Master P To Colin Kaepernick: Let's Start Our Own League

Options
124»

Comments

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it can be done, but you have to have realistic expectations. You can't think of a comes comparison to the NFL in 2017. You have to consider that there will be growing pains and you make not make any money for a while.

I think a good way to start would be to start getting these top high school athletes to go to HBCUs. I think that should be the first step.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It wouldn't make it because the NFL is too powerful. USFL and XFL failed. It would be on the lines of Arena League football (which is failing too) Maybe a flag football league.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never a was fan of his music, but I definitely admire his drive and business acumen. P's has made several good business decisions.

I don't understand why anyone would be against the idea of trying, whether you believe it would be viable is a separate concern, but the resistance to someone (another black man at that) TRYING to create something outside of the "system" I see on the IC is troublesome.

For example the comments about Levar Ball starting a shoe company, not just here, but everywhere are disgusting. I understand the criticism on his "act" but someone challenging the system and trying to control their own destiny in a business that makes billions annually on young black men is damn near being treated like its a crime.

So now P, wants to start another league (I believe that he started a co-ed basketball league this fall) and it's problem?
    Something tells me if Elon Musk wanted to start a football league or develop a high-tech running shoe and price it $300-$400, the comments wouldn't be nearly as critical for the attempt here or elsewhere...

Not sure if you indirectly ....nevermind

Problem is not everyone is on board with an idea until its already making money. That's because most of the the hardwork is behind them an the thing now is to sustain.

I don't really need to go into the lavar thing. Its never about hating...its about taking advantage and knowing when to step back. I think you are missing a lot of why certain people are against his approach. Its more than him just being black.

And you cant compare P and Ball.

You have to understand a system in order to go against it.

As for elon. Are you serious bruh?

I'm saying....we can have this talk all over if need be.

Nope. I get It. And I can absolutely compare P and Ball, because P was where is Ball is now, trying to start a company in an industry dominated by white owned corporations with little more than just an idea and the willingness to take a chance.

I guarantee there were people who thought it was crazy that he even attempted to start his own record label by selling CD's out of trunk. Probably told him xyz already exists and you need to have abc in place first etc and you don't so it's foolish for you to even try.

Furthermore, whose to say Ball doesn't understand the system? He played professional football and is an AAU coach so he's had dealings with shoe companies and sees first hand how they operate. That's probably why he figured he could play his hand the way that he has. If it doesn't work, it's on him. But I don't get people who believe he shouldn't even have the idea or even attempt anything. That's my issue...

well I see p an ball as different because p was hustling for himself....by himself from the gate. he put in the hard work and was proven locally and with his work ethic and good product...it sold itself. he didn't need to fluff anything or make promises or distractions or change the music. he went head in from his trunk not worrying about who he gonna stick it to. all Ps talk was backed up.
    hustlers ambition.

built and put no limit on his back.

as far as ball knowing the system...I must disagree. everything I seen up to this point has shown he's stumbling thru. I hope he focuses at some point in his company and not on the spotlight . before someone says it's because of him they got the attention...its also because of him they lost a lot.

Then, we're just going have to disagree on this one Bro...

Its ok.

Thank you for being a grown up about it.

Respect bruh.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    They would have to start drafting ? out of high school since college players don't get paid and have to stay 3 years any money for them would be an upgrade. He would have to compete with college instead of the NFL but he would still need stadiums to play at
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    Or since black colleges don't make much off the football program get them to drop out of the ncaa and start paying ? to play there. Each owner could use a different black college for their team to play at and kick the school some of the profits since they are underfunded anyway. Those schools already have stadiums training staff ECT.

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing that nobody mentioned is that there is a players union.

I don't know the rules and/or bylaws of the players union but they might have the clout or resources to demand more money, or demand equity in the league itself.

There's 32 teams, but those teams aren't worth anything without the players. If the players demanded equity in the league, or equity in the teams they play for things could change.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a very ambitious idea

Having your own league, sounds beautiful when spoken out loud

But, when it comes to business, you have to be honest with yourself

Ideas mean absolutely nothing, Exceution is worshiped

Look at the NFL itself

A multi-billion dollar league, which has the average NFL franchise valued at $2.3 billion

with 32 teams, thats a combined value of $74.8 billion

If you combine all the rappers net worth (Master P, Jay-Z, Puffy, Dr.Dre, 50 Cent, etc.)

