Lupe Fiasco=Future G.O.A.T.??

Options

Comments

• T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    He Stopped ? With Prolyfic Right After Food And Liquor...And No I Dont Think Hes Beats Are Whats Holding Him Back From THe Next Level..I Think He Is Next Level And People Just Havent Caught Up.....Why Get Beats From J Blaze Ye Or No ID WHen You Have Very Talented In House Producer Who Caters To His Sound And Most Likely Doesnt Charge Ridicolous Prices For His Instrumentals... The Fact Is Lupe Is Creating His Own Lane And His Own Sound....? Just Need To Smarten Up

co sign, i couldn't agree more
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited March 2010
    Options

please name off these songs where he exclusively talks about skateboarding or anime or robots on The Cool.

please.

who said the shi was on the cool??
    i cant name ? that aint there but face it
    dude need better subject matter
    dont try and make this an argumet
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You are out your damn mind if you think Lupe is the most varied subject matter artist right now. lol That title will go to Kanye, Jay,Wayne,etc before it goes to Lupe. Those cats can make club bangers, chick songs, street songs,political, dboy songs, etc. That's why they are way bigger than Lupe, Lupe music doesn't reach the people these other guys can. Lupes music is very lifeless, you listen to him and you know he is technically a great rapper but you leave asking yourself WHO THE HELL IS LUPE FIASCO. His music just ain't personable, he reminds me alot of GZA.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options

define "better" subject matter, homie. i'm not even trying to debate. i'm just trying to see what you mean.

subject wise, dude is THE most varied mainstream rap artist in the last 15 years. this is fact. so when you say things like "he needs better subject matter", it makes me question the subject matter of a rapper like...lets say Jay-z, when all jay-z talks about is his past, his personal conquests,how great he is and the finances hes acquired. jay is one of my favorite rappers...and lets be real, THATS pretty much it....with some introspective consciousness thrown in there.

he could talk more about the struggles of the LBGT community for starters
    better subject matter is the topics other rappers afraid to speak on
  • ambiguous1
    ambiguous1 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

define "better" subject matter, homie. i'm not even trying to debate. i'm just trying to see what you mean.

subject wise, dude is THE most varied mainstream rap artist in the last 15 years. this is fact. so when you say things like "he needs better subject matter", it makes me question the subject matter of a rapper like...lets say Jay-z, when all jay-z talks about is his past, his personal conquests,how great he is and the finances hes acquired. jay is one of my favorite rappers...and lets be real, THATS pretty much it....with some introspective consciousness thrown in there.

But that is my thing with Lupe i really can't relate to ? with him it seems. Like i said i just hear him come off as a rapping robot. But as i'm older it's nicer to hear some personal stories, some sort of message or something i can relate too. I havent heard too many struggle type rymes from him.

Now dont get me wrong Jay doesnt really speak on struggle but he is much more peronal in his raps than Lupe and that's why people relate to him or are at least drawn into his music more.

B/c when it comes to no real connection or just rapping my ass off ? i'll listen to Deltron 3030 over anything Lupe has dropped
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think his beat selection is fine, most of the time it fits the mood of the track and what he is trying to get across.
  • deeroc22
    deeroc22 Members Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Lupe's a monster and for the most part i think his beats are straight...hes just not what the record execs want hip hop to be.. thats whats holdin him back... i dont really remember hearing him on radio since kanye's touch the Sky...he doesnt get promoted nearly as much as the Big4(Em,Jay,Wayne,50)
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Lupe is already on the next level to me.
    If you depend on an emcee's beats to make the more impressive, then you need to catch up.

Emcee's and producers are two different beasts.

Besides, Lu destroys every beat he's on regardless.
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    show me an album from Kanye, Jay, or Wayne that touches more bases than both food and liquor AND the cool.

i agree with the "personable" argument for lupe as his music is..like i said..more SOCIAL commentary than it is reflective of his life. i cant argue that.

What are the club bangers, chick songs, street songs he has made? Please show me, i'm waiting.

College dropout

All falls down - conscious/message song
    Slow Jams - party song
    Workout plan - chick song
    Through the wire - for the hiphop heads
    Never let me down - streets

Black Album

club song - Dirt of ya shoulder
    chick song - change clothes
    Hiphop head song - 99 problems
    street song - allure
    conscious/message- moment of clarity

Carter 3

conscious - tie my hands
    street - a milli
    hiphop heads - Dr. Carter
    chick songs - lollipop
    club banger - Mrs. Officer
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Lupe is already on the next level to me.
    If you depend on an emcee's beats to make the more impressive, then you need to catch up.

