The Official "Espn First Take , FS1 Undisputed, Sportscenter , Sports Radio, Podcasts etc" Thread.

Options

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • elgato
    elgato Members Posts: 216 ✭✭
    Options
    Jemele's an idiot. ESPN wants to scrap her and Mike's hour of Sportscenter so bad to get back in the graces of pro-Trump hillbillies. She's making it easy for them. At least have a buffer period of a few months before you start back up your political related tweets. Don't keep doing it right after you just got a warning and all of white America is watching you like a hawk, just waiting to tattle to ESPN that you're not following their warning. I bet Jerry Jones made a call to. She walked right into that one. Don't make it easy on them. Be smarter.

I'm gonna be mad if she costs Michael his job. He's gonna back her no matter what, but she keeps putting him in this situation.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    That tweet was stupid af by Jemele. Advising people to boycott NFL advertisers (which ESPN is one of) gives those people a valid reason to suspend/fire her.
  • elgato
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    elgato wrote: »
    Jemele's an idiot. ESPN wants to scrap her and Mike's hour of Sportscenter so bad to get back in the graces of pro-Trump hillbillies. She's making it easy for them. At least have a buffer period of a few months before you start back up your political related tweets. Don't keep doing it right after you just got a warning and all of white America is watching you like a hawk, just waiting to tattle to ESPN that you're not following their warning. I bet Jerry Jones made a call to. She walked right into that one. Don't make it easy on them. Be smarter.

I'm gonna be mad if she costs Michael his job. He's gonna back her no matter what, but she keeps putting him in this situation.

She's an idiot for doing what people say those in her position should do and speak out? People stay talking about looking past your paycheck and doing the right thing but then call those who do idiots...

This is why I kept saying in the election threads last year majority of people ain't built to sacrifice the way they're demanding others do

You're an idiot, too. No one's telling her to not speak out. She just needs to be smart and strategic about it. Because if she gets fired, then she no longer has a platform to "speak out" on. Stop thinking sacrifice means being unemployed. A lot of black people unemployed helps no one. You get into positions of power and then strategically use that power to inspire change. But the key is being in a position of power. No one listens to people in the unemployment line.

If Jemele and Mike's show gets cancelled, then expect ESPN to also put a muzzle on First Take. Then there's no more "speaking out".
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

She's an idiot for doing what people say those in her position should do and speak out? People stay talking about looking past your paycheck and doing the right thing but then call those who do idiots...

This is why I kept saying in the election threads last year majority of people ain't built to sacrifice the way they're demanding others do

You're an idiot, too. No one's telling her to not speak out. She just needs to be smart and strategic about it. Because if she gets fired, then she no longer has a platform to "speak out" on. Stop thinking sacrifice means being unemployed. A lot of black people unemployed helps no one. You get into positions of power and then strategically use that power to inspire change. But the key is being in a position of power. No one listens to people in the unemployment line.

If Jemele and Mike's show gets cancelled, then expect ESPN to also put a muzzle on First Take. Then there's no more "speaking out".

You have a point but I'm not mad at the lady for speaking her truth. Not to mention the fact that she did use her position of power to speak out against social injustice. I commend the lady for not being afraid

Hopefully she has her money straight and consumers will back her. I know I for 1 don't mess with ESPN like that anyway and I most definitely will stop my lone support of viewing NBA games on that network if they fire her.

• Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That tweet was stupid af by Jemele. Advising people to boycott NFL advertisers (which ESPN is one of) gives those people a valid reason to suspend/fire her.

Stephan A told people to boycott the NBA during the Sterling incident and no suspension. What's stupid about her tweet exactly? I commend her for not being a tool like so many blacks in her position.

SAS is a more valuable employee and he wasn't already in the hot seat before he spoke out.

She's not wrong for speaking out but going directly against your employer when there's already people gunning for you (the white house was campaigning to get her fired) is stupid.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

For one in this day and age there are far too many media outlets to solely depend on one. A woman in her position with her resume will get hired somewhere else if ESPN is ever dumb enough to let her go. Lets not pretend she doesn't have some leverage because of her decade plus in the business. Hell the reason she has the platform she does now is because of the following her and Michael Smith built up from their podcast. You think all that just disappears if she's let go by ESPN?

