

I say that to say this: Lonzo ain't even close to being a LeBron-caliber player, so every target that's on you is not the same as the next man's, nor are the abilities to deal with said target. His shot is ? weird and will be hindered if not tended to. He's not particularly athletic or quick. He's an ok passer. Not really that strong and he needs to hit the weight room. Defense is lacking, and he hasn't really shown us anything that we haven't seen a million times by people that are better than him and still have faltered at the next level.

At this point, he's just a good college player that has to prove he can cut it for himself, and his idiot father. Would there be pressure on him without his pop wylin' out all the time? Undoubtedly. Should he hafta deal with extra pressure when he wasn't even the one that created it? No.

Someone needs to tell the dad to chill and that he's coming across like a selfish leech.
    You make a lot of good points but there is already pressure when a player enters the draft and more when they play in the league. So this stuff about extra pressure is pointless.

He has the right idea to control his son's brand as a family since no player has control and the companies are in charge of everything. If he succeeds and I hope he does this would open up doors for other players to control their own brand and take the power away from these white companies.

All I see are other black people beung negative and criticising this man instead of rooting for him when he has the right idea. I said before, if I was an athlete I would do the same so that I retain ownership of my brand and name instead of letting a company like Nike own me the way Jordan did.

After Jordan is long dead the descendents of Nike will still be rich from his name. Lavar saying you ain't a baller if you can't afford it is no different than white companies charging high prices just because they can. Now cause a black man does it makes it a problem?

I don't think there are many black people that want to see him fail. His success or failure has no bearing on my life whatsoever. I think black people are criticizing him because he's making it more difficult for himself to succeed. If you have the blueprint for success, why the hell would you take the more circuitous route and expose yourself to more chances for failure?

As far as "extra pressure", maybe it should be worded as outside pressure. As in, outside of pressure pertaining to basketball; or distractions. Instead of Lonzo working on his defense, improving his shot, and fielding questions related to his game, msm is more focused on his father and asking him questions related to that. It's unnecessary and unfair for an emerging athlete to hafta deal with stuff like that. Especially when that stuff can be easily prevented.

The shoes are actually a subplot to me though; a microcosm of the larger issue. I'm looking at this from the pov of a father to a son, and the more important issue pertains to the effects that Lavar's actions will have on his sons.

As long as he loyal to his son and they keep a freat relationship. I don't have an issue with how he conducts himself. Trump and his daddy were actually discriminating against people and succeeded from it. History shows you can have a bad public perception and be successful yet it is held against blacks. Dana White as a business owner said and did things much worse than Lavar and the UFC is bigger than ever.

Are you a father? And if you are, would you purposely make your child's life more difficult than it needed to be?
    How is he making his child's life difficult though? I would encourage my child to to believe in their self and go all out like Lavar is doing. My personality is different but I would be as aggressive.

Your son is being made into a bad guy, but not because of his own doing.

There's a difference between being smart and aggressive and being boorish and aggressive. Sometimes the lines may blur, but the smart person can maneuver through these instances a lot more covertly.

I'm tired of this ? though. It is what it is. We all have our opinions.

The bold is not happening though. None of what his father is doing will effect him negatively. That perception only applied to blacks for some reason when Lavar is not even doing anything wrong. Opinions do not equal facts btw. We just disagree.
  • SELASI_i
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Remember that 30for 30 on Todd Marinovich the QB who his dad trained since birth. The boy who never ate fast food and practiced and trained every since he could crawl? The point is (he was a bust anyway) his dad wasn't villified, true enough his father didn't get into the business side but they let him cook.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Yall dad bomani jones jumpn to cacs side...another ? exposed fake
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    Yall dad bomani jones jumpn to cacs side...another ? exposed fake

Been knowing he was a studio gangasta

this why ? aint ? ....

no loyalty.

all goes out the window when you disagree with A(as in 1) statement
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

but is he really loyal to his son or greedy for the money and using his son for some sorta vendetta against the system?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

???

? his kid aint doing that tho nor is that his media focus.

he's making so 1 bad game gonna come down hard on his kid..
    2 bad games an they write him off

3 bad games....they might be calling fraud and trade.

you don't put your child in that situation. even if your child is feeling themselves... as a father you check them and make them humble.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I said before and will say it again.

black people looking to win soo bad,

they will latch onto anything
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

but is he really loyal to his son or greedy for the money and using his son for some sorta vendetta against the system?

You the one that defend bad and dead beat dads. Now you got something against a father pushing his son's brand at an early stage? I don't see how he isn't loyal when he has been in his son's corner since day one. Come on you smarter than that. He will make money just being a dad since Lonzo will take care of his dad. You going too hard at this guy for no reason. You almost sound jealous b. Then you defending Cosby for the foul ? he did. Really?
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

He should of got on his Mike Tyson ? and said he doesn't do interviews with women unless he fornicates with them
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all see why I said I hope LA drafts him.....Var can't bring that ? to Philly, especially if Drake Ball out on the court ? up. The Sixer fanbase would run up on duke somewhere around the All-Star game, just cause they'd be tired of his ? .

Having said, ? that chick for trying to take the Femtep route on this, and it's ALWAYS ? Coonlock for his tap dancing.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dislike everyone in the situation
    Lavar - need to tone down the braggadocio
    Cowherd - typical will Cain arrogant white male
    The chick - played it perfectly to get sympathy from women and the ? that love their cave ?
    Whitlock - wrong 9/10

Lavar got a cave ?
  • SELASI_i
    Options
    The chick - played it perfectly to get sympathy from women and the ? that love their cave ?
    Whitlock - wrong 9/10

Oh bets believe they always do this. Put on a ? show where everyone on the panel is full of ? then create a moral debate off it when everybody is basically wrong. Making the viewer either side with ? or horse ? . All options look bad.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Whitlock - wrong 9/10

Lavar got a cave ?

Could he live in Chino Hills w/o one?

Lmao.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options