Emcee's and producers are two different beasts.

Besides, Lu destroys every beat he's on regardless.

ARTIST ARE COMPLETE, who the ? is tryna hear dope lyrics on ? beats. I bet you can't name a classic song on a ? beat, there has to be a balance.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    ARTIST ARE COMPLETE, who the ? is tryna hear dope lyrics on ? beats. I bet you can't name a classic song on a ? beat, there has to be a balance.

How Many ? Beats DOes Lupe Have?.....Im Not Sayin He Doesnt Have Any But Your Exaggerating....Not Everybody Wants To Spit Over Just Blaze Tired Ass Slow Down Soul Samples Or Ye New Techno Garbage....
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options

How Many ? Beats DOes Lupe Have?.....Im Not Sayin He Doesnt Have Any But Your Exaggerating....Not Everybody Wants To Spit Over Just Blaze Tired Ass Slow Down Soul Samples Or Ye New Techno Garbage....

Alot, here are a few......Go Baby, The Die,Hello Goodbye, Spaze out, ghetto story,etc. You can hear how much better he sounds on dope tracks like Hurt me soul.
  • NAWLEDGE_REIGNS
    NAWLEDGE_REIGNS Members Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Alot, here are a few......Go Baby, The Die,Hello Goodbye, Spaze out, ghetto story,etc. You can hear how much better he sounds on dope tracks like Hurt me soul.

Some Of Those Are Decent But I Wont Disagree That SOme Are Questionable...But If Every Credible Artist Runs To Same 3 Or 4 Producers For Their Signature Sound Most Album WOuld Sound The Same And Thats What Wrong With Modern Hip-Hop
    Every Dude Sounds The Same...Variety Is Gone...
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

Calling his beat selection "? " is purely opinionated, fam.

Sure, he's not going over some of my favorite producers instrumentals, but he does a great job on the beats he does get a hold of.

Lupe being able to murk ANY beat > Whether or not he chooses your favorite beats.
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    the fact that you simplify content based on 4 simple categories (street joint,girl track, club track, conscious joint) is pretty hilarious. nonetheless, i'll play your game, and add onto it...JUST to prove my point.

Food & Liquor

Sunshine- Girl Song
    I Gotcha- Club Song
    Real/Emperor's Soundtrack/Kick Push/He Says She Says-Street Songs. YEAH, he said she said. IF a song about a father abandoning his children doesnt resonate with the streets, i dont know what the ? will.

The Instrumental- the "rock/experiemental" song
    The Cool- The story-telling song
    American Terrorist/Hurt Me Soul- The "Conscious" songs

The Cool

Go Go Gadget Flow- Anthem
    The Coolest/Hip Hop Saved My Life/Gold Watch/Dumb It Down- Street Songs
    Intruder Alert/Streets on Fire/Little Weapon/Gotta Eat- Conscious songs that cover ? , immigration, drug addiction, the allure of the street life, child rebel soldiers and the threat of fast food against health
    Superstar/Paris Tokyo/Go Baby- Girl tracks
    Fighters- Introspective joint
    Hello, Goodbye- The "rock" track

so what are we saying, man? subject wise, LUPE talks about MORE things than Kanye, Wayne, or Jay EVER will. THIS, my friend, is fact. those guys are too superficial to go deeper than "i'm black..heres a story about how the govt been shittin on black people" or "i miss my homies/loved one" type tracks. and thats not to say that theres something WRONG with those types of tracks, but im saying that for you to make an argument that these rappers have more varied subject matter than lupe.....is ? laughable.

now if you woulda said " kanye, wayne, and jay are able to present different subject matter in a way that makes it easier to identify with", i sorta would have been able to see where you are coming from.

but thats not the case.

