The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it was a wack stoppage

AJ needs to holla at Klitschko and Lennox so he can establish a more consistent and powerful jab..
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    illedout wrote: »
    Link PLEASE

@infamous114

Why are you @'in me?

my bad I thought that was you who usually bless the board with links..

That’s playmaker

@playmaker88

That's the ? I'm bout to take some money from.

Got that Madden too. Where you at?!?!?!
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ref stopped it too early 1 punch landed ckean he avoided the rest. joshua got tired again this fight. they made sure his ko streak continued. uk refs are notorious for ? stoppages for home fighters
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ethos wrote: »
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    Link PLEASE

@infamous114

Why are you @'in me?

my bad I thought that was you who usually bless the board with links..

That’s playmaker

@playmaker88

That's the ? I'm bout to take some money from.

Got that Madden too. Where you at?!?!?!

@ethos
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/wba-prez-hopes-eliminate-multiple-title-problem-by-mid-2019--121938
    WBA Prez Hopes To Eliminate Multiple Title Problem By Mid-2019
    By Miguel Rivera

The president of the World Boxing Association, Gilberto Mendoza Jr., acknowledged that it has not been easy to reduce the number of multiple world titles in his sanctioning body.

In several divisions, there is a WBA "regular" champion or the secondary champion, and then there is the WBA "super" champion, who is regarded by most as the true champion - but that's the case in every division.

For example, at cruiserweight, Yunier Dorticos is the WBA "regular" champion and Denis Lebedev is the "super" champion - but many view Dorticos as the true champion, because Lebedev was defeated by Murat Gassiev in a fight where Lebedev refused to stake his WBA title and only offered up the IBF belt, which Gassiev was the mandatory for.

While initially the idea of two champions in each weight class brought the WBA double the sanctioning fees, Mendoza realized that it did more harm than good - because the "regular" champion was usually not respect as a beltholder and the idea created widespread confusion over the recognizable WBA champion.

While some divisions have been straitened out, there are still issues like at middleweight with Gennady Golovkin and Ryota Murata (super and regular champs) and featherweight with Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares (super and regular champs).

Even at heavyweight, there will be a fight for the vacant "regular" title between Fres Oquendo and Alexander Ustinov, while mega-star Anthony Joshua is the "super" champion.

Mendoza hopes to eliminate the problem by 2019.

"I am focused on only having a single champion [in each weight class]. There are members of the past directory that say there are weight categories that deserve a regular champion where there is a super champion, but I am very fussy about that subject," said Mendoza to ESPN Deportes.

"I do not want to move away from the plan (reduction of titles). My intention is to sort out all of the weight categories although there are already many with only one champion. It's going to cost me a little more time. Hopefully by the 2019 convention we have everything straightened out. I hope we get it done by the middle of 2019."

"It is not easy, the main enemy is the commercial side of boxing that affects sports decisions a lot, when a fighter does not sell and one side does not want to give him the opportunity."

1ey1u9ge4cyw.gif
  • stringer bell
    edited October 2017
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/ufc-white-firm-we-start-doing-stuff-boxing-2018--121967
    UFC's White is Firm: We May Start Doing Stuff in Boxing in 2018

For the second time in the last few weeks, UFC President Dana White has made it clear that his company will explore the idea of promoting and staging boxing events in 2018.

Back in August, White was a big part of the promotion for the cross-sport boxing match between comebacking Floyd Mayweather Jr. and the UFC's biggest superstar, Conor McGregor.

“Obviously, we’re taking a look at it and I’m interested,” White told Mike Swick on his podcast this past week. “I’m not saying I’m going to come in and start running boxing but I’m interested in dipping my toe in the water and maybe signing a few fighters and seeing what we can do. I’m interested in doing some stuff in boxing next year.”

White did make it clear that there be no more cross-sports events between boxing and MMA - at least not done by him.

“I don’t want any more of that bullsh*t,” White said. “If you’re going to box, box, if you’re going to do MMA, do MMA.”

Not everyone is thrilled about White's idea of entering the world of boxing.

In a recent interview, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum flipped his lid and went after White - stating that the UFC was no longer a rising entity, and feels White is looking for a new angle to make his company some money.

“My thoughts are that UFC is desperate,” Arum told Michael Woods of NY Fights. "Their numbers are way off, they have no marquee star. Look at their PPV numbers. They barely break 100,000 homes on their shows. They’re having trouble getting renewal on their contract with FOX. They have to do something. One of things they may try and fall back on and try and acquire a boxing presence. About a year ago, I was approached by someone repping UFC, they wanted to buy Top Rank.”

