how come you havent started your own business yet?

Options

Comments

• sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    sunlord wrote: »
    Working for someone else may be lucrative for YOU but you won't be able to pass that onto your grandkids because unless you are royalty they won't inherit your job.

Who said you need to pass mass wealth to your grandkids? That's how we get these self absorbed, out of touch, old money ? like the Trumps walking around. Give your kids the tools they need to make a life for themself and then let them go make their own way in life. See how there are different views on how life is to be lived? Does that make me or you wrong? No, just different. Both are needed for either to succeed.

kinda like showing ya ? on the net?

What does that have anything to do with my post? Holla at me when you're out your feelings.

Along with passing on wealth you are supposed to pass on morals and principles so that they don't become totally self absorbed.

Your perspective is totally feminine and PASSIVE. Men like to set a path for their families we like to lead WE have plans and goals for our sons. Letting YOUR CHILDREN just go their own way is ? foolish and is the same as letting them go astray. If they decide to rebel then they rebel but your responsibility is to leave something substantial for them.

They can make the best lives for themselves with the tools you leave them if you leave them inferior tools they will make an inferior life.

Again you can achieve this without owning your own business

No in most cases you cannot. didn't i just explain to you what wealth is??? are you not ? reading ???
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not everybody is suited for owning a business and not every skillset is best utilized by being self employed.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm feeling like I have to invest in myself at this point, and why not.
  • sunlord
    Options
    Not everybody is suited for owning a business and not every skillset is best utilized by being self employed.

This is true which is part of the reason why not every one can be wealthy
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get a break from work starting end of next week. During that time I'm going to sit down with the wife and get back on track. I started an LLC back in '13 with the goal of our first endeavor to be taking advantage of the real estate market here in the D. Started getting our business credit file going and looking for financing.

I realized that the game is rigged. The city has a land bank where they put all the abandoned homes into and there's a lot of fuckery going on. The feds are investigating it actually. Still, there's some wiggle room and I'm thinking about selling our house to get some cash to invest in the business. I bought it in '14 and could get around 90-100k over purchase price.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WHY is this white ? interrupting?? the brothers are trying to build/have a positive conversation

she is a white woman she can always sell ? or wait for a man to take care of her..... but for us men and this goes for all races of men but especially black men we have to build some ? for the babies.

@Kat ' s Mexican.
  • sunlord
    Options
    WHY is this white ? interrupting?? the brothers are trying to build/have a positive conversation

she is a white woman she can always sell ? or wait for a man to take care of her..... but for us men and this goes for all races of men but especially black men we have to build some ? for the babies.

@Kat ' s Mexican.

A white mexican
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Working for someone else may be lucrative for YOU but you won't be able to pass that onto your grandkids because unless you are royalty they won't inherit your job.

Who said you need to pass mass wealth to your grandkids? That's how we get these self absorbed, out of touch, old money ? like the Trumps walking around. Give your kids the tools they need to make a life for themself and then let them go make their own way in life. See how there are different views on how life is to be lived? Does that make me or you wrong? No, just different. Both are needed for either to succeed.

What does that have anything to do with my post? Holla at me when you're out your feelings.

Along with passing on wealth you are supposed to pass on morals and principles so that they don't become totally self absorbed.

Your perspective is totally feminine and PASSIVE. Men like to set a path for their families we like to lead WE have plans and goals for our sons. Letting YOUR CHILDREN just go their own way is ? foolish and is the same as letting them go astray. If they decide to rebel then they rebel but your responsibility is to leave something substantial for them.

They can make the best lives for themselves with the tools you leave them if you leave them inferior tools they will make an inferior life.

shes-right-you.jpg

It really boils down to what you do for a living and your planning that determines what you can pass on to your kids. I mean, if I were on a long-term contract getting $75/hr and I lived off of 40% of that and stuck the remaining 60% somewhere pre-taxed, within 5 years I have a sizable chunk of change. I could buy real estate and invest the money in stable stocks or mutual funds, etc. If I kept that up until I retire at about 70 years old I'd have quite a bit to pass on to my kids once I'm gone.

Think of the cats out there that make even more than that. I know a cat in Tha D that does corporate sales for Honeywell and sees $400K-$500K a year and has been in it since the mid-90's. Think there's nothing for his kids or grandkids? There are plenty of people making 6 figures that punch a clock, so to speak, that can sit on millions by the time they retire. It's all about how you go about investing your money for the future. My great grandfather worked for GM in the plants for most of his life. He invested his money all over the place with the intent of passing it down to all of us when he passed. The only thing that stopped it was nearly all of it had to be liquidated to cover his healthcare when he got into his 90's. Had he not gotten so sick and just died from old age, his accumulated wealth would have passed down all the way to me and my siblings and cousins; his great grandchildren.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still in very early stages, because of reasons and so much learning over the past few short years, but I'm putting my all into using lifestyle, entrepreneurship, design work, music production as a way to get my name/label out there and fill a certain place in people's worlds. So far i'm on track so i consider that a success right there
  • konceptjones
    Options

@Kat ' s Mexican.

