Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    ? went from being the family friendly pizza of the NFL, to the pizza of neo nazis in less than a week. I bet he wake up hoping it's a dream. On the next episode of when keeping it real goes wrong.

Remind me of what Martin told that bad guy at the end of Bad Boy 1. "I bet when you woke up this morning that you wouldn't thought that you'll end up with a bullet in yo ass".
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I’m hearing Texans cutting McGloin and singing QB Josh Johnson
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    I hearing Texans cutting McGloin and singing QB Josh Johnson

sfwoss2e7ye1.gif
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt Colin would want to play for the Texans anyway with that ? the owner just pulled
  • dnyce215
    Options
    “Colin Kaepernick is a good football player, hasn’t played in a while. These things are going to continue to be discussed.”

Josh Johnson last played since 2012 and his only play resulted in a sack. This is looking bad for the Texans right now.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21330563/nfl-invited-colin-kaepernick-meet-one-one-roger-goodell-league-spokesman-says
    Kap's rep: Goodell meeting nixed over mediator

The NFL has invited Colin Kaepernick to attend a one-on-one meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell, a league spokesman told ESPN's Jim Trotter, but the two sides have offered conflicting comments on whether the free-agent quarterback has responded to the invitation.

Kaepernick attorney Mark Geragos told ABC News they "responded immediately that Colin would be happy to attend" but that the meeting fell through when the league rejected a request for a mediator to be present.

Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, texted Kaepernick on Oct. 31 to update him on the ongoing talks about social issues between players and owners, league spokesman Joe Lockhart told Trotter on Tuesday.

At the end of the text message, Vincent extended the invitation for Kaepernick to meet with Goodell, according to Lockhart, who said the league has not heard back from the former San Francisco 49ers star.

Geragos disputed the notion that Kaepernick did not respond.

"We responded immediately that Colin would be happy to attend," Geragos said in a statement provided to ABC News. "Because of the grievance we asked that a mediator be present. A mediator also would ensure that the discussions were productive and confidential and not used as a PR stunt or prop by the league. Colin's proposal was rejected."

Lockhart fired back after that claim, telling Trotter: "Mr. Geragos' statement alone violates the collective bargaining agreement, breaking the confidentiality of the grievance process. So he can save his lecture on PR stunts. The invitation remains open."

The league spokesman previously told Yahoo! Sports that Vincent had reached out to Kaepernick directly.

"This isn't about his lawyer. This isn't about a mediator. The question of, 'Has [Colin] been invited in?' the answer is yes," Lockhart told Yahoo! "This isn't part of any grievance process. This is part of the overall discussion we've been having on some of these social issues."

Lockhart said earlier Tuesday during a conference call that the NFL would welcome Kaepernick's participation in its larger meetings involving league executives, players and owners.

A league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter last week that Goodell, Vincent and NFL senior vice president of player engagement Arthur McAfee will be deposed and asked to turn over all cellphone records and emails in relation to Kaepernick's collusion case against the NFL.

Kaepernick's attorney said in October that the free-agent quarterback had filed a grievance under the CBA, alleging collusion against signing him to an NFL contract.

The filing, which demands an arbitration hearing, says the NFL and its owners "have colluded to deprive Mr. Kaepernick of employment rights in retaliation for Mr. Kaepernick's leadership and advocacy for equality and social justice and his bringing awareness to peculiar institutions still undermining racial equality in the United States."

After filing the grievance, Kaepernick tweeted that he did so "only after pursuing every possible avenue with all NFL teams and their executives.''

Kaepernick drew national attention last season when he knelt during the national anthem before games to protest social injustice. His kneeling led to a movement that has spread throughout the league while being vilified by others, including President Donald Trump.

Kaepernick has not been with an NFL team since severing his contract with the 49ers in March. Sources told ESPN at the time that Kaepernick would stand during the anthem in 2017.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and one of the N.F.L.’s most powerful figures, has escalated his feud with Commissioner Roger Goodell, threatening to sue the league and some fellow team owners over negotiations to extend Goodell’s contract, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation.

Jones told the six owners on the league’s compensation committee last week that he had hired David Boies, the high-profile lawyer under fire in the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment case, according to the people, who declined to be speak publicly about internal league matters.

The dispute between Jones and Goodell stems from Jones’s anger over the commissioner’s suspending of Ezekiel Elliott, the Cowboys’ star running back, who was accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend. Goodell gave Elliott a six-game suspension, though no charges were filed in the case.

