Underrated albums that are forgotten by most...

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Essence
nicolaykaytimelinedk2.jpg

I remember back in 2008, Nicolay and Kay released Time:Line, the album was underrated in my opinion and should have made a bigger buzz. The album was a concept album, flowing through the different stages of life.

The production was varied but never slipped in any sense and Kay proved he could stick to a storyline throughout, something that is rare in todays era of hip hop (as mentioned in another thread by Ninja Senses).

I feel it's an album that is forgotten and never mentioned, which is a shame considering Nicolay hasn't just blessed Phonte with great production and this album is proof of that.

Underrated.

---

Post yours.

Comments

• registeredcola
    registeredcola Members Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the videos are nice ok
  • Freak Funk
    Freak Funk Members Posts: 16
    edited August 2010
    Options
    There is so many...El Da Sensei's: Relax, Relate, Release, The B.U.M.S: Lyfe 'N' Tyme, Sonic Sum: Sanity Annex, Conglomerates: End Clone Gaming, Aloe Blacc: Shine Through, Juggaknots: Use Your Confusion, Planet Asia: The Medicine
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Freak Funk wrote: »
    There is so many...El Da Sensei's: Relax, Relate, Release, The B.U.M.S: Lyfe 'N' Tyme, Sonic Sum: Sanity Annex, Conglomerates: End Clone Gaming, Aloe Blacc: Shine Through, Juggaknots: Use Your Confusion, Planet Asia: The Medicine

Nice post, good to see you posting :tu You been checking here for a while?
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    XSccGJNYOvHVBgXqcuqiMwCDmpO9roPZwTrg_3jbxLmpX7o5gisay7hkFxjQfHUbTBI1K4sJ-GR5CTaf2KpF3IbqZEfmG0AKXGq3LkAMjIHDoe5R-eIbYzUVoxVeNGnVgA_tBVu_f52x-DQYLqSVyxjxAkCW31to2OY8wCtBwgKSC-3FKTMGFGNKcBpVfa-s0r67F2wu8B3aS6FSu_vKQuBCnag4FFML

Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It may concern.

This album was released in 1991 with a young Aceyalone, Myka 9, P.E.A.C.E., Self Jupiter, J. Sumbi, M.D. Himself. Only a 1000 copies were released at the time. This colllective got together in the midst of the rise of Gangsta rap in California. From reviews that I've seen, it has a jazzy, dense abstract production with freeflowing rhymes. There was even a thread made in the Reason claiming that the "harmonizing flow" that was known by Bone Thugs-Harmony, was first utilized by the Freestyle Fellowship. I see that a couple of sites have it online, so I do want to get a copy.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    XSccGJNYOvHVBgXqcuqiMwCDmpO9roPZwTrg_3jbxLmpX7o5gisay7hkFxjQfHUbTBI1K4sJ-GR5CTaf2KpF3IbqZEfmG0AKXGq3LkAMjIHDoe5R-eIbYzUVoxVeNGnVgA_tBVu_f52x-DQYLqSVyxjxAkCW31to2OY8wCtBwgKSC-3FKTMGFGNKcBpVfa-s0r67F2wu8B3aS6FSu_vKQuBCnag4FFML

Freestyle Fellowship - To Whom It may concern.

This album was released in 1991 with a young Aceyalone, Myka 9, P.E.A.C.E., Self Jupiter, J. Sumbi, M.D. Himself. Only a 1000 copies were released at the time. This colllective got together in the midst of the rise of Gangsta rap in California. From reviews that I've seen, it has a jazzy, dense abstract production with freeflowing rhymes. There was even a thread made in the Reason claiming that the "harmonizing flow" that was known by Bone Thugs-Harmony, was first utilized by the Freestyle Fellowship. I see that a couple of sites have it online, so I do want to get a copy.

Great post :tu

I managed to get a hold of that LP online, definitely dope, going to listen to it again after reading your post :tu Their flows are sick.

I also have their Innercity Griots LP which I thought was the more sought after LP of the two.

Don't know if they have any other releases though...

Aceyalone and Myka 9 are both nice to this day.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Company FLow-Funcrusher Plus
    Das Efx-Hold it Down
    Josh Martiez & Sleep-The Chicharones
    Grayskul-Deadlivers
    The Perceptionists-Black Dialog
    Latyrx-The Album

and theres a shitload of albums that i cant think of right now.
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    redman-doc's da name 2000
  • ex-soldier
    ex-soldier Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Davina - Best of Both Worlds
    CRU - Da ? Thirty
  • ninefiveninesix
    ninefiveninesix Members Posts: 72
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ex-soldier wrote: »
    CRU - Da ? Thirty

c/s on that CRU.....

Madd Skillz....From Where?????
  • Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dr. Octagon. - Dr Octagonecologyst

dr-octagon.jpg

Hieroglyphics - Third Eye Vision

Hieroglyphics+-+3rd+Eye+Vision+%5BCover%5D.jpg
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    Company FLow-Funcrusher Plus
    Das Efx-Hold it Down
    Josh Martiez & Sleep-The Chicharones
    Grayskul-Deadlivers
    The Perceptionists-Black Dialog
    Latyrx-The Album

and theres a shitload of albums that i cant think of right now.

