Science versus Religion in the Black Community

Options

Comments

• Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    White Christians do not have racial motivations for distrusting "white science."

Which is why the issue discussed in the Howard debate is what it is.

That's true.

White Christians just have the theological motivations for attacking science. I'm at work, but I'll be listening to the debate when I get home. It sounds interesting.
  • louis the great
    louis the great Members Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    whattt??

lol

Prove we came from monkeys? Oh no thats right they were special monkeys that ass ? some other ? monkeys that dont exist anymore and then Humans came along...................... ?

The Sumerians had a better grip on how Life was started than the ? story Darwin gave you guys.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Thats the whole point you have no idea how much other stuff they could have had/have to better the Human Race and if Tesla which he did have a way to give EVERYBODY FREE ENERGY in the 20's then your as in the dark as the people you claim to be ignorant. Just sayin. Also nobody said there was a conspiracy to destroy his work LOL JP Morgan simply pulled out once he realized there was no money to be made in FREE ENERGY, and if in some way you think JP Morgan wasnt abt makein money then I think you need to do a little more research on him.

Darwin????????????? He's a joke IMO and his theories are just that theory. Unproven.

What Morgan balked at was the inability to track or meter energy usage. In Tesla system anyone could draw on the power without anyway to track they were using it. The company generating the power would still have to pay to produce it though. They would still have to pay to build the plant and run it without anyway of billing anyone. The energy was not free to make though.
  • whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Prove we came from monkeys? Oh no thats right they were special monkeys that ass ? some other ? monkeys that dont exist anymore and then Humans came along...................... ?

The Sumerians had a better grip on how Life was started than the ? story Darwin gave you guys.

This is actually the South Park version of evolution but I did not think anyone actually thought that was what evolution was. :)
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Prove we came from monkeys?

This ? response was predicted on page one.

Evolution does not propose that we came from monkeys.

Why are you unaware of this?
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options

you should watch the first 5 minutes of the vid. Dawkins talks about it.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why does the threadstarter care what Black people do?

why does a panel at Howard University care what black people do?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You can't answer a question?

You can't watch real black intellectuals debate an issue pertinent to your community?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So are you going to answer my original question without continually dodging it?

You're seemingly convinced that it's a valid question worthy of an answer, which is hilarious.

Like I told dude, this is a black website. If I come here, I'm gonna talk about black ? . If I came here talking about white ? , you would say "We don't care, take that to a white forum."
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So, again, why are you so interested in what Black people do, since you constantly make threads about us?

Why are you so interested in me personally instead of the topic of the thread?

Oh right, it's because I consistently make you look and feel like a fool.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Not only was your question adequately answered, but you're also making your entire culture look foolish by being sidetracked instead of engaging in the discussion at hand. As a lesbian, you must have an unorthodox view on the black church and its relationship with science education, especially the genetics of sexual preference. But instead of offering what could be valuable commentary on that, you are effectively trolled.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I answered that more than once.

Deal with it.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Like I said, it's a black forum.

We talk about black business here.
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    theres no point in even speaking on this dead topic
  • Skeratch
    Skeratch Members Posts: 1,395 ✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I have to agree that mega-churches have done more harm than good.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    whats is the alternative to the Black church?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    whats is the alternative to the Black church?

humanism, according to the theologian, urban studies professor, and black Howard grad student in the vid
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Peep that vid called Death of the Electric Car, it sheds a ton of light on the topic. Not only could by now in 2010 we would have been Gas Free-
    having seen the documentary in question, i am at a loss to understand how it implied we would have been "gas free" by 2010.
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited October 2010
    Options
    thread needs to be moved back to GNS where more folks will see it or someone should jus remake the thread in GNS with a dumbed down title
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Thread premise is false and myopic.

Science is not just e=mc squared or lab experiments. Science is Religion if properly understood. Black people in America are a social experiment. Historically speaking Black people did not separate the two. There are people who live their lives(Religion), according to a progressive knowledge based scientific approach. They start with a premise or observation and begin to experiment and adjust their lives accordingly.