The suspension, announced in August, has since undergone a dizzying array of rulings and court appeals that has, for now, kept Elliott on the field. Jones has called the suspension an “overcorrection,” a jibe at Goodell, who has been criticized in recent years for his handling of player discipline.

The intraleague battle is unusual for a organization that prides itself on order and unanimity but is in the middle of one of its most tumultuous seasons over issues like players kneeling during the national anthem to protest social injustice, a wave of injuries to star players, and a television ratings slide that has fed debate over whether the game is declining.

Jones said in a conference call last Thursday with the six owners — those of the Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans — that legal papers were drawn up and would be served this Friday if the committee did not scrap its plans to extend Goodell’s contract.

As of Wednesday, the owners have not been sued.

Through a team spokesman, Jones declined to comment. An N.F.L. spokesman did not have an immediate response, and a spokesman for Boies’s law firm did not immediately return calls either.

Jones has been a nonvoting member of a committee of owners that is considering Goodell’s contract, which expires at the end of the 2018 season. Jones has fought to have a say.

After Jones spoke to the committee by conference call last week, the six owners revoked Jones’s status as an ad hoc member of the compensation committee, which decides on compensation packages for the top league officials.

Over the next several days, the six owners then spoke to the other 25 owners who are not on the committee to notify them of what Jones had said.

Jones, known for brassy talk and bold moves, may be making his most audacious maneuver yet in taking on fellow owners, with whom he normally holds considerable sway in matters like the relocation of teams and how the league spends its money.

Jones’s threat is reminiscent of steps taken by Raiders owner Al Davis, who successfully sued to the league in the 1980s to win the right to move his team from Oakland to Los Angeles.

But Jones’s case is potentially more volatile because he has threatened to sue not just the league, but individual owners, while also trying to prevent the commissioner from getting a new contract.

Boies is a prominent lawyer who has argued before the Supreme Court and represented corporations and executives in high-profile cases.

He drew widespread criticism this week after The New Yorker reported on the legal work Boies did for Weinstein, the movie mogul facing allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault. The article reported that Boies helped Weinstein’s effort to use private investigators to help block a negative article about him in The New York Times while Boies’s firm was providing outside legal counsel for The Times.

Boies denied there was any conflict of interest with his work for the newspaper. In a statement, he said he believed the investigators had been hired solely to determine the facts related to the accusations against Weinstein, which Boies believed would be to The Times’s benefit.

The Times said it was ending its relationship with his firm.

The Times said it was ending its relationship with his firm.

“We never contemplated that the law firm would contract with an intelligence firm to conduct a secret spying operation aimed at our reporting and our reporters,” The Times said in a statement. “Such an operation is reprehensible.”

Jones has publicly questioned Elliott’s suspension as well as the commissioner’s role in handing down player penalties.

“Zeke is a victim of an overcorrection,” Jones said in a radio interview in October, a day after Elliott lost his bid for a preliminary injunction that would have stayed the six-game ban for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

“Even this judge said it shows that very reasonably people could possibly come down on both sides of this,” Jones added. “Well, under our legal system it has to be stronger than that for someone to have done it. Now, we all know we were not there to see it, but I do have every point of contention on both sides and in our system in this country, Zeke would not have any issue here as to his workplace.

“With the knowledge that I have, the circumstances aren’t treating him fair.”

Jones has also been the most vocal owner to urge players to stand for the national anthem. Jones and other owners are upset that Goodell has not done more to stop players from kneeling or sitting during the anthem. The issue exploded into a national debate when President Trump took aim the owners for not forcing the players to stand.

Basically Jerry Jones is mad at Roger for not going hard enough on the black athletes. Good to see racists out in the open where we can see them.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Sikh Marathon Runners Honor Colin Kaepernick During Race
    Completing the New York City Marathon is an accomplishment in and of itself. But two Sikh runners at this year’s race decided to dedicate this personal milestone to a bigger cause ― raising awareness about the fight for racial justice.

Simran Jeet Singh, a professor of religion at Trinity University, and Jasdeep Singh, a physician from New York City, participated in the race on Sunday wearing t-shirts that paid homage to Colin Kaepernick, the former NFL quarterback whose #TakeAKnee protest movement has sparked conversations about police brutality towards black Americans.

Simran said that he and Jasdeep were captivated by the “clarity and poise” that Kaepernick has brought to the issue, and wanted to honor the movement that the athlete has started.

