Two black corporations sold off to whites.. (Sundial & OWN)

Options
13»

Comments

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and lets not act like i didnt see a ? admitting to being in finance..
    i see your angle now.

ill stay quiet an give props until the next battle.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif

SMH......? u been known that finance is my background

that's why I a lot of times I was clowning ur "advice" when we were beefng in majority of these threads :lol:

a lot of people don't realize that when it comes to real financial knowledge

it's not about the "money", it's really about the "value"

im in training....why you trynna start the fight early?

but i actually didnt know you was in finance.....

an the only advice you think you clowned was the ? about the house....

an using you money to obtain assets creates value..but to me security comes before all else.

HTTP21lZGlhLmdpcGh5LmNvbS9tZWRpYS96TUpQbGpHRWNMS29NL2dpcGh5LmdpZgloglog.gif

money =/= value

u can buy assets all day that don't create "value"..........making money is not the same as creating value

and "security" is a feeling........it's not necessarily a tangible thing

that's why I'm skeptical of folks claiming to seek security instead of value

hence why we tend to disagree
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i see your angle now.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif

that's why I a lot of times I was clowning ur "advice" when we were beefng in majority of these threads :lol:

an using you money to obtain assets creates value..but to me security comes before all else.

money =/= value

u can buy assets all day that don't create "value"..........making money is not the same as creating value

case and point

a person can have a house.

paying mortgage...thinking they are feeling secure because they have a good job, savings and no business sense. but they want to start a business but are hesitant to do it because they must still pay the mortgage.

three weeks later the person loses their job. but figure they can live off savings until their unemployment kicks in.

unemployment doesnt kick in for whatever.....but they still have savings.....

saving eventually get low and they begin to miss mortgage payments all while looking for work.
    what would you tell this person?

well i am a person that once missed a mortgage payment because of losing a job...while i did correct ? ...that is a feeling that i could not sleep with know it could happen again. so i paid off my house ASAP.

now i have a sense of security. things can still happen...but it might be a while before i lose a house now AND a person with no business sense will have a bit more heart to go after building a business since the mortgage is not a factor.

so while i understand your point and never claim to not understand it...i rather not have that type debt. i feel free to make moves and take greater risks without having to worry too much about what needs to be paid.

so my security and comfort while not tangible...it does have unlimited value.

my only worry is if a 809 number comes up on my phone while wifey has it.

im actually meeting with a guy in finance this week and he invited me to his village over christmas to talk business. even tho you still owe me that fade UBS is a good company you should try to get into. the banks here are always looking for native english speakers.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    i see your angle now.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif

money =/= value

case and point

paying mortgage...thinking they are feeling secure because they have a good job, savings and no business sense. but they want to start a business but are hesitant to do it because they must still pay the mortgage.

three weeks later the person loses their job. but figure they can live off savings until their unemployment kicks in.

saving eventually get low and they begin to miss mortgage payments all while looking for work.

well i am a person that once missed a mortgage payment because of losing a job...while i did correct ? ...that is a feeling that i could not sleep with know it could happen again. so i paid off my house ASAP.

now i have a sense of security. things can still happen...but it might be a while before i lose a house now AND a person with no business sense will have a bit more heart to go after building a business since the mortgage is not a factor.

so while i understand your point and never claim to not understand it...i rather not have that type debt. i feel free to make moves and take greater risks without having to worry too much about what needs to be paid.

im actually meeting with a guy in finance this week and he invited me to his village over christmas to talk business. even tho you still owe me that fade UBS is a good company you should try to get into. the banks here are always looking for native english speakers.

my beef with this is that u used a house with a mortgage instead of an apt with rent

how many mofos in that same situation paying rent and lost their job and had to miss a rent payment?

in the homeowner's case they generally got 3 mos to do something about their situation

in the apt renter's situation they pretty much got a 1 mo or so to make a move depending on their state laws

so why not just admit that financial security doesn't exist for either party?

reason I say that is because if the homeowner is stacking their bread from those mortgage deductions, that is a little nest egg right there

the problem isn't missing a mortgage payment, the problem is the homeowner only had one source of income so they were ? when they lost their job regardless

now why wouldn't I tell someone to stack their bread and create a 2nd source of income, which was my answer to your mortgage thread.........for some reason that kept going over your head

ur post is an example of what I mean when I say security is not tangible asset, security is what u personally define it as

so u own the house, but u can't pay for utilities so u living there with no lights or water.........that's not financially secure IMO
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i see your angle now.

