The Official Fox Comicbook Cinematic Universe Thread - Coming Soon (Deadpool 2 June 2018)

Options

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    When did they say it wasn't in the same universe the movies/Legion? They've been saying the contrary all along.

I've read legion is in the mcu
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When did they say it wasn't in the same universe the movies/Legion? They've been saying the contrary all along.

Legion is part of the X-Men movie universe not the MCU. The Gifted according to Fox, Bryan Singer and Simon Kinsberg months ago is also part of the X-Men movie verse. black ceasar's post is the first time I heard that it might not be.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

Legion is part of the X-Men movie universe not the MCU. The Gifted according to Fox, Bryan Singer and Simon Kinsberg months ago is also part of the X-Men movie verse. black ceasar's post is the first time I heard that it might not be.

Just saying what I've read through multiple sources. I'm surprised you aint in the know
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just saying what I've read through multiple sources. I'm surprised you aint in the know

It's not MCU though. Marvel gave the X-Men live action TV rights to Fox as a trade for the skrulls (not Super Skrull though he's still at Fox) and Ego the Living Planet who were tied up with the F4 movie rights. As well Scarlet Witch and a version of Quicksilver that functions as her brother which was tied up with the X-Men movie rights.

In return Fox got the X live action TV rights which is why we now have Legion and The Gifted and they also got to use the Negasonic Teenage Warhead name even though they had to change the character herself.

Marvel's function on these shows is as licensers and exec producers but Marvel Studios is not creatively involved at all. Fox's X-Men team led by Singer and Kinberg are.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Here you go:

https://www.romper.com/p/how-is-the-gifted-connected-to-the-x-men-movies-meet-a-new-group-of-mutants-2748687

Mutants are coming to FOX in the all new TV series, The Gifted. However, it's not the mutants Marvel fans have come to know and love on the big screen. So how is The Gifted connected to the X-Men, if at all? Well, it's a little complicated.

While The Gifted does take place in the same universe as X-Men, the events of The Gifted are happening in an alternate reality.

http://nerdist.com/the-gifted-x-men-connections-tca-fox/

“Some of the connections are not connections to the movies, they are connections to the larger mythology in the universe of the X-Men,” Nix said. “So watch and see.”

Unlike how little Agents of SHIELD references the Avengers by name, both Nix and Loeb promise that the X-Men are going to play a huge role on The Gifted, even if those classic characters won’t show up. In fact, when the pilot picks up the X-Men have disappeared from the world, and every mutant will be worried about where they’ve gone.

“In our world, one of the things we’ll be unpacking is the specific relationship of this group of characters to the X-Men,” Nix said. “The X-Men are gone and that’s not a dodge. It’s a thing in the show and we’re going to be exploring it. It’s a huge deal in the world and it’s one of the central mysteries of the show. There’s a historical mythology. There’s not going to be a situation where the television show is driving the movies or the movies are driving the television show because the mythology we’re telling specifically avoids that.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/21/gifted-fox-comic-con-season-1-spoilers/

“One of the great favors that Days of Future Past did for all of us is establish there are many streams, so one answer is we exist in one of those streams,” executive producer Matt Nix said Friday during The Gifted‘s panel at Comic-Con, moderated by Entertainment Weekly‘s Tim Stack. “The idea is that this is definitely its own universe. We’re not in the same exact timeline as any particular movie or comic, but that said we do share some characters with the movies and comics. The idea is we’re doing our own thing. As they say, there are many streams.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/gifted-1202502911/

Speaking Friday at Comic-Con in San Diego, showrunner Matt Nix downplayed the potential for any crossover with other iterations of Marvel’s mutant franchise. “The Gifted,” according to Nix, takes place in its own unique timeline.

“One of the great favors that ‘Days of Future Past’ did for all of us is establish many streams,” Nix said, referring to the 2014 film directed by Bryan Singer. “I guess that one answer is that this is one of those many streams.”

“The Gifted,” he added, does “not share a universe with” the films or other “X-Men” series.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options

It's not MCU though. Marvel gave the X-Men live action TV rights to Fox as a trade for the skrulls (not Super Skrull though he's still at Fox) and Ego the Living Planet who were tied up with the F4 movie rights. As well Scarlet Witch and a version of Quicksilver that functions as her brother which was tied up with the X-Men movie rights.

