Are People In Their 30s, 40s and 50s Not Supposed To Have An Opinion?

Options

Comments

• SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    I'm 34 you don't see me in here trying to talk about ? I know nothing about. That ? is bogus. I acknowledge that I don't like it. So I ignore it. That's about it.

Right why give attention to some ? you "don't like". Its still young artist making good music, highlight them so the ones who aren't making the good music can at least see what the bar is.

This the IC. ? gone give opinions regardless.

That's cool but Its kinda funny to see people mainly discuss what they don't like. Can't be happy lol
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I'm 34 you don't see me in here trying to talk about ? I know nothing about. That ? is bogus. I acknowledge that I don't like it. So I ignore it. That's about it.

Right why give attention to some ? you "don't like". Its still young artist making good music, highlight them so the ones who aren't making the good music can at least see what the bar is.

This the IC. ? gone give opinions regardless.

That's cool but Its kinda funny to see people mainly discuss what they don't like. Can't be happy lol

You right. Comedy comes from negativity amd the IC excels at it.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

You can't have it both ways. You can't say your Mt Rushmore is Pac, Nas, Jay and Big in one breath and in the next breath say that older people don't have a valid opinion regarding Hip Hop, new or old.

Nas, Jay, Big and 2Pac were born between 1968 and 1973. Their ages range between 44 and 49.

There isn't anybody born after 1990 that is going to replace those four on Mt Rushmore.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

You can't have it both ways. You can't say your Mt Rushmore is Pac, Nas, Jay and Big in one breath and in the next breath say that older people don't have a valid opinion regarding Hip Hop, new or old.

Nas, Jay, Big and 2Pac were born between 1968 and 1973. Their ages range between 44 and 49.

There isn't anybody born after 1990 that is going to replace those four on Mt Rushmore.

Cube >>> Nas
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

They all made their impact when they were young though. Big and Pac didn't even live to see the old age of 30
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ay @5 grand why you ain't include cats in their 60s or 70s? that's ageist man, you shouldn't hate someone just cause of their age. this is hip hop we better than that
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Old ppl can have opinions just dont act like everyone should respect the old school cats

Same way these young sissified kids cant expect the older crowd to get down with their ? either

And someone lock 21 savages social media...everyone knows being the drug user is weak minded ?
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course you can have have an opinion.....Just dont try to force it on people....I really only talk this music ? with people my age...If some 25 and under cat happens to respect my era and chimes in cool....
  • Nechesh358
    Nechesh358 Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Options
    if a youngster is ready for a history lesson ill give it to them. if not then thats their loss. im not gona catch feelings over it. but when i was their age best believe i was coppin the classic tapes the older heads put me on to.
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am 35. These young rappers are garbage WE SHOULD EVALUATE hip-hop and hip-hop artist like we do any other art form. The less complex or thought provoking the creations of an artist the less respect it and it's creator is suppose to get. In addition, the less innovative an artistic creation is the less respect it gets that's how it goes and under an objective evaluation many of the current hip-hop artist are garbage.

The old old school rappers are the innovators and originators so they deserve their artistic respect.

the golden age rappers. RAKIM,ICE CUBE, KOOL G RAP, 2PAC, BIG, NAS ETC ETC ETC took hip-hop and made it complex and they innovated a lot therefore they deserve their respect.

these new guys are not complex at all and they are not innovators....... therefore most of them really don't deserve respect.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a mainstream artist meant more back then

you got placed in an era .... you was remembered .... ish like that

new rappers get 15 minutes of fame and are not regarded as legends as time goes on
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Matike85 wrote: »
    Message from 21 Savage about ? like Pete Rock & others

mbg8wfnyy7w8.png
    do4v82b68bf1.png

kxz9r9kqkucd.gif
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    CapitalB wrote: »
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Cube is more impactful to the genre than Nas will ever be..
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Out of curiosity, how would you measure impact?
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Exactly... Cube because is from the West Coast.... "The Reason Community" on This site suffers from East Coast Bias syndrome.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Exactly... Cube because is from the West Coast.... The IC suffer from East Coast Bias syndrome.

I'm just going to come straight out and say it:

NWA and Cube were dope for their time. But the art of rapping/MCing evolved between 1988-1998. Ice Cube had a nice 4/5 album run (depending if you count ? At Will). But Cube raps at half the speed that Nas raps.

While I agree that Cube made a big impact in American pop culture, Nas is a better rapper. Illmatic and Lethal Injection were one year apart and Nas's wordplay and flow was eons ahead of Cube (e.g. Life's A ? and One Love). The difference between Cube and Nas is like the difference between Blues and Rock N Roll. Blues is cool and there's nothing wrong with it, but Rock N Roll was faster. Once Rock N Roll took off, Blues seemed country.

I was in Boston during the East/West beef. We thought the West Coast rappers rapped slow and basic while the East Coast rappers rapped at twice the speed. Granted, the other 49 states liked the slow rapping better and it sold more, but Nas, Big, Raekwon, ? , Ghost, AZ, Jay were doing things with the mic that cats on the West Coast weren't doing.

