Whats Wrong With Being Regionally Biased?

Options
1235»

Comments

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Now compare that to the 100 best albums from the other 47 states.

But the west has 4 of the best 5 rap albums ever

Straight Outta Compton, Death Certificate, The Chronic and ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than anything on @5grand 's list. Whenever your list starts with 5 albums from the least original and biggest bitter ever your list aint ? .

Me against the world, illmatic, all eyez on Me, 7 day theory, ?

New York has strength in numbers and probably more great albums than other regions....but grand likes to act like there isn't great albums from other regions that top many of the top new York albums

Hence the problem with being regionally biased

Pac is my favorite rapper of all time, but there's just no way he gets 3 of his albums in the top 5.

How can't he? Because you just don't want to give it to the same person? Because all the albums are worthy

Objectively speaking, I don't believe all 3 of those albums are better/more influential/more innovative than It Takes A Nation..., Death Certificate, Straight Outta, Paid In Full, Low End Theory, and ? , which all can be brought up in any top 5 album debate. The only constant being Illmatic.

Don't waste your time arguing with that idiot.

You can have a discussion without arguing ?
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Straight Outta Compton, Death Certificate, The Chronic and ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than anything on @5grand 's list. Whenever your list starts with 5 albums from the least original and biggest bitter ever your list aint ? .

New York has strength in numbers and probably more great albums than other regions....but grand likes to act like there isn't great albums from other regions that top many of the top new York albums

Pac is my favorite rapper of all time, but there's just no way he gets 3 of his albums in the top 5.

How can't he? Because you just don't want to give it to the same person? Because all the albums are worthy

Objectively speaking, I don't believe all 3 of those albums are better/more influential/more innovative than It Takes A Nation..., Death Certificate, Straight Outta, Paid In Full, Low End Theory, and ? , which all can be brought up in any top 5 album debate. The only constant being Illmatic.

I have ? top 5 and death certificate top 10.....to me the other 3 aren't in the convo for top 5 though

Btw do me a favor...i was in the land a few weeks ago....go tell the rock n roll hall of fame they need more Tupac stuff...his exhibit was underwhelming for a new hall of famer

? the R&R HoF. And to not recognize what the other albums have done for the genre is ignorance at best and disingenuous at worst.
  • bck145
    Options

I have ? top 5 and death certificate top 10.....to me the other 3 aren't in the convo for top 5 though

Btw do me a favor...i was in the land a few weeks ago....go tell the rock n roll hall of fame they need more Tupac stuff...his exhibit was underwhelming for a new hall of famer

? the R&R HoF. And to not recognize what the other albums have done for the genre is ignorance at best and disingenuous at worst.

Not ranking them at the top doesn't mean they aren't being recognized
  • Like Water
    Options

So what you're telling me is all 3 of Pac's albums are more innovative and influential than It Takes A Nation and Paid In Full?

Uh, no. No ? way. Trust me. I like Pac's albums more, but to disregard what others have done for genre of music you love makes you a half-ass fan. It makes you look purposely ignorant and is the base argument for why young hip-hop fans aren't meant to be taken seriously.
  • bck145
    edited June 2017
    Options

So what you're telling me is all 3 of Pac's albums are more innovative and influential than It Takes A Nation and Paid In Full?

Uh, no. No ? way. Trust me. I like Pac's albums more, but to disregard what others have done for genre of music you love makes you a half-ass fan. It makes you look purposely ignorant and is the base argument for why young hip-hop fans aren't meant to be taken seriously.

I'm saying they are better albums....im not ranking my favorite albums based on influence or innovative....its what I feel is the most enjoyable to listen to

Paid in full is highly influential....but that doesn't mean it's one of the best albums ever...me saying that doesn't mean it's not a classic....you guys gotta realize there's a middle ground to ? ...its not just all great or all trash...thats an asinine way of thinking

I'm also probably one of the older posters on the site
  • Like Water
    Options

I'm saying they are better albums....im not ranking my favorite albums based on influence or innovative....its what I feel is the most enjoyable to listen to

Paid in full is highly influential....but that doesn't mean it's one of the best albums ever....thats an asinine way of thinking

My personal top 5, 10, anything, and what I believe to be a true top 5 are inherently different. Yeah, they coincide to an extent, but not always. But when I argue the standard/precedent for hip-hop, in terms of goat ? , I step outside of my personal biases because it gets in the way of objectivity.