UFC-move-4.gif
    giphy.gif

money =/= value

case and point

my beef with this is that u used a house with a mortgage instead of an apt with rent

how many mofos in that same situation paying rent and lost their job and had to miss a rent payment?

in the homeowner's case they generally got 3 mos to do something about their situation

in the apt renter's situation they pretty much got a 1 mo or so to make a move depending on their state laws

so why not just admit that financial security doesn't exist for either party?

reason I say that is because if the homeowner is stacking their bread from those mortgage deductions, that is a little nest egg right there

the problem isn't missing a mortgage payment, the problem is the homeowner only had one source of income so they were ? when they lost their job regardless

now why wouldn't I tell someone to stack their bread and create a 2nd source of income, which was my answer to your mortgage thread.........for some reason that kept going over your head

ur post is an example of what I mean when I say security is not tangible asset, security is what u personally define it as

so u own the house, but u can't pay for utilities so u living there with no lights or water.........that's not financially secure IMO

it didnt go over my head but how many people you know that want to get into a second source of income an they in an apartment? lets keep it 100.

even with a mortgage.....most people are trapped into keep paying for something...an when a nest egg appears.....they want something to show people they have money....hence cars with payment.

most people dont understand second incomes and if they do..most think about it after they are already committed to a mortgage.

as far as having a house with no lights...hey ill take that over sleeping under a well lit bridge. i simple wendys job can pay a light and water bill. but could not be thought about when paying a mortgage.

in this bad situation...i rather have a house and get whatever to pay utilities.. i wont be so pressed about needing the big job.

so i ask you.....how many people that you deal with are truly ready to create a second income? im not talking about have the money too do it...i saying have the heart and knowledge to do it.

i will blow $100k on getting outta debt before i blow $100k trying to create more income.

it may sound crazy to you and in your field...but for me....i need piece of mind. i lower my debt the more secure i feel since lower paying jobs are faster and easier to get ? forbid everything goes left.
  • blakfyahking
    edited December 2017
    Options

it didnt go over my head but how many people you know that want to get into a second source of income an they in an apartment? lets keep it 100.

even with a mortgage.....most people are trapped into keep paying for something...an when a nest egg appears.....they want something to show people they have money....hence cars with payment.

most people dont understand second incomes and if they do..most think about it after they are already committed to a mortgage.

as far as having a house with no lights...hey ill take that over sleeping under a well lit bridge. i simple wendys job can pay a light and water bill. but could not be thought about when paying a mortgage.

in this bad situation...i rather have a house and get whatever to pay utilities.. i wont be so pressed about needing the big job.

so i ask you.....how many people that you deal with are truly ready to create a second income? im not talking about have the money too do it...i saying have the heart and knowledge to do it.

i will blow $100k on getting outta debt before i blow $100k trying to create more income.

it may sound crazy to you and in your field...but for me....i need piece of mind. i lower my debt the more secure i feel since lower paying jobs are faster and easier to get ? forbid everything goes left.

yeah the concept did go over ur head.....cuz why even buy a house if u don't plan on taking advantage of the benefits home ownership provides vs. renting?

the issue u stating at the bolded is the source of many financial problems.....people wait until ? happens and then they decide to get all stressed out trying to do something about it

when most financial problems can be eliminated in advance aka "if u fail to plan, then u obviously plan to fail"

don't tell me about being confused about getting a second income when truthfully u should already be planning for advancement in ur primary job..........if u and wifey both work then her job is secondary income........if ya'll can't live off one 1 salary after a job loss then u bought too much house to begin with

if u blow 100k trying to get out of debt but u don't completely pay it off, guess what........u still in debt bruh

but if the cat in debt still got his 100k in cash, it don't take 100k to set up additional income........if u too uneducated to use 100k in order to set up a secondary source of income then u gon ? ur money up eventually no matter what u do

and let's keep it all the way real, if u can't afford monthly utilities then u ain't gon be able to pay for property taxes either...........u still gon end up sleeping under a bridge my ? haha

ur financial security is all emotions.......u are never really secure if u don't know how to use credit and don't know how to plan for contingencies........u think paying off a house is doing something but all u are doing is delaying the inevitable
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

yeah the concept did go over ur head.....cuz why even buy a house if u don't plan on taking advantage of the benefits home ownership provides vs. renting?