Great post, I'm going to have a look through some of those, I like Latyrx and Das Efx though, as well as the Company Flow. Keep 'em coming!
    redman-doc's da name 2000

All Redman's ? !!
    CRU - Da ? Thirty

CRU album is nice, not heard Davina's.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Neslom wrote: »
    Dr. Octagon. - Dr Octagonecologyst

dr-octagon.jpg

You a fan of Ultramagnetic M.C's too, Neslom? Good to see you back.
  • Freak Funk
    Freak Funk Members Posts: 16
    edited September 2010
    Options
    into fresh things by yesh
    end clone gaming by conglomerates
    shine through by aloe blacc
    it's all happening now by lewis parker
  • ex-soldier
    ex-soldier Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Options
    [QUOTE=CRU album is nice, not heard Davina's.[/QUOTE]

Davina was/is an R&B chick who was put on by the Wu back in the mid/late 90's. Very soulful sista. She only put out 1 album but it is easily one of my favorites.
  • Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited September 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    You a fan of Ultramagnetic M.C's too, Neslom? Good to see you back.

I've heard Critical Breakdown but that's it, so I wouldn't say a fan but I do like this album by Keith. I haven't heard the follow up to Dr Octagon yet
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Davina was/is an R&B chick who was put on by the Wu back in the mid/late 90's. Very soulful sista. She only put out 1 album but it is easily one of my favorites.

Nice, I like the sound of this, I'll check it out :tu
    I've heard Critical Breakdown but that's it, so I wouldn't say a fan but I do like this album by Keith. I haven't heard the follow up to Dr Octagon yet

Cool, I know Keith has a lot of fans and have checked Critical Beatdown as well, think I own it actually, but they've never had me like they have other fans.
  • 2000hiphophead
    2000hiphophead Members Posts: 7
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What's good? I gotta give 2 cents too. Enta da Stage by Black Moon, 40 Dayz and Nights by Xzibit, and Daily Operation by Gang Starr. I feel homie on that Davina too. After the Rain and So Good used to be my joints off that album. She was like Alicia Keys before Alicia Keys cuz she produced, wrote, and performed almost all her joints.
  • 2000hiphophead
    2000hiphophead Members Posts: 7
    edited October 2010
    Options
    By the way, y'all check out my homie Munchini @ cleverelements.net Real dude, real music.
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What's good? I gotta give 2 cents too. Enta da Stage by Black Moon, 40 Dayz and Nights by Xzibit, and Daily Operation by Gang Starr. I feel homie on that Davina too. After the Rain and So Good used to be my joints off that album. She was like Alicia Keys before Alicia Keys cuz she produced, wrote, and performed almost all her joints.

Nice list, especially with XZibit on there!

I have all those albums, definitely a nice post, but I still haven't listened to Davina, I'm going to make sure I check for her.
  • dj expanium
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've heard Critical Breakdown but that's it, ....
    UltramagneticMCsCriticalBeatdownAlbumCover.jpeg
    Speaking of that album, I bought it back in 2005 with an extended version with remixes. This album was critically acclaimed and featured a young Kool Keith in 1988. The sound is ? , scratchy and heavy with samples on the album. This album was overlooked due to the fact at the same time, you had classic work released by EPMD, Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, NWA, Stetsasonic, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, The Jungle Brothers, Biz Markie. Prodigy's favorite rapper is Kool Keith, especially the song "Give the Drummer Some" which included the line for Prodigy's song "Smack My '? ' Up." Another note, the song "Ego Trippin" was used in Amerie's Why R U.
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2010
    Options
    UltramagneticMCsCriticalBeatdownAlbumCover.jpeg
    Speaking of that album, I bought it back in 2005 with an extended version with remixes. This album was critically acclaimed and featured a young Kool Keith in 1988. The sound is ? , scratchy and heavy with samples on the album. This album was overlooked due to the fact at the same time, you had classic work released by EPMD, Public Enemy, Big Daddy Kane, NWA, Stetsasonic, DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, The Jungle Brothers, Biz Markie. Prodigy's favorite rapper is Kool Keith, especially the song "Give the Drummer Some" which included the line for Prodigy's song "Smack My '? ' Up." Another note, the song "Ego Trippin" was used in Amerie's Why R U.

Do you find yourself revisiting this album a lot?

I listened to it once or twice, but it never fell into rotation... I know it gets its props, but do you find it entertaining on that level?

I've been bumpin' Low End Theory today, great album.
  • dj expanium
    edited October 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Do you find yourself revisiting this album a lot?

I listened to it once or twice, but it never fell into rotation... I know it gets its props, but do you find it entertaining on that level?

I've been bumpin' Low End Theory today, great album.
    Oh yes. I'll need to get another copy of it. But, I can play that for the rest of my life!!!!
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    SmootheDaHustler-OnceUponATimeInAmerica.jpgthis right here
  • dj expanium
    edited October 2010
    Options
    SmootheDaHustler-OnceUponATimeInAmerica.jpgthis right here
    I've heard the song "Broken Language" on Sirius Backspin radio. I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    5255-mmfood.jpg

I_Phantom.jpg

Masta_Killa_No_Said_Date.jpg

All Quality Music