Top 5 for me is as much about innovation and influence as it is listenability.
  • bck145
    edited June 2017
    Options

Paid in full is highly influential....but that doesn't mean it's one of the best albums ever....thats an asinine way of thinking

My personal top 5, 10, anything, and what I believe to be a true top 5 are inherently different. Yeah, they coincide to an extent, but not always. But when I argue the standard/precedent for hip-hop, in terms of goat ? , I step outside of my personal biases because it gets in the way of objectivity.

Top 5 for me is as much about innovation and influence as it is listenability.

Why would i ever rank something that I don't enjoy as much just because of what it did for the culture....im always going to go off what was influential to me...thats the beauty of music

I can still recognize what other albums did for the culture and still really like the albums but....take early ice cube for example...theres an obvious public enemy influence but I would rather listen to his albums than it takes a nation...so they get ranked higher
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • trendsetta1030
    trendsetta1030 Members Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you just proved my point. i intentionally left pac off the goat albums list b/c it wouldn't be fair to sick him on the east coast again. it's 2017 and they still haven't recovered from the damage he did from 94-96. even with leaving pac off we can still have a debate about which 4 west coast albums are better than anything on @5grand 's ? list and have nonstop material to choose from. anyone from the east coast who is honest with themselves know they cant do the same.

and for whatever it's worth im from the south and my favorite music is west coast ? from the 90s with southern ? from the 90s-00s behind and east coast ? prior to '92 coming in third. we never tripped on that regional bias ? . we just ? with good music down here. outside of dmx and big nothing out of ny was worth listening to after the west coast and southern take overs. dj quik, daz, warren g and dr. dre's beautiful compositions ended that boom bap ? forever. organized noise, beats by the pound, no joe, the neptunes, kanye, cool and dre, dj tump, etc further validated that point. more options and better music rendered that east coast ? obsolete.

Big was more influenced by the west then the east they formatted ready 2 die off ? facts… ny top 5 always go like this big jayz nas x______ x_____ facts… cmon son b ny is done
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I listed 100 albums from 2000 onwards. You're only argument is Straight Outta Compton, Death Certificate, 7 Day Theory, Me Against The World, All Eyes On Me and ?

Newsflash, all of those albums came out before 2000.

If you want to discuss albums that were released before 2000 we can do that too.

Stop moving the goalpost.
  • bck145
    edited June 2017
    Options

I listed 100 albums from 2000 onwards. You're only argument is Straight Outta Compton, Death Certificate, 7 Day Theory, Me Against The World, All Eyes On Me and ?

If you want to discuss albums that were released before 2000 we can do that too.

Ain't no one moving the goal post....i wasn't talking 2000 onwards i was merely saying you can't act like new York is the only region putting out exceptional music if they don't hold the crown for the top albums ever

Someone could successfully argue kendrick has had the best album of the last 5 years if not the best 2 albums

Plus your list was just a list of 100....most of which weren't classic albums...just anything you could think of
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So what is the debate?

I named 50+ rappers that I thought were dope and I said you could put the rappers I named up against the other 47 states.

Then somebody said it had to be from 2000 onwards, so I listed 100 albums from 2000 onwards.

I don't understand what the disagreement is.

Is somebody going to name 50 rappers better than the rappars I named?
    Jay Z, Nas, Biggie, Wu Tang, Killah Priest, LL Cool J, Dougie Fresh, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick, Rakim, KRS One, Chuck D, Run DMC, De La Soul, Brand Nubian, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Spoonie G, MC Lyte, Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, Eve, Jean Grae, Remy Ma, Jadakiss, StylesP, Sheek Louch, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DMX, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, Camron, Big L, Ma$e, Fabulous, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Pharaoh Monch, Prodigy, Guru, Sean Price, Buckshot, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Busta Rhymes, Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, AZ, Immortal Technique, Papoose, Kid Cudi, A$AP Rocky, Joey Badass, Dave East, Troy Ave, Desiigner, Young M.A. and the list goes on.

Is somebody going to list 100 albums from the other 47 states?

