HHDX: Why Haven't Hip Hop Mention Will Smith Aka The Fresh Prince As The GOAT?

Options
13»

Comments

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    IMO Fresh Prince had the GOAT DJ which helped haha... He could rhyme, be funny and tell stories and then he became 'Will Smith' his first two albums were dope, especially BWS, when I was a kid I used to rinse that album...

Cosign about Jazzy Jeff

Actually, their first two albums were legit. Their first album, Rock The House came out at a time where there weren't many rap albums at the time, so by default the college DJs played the hell out of it.

The second album, He's The DJ I'm The Rapper came out in the spring of 88. There was a lot of competition that summer but Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff had their own lane by that point. The were the Parent's Just Don't Understand and Nightmare on My Street, both novelty comedy songs at a time when Public Enemy and Stetsasonic were getting political, NWA and 2 Live Crew were getting censored and catching flack for their lyrics. Rakim, Kane and KRS were raising the bar for lyricism and groups like EPMD, The Jungle Brothers and De La Soul were raising the bar for sampling.

So while all that was going on, Fresh Prince & Jazzy Jeff had their own lane, thats why they worked. They didn't get political and they didn't curse on their records.

Anyway, I'd recommend listening to their first two albums. I'd give the first album 4/5 and the second album 3.5/5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt_xoaSTXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVApcHyWAaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h28LERq5fY

Im a massive fan of them breda, I got their whole catalog haha... Like you basically said they were like a different genre of hip hop, I like listening to all different kinds of hip hop, be it fun, political, conscious, street even ignorant at times, but whatever the case I always hold Jazzy Jeff as the GOAT DJ...

People clown Will at times, but I think he could as Fresh Prince rap with *almost* the best of them, if I remember correctly he used to battle rap coming up around Philly, and when I think of Philly hip hop in the 80s and 90s I think of tough lyrics but also even tougher DJ's...

He may of had help with writing as Will Smith but regardless he also had a butter flow, he also wrote some great stuff as Fresh Prince...
  • water ur seeds
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I still think Nas helped write for Will Smith, I think they were both on Columbia records at the same time, I also think Will had a Nas 'Esco' flow at times and Will actucally said Nas's name 'From civilians, to stars, they wanna know, who we are, it's me, big Will, Nas Escobar...'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Gvst2GKHQ

I real dope MC was on Combat Jack show once (i cant remember who/what episode) maybe Consequence??? And Im sure they said something they were suppose to be helping write for Will and Mos Def, Talib or Black Thought or some other conscious rappers was suppose to be or were helping write with Will when he got there... Or maybe I am remembering completely wrong lol
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still think Nas helped write for Will Smith, I think they were both on Columbia records at the same time, I also think Will had a Nas 'Esco' flow at times and Will actucally said Nas's name 'From civilians, to stars, they wanna know, who we are, it's me, big Will, Nas Escobar...'...

I real dope MC was on Combat Jack show once (i cant remember who/what episode) maybe Consequence??? And Im sure they said something they were suppose to be helping write for Will and Mos Def, Talib or Black Thought or some other conscious rappers was suppose to be or were helping write with Will when he got there... Or maybe I am remembering completely wrong lol

That Big Willie Style album is at 9X Platinum.

I wonder what it would take for this album to sell another million to be diamond status?
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Will's tv/movies >>> his music. Summertime and Parents Just Don't Understand are his musical highlights.
    ? Jiggy With it and Miami.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    And Will's tv/movies >>> his music. Summertime and Parents Just Don't Understand are his musical highlights.

@ the bolded

Are you sure that Parent's Just Don't Understand are his musical highlights?

• nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ the bolded

This is Will Smith we're talking about. That joint isn't even something that I would consider to be dope, but at least it was humorous. I liked that ? better than that commercially corny ass Jiggy and Miami bs.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

@ the bolded

This is Will Smith we're talking about. That joint isn't even something that I would consider to be dope, but at least it was humorous. I liked that ? better than that commercially corny ass Jiggy and Miami bs.

You have no idea what you're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqEpG67pFfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h28LERq5fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt_xoaSTXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH61J5fmk-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EviY3JlAFs
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Beanie Sigel is the best rapper to ever come out of Philly anyway.