“I am committed to fighting anti-Black racism because my Sikh faith teaches me to confront any injustice I encounter in this world,” Simran told HuffPost in an email. “It is not an option to ignore the deep oppression that our Black sisters and brothers experience in America, and each of us has a responsibility to help ensure that we realize real equity in this country.”

Sunday’s race was Simran’s sixth marathon, and his fifth time running the New York City marathon. In the past, Simran said that he often received racist comments while running the race. Last year, he heard people calling him a “? Muslim” or “that guy from ISIS” during the race. He said the 2017 race was the first time he’s run the New York City Marathon without receiving a single racist comment.

Although Sikhs have been part of American society since the late 1800s, they have long been the targets of xenophobia and racism. Many Americans are unfamiliar with the religion, or mistakenly identify Sikhs as Muslims. Since the September 11 attacks, Sikh Americans have been the targets of racial profiling, bullying, and hate crimes.

Simran said that he and Jasdeep, who ran his first marathon this year, often found themselves discussing social and political issues while training for the race.

“We talked about how maintaining our Sikh identities in the world’s biggest race was a political statement in and of itself ― but we also talked about how we wanted to do something more explicit and more timely.”

Kaepernick’s protest movement began in 2016 as a way to highlight police killings of unarmed black Americans. Despite pushback from some owners of NFL teams, a number of athletes have followed in Kaepernick’s footsteps this year by kneeling while the U.S. national anthem is being sung before football games.

The movement has also found supporters outside the world of professional football ― from a congresswoman on the House floor to the cast of Broadway’s “Miss Saigon.”

Simran said that he believes speaking out for black lives is simply the right thing to do. But beyond that, he said that there is also strategic value in forming alliances between black Americans and South Asian communities.

This alliance is something the scholar said he hopes to see more of in the future.

“Anti-Black racism is ... a worldview fueled by white supremacy that was exported through European colonialism,” he said. “Anti-Black racism permeates South Asian culture as much as any other, and this pernicious bias keeps us from identifying and standing with our Black sisters and brothers to the extent that we really should. It’s a problem South Asians don’t discuss openly or often enough, and it’s a problem we need to address with real urgency.”

Because of the history of bigotry that South Asians and Sikhs have faced in the country, Simran said that it is important to work together towards equality.

“The first anti-Sikh race riots took place in Bellingham, Washington in 1907, and South Asians and Sikhs have been dealing with bigotry ever since,” he said. “I believe it’s critically important that we address hate at its core, and we can’t do that until we recognize that the plight of racism is a shared plight and that we’re all in this together. ”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sikh-marathon-runners-dedicate-race-to-colin-kaepernick_us_5a00dacde4b0368a4e867f73?section=us_black-voices

Sikh people got almost as much reason to be mad about racism as black people. Racist CaCs stay attacking Sikhs cause they think everyone with tan skin is a Muslim terrorist.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://savannahnow.com/news/sports/2017-11-08/espn-s-sage-steele-talks-nfl-protests-importance-veterans-day-prior-parris
    ESPN’s Sage Steele talks NFL protests, importance of Veterans Day prior to Parris Island special

The military and sports have always shared a strong kinship, but those lines have blurred this football season in a way many haven’t seen before.

For “SportsCenter” anchor Sage Steele, whose father was the first African-American to play varsity football at West Point, there is no blur at all.

A lifelong dedication to the men and women in uniform is what makes heading to Parris Island on Friday to co-host a SportsCenter special for Veterans Day from the base so special to Steele, who will be joined by anchors Jay Harris and Randy Scott, who also come from military families.

“Reveille, retreat…when you hear any of those things, you could be driving in your car … if you heard that at any point in the day, you stop your car and you stand at attention,” Steele said. “You put your hand over your heart. It’s that simple.”

The clash between the perceived principles of patriotism and the duty of NFL players as Americans has been at the forefront of the sport since former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first took a knee during the national anthem to protest police brutality.

Steele said she respects the players’ right to protest, but she feels it could be done in a better manner.

“I have that right to disagree, number one, and number two, I want to show what I think is the appropriate way for me and for my children (to respect the anthem),” she added. “I think for a lot of us, we are protective in many ways of those who came before us and exactly what they sacrificed. So we have a lot of work to do in this country and it doesn’t matter what political affiliation you are.”
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/roger-goodell-nfl-fans-don-games-protested-article-1.3619632
    Roger Goodell: NFL fans don’t come to games ‘to be protested to’

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is apparently done dancing around the issue.

