The Official Fox Comicbook Cinematic Universe Thread - Coming Soon (Deadpool 2 June 2018)

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain needs gingko biloba.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Iron Man had to be turned into a villain/anti-hero for like 5 or 6 years (2006 - 2012) in order for readers to finally find him interesting. Let me know when that happened with say...Thor. If anything that was a character who had a much more relevant and iconic run during the 80s and into the 90s. I mean Walt ? Simonson.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Iron Man really was not anything above C list before his movie though. I'd wager before that most on this site only knew him from Ghostface references or really old cartoons.

In the comic community we mostly knew him as an alcoholic screw up and an Avenger. Nobody read his solo book enough for it to not be cancelled and relaunched pretty much on the regular. There weren't exactly Iron Man fan clubs out there. There was a point where even Dr. Strange, The Punsher and Daredevil were much more popular with comic book fans.

It's a testament to Marvel's competence that they turned that nobody into the face of mainstream superheroes today.

Lol what? You must be joking, he's been in every avengers book. Started the avengers as a team. Cartoon's new and old. When DC came out with the first Batman movie Marvel was at all time low in everything a lot of books was cancelled and those characters became a part of a team.

Besides Spiderman and Wolverine Iron Man is the most popular Marvel character.

You a old ass ? and you're going to retroactively rewrite history like this. ? 's disgusting. Where was Iron Man at before New Avengers? Same place Cap was at before Ultimates 1 and 2; oblivion.

Those runs saved them by reinventing what those characters could be. Prior to that? They were overshadowed by every other Marvel character 9 times outta 10. I was actually collecting marvel comic books back then. I remember this clearly.

Those 2 were barely factors in the Marvel universe outside of Avengers books in the 80s and 90s which is the childhood of the target audience for these movies.

The last truly great Iron Man story by that point was from the 70s. No real iconic runs through most of those decades. Especially the 90s. Character was so wack at that point that they reverted hin to a teenager.

Anyway iconic and memorable runs. That's something Daredevil, Hulk, X-Men, Spidey, Fantastic Four and even The Punisher had in the 80s and 90s. Iron Man doesn't even have one iconic villain outside of alcohol. Years later people still trying to make The Mandarin happen.

Bendis and Millar made Iron Man popular enough that Marvel pulled through with forming a studio. They got the movie going but lets not act like Iron Man was even a quarter as relevant in the Marvel Comics as he was in the MCU prior to that. Certainly nowhere near Wolverine and Spider-Man that's for sure. The Hulk and The Thing? maybe but Iron Man? Lol Most people didn't care about the guy before 2008. Including creators in the comic industry.

? I just said when Marvel was going thru bankruptcy they shut down a lot of books. Cap,Iron Man, Strange, and others had their books cancelled. They all went the team route it was more profitable to go that route. I'm not even a iron Man fan lol.

The solos didn't stay cancelled during that time for long at all. Most where relaunched under Heroes Reborn after Onslaught. I still have some of those ? books.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Too much arguing. Look, the MCU has done a great job creating new fans with traditional characters. I love that. My nephew is 10 years old and loves Captain America and Iron Man. He's gotten my brother to buy him comics and other media and he loves it all. My little cousin's favorite is Thor. It doesn't matter who was popular or not, cause Iron Man, Cap, Thor, all them are experiencing a resurgence in popularity that will last a lifetime like it did with us. Be happy Marvel characters we grew up on are thriving in an age where the comic medium was expected to die.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I caused discord amongst you guys Mission accomplished muhuhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! >:)
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    I caused discord amongst you guys Mission accomplished muhuhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! >:)

Illbot can ban you again
  • Broddie
    Options
    An X-Men movie poster that looks more like a Pink Floyd album cover.

dqsbh_rvwaa0dhw.jpg-large_large.jpeg
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lmaooooo
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

Lmaooooo

You didn't laugh stop it b

Lmao nah I used to work at GNC so this got me rollin
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Not Happy about Disney buying Fox , its bad for film and TV creativity in my opinion.

and we're not happy you keep unsticking the Wentworth thread, but i guess we all cant get what we want in life now can we
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    I'm guessing that IF Marvel wants to incorporate The X-Men and Fantastic 4 into The MCU, we won't know about it officially until comic con next year. Perfect place and the rightful place that should be announced.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm guessing that IF Marvel wants to incorporate The X-Men and Fantastic 4 into The MCU, we won't know about it officially until comic con next year. Perfect place and the rightful place that should be announced.