In return Fox got the X live action TV rights which is why we now have Legion and The Gifted and they also got to use the Negasonic Teenage Warhead name even though they had to change the character herself.

Marvel's function on these shows is as licensers and exec producers but Marvel Studios is not creatively involved at all. Fox's X-Men team led by Singer and Kinberg are.

I understand that, I'm just saying what I read how marvel got the rights for this show that's why it isn't in the xmen universe. I'm not saying it's fact, just what I read
  • Broddie
    Options

Here you go:

https://www.romper.com/p/how-is-the-gifted-connected-to-the-x-men-movies-meet-a-new-group-of-mutants-2748687

Mutants are coming to FOX in the all new TV series, The Gifted. However, it's not the mutants Marvel fans have come to know and love on the big screen. So how is The Gifted connected to the X-Men, if at all? Well, it's a little complicated.

While The Gifted does take place in the same universe as X-Men, the events of The Gifted are happening in an alternate reality.

http://nerdist.com/the-gifted-x-men-connections-tca-fox/

“Some of the connections are not connections to the movies, they are connections to the larger mythology in the universe of the X-Men,” Nix said. “So watch and see.”

Unlike how little Agents of SHIELD references the Avengers by name, both Nix and Loeb promise that the X-Men are going to play a huge role on The Gifted, even if those classic characters won’t show up. In fact, when the pilot picks up the X-Men have disappeared from the world, and every mutant will be worried about where they’ve gone.

“In our world, one of the things we’ll be unpacking is the specific relationship of this group of characters to the X-Men,” Nix said. “The X-Men are gone and that’s not a dodge. It’s a thing in the show and we’re going to be exploring it. It’s a huge deal in the world and it’s one of the central mysteries of the show. There’s a historical mythology. There’s not going to be a situation where the television show is driving the movies or the movies are driving the television show because the mythology we’re telling specifically avoids that.”

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/21/gifted-fox-comic-con-season-1-spoilers/

“One of the great favors that Days of Future Past did for all of us is establish there are many streams, so one answer is we exist in one of those streams,” executive producer Matt Nix said Friday during The Gifted‘s panel at Comic-Con, moderated by Entertainment Weekly‘s Tim Stack. “The idea is that this is definitely its own universe. We’re not in the same exact timeline as any particular movie or comic, but that said we do share some characters with the movies and comics. The idea is we’re doing our own thing. As they say, there are many streams.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/gifted-1202502911/

Speaking Friday at Comic-Con in San Diego, showrunner Matt Nix downplayed the potential for any crossover with other iterations of Marvel’s mutant franchise. “The Gifted,” according to Nix, takes place in its own unique timeline.

“One of the great favors that ‘Days of Future Past’ did for all of us is establish many streams,” Nix said, referring to the 2014 film directed by Bryan Singer. “I guess that one answer is that this is one of those many streams.”

“The Gifted,” he added, does “not share a universe with” the films or other “X-Men” series.

Ok I get it. Same universe as the movies. Different dimension/timeline.
  • Broddie
    Options
    It makes sense too come to think of it since Blink is a main mutant here. They could always use her to crossover to the movie timeline.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know much about new mutants. Someone school me?
  • Broddie
    Options
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

Google.

This looks nothing like the comics besides having shades of it's popular arc demon bear saga anyway so it's not really important.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

New Mutants was another team that Charles Xavier put together. The leader of the group is Dani Moonstar. She has the power to put fear in people. She lost her powers on M-Day in the comics and has a different set of powers now, but that doesn't matter for this. They showed her in the trailer. She's the Native American.

Wolfsbane is a woman from Scotland that had a prostitute for a mother and a father that hated mutants. She turns into a Wolf. She was taken in by Charles Xavier woman Moria Taggart. (Yes the same lady from X-Men First Class and Apocalypse. She later joins X-Factor and even rolled with X-Force (Wolverine, X-23, Thunderbird, Domino, Archangel, and Elixir) for a little while where she ended up eating her own dad. She is big on being a Catholic. She was a also a teacher and had a sexual relationship with an underage student named Josh Foley aka Elixir (who later joined X-Force while she was on the team as well. During the time on X-Force she got pregnant and a baby named Tir who would end up being a key prize for the future of Earth from all the demons of hell. Her long time friend Strong Guy ends up killing her child to save Earth and teammate Monet. After that she goes to the church of James Maddox (A dupe of Jamie Maddrox aka Multiple Man.) and becomes a Deacon. She is now currently brainwashed fighting against the X-Men. (This is ongoing.) She was also in the X-Men Evolution cartoon.