the issue u stating at the bolded is the source of many financial problems.....people wait until ? happens and then they decide to get all stressed out trying to do something about it

when most financial problems can be eliminated in advance aka "if u fail to plan, then u obviously plan to fail"

don't tell me about being confused about getting a second income when truthfully u should already be planning for advancement in ur primary job..........if u and wifey both work then her job is secondary income........if ya'll can't live off one 1 salary after a job loss then u bought too much house to begin with

if u blow 100k trying to get out of debt but u don't completely pay it off, guess what........u still in debt bruh

but if the cat in debt still got his 100k in cash, it don't take 100k to set up additional income........if u too uneducated to use 100k in order to set up a secondary source of income then u gon ? ur money up eventually no matter what u do

and let's keep it all the way real, if u can't afford monthly utilities then u ain't gon be able to pay for property taxes either...........u still gon end up sleeping under a bridge my ? haha

ur financial security is all emotions.......u are never really secure if u don't know how to use credit and don't know how to plan for contingencies........u think paying off a house is doing something but all u are doing is delaying the inevitable

well aint this a situation then.

we gonna have to agree to disagree.

wifey and i have been at a just in case 1 income before i acquired anything....before any business. now once everything started...i paid everything off...an continued to purchase and invest...but i was able to do that with a clear mind.

you are stating emotion...but people make decisions everyday off emotion. i started a thread a while back where people were saying they needed such an such or wanted to guarantee this before making this decision.
    no matter which way you spell it..its still based off emotion.

everyone is not prepared to take leaps forward or educate themselves....even if they got alot of a little bit of money. plenty of people on this site dont want to educate themselves...they want to be told step by step step what to do.

its funny the things you are saying in your last post.

reason being.....those very things you are saying...i have said millions of times on here and many years ago to many people...all i do is think of the what ifs...an thats why 1 income was our first goal and second was paying off the house.
    and yes credit can be helpful but you also have to know who you are as a person an know how to use it.

i recently made a purchase with cash that i should have used credit for. aye...lesson learned. and thats why my next step is speaking with a banker to not make the mistake again. and yes, i spent a ? load of money...but it wasnt due to reasons some may think....
    now while it may look like i dont know what i was doing.....i know who i am and what credit was to me. i had to be real with myself an know that it wasnt the time and now is the time.

and lastly...if someone cant pay for utilities or taxes...then they need to sell the house and start over vs having it taken...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My $0.02

If you have an extra 100k, rather than deciding if you should pay off your debt or start a business, there's a third option. Sadly many people don't fully understand the third option.

There's something called a series 7 exam. Its what stockbrokers take to be registered with the SEC. The information on the series 7 exam isn't taught in schools. You can't go to college and take courses that will teach you how the stock market works. You have to figure it out for yourself.

Once you understand how it works, if you have $100k you'll be set for life.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    My $0.02

If you have an extra 100k, rather than deciding if you should pay off your debt or start a business, there's a third option. Sadly many people don't fully understand the third option.

There's something called a series 7 exam. Its what stockbrokers take to be registered with the SEC. The information on the series 7 exam isn't taught in schools. You can't go to college and take courses that will teach you how the stock market works. You have to figure it out for yourself.

? ? might be still paying off student loans.

while i understand investing in yourself.

one of my points is ..how many people will know how to act with an instant 100k?

nd if you had to give them advice what would you tell them?

while i can agree with my nemesis ....im not sure about using it for this exam unless thats already the path you planned on taking.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Also, $70 million seems kind of low.

The network must not have been doing that well.

Otherwise, there'd be no reason to sell a 25% stake.

Guess she just decided to cut her losses.

The ? are you talking bout?