Combine all that together, what you got maybe 4.5-5.0 billion?

You need way more investors

You include Oprah, Robert F. Smith, Michael Jordan, Aliko Dagnote (richest black man in the world, net worth of 12.2 billi),

You STILL need some outside investors, financial aid to have the necessary finance in building these teams

However, you want to look at it, you would have to include other races into the business

Mexicans, Indians, Asian, African

Pretty much a league that is ran by minorities in harmony against the white man lol, though white ppl can still play

BUT, even if you get all these people from all walks of life on board, you gotta work with EGOs, preferences, and respect in what they want to see

NFL is a HUGE business and to even compete with that you have to adopt a similar foundation

So, you get the players

You have to pay the players wages and health benefits

You have to pay the coaches, personnel, staff, cheerleaders of each team

Then you have to find an arena in each respective city to host the games

Since you have the NFL contracted with most major cities sports arena

You have to find some sports stadium that is not occupied around that time, pay the owner of that stadium to use the arena on designated days

Then you have to broadcast these games

What network you want to use? BET?

Well since Viacom is the parent company of BET, you know who going to get a cut of the revenue, white people

NFL has multiple ways to distribute their product

ESPN, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS

You would have to do business with them regardless, if you want to increase the viewing audience

And I haven't even talked about the marketing strategy or the commission of the league that assists in regulating the games

It's a complicated, intricate, complex set up, that requires a thorough business plan to execute

Not Impossible At All

But Is Not Easy To Put Into Action

This post is fuzzy math.

You don’t need 32 teams, 8 or 12 would be enough at first.

While you would need great finances 3 billion a team wouldn’t be necessary.

Tv will be the big obstacle Cuz the nfl would probably favor networks who don’t pick up the games.

A couple billion and a good plan and ? actually supporting the league would have a chance
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Hes better off trying to own a team in the NFL then going from there.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Smh at you crab ass negros trying so hard to say something negative about one of the realest, if not the realest brother hip hop has ever produced. Stop hating.

If y'all was around back in the pre-Friday era y'all would've told Cube he had money but not Hollywood money. Y'all the same negros would've told Dre he had money but not Apple money. P laughs at you small minded ? b/c 20+ years ago people like y'all told him that he dreamed too big and he was a fool for turning down his first contract. But while your favorite rappers are still rhyming for gold chains and getting ? for publishing and show money P has decades worth of paper and the financial and mental freedom to contemplate something as big as starting his own football league. You crab ass negros are just filled with too much self hate to see if for yourselves. Smmfh. The hate is realer than ever.

Cube ? makes zero ? sense what so ever. Cube wasn't trying to make a "new Hollywood".

And the Dre ? makes even less sense, since Apple is one that GAVE Dre the money.

Smh at cube wasn't trying to a make a "new Hollywood". Cube, Nia Long, Cuba Gooding, Regina King, Angela Basset, Morris Chestnut and John Singelton all made their debut appearance in Boyz In The Hood. John Singleton's entire mission for BITH was to tell stories that no one else in Hollywood was willing to tell using actors/actresses that no one else in Hollywood was willing to use. Cube was on the leading edge of a new generation that wanted to create a "new Hollywood" where young black artist could highlight their talents and that's exactly what they did. BITH is in the U.S. Congress National Film Registry and all it's stars are household names today. None of that would have happened if they would have listened to a crab ass ? like you.

"New Hollywood" meant dominating the game so Cube picked up where John Singleton left off and got into writing, directing and eventually producing. How many movies has Cube put out? How many movies has Singelton directed? How many movies has the cast of BITH been in? Singelton was offered $100k cash for his script if he agreed to not direct it just was like P was offered a $1M record deal. They both rejected those offers b/c they saw the bigger picture which is something you hating ass negros can't seem to do.

