Denzel Washington: Don't Blame The Prison System, 'It Starts At The Home'

Options

Comments

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sunlord wrote: »
    The government flooded the Black community with drugs but nobody made us sell or use those drugs..... and the viciousness at which we killed each other for them is all our fault. All races do crime but ? took ? to the pit of hell and made the communities hell.

Again foolishness that attempts to disregard America's history. Yes of course you first point is correct but if you have no other way to provide for your family what are you expected to do? I'll drop a little note to explain. All through NJ at least on record schools are desergrated but off record it's a different story. Even in my town there were two public schools, one in my part of town and one in the noticeably whiter part of town. Guess which school the majority of blacks went to. Then guess which school had overall better funding. These has been and continues to go on.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Speaking of military, you think MFs in the middle east saying "Stop blaming the Americans for everything, Ahmed - pull yourself up by your bootstraps. It starts at home" ?

Listen fam..All it starts at home means that.. if you as a family put your best foot forward and provide and equip your kids with more than just a roof over their head and sustenance

you did your job but at the end of the day.. that ? word accountability comes back into play...

faulty logic here.. not everyone in the middle east is strapping a bomb to their chest.. just like every ? aint out here ? up
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    And @Cain, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we can't talk about issues in the Black community but you can't see how one-sided the quote presented from Denzel is ?

So now we gonna act like prison exists in a vacuum ? And there ain't no traps to lock people up.

Read his quote. He said that we're making easy for them. He never said that white supremacy never existed or that prison system isn't set up to get you locked down.

Let it go

These dudes in here can’t understand a basic sentence right now

No-sign. People are explaining exactly the faults they find with dude's statements and MFs ignoring it.

More like "dudes in here can't seem to think about more than one aspect of an issue."

Simple question - did he mention racism / white-supremacy / socio-economic issues in his quote or not ?
  • twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    twenty2 wrote: »
    Are we in agreement that our condition today is directly caused by being human trafficked from Africa to the states???

If you knock over a tall glass of milk in my house , I’ll clean it because it’s my house, and i won’t let you forget that you knocked the glass over

But if you kidnap me, take me to your house,lock me in a small ass room, knock over a glass of milk and tell me to clean it up, ima look at you like you crazy ? ...? is you talkin bout...

So... If you in that small ass room with the spilled milk...and you got yo wife in there with you...and y'all just tryin to survive in that small ass room...and the milk starts to curd and stink and mold...and then y'all have a child...while still in that small ass room...and let's say you absolutely CAN'T get out of that small ass room...and that curded, stinking, rotten milk is still in there...and by now you've figured out that the muthafucka that kidnapped you has no intention of coming back to clean up the milk........Will you allow your kid to roll around and play in it?

My child literally has no choice but to play in it....or not play at all, and that’s the dilemma a lot of black parents face....what do i do?? Do i let my son play in spoiled milk...at least he can play, or do i deny him the right to play

And that sounds like you don't love your child.

Health issues and whatever else may come along with, you willing just let your child wallow in filth huh? No teaching of tactics on how to avoid that ? up spot? No "Go play over there lil ? !"?

And guess what that white man outside that lil ass room sayin while he peekin in at that rotten milk spot he so cleverly and intentionally spilled knowing of all the health risks involved all the while hoping that not only you would just leave it be but you wouldn't teach your child to do anything about it or even at the very least avoid it either... Just guess what he sayin???

"GOTCHA ? !!!"
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Speaking of military, you think MFs in the middle east saying "Stop blaming the Americans for everything, Ahmed - pull yourself up by your bootstraps. It starts at home" ?

Listen fam..All it starts at home means that.. if you as a family put your best foot forward and provide and equip your kids with more than just a roof over their head and sustenance

you did your job but at the end of the day.. that ? word accountability comes back into play...

faulty logic here.. not everyone in the middle east is strapping a bomb to their chest.. just like every ? aint out here ? up

I didn't say everybody in the middle east... and I'm 100% cool with doing your best to raise your children (obviously) - can't see what reasonable person wouldn't be BUT and here's the big part people supporting this ? seem to be missing is -

Even after you "took care of home" so to speak, there are still issues that are going to affect you. That's why Denzel's quote is oversimplifying ? .

Know how much people out here did their best raising their kids and they still ended up in jail, addicted to drugs, dropped out of school, or whatever ... ?

Why the ? MFs got a problem with people taking issue wit a half-assed, idealistic statement like that ?