You are out your damn mind if you think those songs are club and chicks songs and you clearly don't under what streets song are too; streets songs have to have a hard edge to them and the dboys,trap ? , block ? , etc relate to them. Not to mention everything else you mention has been touch on with more success by these other guys, Jay had the rock thing with 99 problems, spoke to dead beat dads with Meet the Parents, Katrina on Kingdome come. Wayne address New Orleans with Tie my hands, Kanye addressed racism, conflict diamonds, materialism,etc. They've all done it on a more successful level too.
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Some Of Those Are Decent But I Wont Disagree That SOme Are Questionable...But If Every Credible Artist Runs To Same 3 Or 4 Producers For Their Signature Sound Most Album WOuld Sound The Same And Thats What Wrong With Modern Hip-Hop
    Every Dude Sounds The Same...Variety Is Gone...

Maybe he needs to find his sound like some rappers do, there are so many dope ? out here not getting used (Buckwild, Pete Rock, Mike Dean, Organize Noize, Battlecat, D. Dot, Stevie J, Hangmen 3,etc).
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    the fact that you simplify content based on 4 simple categories (street joint,girl track, club track, conscious joint) is pretty hilarious. nonetheless, i'll play your game, and add onto it...JUST to prove my point.

Food & Liquor

Sunshine- Girl Song
    I Gotcha- Club Song
    Real/Emperor's Soundtrack/Kick Push/He Says She Says-Street Songs. YEAH, he said she said. IF a song about a father abandoning his children doesnt resonate with the streets, i dont know what the ? will.

The Instrumental- the "rock/experiemental" song
    The Cool- The story-telling song
    American Terrorist/Hurt Me Soul- The "Conscious" songs

The Cool

Go Go Gadget Flow- Anthem
    The Coolest/Hip Hop Saved My Life/Gold Watch/Dumb It Down- Street Songs
    Intruder Alert/Streets on Fire/Little Weapon/Gotta Eat- Conscious songs that cover ? , immigration, drug addiction, the allure of the street life, child rebel soldiers and the threat of fast food against health
    Superstar/Paris Tokyo/Go Baby- Girl tracks
    Fighters- Introspective joint
    Hello, Goodbye- The "rock" track

so what are we saying, man? subject wise, LUPE talks about MORE things than Kanye, Wayne, or Jay EVER will. THIS, my friend, is fact. those guys are too superficial to go deeper than "i'm black..heres a story about how the govt been shittin on black people" or "i miss my homies/loved one" type tracks. and thats not to say that theres something WRONG with those types of tracks, but im saying that for you to make an argument that these rappers have more varied subject matter than lupe.....is ? laughable.

now if you woulda said " kanye, wayne, and jay are able to present different subject matter in a way that makes it easier to identify with", i sorta would have been able to see where you are coming from.

but thats not the case.

The Coolest wasnt a street song
    I gotcha was not a club song
    kick push was not street
    He Says She Says wasnt street
    Hip Hop saved my Life wasnt street
    Superstar wasnt for girls
    you didnt classify the songs rite
    He Say She Say is more concious
    kick push was about skateboarding
    Gota Eat was more of a concept
    I gotcha was filler if you ask me
    Ye got more subjecy matter than Lupe
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    actually Lupe did it after Kanye
    seeing as he used his beat and all
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    name em off, homie. list off the songs and their "subject matter". i'll wait for that. cuz im an avid kanye fan, just like im an avid jay fan...just like im an avid lupe fan. im interested to see what u say.

DEFINE "street" songs.

DEFINE "CLUB" songs.

? , i've heard them play "Lookin Ass ? " at the club. does that make it a club song? on the flip side of that, they were playing JESUS WALKS in the club. Does that make it a club song?

i shouldnt have to define street or club song because we all know
    why waste my time
    point is I gotcha was not a club song. it was filler and shouldnt have made the album
    Jesus Walks had impact. it got played in Church so whats your point
    Lookin Ass ? or Lookin Boy whichever was a hit and could be played in that setting
    never heard of a DJ spinning iI gotcha at a club
  • ItzGravitation
    edited March 2010
    Options
    lol...u stay showing how much you really know.

The first version of "Diamonds" (the version they did a video for, NOT the remix with Jay-z) is about Kanye & Rocafella Records.

Lupe heard the beat, and made a record about Conflict Diamonds from Sierra Lione, which is called Conflict Diamonds on Farenheit 1/15 pt 3.

After that, Kanye somehow decided to make a NEW version of "Diamonds", but this time rapping about actual Conflict Diamonds.

aimt nobody tryna hear that nonsense
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i clearly understand what club and street songs are. i think you need to re-listen to "Emperor's Soundtrack", its a street song. Just like "I Gotcha" is a club song. You may not agree with it or would play at it a club you'd go to...but thats what it is.

this is the argument; Lupe Fiasco has the most varied subject matter of any mainstream rapper in the last 15 years or so.