Lol at Cube wasn't trying to make a "new Hollywood". Cube IS the "new Hollywood". Cube Vision, Friday, Chris Tucker, Mike Epps, etc might not have happened if Cube had listened to you same crab ass negros. There wouldn't have been any Apple money if Dre wouldn't have seen the long term potential of Beats headphones. I'm sure there was at least one of you crab ass negros somewhere along the line telling him it wouldn't work. P and Cube have made careers out of ignoring you ? . But keep hating though. There's a weakminded, insecure, approval seeking ? out there somewhere who can't wait to hear your opinion on their dreams. Kys
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    I think it can be done, but you have to have realistic expectations. You can't think of a comes comparison to the NFL in 2017. You have to consider that there will be growing pains and you make not make any money for a while.

I think a good way to start would be to start getting these top high school athletes to go to HBCUs. I think that should be the first step.

HBCU schools still suffer from the same ncaa ? the major schools do. Making money for a program you won't see. The NCAA needs an overhaul
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

HBCU schools still suffer from the same ncaa ? the major schools do. Making money for a program you won't see. The NCAA needs an overhaul
    True, but I'd be more willing to make money for a black college than a white one as a high rated athlete. Especially now, where they would be gods if they went and got HBCUs back on real tough. The money they would make for the HBCUs would then bring more resources to build the schools up, and would turn around and put money into the surrounding communities and stimulate the hood with more jobs and programs and such, but ? don't like looking at all sides of ? . HBCUs would be swole now if we had continued to do for self and each other instead of thinking white people's everything was better than ours then. But I agree on the NCAA not being ? lol.
  • blackrain
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

True, but I'd be more willing to make money for a black college than a white one as a high rated athlete. Especially now, where they would be gods if they went and got HBCUs back on real tough. The money they would make for the HBCUs would then bring more resources to build the schools up, and would turn around and put money into the surrounding communities and stimulate the hood with more jobs and programs and such, but ? don't like looking at all sides of ? . HBCUs would be swole now if we had continued to do for self and each other instead of thinking white people's everything was better than ours then. But I agree on the NCAA not being ? lol.

I'm not that hopeful for people when it comes to the millions successful teams can generate that they will become altruistic and all of a sudden grow a heart and look out for the good of all as opposed to maximizing profit through student athletes. It would be amazing if it happened, but how many HBCU folks you know constantly talk ? about how bad the finances at their schools were handled?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not that hopeful for people when it comes to the millions successful teams can generate that they will become altruistic and all of a sudden grow a heart and look out for the good of all as opposed to maximizing profit through student athletes. It would be amazing if it happened, but how many HBCU folks you know constantly talk ? about how bad the finances at their schools were handled?
    Where are finances not handled terribly at least on occasion? These colleges stay taking money and ? it up somehow. But I'd at least like to see us get some in the first place to ? up compared to white schools. The difference in endowments and budgets in respective departments is disgusting between the two, especially when you consider how we go to white schools and don't get respected any more than we would at an HBCU, even though the white college has more resources.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A league doesnt have to have 30 teams and generate as much as the NBA or the NFL does. Those leagues took decades to get this big.

All a league really needs is enough fans to stay afloat as they build the infrastructure up year after year.

That is to say if enough people say ? the NFL and buy tickets for the new league and watch their games, in a few years it will get to nfl level and make a profit.

I dont see enough people giving a ? though.
  • blackrain
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »
    A league doesnt have to have 30 teams and generate as much as the NBA or the NFL does. Those leagues took decades to get this big.

All a league really needs is enough fans to stay afloat as they build the infrastructure up year after year.

That is to say if enough people say ? the NFL and buy tickets for the new league and watch their games, in a few years it will get to nfl level and make a profit.

I dont see enough people giving a ? though.

A league needs more than just the fans to stay afloat...this is why the NFL can continue to profit even amidst dropping ratings
  • blackrain
    Options

Where are finances not handled terribly at least on occasion? These colleges stay taking money and ? it up somehow. But I'd at least like to see us get some in the first place to ? up compared to white schools. The difference in endowments and budgets in respective departments is disgusting between the two, especially when you consider how we go to white schools and don't get respected any more than we would at an HBCU, even though the white college has more resources.

I'm not disagreeing that it would be great to see these top talents go to an HBCU. I'm just not sure them simply going to an HBCU means all of a sudden the desire to profit will be trumped by the needs of student athletes to not be ? over