Despite taking a diplomatic tone in recent weeks in discussing NFL anthem protests, on Wednesday he again said he prefers players to stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" but also believes football fans don't want to be preached to about social issues.

"People come to our stadiums to be entertained and have fun, not to be protested to," Goodell said at Bloomberg's The Year Ahead Summit, via SB Nation.

To date, Goodell has toed the line and the NFL has not made standing for the national anthem a rule. On the other hand, the NBA mandates all players stand for the anthem. While Goodell has been fairly neutral on policing the issue, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has said any players on his team who don't stand will be benched.
    49ers owner Jed York has publicly supported the protests.

"I think that's one of the things I think when we have a platform the way we do people seek to find that division and I think that's something we try to resist," Goodell said. "And in this case I've been very clear about this — the anthem, the respect for our flag is very important. So I want to see our players stand."

The NFL has become a political football in the last two months since President Trump took aim at players who protest the anthem before games. Colin Kaepernick, who is out of football and suing the league for collusion, started the anthem protests last year as a demonstration against racial injustice and police brutality.

Some believe declining NFL ratings, down 19 percent from two seasons ago, are the product of the highly polarizing political debate that's taken over football. Goodell, whose league endlessly markets with the armed forces and gleefully funds stadiums with public money, reiterated his ironic belief that politics have no place in football.

"I think you're getting into something, getting into politics is not something we do," Goodell said. "Values aren't necessarily about politics. Values are the way you do things and I think we want to make sure we do things at the highest standards. And I think people expect us to."
  • dnyce215
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Next to Bala was a gray-haired man who told me he voted for Trump and was happy so far because “he’s kept his promises.”

I asked which ones.

“Border security.” But there’s no wall yet. “No fault of his,” the man said.

What else? “Getting rid of Obamacare.” But he hasn’t. “Well, he’s tried to.”

What else? “Defunding Planned Parenthood.” But he didn’t. “Not his fault again,” the man said.

I asked for his name. “Bill K.,” he said. He wouldn’t give me his last name. “I don’t trust you,” he said.

More than anything, what seemed to upset the people I spoke with was the National Football League players who have knelt during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality.

“As far as I’m concerned,” Frear told me, “if I was the boss of these teams, I would tell ’em, ‘You get your ? out there and you play, or you’re not here anymore.’ They’re paying their salaries, for ? ’s sake.”

“Shame on them,” Del Signore said over his alfredo. “These clowns are out there, making millions of dollars a year, and they’re using some stupid excuse that they want equality—so I’ll kneel against the flag and the national anthem?”

“You’re not a fan of equality?” I asked.

“For people who deserve it and earn it,”
    he said. “All my ancestors, Italian, 100 percent Italian, the Irish, Germans, Polish, whatever—they all came over here, settled in places like this, they worked hard and they earned the respect. They earned the success that they got. Some people don’t want to do that. They just want it handed to them.”

“Like NFL players?” I said.

“Well,” Del Signore responded, “I hate to say what the majority of them are …” He stopped himself short of what I thought he was about to say.

Schilling and her husband, however, did not restrain themselves.

“The thing that irritates me to no end is this NFL ? ,” Schilling told me in her living room. “I’m about ready to go over the top with this ? . We do not watch no NFL now.” They’re Dallas Cowboys fans. “We banned ’em. We don’t watch it.”

Schilling looked at her husband, Dave McCabe, who’s 67 and a retired high school basketball coach. She nodded at me. “Tell him,” she said to McCabe, “what you said the NFL is …”

McCabe looked momentarily wary. He laughed a little. “I don’t remember saying that,” he said unconvincingly.

Schilling was having none of it. “You’re the one that told me, liar,” she said.

She looked at me.

The NFL?

“? for life,” Schilling said.

“For life,” McCabe added.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

lol @ these palookaville cacs, i hope they enjoy ? about the NFL for a year while everyone around them overdoses

What makes it worse their son Overdosed on drugs
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Next to Bala was a gray-haired man who told me he voted for Trump and was happy so far because “he’s kept his promises.”

I asked which ones.

What else? “Defunding Planned Parenthood.” But he didn’t. “Not his fault again,” the man said.

I asked for his name. “Bill K.,” he said. He wouldn’t give me his last name. “I don’t trust you,” he said.

