Pete Rock defends ole heads in music and explains why newer artist music don’t get no respect ...

Options
123457»

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    Aye new rap ? music is trash . Nothing else to say. I give them all the credit in the world for the hustle and making a single that gets them money but their full body of work is trash. That's today's climate it is what it is shrugs

Actually I wouldn't call it trash. The thing I like about new rap is the amount of sub-bass they use. It kinda puts what cats in New York were doing to shame. Blueprint and Stillmatic are supposed to be 5 mic classics, but production wise, the stuff that Cash Money and No Limit were doing at the time (circa 2001) had more sub-bass.

There's a lot of songs I liked when they were originally released circa 2000-2005, but in hindsight most of the stuff out of New York had zero sub-bass.

These new cats like Lil Yachty have 10X the bass of Blueprint and Stillmatic. I'm not saying he raps better, but he has more bass.

so by that logic you should love old DJ Magic Mike, DJ Fury, Nemesis, MC ADE, DJ Laz, MC Shy D, and a whole lot of other older groups 'cause they got a shitload of sub-bass.

Yeah I can remember when 2 Live Crew, DJ Magic Mike and MC Shy D were out in the late 80s. But at the time I didn't have a proper system to listen to it so I didn't understand why people liked it.

I wish Blueprint and Stillmatic had more sub-bass.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why would you add sub bass to The Blueprint which is soul beats?
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Talkin shop with some of y'all ? is like arguin with Siri.
  • HK365
    HK365 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Options
    Why would you add sub bass to The Blueprint which is soul beats?

You wouldn’t and that’s why you know he is talking straight nonsense.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how can Pete be bitter?

he got his money an paid his dues an gets respect.

how is he bitter?

? can't criticize ? without someone using bitter.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pete Rock should hit up the younger guys he likes and help them develop. That album with Smoke DZA was good stuff. He's drawing a line in the sand which means less work, less money.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    ? is soft. Old heads used to tell you about yourself and most times it was in a harsh tone. But instead of shutting the ? up and listening ? wanna get defensive.

Idk about this, ? just were more accepting of "harsh tone" back then I guess, a ? come talk to u in a harsh tone right now u just gon shut up n take it? Please lol
    Aye new rap ? music is trash . Nothing else to say. I give them all the credit in the world for the hustle and making a single that gets them money but their full body of work is trash. That's today's climate it is what it is shrugs

There's some good n bad, the balance is great if u look past radio tho, unfortunately a lotta ? complaining are only casual or fake hip hop heads, or stuck on an era that isn't coming back. KRIT n cyhi just dropped bars for years, k dot n Cole came through, it's too much quality out here to b worried about the yachtys n what not, they for kids n white folks anyway
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Pete Rock got a point, but his attitude toward these new ? music and the game is what’s the problem. That’s the reason why most the stuff is trash. And why he don’t have the ability to move the needle in favor of what he want to hear. His brother Grap come from the same Era but I doubt he is as negative towards these new ? .
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    how can Pete be bitter?

how is he bitter?

He criticizing without without guiding n helping, young ? only know a certain way, how u mad cuz they don't go ur way n u won't even reach out n show how
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    How often y'all see Jay n nas complaining out here like that?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    how can Pete be bitter?

how is he bitter?

Nope it means you're a hater incapable of evolving beyond your own personal tastes and are not worth debating. You think outside the norm? You get chastized. Whether it's music, sports, movies, politics, social issues or video games. Everything is black and white. There are NO shades of grey. At least according to most of these geniuses here on the IC.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    ? is soft. Old heads used to tell you about yourself and most times it was in a harsh tone. But instead of shutting the ? up and listening ? wanna get defensive.

Idk about this, ? just were more accepting of "harsh tone" back then I guess, a ? come talk to u in a harsh tone right now u just gon shut up n take it? Please lol

There's some good n bad, the balance is great if u look past radio tho, unfortunately a lotta ? complaining are only casual or fake hip hop heads, or stuck on an era that isn't coming back. KRIT n cyhi just dropped bars for years, k dot n Cole came through, it's too much quality out here to b worried about the yachtys n what not, they for kids n white folks anyway

So you didn't have older brothers/cousins/uncles/FATHER/grandfather/old head on your block? When they saw you ? up they would pull you to the side and tell you. But we had respect for people older than us so we shut the ? up and listened. Pete Rock been in the game for over 20 years going on to 30 years, dude knows what he's talking about.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No ? anywhere lol
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No ? anywhere lol

That's tat EDM ?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anduin wrote: »
    Pete Rock should hit up the younger guys he likes and help them develop. That album with Smoke DZA was good stuff. He's drawing a line in the sand which means less work, less money.
    That doesn't matter to an established producer like Pete Rock. He doesn't have to look for work or money like that.
  • Maywood
    Maywood Members Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo this dude 5 grand...lmaoooooo
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

None of them dudes spin hip hop though.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No ? anywhere lol

That's tat EDM ?

I know im off topic but pay attention....Just like Stephanie Mills Said...R&B went Justin Timberlake..Soon Hip Hop Will go that way also.Black people want to fit in so bad with white folks...we're slowly fading from Soul and Real Hip Hip..To Hip-Pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJhGY9jcpw
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao and JT taking over R&B

But dude got legit hits and I see nothing wrong with Timberlake music
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like if any of these old bitter 90s rappers was to get a song or two on the radio or played in heavy rotation right now they wouldn't have ? to say. They mad cause they washed up.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No ? anywhere lol

That's tat EDM ?

I know im off topic but pay attention....Just like Stephanie Mills Said...R&B went Justin Timberlake..Soon Hip Hop Will go that way also.Black people want to fit in so bad with white folks...we're slowly fading from Soul and Real Hip Hip..To Hip-Pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJhGY9jcpw

Stephanie dropped the realness. Thats my girl