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/ufc-white-firm-we-start-doing-stuff-boxing-2018--121967
    UFC's White is Firm: We May Start Doing Stuff in Boxing in 2018

For the second time in the last few weeks, UFC President Dana White has made it clear that his company will explore the idea of promoting and staging boxing events in 2018.

Back in August, White was a big part of the promotion for the cross-sport boxing match between comebacking Floyd Mayweather Jr. and the UFC's biggest superstar, Conor McGregor.

“Obviously, we’re taking a look at it and I’m interested,” White told Mike Swick on his podcast this past week. “I’m not saying I’m going to come in and start running boxing but I’m interested in dipping my toe in the water and maybe signing a few fighters and seeing what we can do. I’m interested in doing some stuff in boxing next year.”

White did make it clear that there be no more cross-sports events between boxing and MMA - at least not done by him.

“I don’t want any more of that bullsh*t,” White said. “If you’re going to box, box, if you’re going to do MMA, do MMA.”

Not everyone is thrilled about White's idea of entering the world of boxing.

In a recent interview, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum flipped his lid and went after White - stating that the UFC was no longer a rising entity, and feels White is looking for a new angle to make his company some money.

“My thoughts are that UFC is desperate,” Arum told Michael Woods of NY Fights. "Their numbers are way off, they have no marquee star. Look at their PPV numbers. They barely break 100,000 homes on their shows. They’re having trouble getting renewal on their contract with FOX. They have to do something. One of things they may try and fall back on and try and acquire a boxing presence. About a year ago, I was approached by someone repping UFC, they wanted to buy Top Rank.”

Post this in the UFC threas so those ? that say "boxing is dead" can lose their minds
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fury-warns-joshua-wilder-im-coming-back-destroy-you--121986
    Tyson Fury Warns Joshua, Wilder: I'm Coming Back To Destroy You!

A number of personal issues have kept Fury on the sidelines since November 2015, when he defeated Wladimir Klitschko for the WBA, IBF, IBO and WBO heavyweight titles, and he remains without a boxing licence.

In his absence fellow Briton Joshua has emerged as the dominant force in boxing's blue riband division, capturing the WBA and IBF crowns and stopping all 20 of his professional opponents.

A bout between the unbeaten pair continues to gather momentum and Fury believes Joshua is a comparable figure to Foreman, a much-feared fighter who had 37 knockout wins in 40 fights prior to facing Ali in Zaire in October 1974.

Fury takes inspiration from Ali, who was stripped of the heavyweight title and was exiled from boxing for three years after refusing to be drafted in the US Army for the Vietnam War before returning to defeat Foreman in one of boxing's biggest upset wins.

Fury posted an image of the two all-time great combatants on Instagram, along with the caption: "This is what's to come!

"The old champ coming back to fight a man who everyone thinks will KO me, same as Ali vs Foreman the stylish Ali vs the mummy Forman! We all know what happens in this fight!

"I know you all got me whooped, but I will not lay down or be afraid of some muscles & I have the mentality of a winner a man who has never lost a fight."

Fury also contacted US President Donald Trump on Twitter to ask him to join his ringwalk.

Fury said: "Donald Trump, who do you think wins the fury vs AJ fight? You can walk me out if you want, be a part of the biggest fight ever."

Fury, who is still waiting for a final ruling from UK Anti-Doping on a suspended drugs ban after the hearing was adjourned in July, also laid down the gauntlet to WBC champion Deontay Wilder.

He added: "A true champion coming back to claim his thrown. This is my era they are from my time, I must destroy them.

AJ & Wilder I'm coming back for you pair my mission is seek & destroy the only thing on my mind is destruction who ever gets in my way will be dealt with accordingly.

"There's only one winner & that's the fans! Let's make the heavyweights great again, fight the best in the division."
  • stringer bell
    Options

Fury is going to have to hit the gym ASAP.. If he thinks going beat Wilder & AJ.. Because he looks like he’s suffering from stage 3 Larry Holmes’ disease...
  • aneed123
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fury-warns-joshua-wilder-im-coming-back-destroy-you--121986
    Tyson Fury Warns Joshua, Wilder: I'm Coming Back To Destroy You!

A number of personal issues have kept Fury on the sidelines since November 2015, when he defeated Wladimir Klitschko for the WBA, IBF, IBO and WBO heavyweight titles, and he remains without a boxing licence.

In his absence fellow Briton Joshua has emerged as the dominant force in boxing's blue riband division, capturing the WBA and IBF crowns and stopping all 20 of his professional opponents.