Probably. Sounds like they have the end of this phase all planned out and set in stone.

They said that after Infinity War, the next phases wont have a Thanos like villain build up. Everything will still be connected of course, but they just wont be building up to a big event movie like infinity war.

I wonder if those plans will change though now that they have Doctor Doom and Galactus. Hopefully they use Doom similar to how they use Loki. Start him out small, but then show him progress with his powers like in the comics how he learns to use magic and all that crazy ? they got him to do.

I wouldnt be mad if they spent 5 years building up Galactus like they did Thanos though. I wonder how they would even show a fight like that on film since hes such a giant.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »

Probably. Sounds like they have the end of this phase all planned out and set in stone.

They said that after Infinity War, the next phases wont have a Thanos like villain build up. Everything will still be connected of course, but they just wont be building up to a big event movie like infinity war.

I wonder if those plans will change though now that they have Doctor Doom and Galactus. Hopefully they use Doom similar to how they use Loki. Start him out small, but then show him progress with his powers like in the comics how he learns to use magic and all that crazy ? they got him to do.

I wouldnt be mad if they spent 5 years building up Galactus like they did Thanos though. I wonder how they would even show a fight like that on film since hes such a giant.

It would be interesting to see how Marvel does Galactus and Dr. Doom. The actor who played Doom in F4 was dope, it was just a ? story. If done right, Doom could be goat in the mcu
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is everyone talking like the deal is done already?

Link?
  • Broddie
    Options
    Why is everyone talking like the deal is done already?

Link?

It's not. Anything can happen but it's expected to be closed by the end of the year. Comcast (who owns Universal & NBC) is really trying to go as hard as Disney in those bids.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
  • soul rattler
    Options
    I would've liked to get used to regular Jean Grey before they give us her evil Phoenix version.

Hopefully they make it make sense, but Fox hasn't been too good at this.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    I would've liked to get used to regular Jean Grey before they give us her evil Phoenix version.

Hopefully they make it make sense, but Fox hasn't been too good at this.

I am very skeptical after the screwed up xmen apocalypse
  • soul rattler
    Options
    I don't think Apocolypse was as bad as people say it is.

I'm gonna rent it tonight and watch it again. In many ways, it reminds me of Justice League.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options
    Lilandra looks wack and how did Mystique get lighter?
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disney ceo bob iger expected to stay past 2019 if Fox deal happens as soon as next week

Bob Iger (R), CEO of Walt Disney Co. and Rupert Murdoch, Chairman and CEO of News Corp. Disney and 21st Century Fox closing in on $60 billion deal: Sources
    7:03 PM ET Tue, 5 Dec 2017 | 03:08
    Disney and Twenty-First Century Fox are closing in on a deal, and it could come as soon as next week, according to sources familiar with the matter.
    CNBC has been reporting that Disney has held talks with the Rupert Murdoch-controlled media company to acquire its studio and television production assets, leaving Fox with its news and sports assets. Fox is also talking with CNBC parent company Comcast, but the talks with Disney have progressed more significantly.
    The deal contemplates the sale of Fox's Nat Geo, Star, regional sports networks, movie studios and stakes in Sky and Hulu, among other properties. What would remain at Fox includes its news and business news divisions, broadcast network and Fox sports.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Lilandra looks wack and how did Mystique get lighter?

Mutant bleaching cream

Still ?
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    ? mystique is in this one. Unless she is apart of the mutant brother good and not an xman I don't want to see this.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wonder whos funeral they're attending.