For example, compare Natural Born Killers to Life's A ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99C23Y8l5hU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEwSfbE9IXc

Natural Born Killaz had a dope beat and the lyrics were cool, but Nas and AZ were rapping at twice the speed of Cube and Dre.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The most bias cats always crying East Coast Bias.....
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion but understand that the younger generation runs this music ? . The old vs new is a cycle every generation goes thru. These young guys gonna be talkin that same ? when they hit 30. Its all irrelevant tho.

Everything theyre hearing is new to their developing minds. They relate to today's music bc its current to their experiences. By age 30 we heard 100s of rappers rap about 100s of subjects so the older we get we stop caring about new ? cuz to us it all sounds the same already. So we just stick to what we know add in a little nostalgia and continue to be farther removed from the current scene.

Its supposed to be that way. What intrigues me more these days is when i hear younger guys bring up some of the rappers i was into growing up. And wondering what a rapper like Nas or Pac would sound like to me if i was just turning 18 in 2017. For all i know i wouldnt even ? with them like that.
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Exactly... Cube because is from the West Coast.... The IC suffer from East Coast Bias syndrome.

NWA and Cube were dope for their time. But the art of rapping/MCing evolved between 1988-1998. Ice Cube had a nice 4/5 album run (depending if you count ? At Will). But Cube raps at half the speed that Nas raps.

While I agree that Cube made a big impact in American pop culture, Nas is a better rapper. Illmatic and Lethal Injection were one year apart and Nas's wordplay and flow was eons ahead of Cube (e.g. Life's A ? and One Love). The difference between Cube and Nas is like the difference between Blues and Rock N Roll. Blues is cool and there's nothing wrong with it, but Rock N Roll was faster. Once Rock N Roll took off, Blues seemed country.

I was in Boston during the East/West beef. We thought the West Coast rappers rapped slow and basic while the East Coast rappers rapped at twice the speed. Granted, the other 49 states liked the slow rapping better and it sold more, but Nas, Big, Raekwon, ? , Ghost, AZ, Jay were doing things with the mic that cats on the West Coast weren't doing.

Natural Born Killaz had a dope beat and the lyrics were cool, but Nas and AZ were rapping at twice the speed of Cube and Dre.

First off Dr.Dre was never considered a top tier rapper...The DOC was is writer... And Boston/ Cambridge is the birthplace for "The Source Magazine" by Dave Mays. That where the East Coast Bias syndrome mindset started from that 5 Mics album status ranking...Ice Cube was the only. 5 mic artist from the West Coast ...That's where it started and that's East Coast Bias

b7lqirfncwst.png
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

First off Dr.Dre was never considered a top tier rapper...The DOC was is writer... And Boston/ Cambridge is the birthplace for "The Source Magazine" by Dave Mays. That where the East Coast Bias syndrome mindset started from that 5 Mics album status ranking

b7lqirfncwst.png

Well I don't know who wrote Natural Born Killaz. I'm assuming Cube wrote the whole thing, but I guess its possible that DOC wrote Dre's verse. But regardless, they were rapping at half the speed of Nas and AZ. You have to admit that much. And once you acknowledge that, its not being bias, its just a matter of preferring faster, more complicated rap styles rather than slow basic rapping.

Back in the 50s when Blues and Rock N Roll were coexisting cats up North liked Rock N Roll while cats down South were still listening to Blues. Its not regional bias, it doesn't have anything to do with region or geographical location, but cats up North liked Rock N Roll because it was faster. Its that simple, geography has nothing to do with it.

And btw, I used to listen to Dave Mays and Jon Schecter when they had their show on 95.3. Whenever you called in to request a song they'd ask for your name and address for a newsletter they were putting together. That newsletter was The Source. I remember getting the very first edition in the mail.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Uve used the speed of rapping before...if im reading that correctly then bone thugs and twista would be the best ever

While i agree nas is a better rapper than cube and more consistent discography.....cubes subject matter and way of laying it out is superior to nas....and subject matter should be more important than lyrical ability
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    buudcd1wepbe.jpg

Cube >>> Nas

Shutcho yo old ass up

Uve used the speed of rapping before...if im reading that correctly then bone thugs and twista would be the best ever

While i agree nas is a better rapper than cube and more consistent discography.....cubes subject matter and way of laying it out is superior to nas....and subject matter should be more important than lyrical ability

I get what you're saying as far as speed, but Bone Thugs and Twista rap so fast that I can't make out the lyrics, which ruins the listening experience (I feel the same way about Reggae, sometimes I like the song but I can't make out what they're saying)

Bone Thugs and Twista rap too fast, so fast that I can't judge their lyrics. The way Nas and AZ were rapping on Life's A ? was a different type of fast. They filled in every possible space with syllables without rapping in double time. Kinda how Big Pun and Eminem rapped in the late 90s without the punchlines, just flow.

As far as subject matter vs lyrical ability, thats all a matter of opinion.