The Official DC Cinematic Universe thread - Now Showing - "The Justice League"

Options

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I think DC Films will be fine, unless they bring in some wacky characters like granny goodness or some ?

That's actually a great and very dark character. Quirky and nuts but still tactical and able to whoop ass. Basically a slave trafficking narccisstic army general/brothel madam. Snyder would've loved her.

You can do a whole movie about apokolips and it would sell. They can take a b lister like Mr miracle and it would be a hit.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kathy Bates as Granny Goodness

and this Fight Scene >>>

https://youtu.be/vfxdLAVl2tw
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just pay Christopher Nolan a shitload of money to reboot the dceu.

He's not interested. They already tried that years ago and quite frankly a reason they ? up with the shared universe was stubbornly trying to chase the tone of his Batman trilogy thinking that was the answer. A tone that does not fit the DCU collectively at all and didn't really work for Superman.

The only tone people have ever seen Superman in is what Captain America was showed in The First Avenger. Nothing wrong with change. Nothing wrong with the current version of Superman, it's my favorite, tyre studios just ruin the films. If Nolan can turn Batman into gold, he definitely could have handled the rest of the dc universe.

You are in the minority. As evidenced by people complaining about MOS everyday 4 years later and most people saying that the one positive in JL was allowing Cavill to finally "play Superman".

Again Nolan is not interested. He doesn't like the traditional DCU. "Too fantastical". MOS was his idea of what Superman should be and a lot of people hated his "proto Superman".

Did people really hate his version of Superman though? Or did they just hate the overall tone of the movie?

Look at every popular comic book related message boards (comic book resources, superherohype, bleeding cool etc.) and see for yourself what their beef with it is. It varies from people to people but a lot of people really didn't like MOS and won't shut up about it to this day.

I'll take your word for it. I know there was beef with it. I just remember people whining about Superman killing Zod and causing a whole bunch of damage, basically dumb hit. I liked the movie though so I never got the complaints.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of people nowadays want to root for the villain and feel short changed when the villain is given little development.

I could have given Steppenwolf 20 more lines and he would've been a fan favorite.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    They don't really need to get to Darkseid ASAP though. Especially since the one Marvel villain influenced most by Darkseid will be rocking the MCU for the next couple of years.

They need to stay as far away from that as possible. Just focus on the individual movies for now. Reintroduce these icons to the general audience organically.

Don't rush anymore team ups & take it from there. Then when the demand for a team up actually comes up use the Legion of Doom/Injustice League.

At this rate they won't even beat Marvel to a multiversal crisis movie. So get off that, switch lanes and focus on simpler self contained stories that remind people why they should still give a ? about Superman and Batman outside of them just being...Superman and Batman.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    When they do get to Darkseid do it like Final Crisis/Multiversity and Jack Kirby envisioned. Show that there is a "Darkseid Prime" as he is a ? and thus has no corporeal form.

Every "Darkseid" encountered by the DC multiverse heroes was an avatar of that prime version. Just the pure essence of tryanny floating across the entire multiverse and bleeding into all the different earths all at once.

Just build up towards that epic ? at a reasonable pace. No more rushing.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brainiac for JL2

They can use metalo or parasite for supes 2
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I dont think Darkseid is going to be rushed. But I don't think it'll get dragged along either. I'd say within 5 years. DC needs solo films to recover. You can announce Justice League 2 for next year with Darkseid and the hype will be huge for that movie. They know that. Hopefully they work up to it in a great way.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dante easily destroys the JL
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    Brainiac for JL2

They can use metalo or parasite for supes 2

Parasite and metallo are henchmen level villains.
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    granny goodness would be dope as ? . She was recently in justice league action and I forgot what a great character she was. Cloris Leachman was okay but cant compare to Ed Asner in JLU.

Kathy Bates would be interesting. She definitely looks the part.
  • Splackavelli
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I hope darkseid isnt a giant like in justice league war
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's one rule everybody who reads comic books has known their whole life. There are no wack characters. Just wack creators. Even Captain Carrot and The Zoo Crew had some incredible stories under the right writers.

Howard the Duck and Power Pack had some good stories as well. I never ? with Power Pack until they tied it in with the Mutant Massacre. I had to go back and pick up as many issues as I could 'cause I had always figured Power Pack was more or less a kiddie title but the ? actually got pretty dark.
  • Broddie
    Options
    There's one rule everybody who reads comic books has known their whole life. There are no wack characters. Just wack creators. Even Captain Carrot and The Zoo Crew had some incredible stories under the right writers.

Howard the Duck and Power Pack had some good stories as well. I never ? with Power Pack until they tied it in with the Mutant Massacre. I had to go back and pick up as many issues as I could 'cause I had always figured Power Pack was more or less a kiddie title but the ? actually got pretty dark.