Case in point. During the colonial times, White people where dying like flies due to smallpox. Cotton Mather saw black slaves performing crude inoculations on each other. He inquired about what they were doing and they told him they learned this back home to protect themselves from illnesses. He of course, stole the idea and pawned it off as his own. But I digress, black people used their knowledge of nature and their environment to survive and thrive under the harshest conditions. This is Science.

The Black Church was a major facilitator of this process minus the spooky ignorant doctrine. It was the staff to the rod, which helped black people survive.

Black people would be A1 fools to throw away true religion and grasp a scientific process that is controlled by people who's knowledge is not absolute and motives are tainted. White people have done this and the results are disastrous at best.

White peoples application of the study of science didn't get black people through the horrors of chattel slavery and Jim crow. Religion and their connection to nature did.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind (albert einstein lol)

The sickest plight regarding religious and science integration/correlation/synchronisation was written in fasl al-maqal (dont know the english translation) by ibn rushd(known in the west as 'averroes'.....in essence there is no conflict between science and religion(depending on your perception off course) if interested I suggest you get his work.

I don't know about all this science vs. religion in the US thing, I don't think it's wise or truthfull to label individuel persons in a box and pretend as if generalizations of these kinds have any truth to them at all. These superficial segments most of you preach reek of illusions and therfor ? . a 'black' american might hold extra value twoards superstituos stuff, another 'black' american doesnot.....essence is that some individuels hold more value to superstituos things instead of reason etc, it has nothing to do with their background....maybe just a lil but it isn't exceptional compared to people that you label differently.....yes in your mind it might but from an objective point of view(read realistic, no personal strings etc attached) it mos def is not......if you continou to ignore the essence of the problem and continue in this superficial illusion regarding culture and so called race than you (son) are forever trapped in what you american ? 's call the 'white mans world'........you are keeping the apartheid state of mind alive.....which in essence is nothing but pathetic.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind (albert einstein lol)

The sickest plight regarding religious and science integration/correlation/synchronisation was written in fasl al-maqal (dont know the english translation) by ibn rushd(known in the west as 'averroes'.....in essence there is no conflict between science and religion(depending on your perception off course) if interested I suggest you get his work.

I don't know about all this science vs. religion in the US thing, I don't think it's wise or truthfull to label individuel persons in a box and pretend as if generalizations of these kinds have any truth to them at all. These superficial segments most of you preach reek of illusions and therfor ? . a 'black' american might hold extra value twoards superstituos stuff, another 'black' american doesnot.....essence is that some individuels hold more value to superstituos things instead of reason etc, it has nothing to do with their background....maybe just a lil but it isn't exceptional compared to people that you label differently.....yes in your mind it might but from an objective point of view(read realistic, no personal strings etc attached) it mos def is not......if you continou to ignore the essence of the problem and continue in this superficial illusion regarding culture and so called race than you (son) are forever trapped in what you american ? 's call the 'white mans world'........you are keeping the apartheid state of mind alive.....which in essence is nothing but pathetic.

Cosign the first two paragraphs. I x'ed the rest of that ? out because you entered into the land of What the fu@# is he saying after that.

Stick to banging swedish nannies, and leave black people in America out of your social analysis. You don't know enough of their history obviously.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Cosign the first two paragraphs. I x'ed the rest of that ? out because you entered into the land of What the fu@# is he saying after that.

Stick to banging swedish nannies, and leave black people in America out of your social analysis. You don't know enough of their history obviously.

lol yeah forgive my ignorance

I'm staying clear of sweden btw, they are shootin foreigners over there when nightfalls damnit(no joke, read up on malmo)
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Science is Religion if properly understood.

Science is an empirical method.

Religion immediately eschews evidence.

They are not the same.

As usual, you are full of ? .
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Basically. This is why I don't take this cave man's thread seriously.

You can ignore the entire thread and watch the one-hour discussion that took place at black-ass Howard University, if you are so bigoted against white people that you cannot even read what they type.