Pete Rock defends ole heads in music and explains why newer artist music don’t get no respect ...

Options

Comments

• natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You listen to Eminem though.

You don't think Em nice on the mic?

Em is not liked on here, I just recently learned this. However Lupe is ? , jigga and nas depending on who you talking to can do no wrong. Ether was trash too. You 'll catch on brah
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    What do people mean when they say young rappers don't respect the game or the pioneers? Like what do you want them to do?

Don't be trash on the mic is pretty much the only request. It's really not too much to ask.

Depends who u asking, it can be a tall task to some these new lil whatever
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    It's always the New York ? wit this elitist ass attitude too. I guess since they been puttin out ? since the south took the crown they still goin back to that forefather ? . The thing about an art, it dont have to stay the same, and you don't have to like the changes. If you like Michelangelo, them paintings are there forever. ? it look like if somebody like picasso(I know he dead) was like Yea...? that ? rothko, he don't paint like me. It's corny, let them lil ? paint. you painted, and we love your art. Now we got new artists.

Bob Ross don't owe Andy Warhol ? fam.

So west coast artists don't feel the same?
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    It's always the New York ? wit this elitist ass attitude too. I guess since they been puttin out ? since the south took the crown they still goin back to that forefather ? . The thing about an art, it dont have to stay the same, and you don't have to like the changes. If you like Michelangelo, them paintings are there forever. ? it look like if somebody like picasso(I know he dead) was like Yea...? that ? rothko, he don't paint like me. It's corny, let them lil ? paint. you painted, and we love your art. Now we got new artists.

Bob Ross don't owe Andy Warhol ? fam.

So west coast artists don't feel the same?

The sentiment is nowhere near as intense. You know it. Them NY old heads be mad as ? . Lord Jamar and Joe Budden been yellin at young ? for 5 years straight. Publicly.
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I like what the D.O.C. said on sway in the morning. He said he interjects his lyrical style into his new artists and kind of guides them a little without smothering their own styles so to speak. There needs to be respect from from both sides. We need to start from there.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if posted but

• D.D.S.
    D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if posted but

He’s right. ? was doing ? ? too like coke, ? , etc. They also act like they weren’t glorifying selling poison to your ppl.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Not sure if posted but

Actually this is what 21 Savage posted. TI's response was the opposite of this.

nah he reposted what 21 posted, it didn't show the whole thing, this is what tip said, he was agreeing but sayin both sides have to respeck each other.

"troubleman31@21savage lil bro speaking real truth tho. The fact of the matter is... There's been good,bad, great,mediocre artists,&otherwise in EVERY generation .... Even ours"(2000s) , The Founding era (80s) & the golden era of the 90s. They're not the only generation to make "user music" either. Can anyone remember a Lil album called "The Chronic"? Or hit Recs like "Sippin on some Sizzurp".... Regardless of the subject matter...This is THEY TIME. Couldn't nobody tell us how to run ours,or make us sound how they thought we should... Live ya life & do ya stuff young'n. Just bare with us,&try to understand .... y'all ? kinda different & take some getting used to. As the elders gotta understand they're SUCCESS JUSTIFIES the CHANGE. The Numbers DONT LIE!!!
    Can't hate on that.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If anything, old heads are too kind. This new generation is 95% garbage.

Exactly. I love when the previous generations call this garbage what it is.

I hate that BS they are doing being categorized as Hip Hop myself.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Lol Bitter as hell
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    ? is soft. Old heads used to tell you about yourself and most times it was in a harsh tone. But instead of shutting the ? up and listening ? wanna get defensive.

Considering post in the g&s this sentiment is hilarious
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aye new rap ? music is trash . Nothing else to say. I give them all the credit in the world for the hustle and making a single that gets them money but their full body of work is trash. That's today's climate it is what it is shrugs

Actually I wouldn't call it trash. The thing I like about new rap is the amount of sub-bass they use. It kinda puts what cats in New York were doing to shame. Blueprint and Stillmatic are supposed to be 5 mic classics, but production wise, the stuff that Cash Money and No Limit were doing at the time (circa 2001) had more sub-bass.

There's a lot of songs I liked when they were originally released circa 2000-2005, but in hindsight most of the stuff out of New York had zero sub-bass.

These new cats like Lil Yachty have 10X the bass of Blueprint and Stillmatic. I'm not saying he raps better, but he has more bass.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ? is soft. Old heads used to tell you about yourself and most times it was in a harsh tone. But instead of shutting the ? up and listening ? wanna get defensive.

Expound
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Expound

Mainly the last sentence about listening instead of being defensive whenever something you don't like is being said
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Making drug user music is worst than making drug selling music
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If anything, old heads are too kind. This new generation is 95% garbage.

that's being generous. I probably delete somewhere between 98-99% of all mixtapes I download from DatPiff after the first listen.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Expound

Mainly the last sentence about listening instead of being defensive whenever something you don't like is being said

I hear ya
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Aye new rap ? music is trash . Nothing else to say. I give them all the credit in the world for the hustle and making a single that gets them money but their full body of work is trash. That's today's climate it is what it is shrugs

Actually I wouldn't call it trash. The thing I like about new rap is the amount of sub-bass they use. It kinda puts what cats in New York were doing to shame. Blueprint and Stillmatic are supposed to be 5 mic classics, but production wise, the stuff that Cash Money and No Limit were doing at the time (circa 2001) had more sub-bass.

There's a lot of songs I liked when they were originally released circa 2000-2005, but in hindsight most of the stuff out of New York had zero sub-bass.

These new cats like Lil Yachty have 10X the bass of Blueprint and Stillmatic. I'm not saying he raps better, but he has more bass.

so by that logic you should love old DJ Magic Mike, DJ Fury, Nemesis, MC ADE, DJ Laz, MC Shy D, and a whole lot of other older groups 'cause they got a shitload of sub-bass.