A white mexican

@Kat wears dickies with a white wifebeater, black handkerchief on her head with locs and ferrari red lipstick when she's out and about during the day.
  • sunlord
    edited December 2017
    Options

shes-right-you.jpg

It really boils down to what you do for a living and your planning that determines what you can pass on to your kids. I mean, if I were on a long-term contract getting $75/hr and I lived off of 40% of that and stuck the remaining 60% somewhere pre-taxed, within 5 years I have a sizable chunk of change. I could buy real estate and invest the money in stable stocks or mutual funds, etc. If I kept that up until I retire at about 70 years old I'd have quite a bit to pass on to my kids once I'm gone.

Think of the cats out there that make even more than that. I know a cat in Tha D that does corporate sales for Honeywell and sees $400K-$500K a year and has been in it since the mid-90's. Think there's nothing for his kids or grandkids? There are plenty of people making 6 figures that punch a clock, so to speak, that can sit on millions by the time they retire. It's all about how you go about investing your money for the future. My great grandfather worked for GM in the plants for most of his life. He invested his money all over the place with the intent of passing it down to all of us when he passed. The only thing that stopped it was nearly all of it had to be liquidated to cover his healthcare when he got into his 90's. Had he not gotten so sick and just died from old age, his accumulated wealth would have passed down all the way to me and my siblings and cousins; his great grandchildren.

BOTH YOU AND HER ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION. I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT PASSING DOWN WEALTH Not MONEY OR EVEN unsubstantial non voting STOCK. You can pass down money or even stock but those things are the results of wealth not really wealth itself.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the distinction between money and wealth, the cash your granddad could have left you ONCE it's spent or potentially poorly invested that's the end of it. even if you don't spend it the value of money may drop. However a business or intellectual properties or in some cases land are things that generate value from generation to generation in a way that is self perpetuating.

the "process" is the wealth not what it actually creates. Now you can use money to gain wealth but money itself is not really wealth it's just a tool
  • sunlord
    Options

@Kat ' s Mexican.

A white mexican

@Kat wears dickies with a white wifebeater, black handkerchief on her head with locs and ferrari red lipstick when she's out and about during the day.

still a white mexican
  • konceptjones
    Options

shes-right-you.jpg

BOTH YOU AND HER ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION. I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT PASSING DOWN WEALTH Not MONEY OR EVEN unsubstantial non voting STOCK. You can pass down money or even stock but those things are the results of wealth not really wealth itself.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the distinction between money and wealth, the cash your granddad could have left you ONCE it's spent or potentially poorly invested that's the end of it. even if you don't spend it the value of money may drop. However a business or intellectual properties or in some cases land are things that generate value from generation to generation in a way that is self perpetuating.

the "process" is the wealth not what it actually creates. Now you can use money to gain wealth but money itself is not really wealth it's just a tool

I actually said I could buy real estate.

Both of my grandmothers were cooks. My mother's mother left my mom, aunt, and uncle land in Texas. That land has oil on it and they're negotiating the contracts with one of those oil companies out there for drilling.

My grandmother on my father's side has land on the reservation. I'll have to ask her, but IIRC she's leasing it out for farming but the area is rich in copper and it may ultimately be used to mine for it.

My wife's mother inherited land from her mother as well. Can't remember what's going on with it but she gets money from it periodically.

My great grandfather had invested in real estate and land off of his GM plant paycheck. Again, that would have been passed down us had it not been sold off to pay for his medical expenses.

There's thousands of acres of land that can be bought out in AZ for dirt cheap. I've been eyeballing ? near the reservation for a looong time. When my money gets right I'm buying it. I saw 40 acres near Dateland, AZ going for $10K. Buy several plots like that over time and pass it down; you never know who's gonna come knocking at your door down the line looking to buy it or lease it from you.

You don't need a business of your own to buy land.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh..I'm not Mexican at all.
  • sunlord
    edited December 2017
    Options

shes-right-you.jpg

Both of my grandmothers were cooks. My mother's mother left my mom, aunt, and uncle land in Texas. That land has oil on it and they're negotiating the contracts with one of those oil companies out there for drilling.

My grandmother on my father's side has land on the reservation. I'll have to ask her, but IIRC she's leasing it out for farming but the area is rich in copper and it may ultimately be used to mine for it.