The original Howard the Duck series is pretty great.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    When they do get to Darkseid do it like Final Crisis/Multiversity and Jack Kirby envisioned. Show that there is a "Darkseid Prime" as he is a ? and thus has no corporeal form.

Every "Darkseid" encountered by the DC multiverse heroes was an avatar of that prime version. Just the pure essence of tryanny floating across the entire multiverse and bleeding into all the different earths all at once.

@brodie what should I read for this? This ? sounds interesting
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I fell off of reading big name comics im more for the dmz,saga,dmz of the world i have no idea where to start aome of these arcs so i dont
  • Broddie
    Options

Final Crisis

Oh and DC should turn DMZ into an HBO series.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Final Crisis

would be the perfect time considering the political climate i haven't read the comic in a while and my memory is as because i read it twice but i believe they would have to fill out some of the characters/ events with more detail on the show
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Final Crisis

HBO Series DMZ would be dope!
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

Final Crisis

whats DMZ?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

Final Crisis

whats DMZ?

Its a vertigo comics story about America in a second civil war that follows this journalist named Matty who is in manhattan and manhattan has become a demilitarized area. Cant remember who wrote it though.
  • Broddie
    Options

Final Crisis

whats DMZ?

Its a vertigo comics story about America in a second civil war that follows this journalist named Matty who is in manhattan and manhattan has become a demilitarized area. Cant remember who wrote it though.

Brian Wood who also created Northlanders for Vertigo
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Final Crisis

whats DMZ?
    DMZ is an American comic book series written by Brian Wood, with artwork by Wood and Riccardo Burchielli. The series is set in the near future, where a Second American Civil War has turned the island of Manhattan into a demilitarized zone (DMZ), caught between forces of the United States of America and secessionist Free States of America.

The series is set in New York City, sometime in the near future and in the midst of a civil war that has turned the island of Manhattan into a demilitarized zone.

The conflict concerns two primary forces: the federal government of the United States of America and the Free States armies. In issue #8, its explained that the Free States are less a geographical entity than "an idea", and that the movement began with an uprising of secessionist groups that formed a separate government in Montana before spreading across the country. The Free Armies and the U.S. military first met in combat at Allentown, Pennsylvania where the Free Armies won, after which the Free Armies descended on New York. The planned evacuation of Manhattan went disastrously wrong, but despite that the US Army was finally able to halt the advance of the Free States forces.

There was even a sense among troops that the US forces were ready to start reclaiming territory from and pushing back the Free States army, until the calamity of Day 204, when a squad of US soldiers mistakenly gunned down nearly 200 peace protesters. With the US robbed of all momentum and public support for an advance, the two sides settled into an uneasy stalemate, where Manhattan is the location of the DMZ between the two warring parties, with the FSA occupying territory including New Jersey and inland, and the United States holding Brooklyn, Long Island, and other parts unknown. The US Government still holds at least part of New York State, and presumably other territories further northeast.

In an interview, Brian Wood described the back-history as the citizens of Middle America having risen up against the pre-emptive war policies of the US government, causing a Second American Civil War. He expanded on this in a later interview:

Midwestern militia groups revolt against their local governments in protest of rampant U.S. adventurism overseas and, in the absence of the National Guard, are able to gain far more ground than they thought possible. Small insurgent groups pop up in towns and cities across the country, and a sizable force, the Free States Army, pushes toward Manhattan. The city proves too big for them to take, and also for the U.S. Army to defend. The war stalls there, a stalemate, neither side being able to shift things.

Manhattan is mainly empty, with only 400,000 people still on the island (compared with 1.5 million in the 2000 census), populated only by the poor who were not evacuated, snipers and holdouts. Wood has described the setting as: "Think equal parts Escape from New York, Fallujah, and New Orleans right after Katrina".

The comic series begins when reporter Matty Roth arrives in Manhattan, five years after the outbreak of the war. Through the series' first 22 issues, DMZ followed Matty Roth through various crises in his first year and a half around the DMZ and the surrounding areas, such as military bases of the Free Armies and of the United States. In issue #23, however, Brian Wood started several tangents from the main storyline and devoted single issues to the stories of several other characters from the DMZ; a street artist, a young girl living rough, the triad leader Wilson, Matty's love interest Kelly, a local DJ, and the commander of the Central Park "Ghosts" – Soames, respectively. The story returned to primarily following Matty Roth in issue #29.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kept reading it as DBZ as in Dragon ball z lol
  • Lou Cypher
    Options

Final Crisis

whats DMZ?

Brian Wood who also created Northlanders for Vertigo

Nice, i didnt read the entire run myself, but i read a decent chunk of it and liked it. I see they got a lot of spin off type stories too i should check out someday.