Magik is the blond chick in the trailer. She is Colossus' of The X-men's little sister. (Not sure how this is going to play out in the movie universe.) She was a regular mutant, but got kidnapped and sent to limbo for a lot of years and was a demon for a time. She gets out and had been an X-Man ever since. She even was The Phoenix along with Cyclops, Colossus, Emma Frost, and Namor (The Phoenix 5. Read Avengers Vs. X-men) She currently is still with The X-men and has learned Magic from Dr. Strange.

Sunspot and Cannoball. Don't feel like going into them. They were both in the X-Men Evolution cartoon as well as the comics. You can watch the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT39hISWbJs

Sunspot (who is supposed to be who Eclipse is in The Gifted Show but isn't.) is the black shadow guy and Cannonball is the one Wolverine is racing.

Warlock is not a mutant, he's actually an alien and is Doug Ramsey's (Cypher) best friend. He looks human in the trailer.

There is rumor that Rosario Dawson (Yes old girl from Luke Cage) is in talks to play Dr. Celia Reyes in this movie as well. Celia Reyes is a doctor/mutant that has powers to create a Psioplasmic Bio-Shield.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Thread title needs an upgrade. This is next not Deadpool 2.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

this ? looks like a horror movie. damn you fox!
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

What's wrong with that?

Smartest thing Fox did was use their X-Men verse to explore different types of superhero storytelling just like the X-Men comic books.

Logan was a post-apocalyptic western. Deadpool an action comedy. Legion is a psychological thriller etc.

The actual X-Men movies handle the superheroics and even those flip it too. We got a mod spy 60s adventure in First Class and a time travel epic in Days of Future Past.

Keeps things fresh and has helped them find their own identity in this post-MCU world.

• Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What's wrong with that?

Smartest thing Fox did was use their X-Men verse to explore different types of superhero storytelling just like the X-Men comic books.

Logan was a post-apocalyptic western. Deadpool an action comedy. Legion is a psychological thriller etc.

The actual X-Men movies handle the superheroics and even those flip it too. We got a mod spy 60s adventure in First Class and a time travel epic in Days of Future Past.

Keeps things fresh and has helped them find their own identity in this post-MCU world.

All those still felt like a comic book movie.

If this movie had no title and just the trailer, it would come off as your run of the mill horror flick.
  • Broddie
    Options

What's wrong with that?

All those still felt like a comic book movie.

If this movie had no title and just the trailer, it would come off as your run of the mill horror flick.

It's a teaser trailer though. Not the best indicator. An actual trailer would be more informative about the movie's tone but we ain't there yet.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I like it . Something different.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Also keep in mind that this is taking direct influence from what was essentially a horror story set in the X-Men universe. The Demon Bear saga. Cecilia Reyes being played by that queen of the south lady is bogus as ? though.
  • Broddie
    Options
    I like it . Something different.

At least we know we won't be getting a large beaming light reaching the heavens in the middle of a city in this one.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

What's wrong with that?

EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH THIS ? !
    logan , Deadpool and xmen dofp was the only thing fox did right out of about 10 movies. we had 7 movies of x men in motorcycle suits. the new mutant are supposed to be about kids who discovered their new powers and wind up at Xavier's school for the gifted . this looks like a bunch of random kids in an abandoned dungeon like physche ward or hospital with is the setting for a ? ' slasher flick. this isn't new mutants at all. I guess fox finally realized they suck when it comes to the superhero genre so they added a twist to their movies. so tell me what genre or direction was they going with that FF remake? to me at that point they just said ? it we don't give a damn anymore.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Fantastic Four reboot was originally approached as body horror sci-fi by Josh Trank. Like a Cronenberg movie with superheroes but Fox went and ? that all the way up for him. I still refuse to ever watch it.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also keep in mind that this is taking direct influence from what was essentially a horror story set in the X-Men universe. The Demon Bear saga. Cecilia Reyes being played by that queen of the south lady is bogus as ? though.

Got'cha. Now the trailer makes a lil more sense.

• Broddie
    Options
    Yeah they're basically the Teen Titans to the X-Men's Justice League.