My wife's mother inherited land from her mother as well. Can't remember what's going on with it but she gets money from it periodically.

My great grandfather had invested in real estate and land off of his GM plant paycheck. Again, that would have been passed down us had it not been sold off to pay for his medical expenses.

There's thousands of acres of land that can be bought out in AZ for dirt cheap. I've been eyeballing ? near the reservation for a looong time. When my money gets right I'm buying it. I saw 40 acres near Dateland, AZ going for $10K. Buy several plots like that over time and pass it down; you never know who's gonna come knocking at your door down the line looking to buy it or lease it from you.

You said you would invest in real estate with the money that would have been handed down to you from your granddad...... saying that is not the same as saying you would buy land, there is a distinction there that you did not make clear. Like i already said " a business or intellectual properties or in some cases land are things that generate value from generation to generation in a way that is self perpetuating."

^^^^ those are examples of things that generate wealth and by the way put an asterisk next to buying land if your plan is just to go out and buy plots of land you are going to regret it.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Smh..I'm not Mexican at all.

liar, we've seen the pictures.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Granted this ain't the thread for Kat to be in...but ? you did prove her point with your reaction lol. Somebody already said...owning a business is harder than most realize and its simply not for everyone to have that responsibility. Also the "want to" factor. For many the idea of owning your own business and being your own boss seems better than it is. You really are all in and are your own source of income so ain't no sick days or pto or vacation. You miss those days you missing money. You late for a meeting or appointment that's money lost. Most folks dont like a fluctuating income and even less can handle the mental stress of knowing you and you alone are to blame if you don't make money
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a business owner. Its serious work and maturity.
  • sunlord
    edited December 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Granted this ain't the thread for Kat to be in...but ? you did prove her point with your reaction lol. Somebody already said...owning a business is harder than most realize and its simply not for everyone to have that responsibility. Also the "want to" factor. For many the idea of owning your own business and being your own boss seems better than it is. You really are all in and are your own source of income so ain't no sick days or pto or vacation. You miss those days you missing money. You late for a meeting or appointment that's money lost. Most folks dont like a fluctuating income and even less can handle the mental stress of knowing you and you alone are to blame if you don't make money

I don't know if this is directed at me but..... here's the thing if you are late for a meeting as a worker you can be fired, employees don't like don't like fluctuating incomes but are cool with knowing that they can lose all income at the whim of their bosses. The boss meanwhile can take as many vacation days as his chosen work schedule allows. At the start there will be a lot of work and suffering but as time goes on it gets easier and easier and you become happier and happier

fear, lack of ideas, lack of skill, lack of capital and lack of drive or simple contentment are the reasons why people don't start their own ? .
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead I'm working on it as I'm typing to you. When it reaches a point where I no longer need a job to survive, I'll let you know
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    See that's why I don't pick fights with Kat
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

I don't know if this is directed at me but..... here's the thing if you are late for a meeting as a worker you can be fired, employees don't like don't like fluctuating incomes but are cool with knowing that they can lose all income at the whim of their bosses. The boss meanwhile can take as many vacation days as his chosen work schedule allows. At the start there will be a lot of work and suffering but as time goes on it gets easier and easier and you become happier and happier

fear, lack of ideas, lack of skill, lack of capital and lack of drive or simple contentment are the reasons why people don't start their own ? .

No it wasn't directed at you. It was for the thread in general. And you're right as an employee you can be fired but for many being fired leaves someone to blame ie a boss, coworkers etc. Running your own business its all on you and if the IC has shown you anything it's that people are not that good at personal accountability and accepting it
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No it wasn't directed at you. It was for the thread in general. And you're right as an employee you can be fired but for many being fired leaves someone to blame ie a boss, coworkers etc. Running your own business its all on you and if the IC has shown you anything it's that people are not that good at personal accountability and accepting it

true...dont know why i keep trying....
    but fukk it
  • konceptjones
    Options

shes-right-you.jpg

You said you would invest in real estate with the money that would have been handed down to you from your granddad...... saying that is not the same as saying you would buy land, there is a distinction there that you did not make clear. Like i already said " a business or intellectual properties or in some cases land are things that generate value from generation to generation in a way that is self perpetuating."

^^^^ those are examples of things that generate wealth and by the way put an asterisk next to buying land if your plan is just to go out and buy plots of land you are going to regret it.

I never said that at all.
  • sunlord
    edited December 2017
    Options

shes-right-you.jpg

I never said that at all.

YOU are right i mixed up your post ....... but you did say you would invest in real estate and stock in which case my response to you still stands because you did not qualify what you meant by investing in real estate

and simply investing in real estate and buying stock is not necessarily creating wealth..... you would have to explain all