For example, imagine if somebody summarized all the issues of cops, jails, police brutality, race, etc... into "It starts at home" - would that be a sufficient response ? Nope.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    98% of African Americans aren't doing bad. That's straight made up garbage.

That was a mistake on my end, blacks own 2% of the wealth, that’s as a whole, but what i meant was even in the AA community of 48 million there are only 35,000 millionaires.....48,000,000 black people only 35,000 millionaires....now again it may not be 98, but it ain’t lower than 88% and I’ll bet $ on that, if we look of the statistics for black wealth
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I didn't say everybody in the middle east... and I'm 100% cool with doing your best to raise your children (obviously) - can't see what reasonable person wouldn't be BUT and here's the big part people supporting this ? seem to be missing is -

Even after you "took care of home" so to speak, there are still issues that are going to affect you.
    That's why Denzel's quote is oversimplifying ? .

Know how much people out here did their best raising their kids and they still ended up in jail, addicted to drugs, dropped out of school, or whatever ... ?

Why the ? MFs got a problem with people criticizing a half-assed idealistic statement like that ?

For example, imagine if somebody summarized all the issues of cops, jails, police brutality, race, etc... into "It starts at home" - would that be a sufficient response ? Nope.

He wasnt writing an article.. he was responding to a question amongst many i presume. If someone ask a question about the weather you arent going to give them the environment/human factors that lead to the climate that produced the weather.. you are gonna say its raining grab an umbrella

as for the bolded people have choices in how they approach life .. barring unforeseen circumstances that are out of ones control..(that last part didnt need to be said but.. for the sake of clarity)
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are we in agreement that our condition today is directly caused by being human trafficked from Africa to the states???

If you knock over a tall glass of milk in my house , I’ll clean it because it’s my house, and i won’t let you forget that you knocked the glass over

But if you kidnap me, take me to your house,lock me in a small ass room, knock over a glass of milk and tell me to clean it up, ima look at you like you crazy ? ...? is you talkin bout...

So... If you in that small ass room with the spilled milk...and you got yo wife in there with you...and y'all just tryin to survive in that small ass room...and the milk starts to curd and stink and mold...and then y'all have a child...while still in that small ass room...and let's say you absolutely CAN'T get out of that small ass room...and that curded, stinking, rotten milk is still in there...and by now you've figured out that the muthafucka that kidnapped you has no intention of coming back to clean up the milk........Will you allow your kid to roll around and play in it?

My child literally has no choice but to play in it....or not play at all, and that’s the dilemma a lot of black parents face....what do i do?? Do i let my son play in spoiled milk...at least he can play, or do i deny him the right to play

Health issues and whatever else may come along with, you willing just let your child wallow in filth huh? No teaching of tactics on how to avoid that ? up spot? No "Go play over there lil ? !"?

And guess what that white man outside that lil ass room sayin while he peekin in at that rotten milk spot he so cleverly and intentionally spilled knowing of all the health risks involved all the while hoping that not only you would just leave it be but you wouldn't teach your child to do anything about it or even at the very least avoid it either... Just guess what he sayin???

"GOTCHA ? !!!"

Your oversimplifying it...
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    The government flooded the Black community with drugs but nobody made us sell or use those drugs..... and the viciousness at which we killed each other for them is all our fault. All races do crime but ? took ? to the pit of hell and made the communities hell.

Again foolishness that attempts to disregard America's history. Yes of course you first point is correct but if you have no other way to provide for your family what are you expected to do? I'll drop a little note to explain. All through NJ at least on record schools are desergrated but off record it's a different story. Even in my town there were two public schools, one in my part of town and one in the noticeably whiter part of town. Guess which school the majority of blacks went to. Then guess which school had overall better funding. These has been and continues to go on.

History is what it is and it's never going to change so are you going to use history as a scapegoat forever??? And by the way Blacks were poorer in the past poverty in the 1970s - 1980s was nothing compared to the depression era but we didn't ? each other so much as we did during the ? era and forward. You being poor doesn't justify murder and it is the killings that caused even black politicians to push for harder jail sentences during the ? era.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

History is what it is and it's never going to change so are you going to use history as a scapegoat forever??? And by the way Blacks were poorer in the past poverty in the 1970s - 1980s was nothing compared to the depression era but we didn't ? each other so much as we did during the ? era and forward. You being poor doesn't justify murder and it is the killings that caused even black politicians to push for harder jail sentences during the ? era.