? where is the ? Nosign button when you really need it.
    Beans is no slouch but Black Thought >>> Beans..........easy

Nah......You put em both on a track i'm going to bet beans will have the better performance 7 times out of 10. He was just coming into his own as an artist on the B coming, then his ship wrecked. But as a talent, Beans is better than Black Thought.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we actin like broadstreet bully beans ain’t more talented than black thought? ? has the charisma of a Toyota Corolla.

Black thought is way better lyrically than Beans.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we actin like broadstreet bully beans ain’t more talented than black thought? ? has the charisma of a Toyota Corolla.

Black thought is way better lyrically than Beans.

Canibus is better lyrically than beans, that don’t mean he better than beans.

Lots of ? were better lyrically than Big. Big was better than 99% of em.... why? There’s more to it than just the words on the paper fam.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wonder what it would take for this album to sell another million to be diamond status?

A couple of songs featured on a hit movie and or soundtrack would do it...
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_mpxo5uowxM1rwu9euo1_400.gif

Cash Money came through and like this and that was the end of Will.

That Emenim bar didn’t help either
  • water ur seeds
    edited November 2017
    Options

That would be dope, maybe a special re release or push on a streaming website... I think its a perfect album to introduce kids into hip hop, its got wordplay, good song concepts (just like candy), no cuss words, stories, its fun and some conscious material to, like off the top On 'Just the Two of Us':

'Throughout life people will make you mad
    Disrespect you and treat you bad'

'Let ? deal with the things they do
    Cause hate in your heart will consume you too'

'Always tell the truth, say your prayers
    Hold doors, pull out chairs, easy on the swears'
  • water ur seeds
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It might be nostalgia, but I thought getting 'Gettin Jiggy Wit It' and 'Miami' were fun singles, 'Man Ali you told me IM the greatest' haha I would rather they hit the charts then fckn 'mumble rap' rubbish... I like the way throughout his career from the Fresh Prince days to the Will Smith era he has always bigged up his bredren Charlie Mack too (even had a song called 'charlie mack the 1st out the limo') and on 'Miami' he mentioned him again:

'So we sip a little something lay to rest the spill,
    Me an Charlie at the bar runnin up a high bill
    Nothin less than ill, when we dress to ?
    Everytime the ladies pass they be like 'Hi Will'
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He may not be the GOAT but him and Dj Jazzy Jeff Deserve a spot in the Hall Of Fame

You could make a strong argument that Jazzy Jeff is the Greatest DJ Of All Time.

There's an even stronger one to be made for Cash Money.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young Will was dope. Big ? style was too corny though. From an objective standpoint though, I can understand someone making a case for him being a highly ranked rapper.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stop.. Will made some feel good music.. starred in fresh prince he use to to own the summer.. he makes decent movies but no.. he is living the dream but NO
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

All I know is that the Lost & Found album got some joints on it. Sleep if you want to.
  • Ronin705
    Ronin705 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Options
    All of you are acting liking his soundtrack songs weren't dope. I still play M.I.B. for no damn reason at all. "Switch" was my hop off point, but he's undeniably a part of the greater lexicon of hip hop
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Matike85 wrote: »
    gee757 wrote: »
    To the nerds hitting me wit negs just like Drake will can never b a goat cuz he got GHOSTWRITERS!
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    He had ghost writers once he went hollywood.

Did y'all watch the video?... Murs denounce the ghostwriter allegations about Will Smith aka Fresh Prince

So Nas didn't write Miami and Rakim didn't write Summertime?

I thought nas did some writing on "gettin jiggy wit it"
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Matike85 wrote: »
    gee757 wrote: »
    To the nerds hitting me wit negs just like Drake will can never b a goat cuz he got GHOSTWRITERS!
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    He had ghost writers once he went hollywood.

Did y'all watch the video?... Murs denounce the ghostwriter allegations about Will Smith aka Fresh Prince

So Nas didn't write Miami and Rakim didn't write Summertime?

I thought nas did some writing on "gettin jiggy wit it"

Nas did a lot of writing on that Big Willie album.
  • HK365
    HK365 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Options
    I actually enjoyed his Lost and Found album, the joint with Mary J especially was dope.

I don’t know if Summertime will ever not be played by mad cats during the summer, it’s timeless.