1. Dynasty
    2. Blueprint
    3. BP2
    4. The Black Album
    5. American Gangster
    6. Stillmatic
    7. Lost Tapes
    8. ? 's Son
    9. Streets Disciple
    10. ?
    11. Distant Relatives
    12. Life Is Good
    13. Get Rich Or Die Trying
    14. Beg For Mercy
    15. The Massacre
    16. SDE
    17. Come Home With Me
    18. Diplomatic Immunity
    19. Purple Haze
    20. From Me To U
    21. What The Game's Been Missing
    22. On My Way To Church
    23. Harlem: Diary Of A Summer
    24. Hustler's P.O.M.E.
    25. State Property 1 Soundtrack
    26. State Property 2 Soundtrack
    27. Paid In Full Soundtrack
    28. The Great Depression
    29. Grand Champ
    30. Phrenology
    31. The Tipping Point
    32. Game Theory
    33. Rising Down
    34. How I Got Over
    35. Undun
    36. And Then You Shoot Your Cousin
    37. We Got It From Here...Thank You 4 Your Service
    38. We Are The Streets
    39. A Gangster And A Gentlemen
    40. The W
    41. Iron Flag
    42. 8 Diagrams
    43. A Better Tomorrow
    44. Supreme Clientele
    45. Bulletproof Wallets
    46. The Pretty Toney Album
    47. Fishscale
    48. More Fish
    49. The Big Doe Rehab
    50. Wizard Of Poetry
    51. Wu-Massacre
    52. 12 Reasons To Die
    53. 36 Seasons
    54. Only Built For Cuban Linx2
    55. Tical 0 The Prequel
    56. 4:21 The Day After
    57. Rule:3:36
    58. Pain Is Love
    59. The Last Temptation
    60. Blood In My Eye
    61. R.U.L.E
    62. Malpractice
    63. Red Gone Wild
    64. MTV Unplugged 2.0 (Lauryn Hill)
    65. Long.Live A$AP
    66. At.Long.Last A$AP
    67. B.4.DA$$
    68. All-Amerikkkan Bada$$
    69. Art Offical Intelligence: Mosaic Thump
    70. AOI:Bionix
    71. The Grind Date
    72. Yeeeah Baby
    73. The Naked Truth
    74. Pink Friday
    75. The Pinkprint
    76. Jealous Ones Still Envy (J.O.S.E.)
    77. The New Danger
    78. Reflection Eternal
    79. Quality
    80. Train Of Thought
    81. Infamy
    82. Amerikaz Nightmare
    83. Blood Money
    84. HNIC
    85. Return Of The Mac
    86. Albert Einstien
    87. QB Finest
    88. The Realness
    89. The True Meaning
    90. The Testament
    91. Eve-OLution
    92. The Truth
    93. The Reason
    94. The B. Coming
    95. Philadelphia Freeway
    96. Anarchy
    97. Genesis
    98. The Big Bang
    99. Kamaal The Abstract
    100. The Renaissance
  • bck145
    Options
    So what is the debate?

I named 50+ rappers that I thought were dope and I said you could put the rappers I named up against the other 47 states.

Then somebody said it had to be from 2000 onwards, so I listed 100 albums from 2000 onwards.

Jay Z, Nas, Biggie, Wu Tang, Killah Priest, LL Cool J, Dougie Fresh, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, Slick Rick, Rakim, KRS One, Chuck D, Run DMC, De La Soul, Brand Nubian, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Spoonie G, MC Lyte, Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, Eve, Jean Grae, Remy Ma, Jadakiss, StylesP, Sheek Louch, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, DMX, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, Camron, Big L, Ma$e, Fabulous, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Pharaoh Monch, Prodigy, Guru, Sean Price, Buckshot, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Busta Rhymes, Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, AZ, Immortal Technique, Papoose, Kid Cudi, A$AP Rocky, Joey Badass, Dave East, Troy Ave, Desiigner, Young M.A. and the list goes on.