This is why I put that timeline in the previous post and said ? aren't as smart as they think. It's not history this continues to effect present day but ? are too blind to connect that dots. Mandatory minimum were repealed only in 2010 under the free sentencing act though some states illegally still push it. Under said laws even recreational marijuana uses was punishable up to 5 years in prison which judges usually pushed for since they also had stock in the prison industrial complex. For just using a dime bag for recreational use and taking a plea since most werent able to afford lawyers you are cut off from the job market and then cut off form receiving aid for higher education. This continues to go on today with overzealous DAs and corrupt judges. Facts.

As far as your second part you continue to oversimplify the world and refuse to truly look at history. Historically crime rates were lower specifically murder rates because we don't see a major advance in weaponry until ww2/Vietnam and secondly because by the 70s and 80s government sponsored ? dealers were actively destroying Black communities and Black families on purpose.

I honestly don't understand why it's so hard for ? to admit that "hey for the majority of Black history and even to an extent today in American we have been hated and actively tried to be destroy."

Nobody literally NOBODY in this thread is arguing against personal responsibility simply saying don't be blind to what's happening and what continued to happen. And that YOU CAN BE RESPONSIBLE AND STILL FAIL. You can try your damn hardest and still fail. That's the reality of being Black in America

• twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options

"GOTCHA ? !!!"

Your oversimplifying it...

Nah...

I just refuse to view myself as helpless, hopeless, a victim, or any other thing these white folk would love for me to think of myself as... And I damn sho won't instill it into my children. I'm defiant.

I play chess... Right along wit these honkies...

And I try to teach as many as I can to play too...

Too bad ? love checkers so much...
  • sunlord
    Options

This is why I put that timeline in the previous post and said ? aren't as smart as they think. It's not history this continues to effect present day but ? are too blind to connect that dots. Mandatory minimum were repealed only in 2010 under the free sentencing act though some states illegally still push it. Under said laws even recreational marijuana uses was punishable up to 5 years in prison which judges usually pushed for since they also had stock in the prison industrial complex. For just using a dime bag for recreational use and taking a plea since most werent able to afford lawyers you are cut off from the job market and then cut off form receiving aid for higher education. This continues to go on today with overzealous DAs and corrupt judges. Facts.

As far as your second part you continue to oversimplify the world and refuse to truly look at history. Historically crime rates were lower specifically murder rates because we don't see a major advance in weaponry until ww2/Vietnam and secondly because by the 70s and 80s government sponsored ? dealers were actively destroying Black communities and Black families on purpose.

I honestly don't understand why it's so hard for ? to admit that "hey for the majority of Black history and even to an extent today in American we have been hated and actively tried to be destroy."

Nobody literally NOBODY in this thread is arguing against personal responsibility simply saying don't be blind to what's happening and what continued to happen. And that YOU CAN BE RESPONSIBLE AND STILL FAIL. You can try your damn hardest and still fail. That's the reality of being Black in America

What's happening is that even after blacks learn the history we keep on doing dumb ? . And want to blame the government who we already know doesn't give a ? . We have know about the governmental involvement in the drug trade since about the mid 80's but ? kept on selling drugs and killing for it.

Weed is illegal if you use it and get caught you face the consequence. Everyone who smokes knows that. Black Government sponsored ? dealers came from what community??? The Black community so in other words that community produced an individual of low moral character. Where did this person come from a black home.

And your technology arguments make no sense America had gun crime well before the ww2.
  • sunlord
    Options
    If you don't listen you will feel i am just going to leave it at that.
  • 7figz
    Options

What's happening is that even after blacks learn the history we keep on doing dumb ? . And want to blame the government who we already know doesn't give a ? . We have know about the governmental involvement in the drug trade since about the mid 80's but ? kept on selling drugs and killing for it.

Weed is illegal if you use it and get caught you face the consequence. Everyone who smokes knows that. Black Government sponsored ? dealers came from what community??? The Black community so in other words that community produced an individual of low moral character. Where did this person come from a black home.

And your technology arguments make no sense America had gun crime well before the ww2.

There go that losing ass argument - "We keep doing dumb ? "... who the ? is we ?

There's drug dealers of every ? race - there ain't gonna be no Black drug dealers ?

All races smoke weed, same question.

Self-hatred like a MF.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Bruh lol I don't know if I'm being trolled are what.
    ? keep on selling drugs and killing for it because the opportunities in said communities were limited and only started to truly be desergrated until the 1990. Even today Republicans are trying to reshape borders of towns and counties to favor whites. Even today Republicans are trying to deny blacks the chance to vote with voter id laws. Facts.