What you did, was provide me with examples of how other rappers have "certain types of tracks", so what i did was come back at you to show u that lupe has "certain types of tracks".

u say "jay did the rock thing with 99 problems"...but what the ? was jay-z talking about? nothing.

lupe has addressed ALL of those things PLUS things that those rappers never would. he can rap about anything they rap about...but they cant rap about the same things he raps about. lets flip the script for a second.

wheres lupe's "i got money" track. wheres lupe's "i cant wait to ? with these hos" track. wheres lupe's "make it rain" type song. wheres lupe "im better than you because i have more money" song?
    no where, because dude isnt chasing the radio like wayne, kanye and jay are.

and btw, kanye did conflict diamonds...pretty much after he heard Lupe do it.

so what are we talking about?

99 problems - verse 1 - address how shady people the industry is, how rappers are view intelligent wise - verse - 2- police harrassment and racism - verse 3 - ignorant ? who try to pop off ?

So let me guess, you're one of those judge ? by their singles people and don't look at lyrics in the context of where rappers are in their lives, well let me just ? on your whole argument right now. Lol at chasing the radio, ? outta here with your sorry ass excuse for why Lupe hasn't blown up. The audience came to Jay and Kanye, not the other way around.

Jay-z - i'm not rich, not yet anyways but i relate to Jay more than any rapper ever and i ain't ? no ? on Beyonce level or none of that ? . Despite when yall try to simplify dudes career as materialism, ? , and money; i relate to the success, making it despite a deadbeat dad, working with what you got, investing in yourself when no one believes in you,etc. THERE ARE ALOT OF JAY-Z OUT THERE, i don't mean money either but ? who came from nothing, was never given ? , and expected anything from. Jay-z life is the black man livfein this country (not given a ? about), and that's why people respect his story so much. If all you hear is materialism, that's on you, and i don't see how you can knock the man for rapping what he lives about.

Kanye - Kanye is the dude that represent the ? who is just being himself and aint a thug. He never sold out or pretended to be someone who he is not, and you saw his growth troughout his whole career, none of his albums sound alike. He is also not scared to touch on any subject (homophobia, conflict diamonds, the music industry,etc). Dude has a presence that all the great artist have to make them want to follow them his whole career.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I could of sworn the girl songs were Tokeyo Paris, My Sunshine, and Go Baby... not to mention is mixtape ?
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • usmarin3
    edited March 2010
    Options
    i just said im just as much of an avid jay/kanye fan as i am with lupe. i shouldnt have said that 99 problems was about NOTHING, because, essentially, it does have substance. i can say when im wrong, and i was wrong there. there are much better examples of jay songs about nothing than 99 problems..and thats what i should have said.

my argument is clear...lupe fiasco has the most varied subject matter of any mainstream rap artist in the last 15 years.

why you relate to jay-z is irrelevant, here. though i must say, its a cool story, bro. but its not what my argument/premise of debate is about. same with your schpeal about kanye. btw, kanye doesnt have ONE song that openly addresses homophobia. Hes said it in interviews and ? , but never in song. He touches on a bunch of subjects that most rappers wouldnt....yes. but he doesnt cover more topics than Lupe.

and btw, jay-z was the person that told lupe fiasco not to chase the radio....which is why he's in the pocket he's in. u accuse me of not looking at lyrics/songs in the context of where rappers are in their lives, which is a completely bogus accusation to begin with, but you seem to be guilty of what you accuse me of.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/music/beyond-bentleys-and-chains/2010/02/25/1266687120021.html

so while i fully get why you relate to jay-z/kanye and all that, that doesnt explain how he touches on more subjects than lupe...which is the point i've been pressing the ENTIRE time.

I still don't see how he touches on more topics dude, but it's all opion and i don't feel like going back and forward.
  • CTYO
    CTYO Members Posts: 407
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The Coolest wasnt a street song
    I gotcha was not a club song
    kick push was not street
    He Says She Says wasnt street
    Hip Hop saved my Life wasnt street
    Superstar wasnt for girls
    you didnt classify the songs rite
    He Say She Say is more concious