"You cannot say Black Lives Matter and then ? yourselves" - Stevie Wonder

Options
1235»

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    This thread was funny...went from "Ya'll ? better not say nothin bout Stevie" to..."Well actually..nah part of that ? didn't really need to be said"
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    This thread was funny...went from "Ya'll ? better not say nothin bout Stevie" to..."Well actually..nah part of that ? didn't really need to be said"

i didnt even bother readin the posts..
    u ? are ceritfied ? heads..

aint even worth the energy..

? u AND LONG LIVE STEVIE!!!
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twenty2 wrote: »
    Sooo... We gotta tip-toe around and sugar-coat what we really wanna say to OUR people because some "OTHER" people might misconstrue it and run with it?

What happened to not givin a flyin ? WHAT white people think and tellin honkeys to mind they ? business and get the ? on when speakin on ? they don't know about? Ultimately this ? ain't MEANT for you! I'm talkin to and 'bout me and mines!

It's no different than having to reprimand or scold your child in public, all while some on-looker feels you're being "too harsh" and THEN having the audacity to pull you aside and TELL you "You shouldn't speak to your child like that." You gon' tell that muthafucka to kick rocks and don't worry 'bout what the ? 's goins ons over here!

If some feel things can be "worded differently" by these elder statesmen...fine... That's one thing. But if the reasoning is... "Because.....white people..." ...Nah... ? that...and in that vein and essence...? white people...

I'd like to engage in this line of thinking, but it isn't totally realistic, nor is it in our best interest. And I say that because of the blatant media bias that feeds the negative perceptions and stereotypes of us. Because of the skewed legislation that is the result of these faulty perceptions.

I look at comments like Stevie's as tributaries that all flow into this ocean of negativity that the black community is drowning in. We need people to figure out how to put up dams that cut off the flow instead of adding to it.

Like it or not, our lives are tied to these policies, these perceptions, and these laws. And you know, as well as I, that our enemies are looking for any fodder they can use against us to bolster their arguments and ignorance.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/06/23/conservatives-eating-stevie-wonders-taken-context-comments-black-lives-matter/
    Conservatives Eating Up Stevie Wonder’s ‘Taken Out of Context’ Comments on Black Lives Matter

Even though Stevie Wonder has clarified his comments regarding the hypocrisy of saying “Black lives matter,” conservatives have continued to latch onto the statement.

“It is in your hands to stop all the killing and all the shooting wherever it might be,” Wonder says while discussing gun violence at the North Minneapolis Conference on Peace Saturday, June 17. “Because you cannot say, ‘Black Lives Matter‘ and then ? yourselves. Because you know that we’ve mattered long before it was said, but the way we show that we matter — the way that we show that all the various people of color matter — is by loving each other and doing something about it, not just talking about it.”

The BLM comment picked up steam over the past week and Wonder clarified his comments to activist DeRay Mckesson Wednesday.

Wonder has previously spoken out in support of the Black community, including last year at London’s British Summer Time Festival when he said “all life does matter… But the reason that I say Black lives matter is because we are the original people of this world. So, in essence, everybody in here, really, you got some Black in you. You’ve all got some soul in you, so stop denying your culture.”

Still, commenters on conservative-leaning websites couldn’t get enough of the singer’s recent “taken out of context” remarks.

Several praised Wonder for “speaking the truth.”

stevie-wonder-blm-conservative-6.png

stevie-wonder-blm-conservative-5.png

stevie-wonder-blm-conservative-7.png

stevie-wonder-blm-conservative-4.png

stevie-wonder-blm-conservative-1.png

stevie-wonder-blm-conservative-3.png
  • Like Water
    Options
    http://atlantablackstar.com/2017/06/23/conservatives-eating-stevie-wonders-taken-context-comments-black-lives-matter/
    Conservatives Eating Up Stevie Wonder’s ‘Taken Out of Context’ Comments on Black Lives Matter

Even though Stevie Wonder has clarified his comments regarding the hypocrisy of saying “Black lives matter,” conservatives have continued to latch onto the statement.

“It is in your hands to stop all the killing and all the shooting wherever it might be,” Wonder says while discussing gun violence at the North Minneapolis Conference on Peace Saturday, June 17. “Because you cannot say, ‘Black Lives Matter‘ and then ? yourselves. Because you know that we’ve mattered long before it was said, but the way we show that we matter — the way that we show that all the various people of color matter — is by loving each other and doing something about it, not just talking about it.”