A bout between the unbeaten pair continues to gather momentum and Fury believes Joshua is a comparable figure to Foreman, a much-feared fighter who had 37 knockout wins in 40 fights prior to facing Ali in Zaire in October 1974.

Fury takes inspiration from Ali, who was stripped of the heavyweight title and was exiled from boxing for three years after refusing to be drafted in the US Army for the Vietnam War before returning to defeat Foreman in one of boxing's biggest upset wins.

Fury posted an image of the two all-time great combatants on Instagram, along with the caption: "This is what's to come!

"The old champ coming back to fight a man who everyone thinks will KO me, same as Ali vs Foreman the stylish Ali vs the mummy Forman! We all know what happens in this fight!

"I know you all got me whooped, but I will not lay down or be afraid of some muscles & I have the mentality of a winner a man who has never lost a fight."

Fury also contacted US President Donald Trump on Twitter to ask him to join his ringwalk.

Fury said: "Donald Trump, who do you think wins the fury vs AJ fight? You can walk me out if you want, be a part of the biggest fight ever."

Fury, who is still waiting for a final ruling from UK Anti-Doping on a suspended drugs ban after the hearing was adjourned in July, also laid down the gauntlet to WBC champion Deontay Wilder.

He added: "A true champion coming back to claim his thrown. This is my era they are from my time, I must destroy them.

AJ & Wilder I'm coming back for you pair my mission is seek & destroy the only thing on my mind is destruction who ever gets in my way will be dealt with accordingly.

"There's only one winner & that's the fans! Let's make the heavyweights great again, fight the best in the division."

make that fight now
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boxingnews24.com/2017/11/canelo-golovkin-negotiations/

De La Hoya hoe ass is waiting unti after these 3 fights:

David Lemieux vs. Billy Joe Saunders on December 16
    Miguel Cotto vs. Sadam Ali on December 2
    Danny Jacobs vs. Luis Arias on November 11

before he makes the determination to decide whether Canelo faces one of the winners of those 3 fights or if he fights Golovkin in a rematch.

They don't want no more parts of GGG haha
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It aint gonna be Jacobs.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/dana-white-erupts-f-bob-arum-biggest-piece-sht-sports--121994
    Dana White Erupts: F*** Bob Arum, Biggest Piece of Sh*t in Sports!

Move over Eddie Hearn, because another promoter is getting ready to invade the boxing scene - and that promoter is the UFC, which holds a near monopoly when it comes to Mixed Martial Arts.

In several recent interviews, UFC President Dana White explained that his company will explore the idea of promoting and staging boxing events in 2018.

According to White, boxers will be better suited to fight under the UFC as opposed to large boxing promoters like Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions.

He believes that a lot of boxers will head to the UFC once they see how things are handled by his company.

White explained the numerous perks that are in store for boxers who go across the street to fight for the UFC.

“I just know how good we are at what we do, and I know we’re better than pretty much everybody else out there,” White said to Jim Rome's Podcast. “I think that the guys who are involved in boxing, the fighters, would enjoy being under this umbrella and fighting for us, and yeah, I do think would could do it better than everybody else does. So what the hell, why not give it a shot?”

“We’re the best. We’re the best at what we do. We think about the future. If you look at this facility that we’re in now (the UFC Performance Institute), a state-of-the-art facility with every piece of equipment you can think about as far as recovery, getting stronger. We have a restaurant here that they eat at everyday for free, costs nothing for the fighters to come here and do all this stuff. Plus, we have a physical therapy center where all the fighters can come in and get physical therapy for free.

“On top of, I think we do our events better than they do, our production is better than the production that’s out there. I think everything in this business that you could possibly do, we do better, and we have health insurance for our fighters.”

In a recent interview, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum took full aim at White's idea of entering the sport of boxing.

And of course, White fired back when advised of the statements.

“F*** him. F*** that guy,” White said. “This is the same guy who said the same sh*t 15 years ago about me and the Fertittas. He said, ‘They’re losing oodles and oodles of money.’ I don’t even know what the f*** ‘oodles and oodles’ means, but we’re losing oodles and oodles of money and this business was a joke, it was going to go under, nobody will ever be into a sport like this. And here we are today. I mean, this guy is such a ? . Literally the biggest piece of sh*t in all of sports, Bob Arum, ladies and gentlemen.”
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-golden-boy-meet-discuss-linares-fight-deal--122000
    Mikey Garcia, Golden Boy To Meet - Discuss Linares Fight Deal
    By Miguel Rivera

We could be getting one step close to a unification showdown in the lightweight division.

Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez and lightweight world champion Mikey Garcia will meet in person on Wednesday in an effort to make a unification fight between Garcia and Jorge Linares early next year.

"I want to make the fight, it's a fight that Linares wants and it's a fight Mikey would like too, so let's talk about that, we're ready to do it, it's a great fight and one that I think many fans would like see," said Gomez to ESPN Deportes.

Gomez and Garcia, who is without promoter, were previously involved in negotiations when Garcia called out Miguel Cotto, the junior middleweight world champion promoted by Golden Boy and who was looking for an opponent for December 2.

Garcia said he was willing to put on weight for the fight, but even though Golden Boy made a serious offer, Garcia eventually backed down because he did not want to sign a multiple fight deal with Golden Boy to get Cotto. That deal would also have included a fight with Linares, who is promoted by Golden Boy.

Cotto ended up signing to defend his title against Saddam Ali and Garcia was left without a date to fight for the rest of the year, having won a world title in his third division, when he knocked out Dejan Zlaticanin for the lightweight title in January, followed by a unanimous decision victory against Adrien Broner at junior welterweight in July.

Linares (43-3, 27 KO's), 32, who also won world titles in three divisions, retained his 135-pound split decision against British mandatory challenger Luke Campbell on September 23, and said after the fight that he also wanted a unificationt.

Gómez directed a recent social media message to García (37-0, 30 KOs), to show that the company has changed its mind. Gomez said that Golden Boy would no longer require Garcia to sign with his company to fight with one of their top boxers, even though he would like to promote Garcia, one of the best fighters in the world.

"Mikey Garcia, if you're serious about wanting to fight Jorge Linares, call me, without options, without extra fights, in short, without excuses," Gomez wrote.

http://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-golden-boy-meet-talks-go-well-linares-fight--122019
    Mikey Garcia, Golden Boy Meet - Talks Go Well For Linares Fight
    By Steve Kim

Golden Boy President Eric Gomez has confirmed to BoxingScene.com that he had a meeting on Wednesday morning at their offices in Los Angeles with WBC lightweight titlist Mikey Garcia, (37-0, 30 KOs) where the subject matter was a possible unification bout with WBA belt-holder Jorge Linares.

"It went very good, Mikey says he wants the fight, Linares says he wants the fight. So that's the fight Oscar [De La Hoya] wants me to make it. So we're going to do our best," said Gomez on Wedneday afternoon at the Palm Restaurant, where he was at the official press conference for the December 9th card at the Mandalay Bay that will feature Orlando Salido-Mikey Roman that will be broadcast on HBO.

And Gomez makes it clear that these talks will include no options or an insistence on a multi-fight deal with Garcia, who in the recent past had met with Golden Boy about other fights but resisted signing on with them preferring to keep his promotional independence.

"Obviously with Golden Boy we keep saying it - we want to make the best fights possible," explained Gomez. "We want to try to make these fights that the fans want to see. We can't always do it but if the majority of the time we can accomplish that - everybody wins."

One hurdle that needs to be cleared is that Golden Boy is affiliated with HBO, while Garcia (who is aligned with adviser Al Haymon) is situated with rival Showtime.

To which Gomez stated - "We talked about that and we have different scenarios that can play out. Obviously, we work with HBO and they're our partner but obviously, whatever it takes to make the fight, that's what we want to do."

As for when this showdown could possibly take place - "First quarter of next year, we can do it as soon as January, maybe February, maybe March. But first quarter," said Gomez.
  • aneed123
    Options
    porter called danny garcia full of ? lol
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/jeff-horn-vs-gary-corcoran-secured-by-espn-december-13--122043
    Jeff Horn vs. Gary Corcoran Secured By ESPN, December 13

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA -- Boxing's Cinderella Man and Brisbane, Australia’s favorite son, Jeff “The Hornet” Horn, returns to the ring in the first defense of the world title he won off the legendary Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao. Horn (17-0-1, 11 KOs) will be risking his newly-minted World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown against Top-10 contender Gary “Hellraiser” Corcoran (17-1, 7 KOs), of London.

It will be the Brit's first fight outside the United Kingdom. The Horn vs. Corcoran world welterweight championship fight will take place on Wednesday, December 13 at the Brisbane Convention Centre and will be televised live and exclusively at 6:30 a.m. EST on ESPN and ESPN Deportes .