Yes weed is illegal. It's also illegal to detain someone without charging them with a crime, to search there persons, or property without a warrant, to subject them to "cruel and unusual punishment" ie 5 years for a dime bag, and to deny them from speaking to there lawyer. But you sure as ? don't seem to care about that.
    Again though it goes into a circle of limited opportunities and want on destruction of the Black community. Don't get it wrong though Italian, Irish, and Columbian gangsters were also slinging to the Black community. You go blame that on blacks too?

And I'm glad you made that last point because it clearly demonstrates the whole unable to connect the dots. I said historically America crime rights as far as murder was lower across the board for all races pre ww2/Vietnam because weaponry wasn't advance. If the average weapon pre ww2 that a gangster could get there hands on were semi autopistols and shotguns and post ww2 it jumps to fully autoassualt rifles and machine guns it's only natural the crime rate would rise since the weaponry is more advance, deadly, fully automatic, and carries more rounds. Again ? refuse to think and connect the dots to see how our past currently is affecting our present.
    And again nobody shrugging personal responsibility but in American sometimes it's not enough for black people
  • The_Jackal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you don't listen you will feel i am just going to leave it at that.

Im not going to listen to something thats wrong. You are wrong and you should be ashamed to copy the same talking points whites use and for having a general lack of knowledge of Black history in America
  • sunlord
    Options

There go that losing ass argument - "We keep doing dumb ? "... who the ? is we ?

There's drug dealers of every ? race - there ain't gonna be no Black drug dealers ?

Self-hatred like a MF.

All races do all that ? but when we do it our communities turn into shooting galleries.... and that's a significant difference I tried to point out. if we could do crime the way the Italians did it or the Chinese did it we would be much better off but noooo blacks have such a low regard for each other that the places were we live continue to have higher murder rates than any place else. Why??? Low moral character created in the home. Are there outside forces pulling at the souls of young black men?? Yes but if the moral fiber of our men was stronger it wouldn't be this bad.

White drug dealers don't move like black drug dealers. White drug dealers don't have the same amount of societal hatred directed at them. But that has nothing to do with us we have to move smarter.
  • sunlord
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Who is "we" ?? we are the people/community/homes that keep creating people of low character and weakness that cannot compete in the real world so they do crime.
  • 7figz
    Options
    Who is "we" ?? we are the people/community/homes that keep creating people of low character and weakness that cannot compete in the real world so they do crime.

If your "we" includes people who ain't doing that ? but doesn't include the systematic racism and conditions that attribute to it then you full of ? .

Unless you talking to the individuals who are actually doing the ? and holding them responsible, then what the ? you really talmbout with the "we" ? ?
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options

Self-hatred like a MF.

All races do all that ? but when we do it our communities turn into shooting galleries.... and that's a significant difference I tried to point out. if we could do crime the way the Italians did it or the Chinese did it we would be much better off but noooo blacks have such a low regard for each other that the places were we live continue to have higher murder rates than any place else. Why??? Low moral character created in the home. Are there outside forces pulling at the souls of young black men?? Yes but if the moral fiber of our men was stronger it wouldn't be this bad.

White drug dealers don't move like black drug dealers. White drug dealers don't have the same amount of societal hatred directed at them. But that has nothing to do with us we have to move smarter.

FOH with these other races' criminals are better than Black criminals ? . If you don't realize how ? stupid you sound with that ? , I don't know what to tell you.

So now we ain't even talking about the non-criminals being accountable for the criminals in the Black community, your self-hatred runs so deep that now you're saying Black criminals need to be better criminals like the other races ?

That ? ain't even worth the rebuttal.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So when a black person goes on to do something great do we give white ppl the credit for “allowing” it?
  • 7figz
    Options
    So when a black person goes on to do something great do we give white ppl the credit for “allowing” it?

Why would we - if they had to do it despite the oppression and racism in this country ?

It's either you believe it exists and has an effect or it doesn't. That's what you basically arguing against.

MFs saying it's relevant - and y'all MFs seem to be saying it's not.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    He's right.

Hes half right

The system is to blame...statistics prove that

But black people do make it easy
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    He's right.

Hes half right

The system is to blame...statistics prove that

But black people do make it easy

He said we are making it easy for them
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Black people thrive in spite of America. It has nothing to do with whites helping and more to do with understand out economic, political, and social history in this country. Teaching personal responsible and the complex part that a black child plays in today society should go hand in hand in my opinion. They need to have good character but also know that traps are hidden blatantly in our faces such as voter id's laws, mandatory minimum, illegal stop and searches, etc etc.