The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The "finally, the real superman" crowd is just unbelievably stubborn in what they think is the essential core of Superman. They think bright red and blue colors, smiling, and the World War propoganda version of 1940's American ideals is what makes him him.

But anyone willing to have an honest conversation knows that Superman has had a ton of uniform changes, so the bright red and blue thing is ? . And the "Big blue cheese" nickname is in reference to him having a perpetual smile on his face. Bit most importantly, that America has never been a wholesome nation. It has a nasty underbelly and a propensity to ? up, even as a leading nation when it comes to human rights. That's the "hope" theme that Man of Steel nailed.

But no... Cavil wasn't a spot on remake of their ? Christopher Reeves infused childhood so they ? and ? until WB caved.

There is no big blue cheese nickname. You're confusing him with Captain Marvel who was called The Big Red Cheese.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My point stands.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The "finally, the real superman" crowd is just unbelievably stubborn in what they think is the essential core of Superman. They think bright red and blue colors, smiling, and the World War propoganda version of 1940's American ideals is what makes him him.

But anyone willing to have an honest conversation knows that Superman has had a ton of uniform changes, so the bright red and blue thing is ? . And the "Big blue cheese" nickname is in reference to him having a perpetual smile on his face. Bit most importantly, that America has never been a wholesome nation. It has a nasty underbelly and a propensity to ? up, even as a leading nation when it comes to human rights. That's the "hope" theme that Man of Steel nailed.

But no... Cavil wasn't a spot on remake of their ? Christopher Reeves infused childhood so they ? and ? until WB caved.

Co ? sign to the fullest. These nerd idiotds had a heart attack when he snapped zods neck. Zod forced his hand its not like he wanted to do it. Also ? with he's finally superman. I watched man of steel last week and he was superman from the jump. I don't even compare man of steel to the donner films because they are a whole generation apart. Like I said he already was superman before he even wore the uniform. Through out the film he did what superman does ,saving lives. Example the oil rig scene, saving that soldier during the fight with the kryptonians freeing a daily planet employee from the debris during the tera forming. He also stood up for that waitress I'm that nar he worked at.
    Then the idiots ? about collateral damage of the battle with zod. Did these idiots miss the part wear the earth was being spit roasted by a ship and a big ass terra forming machine? Wtf did you think was gonna happen you ? idiots?!?! Mos was a different take on superman just like one shots tpb stories can be non canon and defy continuity like all star superman or red son for example. Man of steel wasn't just a super hero flick it was a genre take on superman. It was like a superman combined with the day the earth stood still. What a lot of people don't realize is that Donner's original take on superman 2 was meant to be dark also as I've witness in the directors cut but he got removed from the project and it was result to be light hearted . history repeats itself.

What I think a lot of the people that complain about MOS miss is you have these "people" that are capable of inhuman feats of strength, have durability to withstand damned near anything you throw at them, are fighting each other in the middle of the streets and whatnot. The collateral damage is going to be pretty much as it's shown in MOS or worse. It's like the fight between Captain Marvel and Superman in the JLU episode "Clash"; that's the kind of damage you SHOULD expect to see when Zod and Supes go toe to toe in the middle of a city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWTbLZCR84k

^^^ That's about an accurate depiction of a fight between superpowered beings can get, down to the look of "I'm finna die" in Col. Jack Hardy's face when he stares down Faora in the middle of the street with just a knife in his hand.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Just pay Christopher Nolan a shitload of money to reboot the dceu.

He's not interested. They already tried that years ago and quite frankly a reason they ? up with the shared universe was stubbornly trying to chase the tone of his Batman trilogy thinking that was the answer. A tone that does not fit the DCU collectively at all and didn't really work for Superman.

The only tone people have ever seen Superman in is what Captain America was showed in The First Avenger. Nothing wrong with change. Nothing wrong with the current version of Superman, it's my favorite, tyre studios just ruin the films. If Nolan can turn Batman into gold, he definitely could have handled the rest of the dc universe.

You are in the minority. As evidenced by people complaining about MOS everyday 4 years later and most people saying that the one positive in JL was allowing Cavill to finally "play Superman".

Again Nolan is not interested. He doesn't like the traditional DCU. "Too fantastical". MOS was his idea of what Superman should be and a lot of people hated his "proto Superman".

Did people really hate his version of Superman though? Or did they just hate the overall tone of the movie?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Yea, Cavill is perfect for Superman
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just pay Christopher Nolan a shitload of money to reboot the dceu.

He's not interested. They already tried that years ago and quite frankly a reason they ? up with the shared universe was stubbornly trying to chase the tone of his Batman trilogy thinking that was the answer. A tone that does not fit the DCU collectively at all and didn't really work for Superman.

The only tone people have ever seen Superman in is what Captain America was showed in The First Avenger. Nothing wrong with change. Nothing wrong with the current version of Superman, it's my favorite, tyre studios just ruin the films. If Nolan can turn Batman into gold, he definitely could have handled the rest of the dc universe.

You are in the minority. As evidenced by people complaining about MOS everyday 4 years later and most people saying that the one positive in JL was allowing Cavill to finally "play Superman".

Again Nolan is not interested. He doesn't like the traditional DCU. "Too fantastical". MOS was his idea of what Superman should be and a lot of people hated his "proto Superman".

Did people really hate his version of Superman though? Or did they just hate the overall tone of the movie?

Look at every popular comic book related message boards (comic book resources, superherohype, bleeding cool etc.) and see for yourself what their beef with it is. It varies from people to people but a lot of people really didn't like MOS and won't shut up about it to this day.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    I liked MOS and Cavill is the goat Superman actor shrugs

I like Cavill more than most people do but he hasn't topped Reeve in the 1978 movie yet. Maybe if they actually let him use his charisma and charm in a Superman movie like Man from U.N.C.L.E. did he'd finally stand a chance.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL @Broddie an old school comic head...