That 25% at 70 million means the company has a valuation of close to 300 million in just 6 years.

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't knock them for getting their money.

With Oprah and Bob Johnson with BET. It's their companies so they can do whatever they want to do but with tv and media always being so important in shaping narratives we as black people NEED those outlets.

We talk about how even so called left leaning media channels run with the white lone wolf talk. Well OWN network and BET if they were still black owned could tell the truth and say these white people are terrorist and they aren't lone wolves. We would also be able to counter the one black person did it so all black people will or are liable to do it speech that these white media stations put out in regards to us.

Black people need to shape the narrative for black people and we NEED black owned stations and channels in order to do that and selling them off to white owned corporations is not going to allow that to happen.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    My $0.02

a series 7 exam is for if u want to be a stockbroker.............u don't need to be a stockbroker to invest in financial markets

and yes u can go to college to learn about how the stock market works......that's what people like me did when we got degrees in finance lol

it's actually prob better to get a full degree vs just trying to use the series 7 exam as a shortcut to knowledge

unless u literally plan on working on Wall Street or a bank with a brokerage arm, there is really no point to getting a series 7 license just for the fun of it

plus there are better investments u can make with 100k vs just hitting the stock market
  • blakfyahking
    Options

well aint this a situation then.

we gonna have to agree to disagree.

wifey and i have been at a just in case 1 income before i acquired anything....before any business. now once everything started...i paid everything off...an continued to purchase and invest...but i was able to do that with a clear mind.

you are stating emotion...but people make decisions everyday off emotion. i started a thread a while back where people were saying they needed such an such or wanted to guarantee this before making this decision.
    no matter which way you spell it..its still based off emotion.

everyone is not prepared to take leaps forward or educate themselves....even if they got alot of a little bit of money. plenty of people on this site dont want to educate themselves...they want to be told step by step step what to do.

its funny the things you are saying in your last post.

reason being.....those very things you are saying...i have said millions of times on here and many years ago to many people...all i do is think of the what ifs...an thats why 1 income was our first goal and second was paying off the house.
    and yes credit can be helpful but you also have to know who you are as a person an know how to use it.

i recently made a purchase with cash that i should have used credit for. aye...lesson learned. and thats why my next step is speaking with a banker to not make the mistake again. and yes, i spent a ? load of money...but it wasnt due to reasons some may think....
    now while it may look like i dont know what i was doing.....i know who i am and what credit was to me. i had to be real with myself an know that it wasnt the time and now is the time.

and lastly...if someone cant pay for utilities or taxes...then they need to sell the house and start over vs having it taken...

what's funny is that u really ain't disagreeing with me

cuz u and ur wife basically did the ? in the way I described based on ur last post :lol:

I understand ur ego won't just let u say that I know what I'm talmbout and u might not be in my league when it comes to financial knowledge haha..........? never want to give props but ah well

but anyways if a person ain't ready to educate themselves before making major money moves, then they can't look surprised when ? goes bad

it's too much free information out here, and like u said.........too many mofos are too lazy to do their own homework when it comes to learning the basics, they want everything fed to them for free in little pieces

my beef is that everything isn't as extreme in one way or the other, and cats should be more willing to help each other instead of competing

that's why right now mofos always think cashing out is the answer instead of thinking long term like this thread
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    My $0.02

a series 7 exam is for if u want to be a stockbroker.............u don't need to be a stockbroker to invest in financial markets

and yes u can go to college to learn about how the stock market works......that's what people like me did when we got degrees in finance lol

it's actually prob better to get a full degree vs just trying to use the series 7 exam as a shortcut to knowledge

unless u literally plan on working on Wall Street or a bank with a brokerage arm, there is really no point to getting a series 7 license just for the fun of it

plus there are better investments u can make with 100k vs just hitting the stock market

Well the point I was trying to make is that once you understand how the market works you don't need a job on Wall St, all you need is $100k.

And the point of getting a series 7 exam isn't necessarily to get a job working for a firm. It's an IQ test. You need a 72 to pass. A lot of people study for the test and can't pass.

If you have a college degree in anything (I have a degree in Criminal Justice) all you need is an understanding of how the market works, how investments are taxed, how to calculate yields and most importantly how to buy and sell securities.

