the classical throwbacks that the young heads wouldn't understand thread

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Back in the 70's and 80's, a nickel bag of weed was one finger in a ziploc sandwich baggie, a dime was two fingers, a lid was three fingers, and an ounce was 4 fingers.

Huh?

get one of these:

ziplocrecycling.jpg

now, hold up one of your fingers to the bottom of the bag and put enough weed in it that it comes up to that finger. That's a nickel bag.

Hold up two fingers to the bottom of that bad and put enough weed in it that it comes up to those two fingers. That's a dime bag.

A lid is three fingers and an ounce would be 4 fingers. That's how weed was measured and sold back in the 70's and 80's. My pops had several cats he bought trees from, but his favorite was this white biker 'cause he was fat as hell and his fingers were chubby so his nickels and dimes were bigger than everybody else's.

I didn't see 1 gram = dime bag until the 90's. I don't know when it changed, but you got far more for your money back inna day.

@king hassan @Cain @deadeye y'all gotta remember this.

weed used to be weak as ? back in the day compared to now

also back then u weren't able to really buy variations on ur block.........u had to go out into the country to get some different ? if u were a serious smoker

also I remember back in the day it was only papers or phillie blunts..........now these new age ? got vegas, optimos, and swishers of all flavors SMH

and now they got all these complicated exotic strains and ? now..........makes me feel old as ? :(

hell I still remember when ? used to smoke bidis, and when ? 1st discovered black and milds haha

It's funny here in AK nobody ever named their strains until these dispensaries popped up. It was either good, not good, or decent and you had to judge for yourself. Sometime within the last 10 years growers popped up everywhere with some actual talent and the weed quality skyrocketed and any time you'd go to a weed man he would have 3 different kinds for you to choose from, talkin "this one's an indica, that's sativa, this one's a hybrid" "gorilla glue, bubblegum kush, grape ape, etc." It kind of got frustrating lol. I'd always be like "just give me whatever will get me the most ? up"

Word. Back inna day there was three types of weed; ? /dirt/bammer, regular, and if the weed was potent it was "fire" or "flames" and you left it at that. Now the ? got brand names and ? like "kryptochronakonalite" and you supposed to know whether it's good or not.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ronco had the best informercials back in the day, we actually had the pocket fisherman
    https://youtu.be/XQZtlvDiJ4s
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remember smoking sections in restaurants? They'd have one area for people to smoke, but the smoke wad always everywhere in the restaurant anyways. I remember people would light up a cig mid meal take a puff and keep eating. ? was gross
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Remember smoking sections in restaurants? They'd have one area for people to smoke, but the smoke wad always everywhere in the restaurant anyways. I remember people would light up a cig mid meal take a puff and keep eating. ? was gross

I remember when people could smoke on airplanes.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Whatever it is i think i see, becomes a tootsie roll to me!

https://youtu.be/uaXk6PVXqJE
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Southwest supermarket in AZ, local youngins here don't remember that
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

Used to be one on 43rd and Thomas when I was going to Carl Hayden. ? stayed getting shot and jumped in that parking lot. Mainly because of the apartments across the street.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Used to be one on 43rd and Thomas when I was going to Carl Hayden. ? stayed getting shot and jumped in that parking lot. Mainly because of the apartments across the street.

I remember that one, the one on 19th ave and Osborn rd was lively as well
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds
  • mc317
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options
    mc317 wrote: »
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

My pops still has a Pioneer Elite Laserdisc/DVD combo player.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    p557duhcd9hk.jpeg

My brother got that bike for his 12th birthday back in the day, that ? will be 42 next month lol
  • Broddie
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.

Over 20 years. That's longer than DVD.
  • mc317
    Options
    p557duhcd9hk.jpeg

My brother got that bike for his 12th birthday back in the day, that ? will be 42 next month lol

Lmao sounds right I got mine in 86-86

• konceptjones
    Options
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.

Like hell, I was selling LD players at Best Buy in '94. The last LD movie was released in 2000/2001 giving it a 22-23 year run. People that invested in home theaters typically had a LD player in the mix 'cause the video and audio quality was far better than VHS.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.

Like hell, I was selling LD players at Best Buy in '94. The last LD movie was released in 2000/2001 giving it a 22-23 year run. People that invested in home theaters typically had a LD player in the mix 'cause the video and audio quality was far better than VHS.

The majority of people I knew went from VHS to DVD.

I remember walking into stores and seeing LDs collecting dust.
  • Broddie
    edited November 2017
    Options
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.

Exactly. When my dad lived in queens and I used to go see him on the weekends he turned his garage into a soundroom. LD and great surround (he spent over 8K on that system which he still uses to this very day) was the truth. Especially Robocop and Aliens very pristine sound quality on those. It really matched the theatrical experience compared to VHS.

He also used to rent a lot of the anime and hong kong action joints that were mostly LD exclusive and dub them for me on tape. When I visit him down south where he lives now we still use the LD to watch the original untainted Star Wars. Not that Episode IV Special Edition ? . As well as some other joints that never got a DVD or Blu-Ray release.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.

The majority of people I knew went from VHS to DVD.

I remember walking into stores and seeing LDs collecting dust.

I couldn't keep LD's in stock at Best Buy. We had Pioneer LD players in each of the the a/v display rooms at my store and they pretty much sold themselves.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    v3rf1hiyzeck.gif

Laser Disc ? 1980’s dvds

It didnt last long.

Exactly. When my dad lived in queens and I used to go see him on the weekends he turned his garage into a soundroom. LD and great surround (he spent over 8K on that system which he still uses to this very day) was the truth. Especially Robocop and Aliens very pristine sound quality on those. It really matched the theatrical experience compared to VHS.

He also used to rent a lot of the anime and hong kong action joints that were mostly LD exclusive and dub them for me on tape. When I visit him down south where he lives now we still use the LD to watch the original untainted Star Wars. Not that Episode IV Special Edition ? . As well as some other joints that never got a DVD or Blu-Ray release.

Laserdisc was HUGE in Japan and Hong Kong. Pretty much every HK action flick got an LD release in the 80's and 90's so The Killer, A Better Tomorrow, Hitman, etc were available. ? was dope if you had the HK connect.