1. Dynasty
    2. Blueprint
    3. BP2
    4. The Black Album
    5. American Gangster
    6. Stillmatic
    7. Lost Tapes
    8. ? 's Son
    9. Streets Disciple
    10. ?
    11. Distant Relatives
    12. Life Is Good
    14. Beg For Mercy
    15. The Massacre
    16. SDE
    17. Come Home With Me
    18. Diplomatic Immunity
    19. Purple Haze
    20. From Me To U
    22. On My Way To Church
    24. Hustler's P.O.M.E.
    28. The Great Depression
    29. Grand Champ
    30. Phrenology
    31. The Tipping Point
    32. Game Theory
    33. Rising Down
    34. How I Got Over
    35. Undun
    38. We Are The Streets
    40. The W
    41. Iron Flag
    42. 8 Diagrams
    43. A Better Tomorrow
    44. Supreme Clientele
    45. Bulletproof Wallets
    47. Fishscale
    48. More Fish
    49. The Big Doe Rehab
    50. Wizard Of Poetry
    51. Wu-Massacre
    52. 12 Reasons To Die
    53. 36 Seasons
    55. Tical 0 The Prequel
    58. Pain Is Love
    59. The Last Temptation
    60. Blood In My Eye
    61. R.U.L.E
    62. Malpractice
    63. Red Gone Wild
    65. Long.Live A$AP
    66. At.Long.Last A$AP
    67. B.4.DA$$
    71. The Grind Date
    72. Yeeeah Baby
    73. The Naked Truth
    74. Pink Friday
    75. The Pinkprint
    77. The New Danger
    78. Reflection Eternal
    79. Quality
    80. Train Of Thought
    81. Infamy
    82. Amerikaz Nightmare
    83. Blood Money
    84. HNIC
    85. Return Of The Mac
    86. Albert Einstien
    87. QB Finest
    88. The Realness
    89. The True Meaning
    90. The Testament
    91. Eve-OLution
    92. The Truth
    93. The Reason
    94. The B. Coming
    95. Philadelphia Freeway
    96. Anarchy
    97. Genesis
    98. The Big Bang
    99. Kamaal The Abstract
    100. The Renaissance

Your naming 100 albums.....most of which are ? ....what are you trying to get at with the list? It doesn't accomplish anything
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Ain't no one moving the goal post....i wasn't talking 2000 onwards i was merely saying you can't act like new York is the only region putting out exceptional music if they don't hold the crown for the top albums ever

Someone could successfully argue kendrick has had the best album of the last 5 years if not the best 2 albums

Plus your list was just a list of 100....most of which weren't classic albums...just anything you could think of

No one said NY is the only region putting out exceptional albums, and secondly "the top albums ever" is subjective.
  • bck145
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

No one said NY is the only region putting out exceptional albums, and secondly "the top albums ever" is subjective.

No ppl r just acting that way
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After having lived on the East Coast, in the South and now in the Bay Area, East Coast i more regionally biased than the other two. Out here if it's good, ? bumping to it unapologetically .
  • trendsetta1030
    Options

You said b4 2000 2x in 2 diff ways post 100 cds after 2000
  • trendsetta1030
    Options
    So what is the debate?

1. Dynasty
    2. Blueprint
    3. BP2
    4. The Black Album
    5. American Gangster
    6. Stillmatic
    7. Lost Tapes
    8. ? 's Son
    9. Streets Disciple
    10. ?
    11. Distant Relatives
    12. Life Is Good
    14. Beg For Mercy
    15. The Massacre
    16. SDE
    17. Come Home With Me
    18. Diplomatic Immunity
    19. Purple Haze
    20. From Me To U
    22. On My Way To Church
    24. Hustler's P.O.M.E.
    28. The Great Depression
    29. Grand Champ
    30. Phrenology
    31. The Tipping Point
    32. Game Theory
    33. Rising Down
    34. How I Got Over
    35. Undun
    38. We Are The Streets
    40. The W
    41. Iron Flag
    42. 8 Diagrams
    43. A Better Tomorrow
    44. Supreme Clientele
    45. Bulletproof Wallets
    47. Fishscale
    48. More Fish
    49. The Big Doe Rehab
    50. Wizard Of Poetry
    51. Wu-Massacre
    52. 12 Reasons To Die
    53. 36 Seasons
    55. Tical 0 The Prequel
    58. Pain Is Love
    59. The Last Temptation
    60. Blood In My Eye
    61. R.U.L.E
    62. Malpractice
    63. Red Gone Wild
    65. Long.Live A$AP
    66. At.Long.Last A$AP
    67. B.4.DA$$
    71. The Grind Date
    72. Yeeeah Baby
    73. The Naked Truth
    74. Pink Friday
    75. The Pinkprint
    77. The New Danger
    78. Reflection Eternal
    79. Quality
    80. Train Of Thought
    81. Infamy
    82. Amerikaz Nightmare
    83. Blood Money
    84. HNIC
    85. Return Of The Mac
    86. Albert Einstien
    87. QB Finest
    88. The Realness
    89. The True Meaning
    90. The Testament
    91. Eve-OLution
    92. The Truth
    93. The Reason
    94. The B. Coming
    95. Philadelphia Freeway
    96. Anarchy
    97. Genesis
    98. The Big Bang
    99. Kamaal The Abstract
    100. The Renaissance
    5th Letter wrote: »

But ya are sayin that