“Jeff Horn not only produced the upset of the year in boxing, he also authored the story of the year, defeating Manny Pacquiao, under enormous pressure, in front of a record hometown crowd of over 51,000 fans,” said Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who witnessed the fight from a ringside seat. “Jeff wasn't just poised, he was prepared and powerful. Now Jeff faces his first test as world champion, against Corcoran, and it should be a helluva battle considering both men love to fight coming forward.”

“With Horn vs. Corcoran, ESPN is thrilled to add another marquee Top Rank on ESPN match right after the historic Lomachenko vs. Rigondeaux bout on December 9th,” said ESPN’s executive vice president of programming and scheduling Burke Magnus. “Horn is a rising superstar in the world of boxing, and with the seminal ratings success of the Horn-Pacquiao fight coupled with his performance in the ring that day, he has a large and growing fan base.”

Horn, a former high school physical education teacher and 2012 Olympian, captured the world's imagination when he upset the heavily favored Pacquiao, boxing's only eight-division world champion, winning a gritty unanimous decision in front of over 51,000 fans at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on July 1. Horn, a 12-to-1 underdog, didn't let the moment or Pacquiao intimidate him. He pressured the defending champion and backed him up throughout the 12 grueling and exciting rounds. In addition to becoming a world champion Horn also became the toast of two continents.

ESPN’s live telecast of the July 1 Pacquiao vs. Horn world championship event (10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET) averaged a 1.6 household rating and 2,812,000 viewers, making it the highest-rated and most-watched boxing telecast on cable TV since 2006 and ESPN’s highest-rated boxing telecast since 1995. “The Battle of Brisbane” was also the highest-rated boxing telecast on ESPN’s networks since 1995.

The WBO World Welterweight Championship main event between Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38 KOs) and Horn (midnight to 1 a.m. ET) peaked during the final half hour of their fight with 4.4 million viewers across both networks.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.boxingscene.com/luis-ortiz-suspended-one-year-by-wba-failed-test--122055
    Luis Ortiz Suspended For One Year By WBA For Failed Test
    By Miguel Rivera

A few weeks ago, BoxingScene.com reported that heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz was removed from his mandatory position under the World Boxing Association, thus losing his rights as the mandatory challenger to current champion Anthony Joshua - and the boxer was handed a temporary suspension.

The sanctioning body has now made it official, as the World Boxing Association's World Championships Committee announced that Ortiz was handed a one-year suspension, and immediate removal from the rankings, due to his failed drug test where he came up positive for chlorothiazide and hydrochlorothiazide.

At the end of the ongoing WBA convention, sanctioning body Gilberto Mendoza said Ortiz's case should help boxing in terms of anti-doping and be taken as an exemplary case so that boxers should be more careful with what they ingest.

In the WBA's resolution, it was indicated that Ortiz's suspension will last until September 22, 2018. Ortiz will also need to stay involved in the WBA's testing program, which is regulated by VADA.

"The status and recognition of Ortiz as the mandatory challenger has been revoked, Ortiz was removed from the WBA rankings and suspended to participate in any fight for a WBA title for one year," reads the letter delivered to the Cuban puncher.

"In order for the suspension to be removed, Ortiz must continue to participate in the VADA Clean Boxing Program at his own expense, and not test positive for any prohibited substance or reject a randomized test, in addition to a medical evaluation to determine if he is fit to fight. "

Ortiz also failed to properly submit a request to have his B-sample examined.

"He has the chance to appeal but the issue of drugs and clean sports is very important and things can not be like that, you are positive or negative and accept it," Mendoza told ESPN Deportes.

"He did not make a proper request for the B-sample to get tested, he did it verbally and it's not the right thing, he had to do it in writing or by his lawyer, we gave him time to do it before the WBA made their decision and he did not do it."

The failed drug test was in connection to this Saturday's return of WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Wilder was originally scheduled face Ortiz, but the Cuban fighter was pulled from the bout after failing a pre-fight drug test. He was eventually replaced by Bermance Stiverne.

Because the WBC's testing program is also regulated by VADA - the WBA recognized the failed result and began their own investigation.

Ortiz and his team have long claimed that the substances in question are related to the boxer's prescribed medication for high blood pressure. But the big issue at hand, is Ortiz and his team members never advised VADA that he was taking that medication when he entered the testing protocol.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boxing on ESPN 2 !!
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good stoppage imo. Garica was gone murder that ?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef4T0xo8Jqs
    Deontay Wilder Responds to Stiverne Saying He "Doesn't Care If Deontay Dies In The Ring" + Calls out Anthony Joshua! - TI50
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not watching none of those vids but props for posting them