Yes you have to be strategic about when and what you say...but to expect someome who made their name being outspoken about issues to all of a sudden just be quiet is not likely. And if you've followed her career then you would know that's not a game shes about. The very thing you're calling her an idiot for is what got her the platform she has now.
  • elgato
    Options

For one in this day and age there are far too many media outlets to solely depend on one. A woman in her position with her resume will get hired somewhere else if ESPN is ever dumb enough to let her go. Lets not pretend she doesn't have some leverage because of her decade plus in the business. Hell the reason she has the platform she does now is because of the following her and Michael Smith built up from their podcast. You think all that just disappears if she's let go by ESPN?

Yes you have to be strategic about when and what you say...but to expect someome who made their name being outspoken about issues to all of a sudden just be quiet is not likely. And if you've followed her career then you would know that's not a game shes about. The very thing you're calling her an idiot for is what got her the platform she has now.

You're an idiot if you think Jemele and Michael don't want to be at ESPN over ANY other alternative. Otherwise, they would've just resigned instead of Jemele accepting the 2 week suspension. She's going to come back and play ball because she wants to be at ESPN. Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong suit. I never said for her to be quiet. I said she needs to be strategic. Acting out so soon after a 1st warning from your employer, and doing so by calling on your employer's business partner (an NFL team) to lose money is pure stupidity on her part. What Jemele did is like a star NBA player who gets his 5th foul in a playoff game; he thinks he has free reign the rest of the game because hey the ref won't call a 6th foul on me and take me out the game. Jemele thought the warning ESPN gave her would have no follow through. She thought wrong. ESPN is ready and willing to call that 6th foul on her. And if she let's it get to that point, it's HER fault. Smarten up.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're an idiot if you think Jemele and Michael don't want to be at ESPN over ANY other alternative. Otherwise, they would've just resigned instead of Jemele accepting the 2 week suspension. She's going to come back and play ball because she wants to be at ESPN. Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong suit. I never said for her to be quiet. I said she needs to be strategic. Acting out so soon after a 1st warning from your employer, and doing so by calling on your employer's business partner (an NFL team) to lose money is pure stupidity on her part. What Jemele did is like a star NBA player who gets his 5th foul in a playoff game; he thinks he has free reign the rest of the game because hey the ref won't call a 6th foul on me and take me out the game. Jemele thought the warning ESPN gave her would have no follow through. She thought wrong. ESPN is ready and willing to call that 6th foul on her. And if she let's it get to that point, it's HER fault. Smarten up.

She loves her ESPN job

Jemele Hill Cried in Meeting with ESPN President John Skipper During Donald Trump Twitter Controversy

http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/27/jemele-hill-cried-in-meeting-with-espn-president-john-skipper-during-donald-trump-twitter-controversy/

@blackrain @elgato
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Stephan A told people to boycott the NBA during the Sterling incident and no suspension. What's stupid about her tweet exactly? I commend her for not being a tool like so many blacks in her position.

She said to boycott sponsors

Espn ratings have been for 2 years...thats why they fire 100+ people
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BOMM is back!! officially!
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

The ball is in your court ESPN

Trump is making cowards out of organizations
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At the “mike”
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im tired of Stephen a smith wishy washy ass.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Young Turks offered her a job on their show today.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bill Simmons already showed the blueprint and proved that ESPN isn't the only show in town

She can create her own platform and still get her message out
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The longer this ? drags on, the bigger shitshow it becomes. Props to Jemele for standing up for what she believes in. ? ESPN & the NFL.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill Simmons already showed the blueprint and proved that ESPN isn't the only show in town

I like Jemele Hill.. But I don’t think if she started her own sports related platform.. That a lot ? would flock to it.. SC6 does decent in the ratings.. but ? aren't checking for that show religious like that.. I like her opinions on certain social issues more than her overall opinions on sports...
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Really.. Bill Simmons website ‘The Ringer’ is already on their third co-partnership to promote the sites content.. Plus his Boston sports propaganda show on HBO flopped hard as hell.. IMO.. I don’t think he’s the example you should be using to make that point...