The BLM comment picked up steam over the past week and Wonder clarified his comments to activist DeRay Mckesson Wednesday.

Wonder has previously spoken out in support of the Black community, including last year at London’s British Summer Time Festival when he said “all life does matter… But the reason that I say Black lives matter is because we are the original people of this world. So, in essence, everybody in here, really, you got some Black in you. You’ve all got some soul in you, so stop denying your culture.”

Still, commenters on conservative-leaning websites couldn’t get enough of the singer’s recent “taken out of context” remarks.

And the very next post highlights exactly what I was saying in my post. Smh. Cave demons waste no time in being ? and ? .
  • twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options
    @Like Water I get what you and @The Lonious Monk are saying. But, as often said around here, cacs gon' cac...and no matter how "squeaky clean" we can get our narrative, do we think that's really going to stop them from diggin and nit-pickin'?

I also hear y'all in regards to the skewed legislation. But simply "changing our narrative", or filtering what we say will have little to no impact on that in my opinion. I highly doubt that one of them would raise their hand and be like..."Now let's hold our horses here just a second... The blacks have cleaned up pretty nice and this here piece of legislation wouldn't serve them too well..." Nah... Not happenin...

Now, we can urge more of us to pursue political careers to work from the inside and if nothing else, act at least as a "stalemate"...kinda like that lone black juror that we just HOPE is gon' cause a hung jury...BUT...how do we get THERE without first even being able to SPEAK to our own minus the fear of, or better yet, the consideration of white opinions?

@7figz ... I only brought up the white people thoughts topic because it's been said a couple-few times between this thread and the Cosby thread(s) that these gentlemen and thr likes of should be more mindful of their wording because white people will take it and run with it... Which they will, as evidenced above... My point being, they gon' find "something" regardless, so we may as well just handle business as best as WE see fit. Granted we may "see fit" differently at times but "white thoughts" really shouldn't be a weighted factor.
  • Like Water
    edited June 2017
    Options
    twenty2 wrote: »
    @Like Water I get what you and @The Lonious Monk are saying. But, as often said around here, cacs gon' cac...and no matter how "squeaky clean" we can get our narrative, do we think that's really going to stop them from diggin and nit-pickin'?

I also hear y'all in regards to the skewed legislation. But simply "changing our narrative", or filtering what we say will have little to no impact on that in my opinion. I highly doubt that one of them would raise their hand and be like..."Now let's hold our horses here just a second... The blacks have cleaned up pretty nice and this here piece of legislation wouldn't serve them too well..." Nah... Not happenin...

Now, we can urge more of us to pursue political careers to work from the inside and if nothing else, act at least as a "stalemate"...kinda like that lone black juror that we just HOPE is gon' cause a hung jury...BUT...how do we get THERE without first even being able to SPEAK to our own minus the fear of, or better yet, the consideration of white opinions?

@7figz ... I only brought up the white people thoughts topic because it's been said a couple-few times between this thread and the Cosby thread(s) that these gentlemen and thr likes of should be more mindful of their wording because white people will take it and run with it... Which they will, as evidenced above... My point being, they gon' find "something" regardless, so we may as well just handle business as best as WE see fit. Granted we may "see fit" differently at times but "white thoughts" really shouldn't be a weighted factor.

I completely agree with what you've said here. They will find something. Even when we wore suits and had strong nuclear families, in the 60's, they still lynched us, hosed us and sicc'ed dogs on us.

It's more of the mindset of let's keep in-house problems in-house. Which, I'm sure, is how most of us were raised.

But we all know there will be no equality for us when we run off a doctrine that deemed us 3/5 human during its inception.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stevie get a pass b/c he has credibility. He's been fighting for racial equality for decades.

People like him who has that track record i respect their opinions.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

And the very next post highlights exactly what I was saying in my post. Smh. Cave demons waste no time in being ? and ? .

This was my point in one of the Cosby threads. Be careful with what and how you say things.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I dont see what he said that was wrong.

He pretty much saying, Dont scream BLM and then turn around and ? another brother.

I love how they are implying what he said instead of just listening to what he said.

Facts