Likes the old films and actors
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL @Broddie an old school comic head...

Likes the old films and actors

It's objectively the best Superman performance so far. It completely singlehandedly holds together an always flawed novie that to many hasn't aged very well. He didn't even top it in any of the sequels. Nobody has directed an actor in that role that well since. It's more than just trying to recreate it too. Ask Bryan Singer.

That's still one of the best casting moves ever. The dude completely transformed into that role. He was all skinny lanky and unrecognizable when first cast. When you see that performance though you see Superman straight off the page and feel better for it. It's inspiring & earnest and that's a big reason it endures. Like Erroll Flynn in Adventures of Robin Hood or Tyrone Power in The Mark of Zorro.

Cavill has potential but he has yet to match that. Has yet to hit that mark. He's been let down by the director and writers though it's not cause he doesn't have its in him.

I kinda hope Matthew Vaughn does do The Man of Tomorrow or whatever they end up calling it. That's of course assuming WB isn't getting cold feet with this version of Superman. Somebody said "Superman used to be like Cap" and that's the point.

Life full of hardships but he still overcomes with his head held high. No brooding or moping. Never betrays his convictions. That's why Cap in the MCU has worked. They never tried to deconstruct him like MOS & BvS tried poorly at times with Supes. Not every superhero needs deconstruction in the first place.

They embraced him and contrasted him against the rest of the MCU. That's a big reason WB is hurting. They lost track of that with Superman and it bit them in the ass. They may never really recover either.

Not saying you can't eventually deconstruct him either. Some of the best stories did this from ? Superman to ? Superman but not straight out the gate when you try to compete with a juggernaut (marvel). Stick to the accepted universal version till you earn the loyalty that provides freedom to deconstruct. Keep it simple till you gain more leverage and trust from the audience.

Then you can make a 3rd or 4th Superman movie like the Exile story or something like that. But don't try to go to wide scope right away. Not if you're not really prepared to convincingly sell that ? all the way.

It was bold from a creative perspective but narrowminded with no long term sustainability because it was so unfocused in execution. I mean in the end the potential of the idea was never fully reached anyway.

These IPs have been hurt by poor execution of the DCEU. A lot of people in the US who saw the last 2 modern Superman films sat out a ? Justice League movie featuring Superman's triumphant return cause they're pretty much over this version already.

Maybe they really should just stick to Batman and Wonder Woman after all. At least until they buy a clue.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Christopher Reeves
  • Broddie
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    ? Christopher Reeves

It's funny how butthurt people get that the first superhero movie performance that inspired everything you see today still outshines most of them.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    People even prefer the TV guy on CW right now because he's written the way Superman at his best has been written. Yet he's not a Reeve clone. Still undeniably Superman. Stop getting mad at other performances that people prefer over your boys. It's not healthy. Holla at Cavill on social media and ask him to demand better material to work with.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Reeves was dope. Loved him as Superman. I think MoS will go down as one of the best portrayals. I wish it was expanded more in the beginning of the film about him helping others in the past and the mythical status those stories were in Smallville. Zod was so dope in MoS, I really hope Flashpoint brings him back.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I liked Zod and Faora a lot more than I did Kal-El. So did a lot of others. I think that's the problem. Superman should not be the least interesting character in his own movie. That's also what ruined Superman Returns.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    I liked Zod and Faora a lot more than I did Kal-El. So did a lot of others. I think that's the problem. Superman should not be the least interesting character in his own movie. That's also what ruined Superman Returns.

Faora vs Wonder Woman would be awesome. All the studios have the same issues with killing off villains. Justice League could have easily been Zod and his crew with Steppenwolf
  • Broddie
    Options

Faora vs Wonder Woman would be awesome. All the studios have the same issues with killing off villains. Justice League could have easily been Zod and his crew with Steppenwolf

There's still hope for a Faora return. She was sucked back into the Phantom Zone or whatever the hell they call it in the DCEU.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

There's still hope for a Faora return. She was sucked back into the Phantom Zone or whatever the hell they call it in the DCEU.

They should have had Superman trying to send them back to the phantom zone but instead they go to Apokolips.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that MOS and Justice League had the same storyline? Both had two world killing machines trying to terraform Earth

Makes sense. With trilogies part 3 usually retreads the basic plot of the original movie (BTTF 3, TDKR etc)
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    I think DC Films will be fine, unless they bring in some wacky characters like granny goodness or some ?
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I think DC Films will be fine, unless they bring in some wacky characters like granny goodness or some ?

That's actually a great and very dark character. Quirky and nuts but still tactical and able to whoop ass. Basically a slave trafficking narccisstic army general/brothel madam. Snyder would've loved her.
  • Broddie
    Options
    There's one rule everybody who reads comic books has known their whole life. There are no wack characters. Just wack creators. Even Captain Carrot and The Zoo Crew had some incredible stories under the right writers.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Captain Carrot sounds interesting. ima look him up
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    I mean. Yea she could whoop ass and basically number 2 to Darkseid but just the name alone will turn people off
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Who cares? It's meant to be ironic. A New Gods movie wouldn't really work without her.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People even prefer the TV guy on CW right now because he's written the way Superman at his best has been written. Yet he's not a Reeve clone. Still undeniably Superman. Stop getting mad at other performances that people prefer over your boys. It's not healthy. Holla at Cavill on social media and ask him to demand better material to work with.

While all your points may be true I'll still say cavill is a good superman. I'd say second best. I like hisi performance he's like a live action version of the tim Daly superman from the wb animated series.