Who Do YOU Think Is THE BEST RAPPER ALIVE???...

Options

Comments

• FieldTripsToTheHood
    FieldTripsToTheHood Members Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm probably gonna get ? on for this but...KRS-One.
    To me GOAT is more than just being the best lyricist...IMO, when you look at/hear KRS-One he embodies hip-hop.
    Dude had a message from day #1
    He stayed true to hip-hop. Didn't "sell out" for money or fame.
    He creates awareness.
    Founded Stop the Violence movement.
    Founded the Temple of Hip Hop.
    Dude spits fire on freestyles, diss tracks, singles, collaborations, and complete albums.
    He's a film vet.

I'm a huge Nas fan but he ain't GOAT. Hip-hop is bigger than Nas and KRS-One understands that.

Just my opinion.

again just my opinion.
    What has Nas done for hip-hop? I'm hard pressed to come up with anything. I was just looking up charities and/or humanitarian efforts he supports and couldn't come up with anything.
    I'm a Nas fan. No ? . To me the greatest of all time is more than just a lyricist.

No hate...just spurring this convo. Lots of heads sayin Nas but not saying why. I will agree he's dope. 100%! But is he better than KRS-One just because he had more exposure?

Not in my mind.
  • Niggersauce
    Niggersauce Members Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    again just my opinion.
    What has Nas done for hip-hop? I'm hard pressed to come up with anything. I was just looking up charities and/or humanitarian efforts he supports and couldn't come up with anything.
    I'm a Nas fan. No ? . To me the greatest of all time is more than just a lyricist.

No hate...just spurring this convo. Lots of heads sayin Nas but not saying why. I will agree he's dope. 100%! But is he better than KRS-One just because he had more exposure?

Not in my mind.

Well your opinion is well respected, ill toss mine out.

Not only is nas lyrical, and it shows that he puts alot of time and effort into his music. But with almost every song nas is putting a concept together that makes you think, makes you want to check on some of the verses he is saying for historical evidence. That in my mind is moving the people to think and research things instead of just taking them for what someone said and spewing ? to thier friends and thier young ones. That in itself is progressing.

While people are fact checking on jay's "red or blue pill" line, people are checking for nas's historical lines about knowledge being stolen from the african schools. Nas is also a testiment of a man that didnt have to sell out to make it.

Im not a nas stan, Eminem is my favorite rapper. But nas is the best.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited August 2010
    Options
    word. That sounded like a well thought out opinion. Respect.
  • Africa United
    Africa United Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    again just my opinion.

Not in my mind.
    Firstly,I respect your opinon.What has Nas done for hiphop?Damn, I never thought I´ll hear that question. Nas is almost the embodiment of hiphop in the mainstream. And even if Nas did contribute to a charity, he doesn´t need to make everyone know.
    Nas was a prodigy who we watched grew up in front of our eyes. His music and lyrics have been following each phase/stage in his life and there´s nothing more hiphop than rapping about real stuff you´re going through. I respect your opinion about KRS, but you shouldn´t put Nas down to justify your choice.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ckalokoh wrote: »
    Firstly,I respect your opinon.What has Nas done for hiphop?Damn, I never thought I´ll hear that question. Nas is almost the embodiment of hiphop in the mainstream. And even if Nas did contribute to a charity, he doesn´t need to make everyone know.
    Nas was a prodigy who we watched grew up in front of our eyes. His music and lyrics have been following each phase/stage in his life and there´s nothing more hiphop than rapping about real stuff you´re going through. I respect your opinion about KRS, but you shouldn´t put Nas down to justify your choice.

I hope it didn't come off like I was putting Nas down. I honestly tried not make it sound that way. I respect Nas for everything you mentioned. I should have rephrased "what has Nas done for hip-hop?"....I was trying to say, outside of being a thought provoking lyricist what has he done for hip-hop.?

I agree on every level that his lyrics, and the stories within, will be dissected for decades but what else does he have as a legacy though?? The guy that titled his album N!gger? The guy with the album cover that had lashes on his back in the shape of an N?

And you had mentioned something about the possibility of him donating to charity or humanitarian efforts without seeking publicity for it. That may be. But we both know it's not.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Truthfully, I wish someone would argue for someone besides Nas. It would make this much easier for me.
  • piffhuxtable
    piffhuxtable Members Posts: 169
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco is the best rapper alive right now, and truthfully lyrically better than Nas ever was. Today if Nas got on a track on Lupe he would look average. All-time I gotta go with Jay as an overall emcee.
  • FieldTripsToTheHood
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I respectfully yawn.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lupe.

Just my personal opinion.

? been recently picking some wack beats though, and rapping in a strange accent.
  • iamricherich
    iamricherich Members Posts: 252 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Gucci Mane the eskimo takes this
  • Niggersauce
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Truthfully, I wish someone would argue for someone besides Nas. It would make this much easier for me.

Agreed, this thread would be alot more insightful if there were thought out support statements.
  • Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    since Im my biggest fan, Ima say me

I can relate to the music, cuz I made it

I know most of the ? Im spittin is fact, w/ my opinion mix in

I have not & will not dumb down my lyrics to double my dollas

every track I get on I wreck it
    I make my own beats

Im rappin from the heart, not the wallet

even tho I know Im the only one who feels this, I can go toe2toe w/ any one

Im bringin reality rap back to the forefront
    & I made this beat
  • brombonze
    brombonze Members Posts: 406
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    With all due respect to every poster here... I stated it out on the very first post

One name... one rapper. Period.
  • Old Fart
    Old Fart Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    KRS-One
  • Old Fart
    Old Fart Members Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm probably gonna get ? on for this but...KRS-One.
    To me GOAT is more than just being the best lyricist...IMO, when you look at/hear KRS-One he embodies hip-hop.
    Dude had a message from day #1
    He stayed true to hip-hop. Didn't "sell out" for money or fame.
    He creates awareness.
    Founded Stop the Violence movement.
    Founded the Temple of Hip Hop.
    Dude spits fire on freestyles, diss tracks, singles, collaborations, and complete albums.
    He's a film vet.

I'm a huge Nas fan but he ain't GOAT. Hip-hop is bigger than Nas and KRS-One understands that.

Just my opinion.

saying KRS shouldn't require an explanation. those that have been up on him already know and the youngins who haven't and have to get it explained to them still won't feel him. So just name him and ? who don't agree with it.
  • Niggersauce
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Nas>eminem>x100 the camel
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Based on my calculations in this thread, the votes counted are as follows:

Nas - 17
    Jay Z - 11
    Eminem - 10
    Lupe Fiasco - 3
    KanYe West - 3
    KRS-One - 2
    Lil' Wayne - 2

The rest are all with a vote each:

Slick Rick
    Method Man
    ES-BEE
    Andre 3000
    Devin the Dude
    Mos Def
    Memphis Bleek
    Brian Pumper
    Sean Price
    Scarface
    Pharoahe Monch
    Blu
    Gucci Mane
    Brian. B
    Joell Ortiz

Edit: There may be minimal errors with the counting due to some posters not voting properly (2 names) but anyone who doubts the results is free to check the thread.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'll say Nas too (if we're still allowed to post)
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Isn't it against the space and time continuum for nas to win?
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    jay-z - im already g.o.a.t im just waiting for my billy.............hov couldnt have said better
  • MurillaNinjaScrilla
    MurillaNinjaScrilla Members Posts: 564
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Jay-Z
    kdjfkjsdlkksfdjd
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    nas.jpg

Nas