More than anything, what seemed to upset the people I spoke with was the National Football League players who have knelt during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality.

“As far as I’m concerned,” Frear told me, “if I was the boss of these teams, I would tell ’em, ‘You get your ? out there and you play, or you’re not here anymore.’ They’re paying their salaries, for ? ’s sake.”

“Shame on them,” Del Signore said over his alfredo. “These clowns are out there, making millions of dollars a year, and they’re using some stupid excuse that they want equality—so I’ll kneel against the flag and the national anthem?”

he said. “All my ancestors, Italian, 100 percent Italian, the Irish, Germans, Polish, whatever—they all came over here, settled in places like this, they worked hard and they earned the respect. They earned the success that they got. Some people don’t want to do that. They just want it handed to them.”

“Well,” Del Signore responded, “I hate to say what the majority of them are …” He stopped himself short of what I thought he was about to say.

“The thing that irritates me to no end is this NFL ? ,” Schilling told me in her living room. “I’m about ready to go over the top with this ? . We do not watch no NFL now.” They’re Dallas Cowboys fans. “We banned ’em. We don’t watch it.”

Schilling looked at her husband, Dave McCabe, who’s 67 and a retired high school basketball coach. She nodded at me. “Tell him,” she said to McCabe, “what you said the NFL is …”

McCabe looked momentarily wary. He laughed a little. “I don’t remember saying that,” he said unconvincingly.

She looked at me.

The NFL?

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

lol @ these palookaville cacs, i hope they enjoy ? about the NFL for a year while everyone around them overdoses

Efil4zaggin
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I asked which ones.

She looked at me.

The NFL?

Lol at them immigrants earning it. I guess 400 years of slavery didn't build up enough credit. And them crackers never had a whole government making laws to ? them over. And y'all wonder why I said ? them kids that got killed in Texas
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That white man didn’t want to repeat what he told his woman in private, but that white lady egged him on. Gotta be careful with them white women smh
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    an no one has a legit reason why.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they rather punish the player than punish those who should really get it
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    That white man didn’t want to repeat what he told his woman in private, but that white lady egged him on. Gotta be careful with them white women smh

She didn't just egg him on. She's the one that came out and said it. White women are the worst.
  • stringer bell
    Options

https://www.mediaite.com/columnists/watch-fox-news-spin-a-pending-jerry-jones-lawsuit-into-story-about-nfl-players-kneeling/
    Fox News Spin a Pending Jerry Jones Lawsuit Into Story About NFL Players Kneeling

Jerry Jones is getting ready for a legal scrap. The Dallas Cowboys owner has hired a lawyer and is reportedly planning on suing the NFL if they renew commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract.

To the uninitiated, it’d be easy to assume that this lawsuit has something to do with all of those pesky football players and their anthem protests. Jones is ? that Goodell hasn’t officially declared war on those disrespectful pigskin pushers and is drawing a line in the sand, heroically protecting innocent Americans, who are being forced to think about the outside world for a few seconds, once a week.

It’d be easy to assume that. It’s also wrong. Jones is livid that Goodell is prepped to suspend Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott for six games, following allegations of domestic abuse.

Did that stop Fox News from somehow twisting the story to fit their larger “culture wars” narrative? Of course it didn’t! Ezekiel Elliot? Who’s that? This lawsuit is all about those kneeling bozos, ? on the national anthem and forcing red-blooded patriots to forgo Papa John’s for the weekend.

Watch the above video, from this morning’s Fox & Friends, and note how sneakily the words are arranged.

“A war may be brewing between NFL owners and commissioner Roger Goodell. The New York Times reporting Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hired a lawyer to stall Goodell’s contract extension and is preparing to sue the league,” said Jillian Mele, pausing for a quick beat.

All good, right? Now watch the lingual jiu jitsu unfurl.

“Jones and a handful of NFL owners are upset at Goodell’s lack of action in stopping anthem protests, which has led to a boycott and low attendance at games.”

See what she did there? That quick pause technically indicated a subject change, but it happened so fast that two totally distinct news items seemed to blur together, triggering a seething mass of angry Americans, slamming their coffee cups in despair. If you look close enough, you can almost see a slight wisp of Mele’s soul escaping her body as she begins that final sentence.

So, yeah, not only did Fox News air that segment, they deemed it fair enough to capture and post to Twitter. Keep pushing out that quality content guys.

8vghp0xec4fi.jpeg