There's people out there with PhDs that don't know how to buy a stock.
  • CEOFABRIC
    CEOFABRIC Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Options
    Business isn't always about race. You build a company to the point that you can sell it for "X" amount times it's current worth. Question is did they sell 100% or do they still have equity or say.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    My $0.02

Well the point I was trying to make is that once you understand how the market works you don't need a job on Wall St, all you need is $100k.

And the point of getting a series 7 exam isn't necessarily to get a job working for a firm. It's an IQ test. You need a 72 to pass. A lot of people study for the test and can't pass.

If you have a college degree in anything (I have a degree in Criminal Justice) all you need is an understanding of how the market works, how investments are taxed, how to calculate yields and most importantly how to buy and sell securities.

There's people out there with PhDs that don't know how to buy a stock.

I'll be real with u and admit that the series 7 exam really doesn't prepare u for ? except to be a stockbroker

and it doesn't even prepare u to be a good stockbroker at that, cuz most stockbrokers barely understand how markets work

and stockbrokers are basically the car salesmen of trading stocks, so even if u prepared to be a stock broker u still ain't really prepared better than either the serious amateur investor or the college kid who's been studying for years

u can open a brokerage acct today at many banks at be trading stocks immediately afterwards for $100, not $100k

books at Barnes and Noble and internet websites are a cheaper more efficient way to learn how to invest......the series 7 would be a waste of time and u would still need assistance from others
  • 5 Grand
    Options

I'll be real with u and admit that the series 7 exam really doesn't prepare u for ? except to be a stockbroker

and it doesn't even prepare u to be a good stockbroker at that, cuz most stockbrokers barely understand how markets work

and stockbrokers are basically the car salesmen of trading stocks, so even if u prepared to be a stock broker u still ain't really prepared better than either the serious amateur investor or the college kid who's been studying for years

u can open a brokerage acct today at many banks at be trading stocks immediately afterwards for $100, not $100k

books at Barnes and Noble and internet websites are a cheaper more efficient way to learn how to invest......the series 7 would be a waste of time and u would still need assistance from others

Trading with $100 doesn't work because there's an $8 fee to buy and sell. So unless your stock goes up $17 its pointless.

But you're right about stockbrokers, they just rip people off. That's why I'm saying YOU need to understand how the market works. For example, athletes and entertainers get checks for $Millions and they trust their financial planners and stockbrokers who just rip them off.

This is what I'm talking about

3f952db3-eab2-4d72-8cc3-72c50e46b798_1.407f2de6a94df6dc9ec4003a5fd454dd.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Also, $70 million seems kind of low.

The network must not have been doing that well.

Otherwise, there'd be no reason to sell a 25% stake.

Guess she just decided to cut her losses.

The ? are you talking bout?

That 25% at 70 million means the company has a valuation of close to 300 million in just 6 years.

Like I said, kinda low.

Look at it like this.

Bob Johnson sold BET for a billion dollars..............BET.

Even at it's height, it can be argued that BET was never truly a first class network.

In terms of overall popularity/ratings, OWN has never even come close to BET when BET was at it's peak.

So, I guess..........in a sense...........you might actually be right.

$70 million for a 25% stake is just about right for a struggling network that hasn't quite done as well as expected.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Interesting perspective on OWN and BET:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LY_tBCQi0

I'm only a few minutes in, but the first few minutes pretty much sums it up.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Trading with $100 doesn't work because there's an $8 fee to buy and sell. So unless your stock goes up $17 its pointless.

But you're right about stockbrokers, they just rip people off. That's why I'm saying YOU need to understand how the market works. For example, athletes and entertainers get checks for $Millions and they trust their financial planners and stockbrokers who just rip them off.

This is what I'm talking about

3f952db3-eab2-4d72-8cc3-72c50e46b798_1.407f2de6a94df6dc9ec4003a5fd454dd.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

thats because they have no financial literacy and need to put trust in anyone who can talk fast and shw them what they bottom line would be....then they begin to milk them. thats why it needs to be taught before they get the millions.
    financial planning is what you mean.....not series 7.

these ? may need help with someone telling them what to do with their money without controlling their money.